Official :Toyota Motorsport GmbH to participate in 2012 Le Mans 24 Hours

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#1 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:23

http://www.toyotahybridracing.com/

COLOGNE, Germany – Toyota Motorsport GmbH (TMG) is delighted to confirm that it will take part in several races of the 2012 FIA World Endurance Championship, including the Le Mans 24 Hours.

More Info

Toyota Racing TS030 HYBRID:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by DracoN, 25 January 2012 - 08:28.

Advertisement

#2 jonnoj

jonnoj

• 1,114 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:26

More Info

Who's plans have they 'borrowed' ?

#3 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:26

(merged here, missed by 3 minutes)

News story on Autosport

News story on LeMans.org

Three manufacturers battling for overall honours, and now we know why the ACO has been keen in recent weeks to cut the diesels' performance advantage over petrol cars for 2012. Petrol hybrid powertrain, details not given yet about what kind of engine (either the RV8KLM engine used by Rebellion this year, or a whole new unit, rumours of turbocharging). Toyota Motorsport GmbH-designed car, roll-out expected very early next year, extensive test schedule before Le Mans. No driver announcements yet or word on their participation in the WEC, but they will be at Le Mans.

I'm excited, Audi vs Peugeot has been a great battle and adding in a third manufacturer to the fight should be fantastic for racing. :)

#4 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,803 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:29

the rendering looks magnificent.

Posted Image

#5 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:31

I have a feeling they'll be poaching one of the guys from this year's Le Mans-winning Audi, Andre Lotterer has relatively serious Toyota connections through FNippon, Super GT and the Lexus LF-A VLN programme, so I'd imagine he's going to be one of the first driver choices for this new effort.

#6 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:38

Audi, Toyota, Peugeot.. Damn it's sound good.

I just hope for a line up like that :
Posted Image

" BMW come, Toyota come, Chrysler and Mercedes come, Nissan come, and Audi come. And you, you will come ? "

#7 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:55

Add Porsche for 2014 and Le Mans could be well and truly back.

#8 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:56

I fail to see Porsche with Audi in LMP1... IMHO, if Porsche is there in LMP1, Audi will quit :(

Edited by Massa, 14 October 2011 - 08:57.

#9 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:58

the rendering looks magnificent.

http://cdn.images.au.../1318579529.jpg

It does, and I think it's great to see Toyota back in the Le Mans LMP circus. :)

#10 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:20

I fail to see Porsche with Audi in LMP1... IMHO, if Porsche is there in LMP1, Audi will quit :(

Audi replied to Porsche's announcement in the summer saying that they welcome them as competitors on the same stage. So by that, at this time we can assume that they will race against each other. (They already compete in terms of selling cars to customers in GT3 racing)

#11 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,140 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:26

Audi will race a diesel hybrid, Porsche a petrol hybrid...

Good to see another Manufacturer entry in the LMP1 class...

#12 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:39

who knows, maybe Martin Brundle gets another drive for Toyota Le mans project :p

#13 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:59

Great news.

I assume they will use Lemans to gauge their performance and then maybe in 2013 enter the WEC full time.

Motorsport needs a strong WEC, it's been a huge hole that no series has been able to fill properly.

#14 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:01

excellent news

#15 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:12

yay Toyota!

Ecstatic to see a Japanese manufacturer back in major motorsport scene! :up:

#16 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:15

Great news indeed. :up:

#17 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:28

Petrol hybrid powertrain? Do they have chance then? To compete seriously against diesels.

Edited by ivand911, 14 October 2011 - 10:29.

#18 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:32

I believe the Porsche hybrid 911 used its KERS system to improve mileage, so maybe...

#19 Linther

Linther

• 53 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:03

Petrol hybrid powertrain? Do they have chance then? To compete seriously against diesels.

I am shure they have more than just a chance, albeit not in their first year back. Presently the only manufacturers spending big money on their Le Mans contenders are Peugeot and Audi. Toyota should be able to at least get close to their budget. Hybrid technology should allow Toyota to get the fuel consumption close to the diesel cars. If they don't mess up and/or get overly patriotic with their choice of drivers it shall be an interesting race this year - and the next.

I loved endurance racing even more when it was also a competition of technical concepts, although Le Mans this year was a real stunner :love: .

Edited by Linther, 14 October 2011 - 12:04.

Advertisement

#20 Meanstreak

Meanstreak

• 454 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 13:36

In June right after Porsche's announcement: β€œThis is the decision of Porsche company, a decision in which Audi is not involved. Audi relishes the prospect of every strong new opponent at Le Mans and in the new FIA Sportscar World Championship.” //link

In addition another VAG-member, Bentley, has been flirting with the idea. Link & link.

Edited by Meanstreak, 14 October 2011 - 13:37.

#21 Meanstreak

Meanstreak

• 454 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 13:44

7% performance cut for the diesel engines for 2012. This is only the first tweak for the 2011-regulations, but before anyone gets a deja vu, this time ACO has apparently taken a lot more theoretical and serious approach. They had secret timing loops on circuits this year, data loggers on cars and in addition they've received confidential data about the engines from both "sides". And of course - now that there is interest from manufacturer(s) who do not plan to bet on diesel, perhaps the will do this properly appeared.

When Porsche comes (in 2014), that's a whole new situation because there are clear indications of a fuel limit formula (little a la Group C) for 2014. Of course the chemical differences between fuels will not go away.

Edited by Meanstreak, 14 October 2011 - 13:55.

#22 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 14:44

Not Sure but this should be the DOME chassis raced at Le Mans. It looks pretty similar to DOME's last model. Is DOME doing the technical chassis and TOYOTA on engine deal? DOME recently announced that they are working on full battery sport car...

#23 Meanstreak

Meanstreak

• 454 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 14:54

Not Sure but this should be the DOME chassis raced at Le Mans. It looks pretty similar to DOME's last model. Is DOME doing the technical chassis and TOYOTA on engine deal? DOME recently announced that they are working on full battery sport car...

Dome is not based in Cologne. Read the PR. :) If the Cologne HQ is able to design and build an F1 car, they surely can design and build an LMP.

#24 GX390

GX390

• 756 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 15:02

Good luck to them, hopefully they can take the fight to Audi and Peugeot, for sure they have a chance

#25 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 15:51

Hmm, let's see how a fully funded outfit takes the Petrol vs Diesel debate. I'm not expecting any heroics in their first year though.

#26 Meanstreak

Meanstreak

• 454 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 15:56

Hmm, let's see how a fully funded outfit takes the Petrol vs Diesel debate. I'm not expecting any heroics in their first year though.

I think the pro-diesel camp might have more reason to be scared. Scared of losing that "manufacturer vs. private team" argument. :)

#27 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 16:43

Nice. The more interest in motorsport, the better.

As for Diesel and petrol engines, I think Meanstreak is right.

#28 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 16:56

The son of GT-ONE :eek:

#29 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,469 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 21:10

Nice. I sure hope that Audi&Peugeot will stick around to compete against manufacturers like Toyota and Porsche. Diesels vs. petrol hybrids. I can't wait for next year!

#30 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 21:37

These days manufacturers hightail it as soon as things start to get tough, it'll be interesting if any of the established diesel teams effectively get kicked out of Le Mans by Toyota :stoned:

#31 Meanstreak

Meanstreak

• 454 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 00:40

http://www.mulsannes...newssept11.html

Very few technical details are available, though we understand the Toyota LMP will utilize a version of their 3.4 liter, normally aspirated, V8 that has been campaigned by Rebellion this season. Also, no mention has been made as to what type of hybrid system will be used. We suspect this decision has not been made yet. Though with such an advanced concept (remember, it will be on the track in less than 3 months--thus detail design is done and the car is being manufactured), this seems an odd detail to be left undefined considering the integration of a hybrid system into the packaging of a contemporary LMP.

#32 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:29

Significant update on the project: TMG will build the cars, but the racing side of operations will be handled by Oreca.

#33 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:53

good news

#34 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 23:25

I am shure they have more than just a chance, albeit not in their first year back. Presently the only manufacturers spending big money on their Le Mans contenders are Peugeot and Audi. Toyota should be able to at least get close to their budget. Hybrid technology should allow Toyota to get the fuel consumption close to the diesel cars. If they don't mess up and/or get overly patriotic with their choice of drivers it shall be an interesting race this year - and the next.

It's a fantastic move. :up:

Surely Nakajima will be in the driving line-up. Hardly a bad move. He can be in the B or C car with other less experienced f1 type drivers, while the sportscar aces take the lead car.

I wonder why they do not use Lexus brand instead of Toyota though. Lexus has a snooze image, maybe they are happy to keep it that way... not everyone wants to drive around in a 2.0L 4cyl n/a BMW or Mercedes with 18" wheels and a bodykit all show, no go!!

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 26 October 2011 - 23:26.

#35 Meanstreak

Meanstreak

• 454 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:47

Significant update on the project: TMG will build the cars, but the racing side of operations will be handled by Oreca.

Surprising because I guess it was fair to expect 100% in-house program. I want to believe this is not a cheapskate solution or anything but more like Oreca becoming the same to Toyota as Joest is to Audi. Peugeot build their team from scratch and needed quite a few races to get some things sorted out.

Edited by Meanstreak, 27 October 2011 - 11:50.

#36 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:10

adamcooperf1 Adam Cooper
Toyota confirms that @alex_wurz , Kazuki Nakajima and former GP2 racer Nicolas Lapierre will drive its new LMP1 car next year

#37 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:42

Sensible approach to poach Wurz as lead driver, rather than go all Japanese, although they will probably field one such line-up. Can't wait for next Le Mans already. :up: :up:

#38 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:58

Sensible approach to poach Wurz as lead driver, rather than go all Japanese, although they will probably field one such line-up. Can't wait for next Le Mans already. :up: :up:

Didn't Toyota's all-Japanese line-ups achieve the GT-One's best Le Mans results, whilst their non-Japanese drivers crashed or broke the car?

#39 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:01

They all suffered high-speed punctures, whereas the Katayama line-up was lucky enough for it not to pitch them into the barriers.

Advertisement

#40 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:17

They all suffered high-speed punctures, whereas the Katayama line-up was lucky enough for it not to pitch them into the barriers.

That was 1999, so what about 1998 when the Japanese crew were also the only Toyota finishers?

There is a point to this. Japan has a strong GT series and has plenty of experienced sportscar drivers. Maybe not the outright fastest, but perhaps better able to bring it home in one piece, which is always a good thing in any endurance series.

#41 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,140 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:44

That was 1999, so what about 1998 when the Japanese crew were also the only Toyota finishers?

There is a point to this. Japan has a strong GT series and has plenty of experienced sportscar drivers. Maybe not the outright fastest, but perhaps better able to bring it home in one piece, which is always a good thing in any endurance series.

It’s actually a good point you make. And one which I remember Hindy making a year or so back at Le Mans – the Peugeot drivers were mostly single seater/F1 drivers – who had no experience of multi class/Sportscar racing. So while out & out pace may not be their stong suit – they will find a way to stay out of trouble and finish.

#42 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:47

Dome is not based in Cologne. Read the PR. :) If the Cologne HQ is able to design and build an F1 car, they surely can design and build an LMP.

I do not mean that.

Actually Dome's last Le mans car was very successful in aspects. Taking knowledge from Dome will most certainly help Toyota to jump levels on one go. After the last race there was talks in the media that Toyota will back Dome, which never came true and ended in Dome quitting the Le mans at all. This was a strange move. I got my note based on these. Have Dome Sold their last Le Mans race car package to Toyota? Is Dome involved in development of the 2012 Le Mans car?

Dome never run Their car at Le Mans by themselves.
Dome is a constructor who assist car company for their R&D. Knowledge of Dome for the last Le mans races should be very interesting for Toyota to pick up.

#43 Meanstreak

Meanstreak

• 454 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 22:33

Have Dome Sold their last Le Mans race car package to Toyota? Is Dome involved in development of the 2012 Le Mans car?

According to Oct 20 Autosport (interview with Toshiaki Kinoshita, but not sure if this information came from him), Toyota has commissioned two chassis from Dome which were used as test mules. So clearly there has been some connection, but Dome is no longer involved.

Also: http://www.racecar-e...le-mans-return/

"Many had linked Dome to the new Toyota LMP1 project but rumours in the Super GT paddock suggest that Dome had been working on a new LMP for Toyota in 2008 and 2009 but when the marque quit Formula 1 at the end of that year the project was stopped and a new one started at TMG in Cologne, Germany. It seems certain that around 2008 a Toyota hybrid powertrain was tested in a Dome chassis at the Sugo circuit."

^ At the end of the page you can preview (read) the first pages of the article for free which is about the Dome S102 and Dome's future plans.

Edited by Meanstreak, 19 November 2011 - 22:36.

#44 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 13:10

Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Toyota announced that it carries out the shakedown test of WEC chassis at Paul Ricard on January 24-27.
http://as-web.jp/new...c_id=6&no=38247

#45 Heat

Heat

• 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 15:01

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97047

Toyota's all-new 2012 Le Mans 24 Hours contender hit the track for the first time last week.

The Japanese manufacturer's petrol-electric hybrid LMP1 coupe was shaken down over three days at Paul Ricard, starting on Wednesday. No comment has been forthcoming from Toyota Motorsport GmbH about the test, but it is understood that the car completed several hundred kilometres of largely trouble-free running.

All three of the drivers who will race Toyota's solo entry at Le Mans and in selected rounds of the FIA World Endurance Championship this year were on hand at the test.

It is believed that Alex Wurz, whose team-mates are Nicolas Lapierre and Kazuki Nakajima, was at the wheel for the first laps and undertook the majority of the driving.

Further testing is scheduled at Ricard at the end of the month, when more official details of Toyota's progress should emerge.

The car, a name for which has yet to be announced, is expected to make its race debut in the Spa WEC round in May.

Here's a video I found of a prototype/mule testing at the Nurburging. Even though it's a petrol hybrid powertrain it sounds like a full-blown electric car. Guess it will be quiet like the diesels on raceday. Once it gets wound up it seems to go.

#46 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 15:10

The Toyota EV Racer is powered by a pair of electric motors sourced from Evo Electric that deliver a total of 375 HP and 590 pound-feet of torque. Mated to a single speed gearbox, the EV Racer will sprint from 0 to 60 mph in just 3.9 seconds and will hit a top speed of 161 mph. All this while also getting a range of 124 miles.

Edited by DracoN, 16 January 2012 - 15:11.

#47 Peat

Peat

• 8,863 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 15:30

Here's a video I found of a prototype/mule testing at the Nurburging. Even though it's a petrol hybrid powertrain it sounds like a full-blown electric car. Guess it will be quiet like the diesels on raceday. Once it gets wound up it seems to go.

That's because it is a full-blown electric car. I would'nt trust the YouTube description.

I would imagine that the LMP1 will have a sequential gearbox for a start.

#48 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:46

It's certainly quick, but it looks like it understeers like a pig. Big steering inputs! And the tyre squeal is something we aren't used to!

#49 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:18

I think the lack of sound is going to be an issue - not just for spectators/fans, but also for the drivers and knowing where another car might be in relation to them...

#50 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:28

Sounds like a very fast milk float! Seems to go like the proverbial off a shovel though.