Photo

If I had to explain, you wouldn't understand

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ronaldo

Ronaldo

• 95 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:18

Just as an aside, does anyone know the origin of the above.

A girl from the office asked me,"as I am into bikes". She reckons it's something to do with "them Hardly Davisons".

Well I could enlighten her up to a point. She's right as I remember it from the early seventies on a Harley tee shirt; but where does it come from?

I thought it may be from Easy Rider but Google is no help on this.

Peter.

Advertisement

#2 scooperman

scooperman

• 84 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 15:49

My first time on this subforum. Sunday morning, stuck indoors waiting for tropical storm Isaac to pass by. This morning I decided to wear one of my favorite old T-shirts, and here I find someone on the Internet asking about it. I can't tell you where the quotation comes from, but maybe I can identify the shirt maker. On the front of this shirt is a depiction of a 1936 Harley EL. Above the bike it says "If I Have to Explain" and under the bike it says "you wouldn't understand." In tiny print it says "American Classics, Sebastopol CA." which I assume is the company that made the shirt. I would have bought this shirt in the late 1980s. I did a bit of Google search and apparently this was a Harley advertising logo years ago, where they showed a picture of a Harley and the logo said "Its a Harley-Davidson. If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."

Edited by scooperman, 26 August 2012 - 15:56.

#3 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 19:29

speaking of good tshirts, try these for size

http://twostrokemoto...stroke-apparel/

#4 Ronaldo

Ronaldo

• 95 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:37

Mr scooperman sir, thank you for your informative reply which in fact confirms the period Harley connection.

I still occasionally find myself using that phrase and its nice to be aware of its origin.

Many thanks, Peter.