• 12,531 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 17:54

Nice one! :up:

#4 fazz

fazz

• 281 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 21:26

Nice one! :up:

Great pics I spent most of saturday there, it was really busy and a lot to see. I noticed a few sold signs on some race bikes so money is changing hands. The Stafford show is certainly worth a visit the next one is in April.

I bought a MotorCycle weekly paper with a cracking colour picture of Phil Haslam on the cover winning the junior Manx in 1973 in really good condition, I am thinking of framing it.

Mark

#5 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:40

Great idea Mark, I remember that cover too. :up:

#6 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:46

It was my 18th Stafford Japanese Classic bike show so I guess I have attended everyone one of them and being an 'old fart' they seem to get harder the older I get but it is my favourite one of the two. I was looking around for some old MC Weeklies, and Motor Cycle Racing mags as I wanted to get some old stuff that I had published but have gone missing over the years. Sadly, no one seemed to have copies not even Spencer Elton. I am looking for a MCR mag dated around the middle of 1980 which has a colour center double spread of Joey on the Suzuki XR69 blasting past another rider on the straight at Donington Park. Anyone have more info?

(The original slide was never returned to me by EMAP either...)

I also wanted to purchase a copy of Ray Battersby's book on the Suzuki's but it appeared no one had that available either. So I think its Amazon now for that. :up:

Had a good look around at most bikes and took a few pics when I was given some 'time off'. :rolleyes:

Had Jim with me most of the time on my stand as he was selling some books. His old friend Andy Kershaw paid him a visit with his son to show him my work as Andy has collected some examples of them over the years. He looked well and of course he is very knowledgeable about the sport and a really nice guy. Be nice if he was to become a member on here.

Posted Image

Some more pics maybe a bit later...

#7 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:42

Nice shot, Jim. By my reckoning, the lad will be fast approaching his 80th birthday, great to see him still in good health. Still spins plenty of ripping yarns, too ! :eek:

BTW, that four-cylinder w/c Honda : would that be one of the Phil Morris replicas the lads flog round in parades ?

Edited by GD66, 17 October 2011 - 10:46.

#8 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 13:03

it was my first time at this show and i thought it was great, really good. i was hearing ago will be at the one in april , not 100% on that one though.

it really puts a lot of shows to shame which charge more of an entry and only have a 1/4 of the amount to see.

sadly i was a bit pressed on time so didnt get to see as much as i wanted but got to see and meet wayne and all i can say is what a gent, real good guy.

surely come down to this one again, we left at 2.30 am and got back at 5.30 pm with 3 hours at the show so it wasnt to bad.

#9 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 13:43

Nice shot, Jim. By my reckoning, the lad will be fast approaching his 80th birthday, great to see him still in good health. Still spins plenty of ripping yarns, too ! :eek:

BTW, that four-cylinder w/c Honda : would that be one of the Phil Morris replicas the lads flog round in parades ?

Thanks. Yes, Jim is 80 next month. He plans to go back to SA 31st Oct and a party planned for around the 4th of Nov (Think is birthday is on the 8th). Though he did say if anything else turns up he might not go back then and maybe delay. His parting words were see you in April. :wave:

I was checking his stats on Saturday night on the internet and he was surprised when I told him on Sunday that is 98 GP podiums ranks him 8th in the history of the sport for GP podium finishes. Of course, he is still the highest Honda rider for road racing world championships with 6. 1 More than Doohan..!

#10 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 19:19

Jim that copy of MCR with Dunlop is November 1980, sadly I dont have a spare but I coud scan the two pages for you & you might be able to photoshop/stich them together?

#11 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 19:40

Thanks for that Graham. I got a business card from another trader who said he would have everyone back at base and if I could advise him which edition it was he would most likely supply it, so now with your help I can advise him and try and obtain a copy. If that is not possible then I may take you up on your kind offer.

Thanks Graham - I'll get back to you on that if I may.. :up:

#12 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 19:45

Hi there
If you look on Ebay for Motorcycle Racing Oct 1980 you will find it is the November edition in the picture. It may be worth getting in contact with the seller and see if one is available. Best of luck.

#13 khsuzukitr500

khsuzukitr500

• 37 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 20:01

[quote name='jaybee49' date='Oct 17 2011, 10:46' post='5346913']
It was my 18th Stafford Japanese Classic bike show so I guess I have attended everyone one of them and being an 'old fart' they seem to get harder the older I get but it is my favourite one of the two. I was looking around for some old MC Weeklies, and Motor Cycle Racing mags as I wanted to get some old stuff that I had published but have gone missing over the years. Sadly, no one seemed to have copies not even Spencer Elton. I am looking for a MCR mag dated around the middle of 1980 which has a colour center double spread of Joey on the Suzuki XR69 blasting past another rider on the straight at Donington Park. Anyone have more info?

do you mean this one ?
Posted Image

#14 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 20:06

Blimey what size scanner you got!!! :eek:

#15 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 20:29

Posted Image

Yes, this one. It is my original photograph. I will try and obtain a copy of it now. Many thanks for your help.

