Photo

Cholmondeley Pageant of Power 2012

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 15:32

Dates have been announced for next year's CPoP - one month earlier than of late on 15th, 16th & 17th June 2012.

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 17:38

Is that close to the Festival of Speed?

Could mean an extended visit from M****.

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 18:25

They're a fortnight apart, Barry. The FoS is 29 June to 1 July.

#4 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 18:50

They're a fortnight apart, Barry. The FoS is 29 June to 1 July.

2 weeks before instead of after. Not sure if will make any difference, but I'll certainly be going. I've thoroughly enjoyed the last 2 events :)

#5 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:55

Here here best event of the year.Hope we get invited next year, our driver might have a "new toy"

#6 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:02

Here here best event of the year.Hope we get invited next year, our driver might have a "new toy"

That's if he can flog the old one Ted! :smoking: "Chumley" is due some better weather, surely??? Fingers crossed for a scorcher in 2012! :cool:

#7 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:20

Tony the "old one "is not really for sale. The new one only has one seat.

#8 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 16:34

Let's hope for a bespoke rally stage in 2012 as well as three days of blue skies and sun :)

PAR

#9 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 16:25

Latest news release:

Media information

For immediate release

Images available upon request

BIKER BOOST FOR CHOLMONDELEY PAGEANT AS ACE CAFE CONFIRMS SPONSORSHIP

• Ace Cafe London to create new ‘Rockers Restaurant’ for motorcycle fans

• 2012 Pageant to feature hot rods, all-action Supermoto course and Triumph 110th anniversary celebration

Motorcycling will feature more prominently than ever before at this year’s Cholmondeley Pageant of Power (15 to 17 June; www.cpop.co.uk), as organisers confirm a new partnership with legendary petrolhead mecca, Ace Cafe London.

With the support of Ace Cafe, the 2012 Pageant will showcase even greater numbers of motorcycles, with the cafe boosting the numbers of eye-catching hot rods and superbikes – classic and modern – on display throughout the three-day event. The iconic Ace Cafe will also host a ‘Rockers Restaurant’ at the Pageant, recreating the iconic rock ‘n’ roll atmosphere for which the venue in Stonebridge, North London is famed.

The 2012 Pageant of Power will celebrate the 110th anniversary of the founding of Triumph Motorcycles with a display of Triumph machines and a special category for the on-track programme. There will also be a new Supermoto race category, which will feature specially-designed Supermoto bikes tackling a varied-surface course made up of flat track, motocross and tarmac.

Adding to the two-wheeled spectacle, the Bolddog Lings FMX Team will entertain visitors throughout the weekend with their Freestyle Motocross display, incorporating thrilling gravity-defying stunts.

“Among the various new additions to the Pageant of Power in 2012, Ace Cafe’s involvement is perhaps one of the most exciting,” said James Hall, Event Director for the Cholmondeley Pageant of Power. “It isn’t just a famous venue among motorcyclists and petrolheads, it is an integral part of biking culture in the UK, and we can’t wait to welcome loyal fans of the Cafe to the Pageant in June.”

Now in its fifth year, the Cholmondeley Pageant of Power will take place on the Cholmondeley Estate in Cheshire from 15 to 17 June. A full event schedule and list of participants will be announced over the coming weeks, as Pageant organisers continue to reveal exciting new additions and features for 2012.

#10 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 16:42

It gets classier every year :lol:

#11 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 21:59

Are the Bolddog Lings FMX Team the same lot as assaulted our eardrums at the last FoS with their over-amplified, distorted, unintelligible commentary??

#12 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:20

What on earth is Cheshire coming to?!?! :eek:

Edited by Giraffe, 17 April 2012 - 07:20.

#13 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:13

It gets classier every year :lol:

I laughed so much reading this the tears ran down my leg!  ;)

#14 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:18

What on earth is Cheshire coming to?!?! :eek:

This part of Cheshire is off to Le Mans that weekend......mind you some of the campsites there need seeing to believing :eek:

PAR

#15 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:51

This part of Cheshire is off to Le Mans that weekend......mind you some of the campsites there need seeing to believing :eek:

PAR

They are no longer allowed to call them campsites- they are aires d'ccueil literally a "welcome area", trouble is they are anything but that too.
I had a major argument with the ACO earlier this year over the way they (mis)treat their "customers". Only by persistent escalation of the problem did I manage to book our eleven "pitches" together for the Classic. Remains to be seen what we find on our arrival.

#16 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:20

PAR

I don't know about Sarthe, but I know one place I won't be that weekend......

They are no longer allowed to call them campsites- they are aires d'ccueil literally a "welcome area", trouble is they are anything but that too.
I had a major argument with the ACO earlier this year over the way they (mis)treat their "customers". Only by persistent escalation of the problem did I manage to book our eleven "pitches" together for the Classic. Remains to be seen what we find on our arrival.

I have an invite to the Classic which clashes this year with a rather large event at Silverstone.................

#17 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 14:07

...and speaking of travelling to Le Mans; no doubt you know about the requirement to carry breathalysers in your car, along with triangle, spare bulbs, hi-viz jackets for all, life-belt and shoe polish (don't ask).... not only is it now illegal to have a sat-nav which warns you of speed-cameras but now there is also a hi-tech speed-checker aimed particularly at English visitors.

French Speed traps

If you don't read French, watch the video, all will be revealed. :smoking:

#18 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 17:35

That's the advantage of taking the frogeye to Le Mans, "It only does 85kmph officer" ;0)

#19 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 22:00

Only a week to go, anyone else planning to attend/compete ? The weather's only set to improve slightly apparently, surely we can't have yet another wet 'Chumly' ?!! I'm planning to take an inflatable dinghy just to be on the safe side. :lol:

Advertisement

#20 Louism

Louism

• 86 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:13

...and speaking of travelling to Le Mans; no doubt you know about the requirement to carry breathalysers in your car, along with triangle, spare bulbs, hi-viz jackets for all, life-belt and shoe polish (don't ask).... not only is it now illegal to have a sat-nav which warns you of speed-cameras but now there is also a hi-tech speed-checker aimed particularly at English visitors.

French Speed traps

If you don't read French, watch the video, all will be revealed. :smoking:

And if you read french, you will understand it was a bad joke from a computer programmer of the speed-camera.

Edited by Louism, 10 June 2012 - 07:14.

#21 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:32

Only a week to go, anyone else planning to attend/compete ? The weather's only set to improve slightly apparently, surely we can't have yet another wet 'Chumly' ?!! I'm planning to take an inflatable dinghy just to be on the safe side. :lol:

I hope to catch up with you this year at last, Pete. I was there on Thursday and while building of the infrastructure was well under way, the persistent rain hasn't done the organisers any favours (yet again).

There is a healthy class for AC Cobras and, for bike fans, TT hero John McGuinness is entered. I also see that two TNFers are scheduled to share commentary duties.

#22 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 15:07

I hope to catch up with you this year at last, Pete. I was there on Thursday and while building of the infrastructure was well under way, the persistent rain hasn't done the organisers any favours (yet again).

There is a healthy class for AC Cobras and, for bike fans, TT hero John McGuinness is entered. I also see that two TNFers are scheduled to share commentary duties.

I'm planning to be there on the Sunday, the re-jigged Gawsworth Rally now takes precedence on the Saturday (assuming it is not water-logged again, like it was for the original date).

#23 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 15:19

I'll be there on Friday and either Saturday or Sunday. Trying out some different photo equipment so I'm looking forward to it :)

#24 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 20:15

I'll be there on Friday and either Saturday or Sunday. Trying out some different photo equipment so I'm looking forward to it :)

I hope it is waterproof Alan! Looking at the jetstream predictions, I fear the worst... again. :cry:

#25 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:29

My tailor in Manchester runs a Ferrari and is a member of the "Supercar Driver" network who are displaying at the CPOP. He tells me that on the Sunday morning, they have arranged to have the M6 toll road closed for them for a couple of hours to enable them to have a proper burn-out before returning at lunchtime to Cholmondeley! :eek:
Not sure how they wangled that! :cool:

#26 Louism

Louism

• 86 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:35

My tailor in Manchester runs a Ferrari and is a member of the "Supercar Driver" network who are displaying at the CPOP. He tells me that on the Sunday morning, they have arranged to have the M6 toll road closed for them for a couple of hours to enable them to have a proper burn-out before returning at lunchtime to Cholmondeley! :eek:

Don't care about toll !

Ask Barrie Bird (AC Cobra Coupe #A98 owner) for a run at 190mph, do you know if that wonderful car will be there ?

By the way, how do you pronounce Cholmondeley...?

Edited by Louism, 11 June 2012 - 09:53.

#27 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:59

Ask Barrie Bird (AC Cobra Coupe #A98 owner) for a run at 190mph, do you know if that wonderful car will be there ?

Q1 - It's on the entry list
Q2 - Chumley

#28 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:57

Fanshawe.

#29 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:11

I hope it is waterproof Alan! Looking at the jetstream predictions, I fear the worst... again. :cry:

Chumudly by the look of it......... :well:

#30 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:30

A pageant through the corridors of power in high places perhaps ? :cool:

#31 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 14:15

I hope to catch up with you this year at last, Pete.

My little Wolseley Hornet race car will be in the paddock so look out for it. I'll probably be the bloke in the overalls underneath it ! :p

#32 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 14:41

Chamlay; Shirlay?

#33 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 15:12

They should have left it at it's previous summer date, methinks...... :eek:

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2012-06-11

#34 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 19:51

Sunday morning, they have arranged to have the M6 toll road closed for them for a couple of hours to enable them to have a proper burn-out before returning at lunchtime to Cholmondeley! :eek:

Raises the interesting point that, if the national speed limit does not apply on it then and they have not obtained a separate Act of Parliament for a temporary suspension, does the national speed limit not apply there at any other time?

#35 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:12

Gosh! :rolleyes: We will not know which way to look. Weather permitting.

Media information
13 June 2012
For immediate release

CHOLMONDELEY BRACED FOR “BIGGEST AND BEST” PAGEANT OF POWER EVER

• Much more to see and do – on land, on the water and in the air

• New Supercar race category will herald battle for fastest-lap honours

• Interactive activities for all ages boost the fun factor

• Ace Cafe leads biggest-ever collection of motorcycles; fast laps performed by TT racer John McGuinness

• German Sinsheim Museum sends amphibious vehicle to brave the famous British summer!

• ‘Cobras at the Castle’ will be largest gathering of AC Cobras in the UK

• Red Arrows and Tri-Services Helicopter Agility competition lead airborne schedule

The Cholmondeley Pageant of Power (15-17 June, www.cpop.co.uk), the UK’s biggest celebration of power and speed, is gearing up for its biggest and best event yet in 2012 – with more race cars and supercars, more motorcycles, more helicopters, more powerboats, and more interactive features for visitors to grapple with than ever before.

The on-track action will again be a centrepiece for the three-day event, with a packed schedule of timed sprints and parade runs taking place on the venue’s 1.2-mile circuit. The four-wheeled machinery will be an eclectic mix of classic and modern. The noisiest, if not quite the fastest, of the 100 or more vehicles taking to the challenging Pageant circuit will be the weird and wonderful collection of early 20th-century cars powered by aeroplane engines, with monsters such as the 500bhp 47-litre ‘Brutus’ taking centre stage.

The team at the Auto & Technik Museum in Sinsheim, Germany, which is home to Brutus, have been observing the recent spells of inclement weather sweeping the UK and are responding by sending to the Pageant another of their exhibits – the amphibious VW Type 166. Who says the Germans don’t have a sense of humour?!

Competition to set a new Cholmondeley circuit lap record will be intense this year, and the fastest time is expected to be set not by any of the legendary race and rally cars competing, but by one of the entrants in the new-for-this-year timed Supercar class. Entrants will include the brutally quick Lamborghini Aventador and new Porsche 911 Carrera S, and dedicated single-seat track weapons such as the British-built BAC Mono and Ariel Atom V8. Visitors can expect to witness some of the most exciting high-octane action ever to take place at the Pageant as a series of drivers make an assault on the 62.68-second lap record set by racer Nikki Faulkner in a Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera LP570-4 in 2010.

The Pageant of Power will also give visitors the chance to see a large selection of modern and classic supercars during the many parade laps throughout the weekend, including the stunning Aston Martin One-77 – one of only five registered in the UK – and the beautiful race-inspired Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale.

To mark the 50th anniversary of the iconic AC Cobra, the Pageant will host the largest gathering of the Anglo-American sports car in the UK this year, in a special display entitled ‘Cobras at the Castle’. The event is also introducing a special race category – the ‘AC Cobra 50th Anniversary Class’ – that will see the most famous Cobras, including one of only three ‘Lightweight Cobras’ ever built, compete for top race honours.

Motorcycling will feature more prominently than before thanks to a new partnership with legendary petrolhead mecca, Ace Cafe London. There will be many more eye-catching hot rods and superbikes – classic and modern – on display, and the Ace Cafe will host a ‘Rockers Restaurant’, recreating the iconic rock ‘n’ roll atmosphere for which the venue in Stonebridge, North London is famed.

Taking to the track will be a host an exciting line-up of some of the most innovative and amazing motorcycles ever seen, including the famed 500cc Moto Guzzi V8 concept, which held the record for fastest Grand Prix motorcycle for 20 years, and which will be ridden throughout the weekend by Double European Trials Champion, Sammy Miller.

Fresh from the latest in a very long line of TT triumphs will be John McGuinness, who will take to the Cholmondeley sprint circuit on the latest incarnation of the Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade. The 2012 model, raced by McGuinness for the Honda TT Legends team, celebrates 20 years as one of the world’s most iconic sports bikes.

James Bond fans are sure to be left shaken and stirred as Pageant organisers have partnered with the National Motor Museum, Beaulieu, to display a thrilling line-up of genuine Bond cars. Cars on show will include the vanishing Aston Martin V12 Vanquish from ‘Die Another Day’, complete with its twin .50-calibre autocannons, rocket projectiles, dorsal target-seeking shotguns, and a passenger ejector seat. Also on show will be the Jaguar XKR and Ice Dragster driven by Bond-villains Zao and Gustav Graves in ‘Die Another Day’, and the beautiful BMW Z8 from ‘The World Is Not Enough’.

Taking to the skies will be the ever-popular Tri-Services Helicopter Agility competition, the only public demonstration of its type in the UK, together with an air-sea rescue display by RAF Valley. Bringing added thrills will be the famous Red Arrows, Breitling Wing Walkers, Abarth 300L stunt planes and the RedHawks Duo display team.

The Pageant isn’t just about spectating – this year’s event will be more interactive than ever. Passenger rides will be available throughout the three day event in helicopters, powerboats (taking to the venue’s lakes), hovercraft and even tanks. The event also features more in-field activities than ever before, with attractions ranging from a Top Gear Experience simulator and mini tank-driving arenas, to Segway hire, quad biking and assault courses. A crèche will also be available throughout the three-day event.

“There is simply no other event in the whole of the UK that is so packed with action – on land, on our lakes and in the skies above – and which has so much for visitors to experience first hand,” comments James Hall, Event Director at the Cholmondeley Pageant of Power. “This year’s Pageant will be the biggest and best ever, with even more for people to do and see. There will be continuous on-track action, water-based thrills and aerial displays, as well as over 40 different rides and activities for visitors to participate in for themselves. The Pageant has secured its place as Britain’s most thrilling and most interactive day out.”

In 2012, the Pageant of Power has teamed up with two charities – Remount, which helps Armed Forces re-adjust to civilian life, and the Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust in Liverpool. The Pageant has pledged support to both organisations, raising funds through visitor participation during the course of the Pageant.

Now in its fifth year, the Cholmondeley Pageant of Power will take place on the Cholmondeley Estate in Cheshire from Friday 15 to Sunday 17 June, with day passes for the event starting from just £26 for an adult and £5 for a child when ordered in advance.

#36 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:18

Luckily I invested in a waterproof camera bag recently.

Waterproofs, wellies and umbrella packed :cool:

#37 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 13:09

Because I'm not great on my feet, I find the CPOP challenging to negotiate, and this is exacerbated by rainfall at the venue. I'm prepared to wait and see how the weather looks and pay on the gate. Hopefully they'll get the break they undoubtably deserve, but I't ain't looking good at the moment, I'm afraid. :well:

#38 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 18:36

Because I'm not great on my feet, I find the CPOP challenging to negotiate, and this is exacerbated by rainfall at the venue. I'm prepared to wait and see how the weather looks and pay on the gate. Hopefully they'll get the break they undoubtably deserve, but I't ain't looking good at the moment, I'm afraid. :well:

Not looking brilliant weatherwise but it will be great fun anyway. Two TNFers commentating this year, me and Steve Wilkinson. Give us a wave or a v-sign.
Chris

#39 LittleBertha

LittleBertha

• 60 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 20:01

Not looking brilliant weatherwise but it will be great fun anyway. Two TNFers commentating this year, me and Steve Wilkinson. Give us a wave or a v-sign.
Chris

I'll be deputising in the Firestone Sapphire RS Cosworth on behalf of Mark Hales who now cannot make it to be reunited with it as planned.

If it is wet I'll perhaps have more on my mind than waving....

-LB

Advertisement

#40 Auroraf1

Auroraf1

• 367 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:43

I will be there in an official capacity on Saturday and Sunday, hope to see a few of you.

#41 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:43

I will be there in an official capacity on Saturday and Sunday, hope to see a few of you.

Driving around in a Bentley again?

#42 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:47

Chris

Please only use the "v-sign" to signify that you are stuck in second gear! Likewise a single digit is acceptable if you are stuck in any gear other than second!

Just watched the weather forecast and boy am I glad I will be indoors!

:wave:

#43 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:12

Please only use the "v-sign" to signify that you are stuck in second gear!

I believe it's also acceptable if you're asking the photographer for two copies of his shot
(I think that explanation was in an Autosport caption)

#44 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:10

Just watched the weather forecast and boy am I glad I will be indoors!

:wave:

The weather predictions seem to have improved from %+**ing down to showers and sunny spells for the three days (after a good downpour tonight), which for this country is pretty darn good !! I don't think we've had a sunny warm Gold Cup for about a decade so this won't put me off. :)

#45 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:29

The weather predictions seem to have improved from %+**ing down to showers and sunny spells for the three days (after a good downpour tonight), which for this country is pretty darn good !! I don't think we've had a sunny warm Gold Cup for about a decade so this won't put me off. :)

I'm going prepared for everything bar a plague of Locusts and Nuclear attack!!

I'm a bit fed up though as I ordered a new wide angle lens over a month ago and as yet it's still not turned up :mad:

#46 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:47

I believe the locusts are on their way, Alan. Or maybe I misheard, perhaps they said Lotus.

#47 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 14:17

Early this afternoon, another gorgeous Cheshire day, warm, bright and dry...
Posted Image
Sadly, no Rachel Watts' Lotus 30 this year so we will have to make do with Andrew Bradshaw's ex-US example 30/L/12
Posted Image
Posted Image
The immaculate Smith Mk2 with new owner Richard de la Roche
Posted Image
AuroraF1's choice of transport for the weekend
Posted Image
Buy your Jody Scheckter ice creams here..
Posted Image
Sadly, Top Gear will be there but you can't have everything, I suppose.
Posted Image
Sinsheim Museum's de Dion-engined Edison-Puton monocycle

#48 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 21:23

Alan,
Any info on the Shapecraft would be welcome; a book on "unusual Elans" (don't hold yer breath, we want to do it right first time :rolleyes: ) is in the making, hopefully I'll be able to catch up with the folks involved with this car on Sunday.

Cheers,
Pete.

#49 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:29

Looks like the "Don Hands" car to me. I think its co owned by M Ricketts.

#50 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:17

Looks like the "Don Hands" car to me. I think its co owned by M Ricketts.

Thanks Ted, the French flags confused me!