#16 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 21:38

Thanks. Yes, Jim is 80 next month. He plans to go back to SA 31st Oct and a party planned for around the 4th of Nov (Think is birthday is on the 8th). Though he did say if anything else turns up he might not go back then and maybe delay. His parting words were see you in April. :wave:

I was checking his stats on Saturday night on the internet and he was surprised when I told him on Sunday that is 98 GP podiums ranks him 8th in the history of the sport for GP podium finishes. Of course, he is still the highest Honda rider for road racing world championships with 6. 1 More than Doohan..!

Yes his birthday is the 8th, we had him down here as guest of honour when we ran the Australian historic nationals in 2003, he celebrated his 72nd birthday on the Saturday by highsiding a CBR600 Honda he was doing quick demo laps on and breaking his collarbone, poor bugger ! But he turned up on raceday with his arm in a sling, signed everything in sight and still did the presentations, good stuff.
Shared many tales from the day, and amongst a long list of achievements is very proud of the fact that he was never beaten by Agostini in a race they both finished : good stat ! :clap:

#17 khsuzukitr500

khsuzukitr500

• 37 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:38

Posted Image

Yes, this one. It is my original photograph. I will try and obtain a copy of it now. Many thanks for your help.

you are welcome. i was the guy on the other bike and always said it was me passing joey :lol: , now you have let the cat out
of the bag. i hope you can get a copy as it`s a good photo.

#18 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:48

Rainey being interviewed at Stafford

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#19 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 13:12

Not managed to locate a November 80 Motorcycle Racing magazine yet. I guess I wll just have to keeping checking Ebay.

Here are few pics taken at Stafford.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jaybee49, 19 October 2011 - 16:33.

Advertisement

#20 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:53

I have managed to track down that mag plus others I was after from this guy; http://www.pfbmags.co.uk Very helpful- and not expensive. :up:

Can anyone give me the dates of a couple more Motorcycle Racing Mags please;

A colour centrefold of Kenny Roberts on the Yamaha US yellow & black colour scheme about '79, and a colour back page I think of of Dave Dean on the Mitsui Yamaha?

Cheers :)

#21 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:52

I have managed to track down that mag plus others I was after from this guy; http://www.pfbmags.co.uk Very helpful- and not expensive. :up:

Can anyone give me the dates of a couple more Motorcycle Racing Mags please;

A colour centrefold of Kenny Roberts on the Yamaha US yellow & black colour scheme about '79, and a colour back page I think of of Dave Dean on the Mitsui Yamaha?

Cheers :)

OK , Jim , the dates you need are , for Kenny , he had a centrefold on the US colourscheme Yamaha in August 1979 and December 1979 , the first in the rain at Silverstone ,I think , I have a spare of that issue if you want it .
The Dave Dean is November 1980 , on page 31 .
Hope this helps :up: :wave:

#22 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:20

Thanks Phil. :up: It must be the December one of Roberts as I never really did anything at Silverstone. My pic is where he is cranked over at Redgate Lodge at Donington. If the Dave Dean one is in the Nov 80 issue then that is the same as the Dunlop one on the XR69 that I asked about earlier - so that is a bit of luck, I have that issue coming. :clap: :)

#23 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:33

Thanks Phil. :up: It must be the December one of Roberts as I never really did anything at Silverstone. My pic is where he is cranked over at Redgate Lodge at Donington. If the Dave Dean one is in the Nov 80 issue then that is the same as the Dunlop one on the XR69 that I asked about earlier - so that is a bit of luck, I have that issue coming. :clap: :)

That's a great pic of KR , sure looks like Redgate to me , :up: , and you are correct on the other point :clap: , so you've saved yourself a few ££££££ :eek: :wave:

#24 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 14:11

Well, £3.00 Phil and I would be happy to pay it for a copy; :)

It should be this one:

Posted Image

Emap must have returned me the slide for this of KR one but alas they did not return the Dean or Dunlop examples and also lots of others. I have been on to their archives several times without any luck but I would not mind betting that they still have them as one of mine of Ron Haslam was published in 'Classic Bike' about three years ago and the caption read: 'From THEIR archives'. They all have my details on...

Donington Park also did not return a load either. I should have had the common sense to get copies done but they did not always turn out the same as the originals, whenever I had copies done of the family etc.

#25 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 14:28

That's the one , Jim :up: , I shan't copy and post from the mag , as someone might purloin it , without your name across........................ :eek:  ;)

#26 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 19:48

That's the one , Jim :up: , I shan't copy and post from the mag , as someone might purloin it , without your name across........................ :eek:  ;)

Recieved the mags now. Had a bit of a result Phil and maybe getting back some stuff from the now owners of EMAP. They rang me up yesterday trying to sell me an ad for MCN in their Xmas gift special. I will most likely go ahead with it as it seems half the price I paid in 2001.. ):

I got to talking to the guy, and I said how about returning some of my photographic work I sent to you on a speculative basis in the late 70's and early 80's? I eventually spoke to a young lady in their archive dept and straight away she found about a dozen images of mine.. :up: She said that she would go through them all and if it was okay to scan them with my details now for possible future use, and that she would then return them to me. I said yes of course, so maybe I will get the original images I took of Joey on the XR69, Kenny Roberts and Dave Dean on the Mitsui Yamaha returned to me after 30 years. :clap:

#27 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 20:00

Great news Jim, hope you get them returned to you soon. :up:

#28 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 20:03

Great news Jim, hope you get them returned to you soon. :up:

ditto :up: