Photo

Ever been snubbed by a racer or celebrity?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 Jose

Jose

• 89 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 17:13

Have you ever been snubbed by A Celebrity or Racer? I've just been,you know I have books signed By The likes of Legends such As Tony DeLorenzo,Dave Morgan & Delmo Johnson,and I have spoken with Dick Guldstrand over the phone as well Mr.Morgan/Mr.Johnson and TonyD, and Dr.Dick"The Flying Dentist" Thompson as well as George Wintersteen(who wasn't very helpful and seemed distant) however,I wanted one of my Vette books signed by Gerald Jerry Thompson of OCF fame(I would ship it wherever doesnt have to be person's address) and his son Chris said He wouldn't sign it? Is this how you treat a Fan?"He gets requests like that all of the time?" I could understand privacy and if someone was like Say, JLo or Dale jr.etc. but come on? I would even ship to the shop or a po box. but fine,it just pisses me off.Have you guys had any such experience?

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,200 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 18:28

No. But then again, I have never asked anyone for an autograph. I think it's a very laudable thing to do by Mr. Thompson, whoever he is, because autographs are such a silly thing to collect.

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 18:48

Each to his own, Michael

I personally started collecting autographs in January 1960 and continued to do so all the way to November 1960 :)

#4 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 19:03

As a kid, I loved collecting autographs — if for not other reason than it gave me an excuse to meet and speak with the Greats. Now decades later, when I look at them I remember those meetings with details I may not have otherwise, so I am glad I did it.

The only time I recall getting snubbed was by AJ Foyt in maybe 1974. All of 14, I asked him and was as eager as could be, but he just said "Later" quite harshly and walked away. I was kinda bummed and told my cousin there with me, "Geez, I just made AJ mad at me!" Not one to be deterred easily, four years later I caught up with AJ and got my signature. I mentioned the prior incident and he apologized, it was all good and he is one of a kind, after all.

#5 red stick

red stick

• 14,124 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 19:16

. . . The only time I recall getting snubbed was by AJ Foyt in maybe 1974. . .

Mid-Ohio 2009. Not so much snubbed as growled at. But I've got my own Foyt story now.

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 19:17

Jackie Stewart was an avid autograph collector as a kid, and still treasures his autograph book today. His experiences made him determined to develop a legible signature and so far as I know he has always happily obliged autograph hunters in all but the most unsuitable circumstances. One difficulty today is people requesting multiple signatures, especially on photographs, programmes and similar, when almost certainly they will be offered for sale within days on eBay. Which just p------ off even the most obliging of signatories.

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 18 October 2011 - 16:31.

#7 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 23:08

I have met and spent time with some famous drivers over the years all of whom have been pleasent however at Brands there was a 2 driver Touring car race during the Group A era. I approached Paul Radisich and politely waited programme in hand for him to finish his conversation, I was a teenager at the time and he subsequently ripped the piss out of me in front of the team..............it's been over 20 years but peaple don't forget things like that!

Ps Paul if you read this I hope you feel as small as I did!

Edited by Thundersport, 17 October 2011 - 23:09.

#8 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 23:26

Have you ever been snubbed by A Celebrity or Racer? I've just been,you know I have books signed By The likes of Legends such As Tony DeLorenzo,Dave Morgan & Delmo Johnson,and I have spoken with Dick Guldstrand over the phone as well Mr.Morgan/Mr.Johnson and TonyD, and Dr.Dick"The Flying Dentist" Thompson as well as George Wintersteen(who wasn't very helpful and seemed distant) however,I wanted one of my Vette books signed by Gerald Jerry Thompson of OCF fame(I would ship it wherever doesnt have to be person's address) and his son Chris said He wouldn't sign it? Is this how you treat a Fan?"He gets requests like that all of the time?" I could understand privacy and if someone was like Say, JLo or Dale jr.etc. but come on? I would even ship to the shop or a po box. but fine,it just pisses me off.Have you guys had any such experience?

Not personally; which, I suppose, in UK English means no. However, with the exception of "JLo and Dale jr", sic, I have no idea who those other "celebrities" are, never having heard of any of them previously.

#9 Redneb

Redneb

• 89 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 00:50

Jackie Stewart was an avid autograph collector as a kid, and still treasures his autograph book today. His experiences made him determined to develop an eligible signature and so far as I know he has always happily obliged autograph hunters in all but the most unsuitable circumstances. One difficulty today is people requesting multiple signatures, especially on photographs, programmes and similar, when almost certainly they will be offered for sale within days on eBay. Which just p------ off even the most obliging of signatories.

DCN

I ran into PR at a show in Auckland when he was BTC champion. He stood and talked to me for quite a while, was gracious and friendly and answered questions readily. I thought he was very generous with his time.

I guess it depends on the person's mood - whether he got a hop-on the night before or something....

#10 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:53

You never know what's happening in the background.

To illustrate what I mean, at the Goodwood Festival I tried to talk to one owner/driver. To my surprise, although he was polite he almost pushed me away. I found out later that he had experienced a major problem with the car and he was obviously focussed on that and not on polite chit-chat.

Likewise, on a race day before a race the tension is building and after it, the driver's focus will still be on the race. In the Paul Radisch incident, how close to the race did this happen?

#11 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:06

One difficulty today is people requesting multiple signatures, especially on photographs, programmes and similar, when almost certainly they will be offered for sale within days on eBay. Which just p------ off even the most obliging of signatories.

DCN

The 'pro' collectors arrive with concertina files containing wedges of photos for each driver they are expectng to be present at an event. This can be quite irritating if you are trying to get one solitary item signed for yourself, but I have yet to witness a driver bat an eyelid at this phenomena.I suspect that the contemporary 'stars' don't tolerate this however.

PS I have a reasonably broad collection of autographs, but I can tell that I'm getting old as I have got almost every signature that I want. These days I find myself largely collecting second autographs purely because the first one isn't in the right place! Also I only have autographs that I have collected myself which is the only true guarantee of authenticity.

Edited by Giraffe, 18 October 2011 - 09:17.

#12 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,661 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:23

I sympathise with the occasionally grumpy driver because there are some very silly autograph collectors around, always have been.
One twelve year old I knew (OK, it might have been me) watched fascinated in the Brands Hatch paddock one evening as Jack Brabham, having spent hours driving a Matra in the rain, collected together holdall, helmet, sundry other pieces of kit, tucked some papers under one arm, laid some overalls over the bag and set off fully laden up the hill. Then up steps the bright lad to ask for his autograph. Jack looks him in the eye, puts down his bag, his helmet, his overalls, tucks his papers between his knees and signs the programme. Without barking at me, or even clipping me around the ear. Can't get much kinder than that!

Edited by john winfield, 18 October 2011 - 11:57.

#13 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:51

Jackie Stewart was an avid autograph collector as a kid, and still treasures his autograph book today. His experiences made him determined to develop an eligible signature and so far as I know he has always happily obliged autograph hunters in all but the most unsuitable circumstances.

DCN

JYS signs for a young fan at the 1969 Oulton Park Gold Cup as Max LeGrand looks on.....

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-10-18

#14 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:51

I can understand the attitude of those celebrities who may have been just the tiniest bit short with autograph-hunters on occasion.

I feel the same emotions when my dinner or TV news/sport-watching is interrupted by 'xxxxx' from 'xxxxxx' who wants me(or a person over 25 years of age ) to spare them a few minutes to answer a few questions. If allowed, they then ask what age group you fit into. On finding you are over 65, they then apologise and say that they have filled their quota in that group!

By the time you get to almost 70 years you have probably used or misused at least 80% of your allotted time on the planet, and should give serious thought to getting the best possible value out of the remaining 20%. Unreasonable demands on that time should be kept to a minimum!

Lest you should think I am some kind of a grumpy old bugger, I generally point out at the first possible opportunity that I am over 65, and in recognition of a complaint from my wife, I am usually the very epitome of politeness and good manners, however painful I may find that.

Stu

PS : Wouldn't a digital photo be less intrusive. Or use your phone.

Edited by wenoopy, 18 October 2011 - 11:54.

#15 PRD

PRD

• 507 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:12

My son Mark and I were lurking around the cars at the Goodwood Festival paddock a few years back and ended up standing next a couple of guys in suits (later referred to by Mark as Autograph Monkeys) who were carrying briefcases and some large pieces of card divided into handy signature size slots. Vic Elford and his wife were standing a few yards away at the back of a car, under the shelter.
The conversation went as follows

Autograph Monkey 1 (to me) indicating Quick Vic "Do you know who that guy is?"
Me (slightly incredulous) " Yes, its Vic Elford"
Mark (helpfully) "His name's on his overalls"
AM2 to AM1 "Nick Elford? Never heard of him"
AM1 "Never mind, lets get him anyway"

We wandered off after that as we didn't want to be associated with them, but I hope Vic (or more probably Anita) charged them for their Autograph collecting

#16 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 13:11

I always thought Richard Petty has signed his name more times than anyone else in history. The lengh of his career, his attending races after retirement, and his corporate connections keep him in the public eye. He would have open house at his race shop for his fans and would sign thousands in one day. It is said he has never said no to anyone.

#17 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:29

A certain Swedish former WRC champion rolled his eyes at my schoolgirl Swedish once. I was only trying to be polite and it was really embarrassing.

Most of the drivers I've met have been very pleasant. Paddy Hopkirk was very likeable, as was Rosemary Smith, and Derek Bell once stopped to talk to me and Dad at the FoS when he didn't have to at all. Dad had blurted out "that's Derek Bell", to which he replied "who said my name?" It could have been embarrassing, but he was very charming.

#18 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 654 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:35

We wandered off after that as we didn't want to be associated with them, but I hope Vic (or more probably Anita) charged them for their Autograph collecting

Frankly, as far as I know Vic Elford is the only one of all living Grand Prix drivers, and there a few hundreds of them, who charges for his autograph, which I think is a very slight overestimation of his own place in motorsport history.

#19 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:47

The conversation went as follows

"Do you know who that guy is?"

"Never mind, lets get him anyway"

I've only succumbed to that particular syndrome once and that was at the Donington "GP Live" event of 2007 when I collected the autograph of (the now late) Clemar Bucci. However as I walked away from the man, I rapidly became aware that nobody else with his autograph knew who he was either! Obiously someone had started the ball rolling......

Here is Clemar pictured chatting with Mario Andretti at the event.....

Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:52

Frankly, as far as I know Vic Elford is the only one of all living Grand Prix drivers, and there a few hundreds of them, who charges for his autograph, which I think is a very slight overestimation of his own place in motorsport history.

Hmm, Vic wasn't charging at the Goodwood FOS this year. Sir Stirling always says he wishes he did, but it's a bit late now..... :lol:

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-07-02

#21 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 14:52

Having done some stuff in the past with Richard Noble , I've seen him sign anything put under his nose, but only one per person. Anyone who offers reams of paper, models etc is simply told, "surely you only need one, unless your selling them". It's then expressions say a lot!

When I worked in F1, I was always being asked to get autographs for friends and family, and I refused, I really didn't like bothering people. I took my better half to a few races, and she asked if she could have jenson Button's auotgraph. JB's pa organised it, and to be honets I thought I'd never see her again!! He chatted, he showed her around, it was like he had all the time in the world. I then had to get Damon Hill's for a charity thing, so I popped up to the paddock and thought I'd ask Eddie Jordan for his permission to seek his driver out. "What's it for?" he asked, "OK", then turning around into the inner sactum of his hospitality area, shouted at the top of his voice "oi, Hill, get your arse over here and sign this, it's important".

One former British world champion, who I wont name regularly breezed through crowds saying "busy" in a thick brummie accent, thereby ignoring tens of people at a time, and I used to watch a well known German champion who used to find very interesting things on the ground to look at as his walking speed increased when he saw anyone with a pen and a book in their hand. That's not to say they were always like that though.

I've been asked to sign books and stuff in the past to which I usually say, "What me? Really? Are you sure?", but then again it's usually a crowd of one........

#22 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 15:18

Well now, Mr Nye, I think JYS's signature would always have been eligible, but legible? Or does this comment belong in the Blood Pressure topic?

I am not an autograph collector, but I did make an exception a few years ago when I asked Sir Stirling, on the 50th anniversary of his Mille Miglia win, to autograph "Stirling Moss's Book of Motor Sport", a boy's book given to me by my father 50 years earlier. He did, he asked lots of questions, and it was a memorable encounter. I still don't collect them, but I'm glad I did that one.

#23 PRD

PRD

• 507 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 15:31

I've bought books from his wife's ebay store and she gets him to dedicate/autograph them, that has always seemed fair enough to me. He was happily signing programmes at the FoS when we saw him later that day

#24 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 15:36

I think JYS's signature would always have been eligible, but legible?

Jackie Stewart, 1969......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In 42 years, the only changes are the pens. :cool:

#25 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 15:38

I used to watch a well known German champion who used to find very interesting things on the ground to look at as his walking speed increased when he saw anyone with a pen and a book in their hand. That's not to say they were always like that though.

I suspect it's the same champion who left insultingly low tips (13p!) at the hotel he used to stay at near Silverstone.

A certain other champion with a very famous father used to stay at the same hotel. He somehow got himself confused with a member of the Royal Family and used to insist that no staff member at said hotel spoke to him, unless he spoke first, not even to say "Good morning Mr <name deleted>".

Several friends, and my brother's girlfriend, worked at that hotel. I've heard many stories, although I've never heard a bad word spoken about Damon Hill. Apparently David Coulthard is also very nice, but that was from someone who knew him as a TV person rather than a racer.

My mum served Colin McRae in a pub and said he was rude and arrogant, but she has never elaborated further than that.

#26 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 16:16

Actually I just remembered, I was brought in on a project for Goodwood, by a certain Mr D Nye, and got him to sign my copy of "The History Of The Grand Prix Car", of course, not for resale, it's one of my treasured signatures!

#27 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 16:27

One former British world champion, who I wont name regularly breezed through crowds saying "busy" in a thick brummie accent, thereby ignoring tens of people at a time, and I used to watch a well known German champion who used to find very interesting things on the ground to look at as his walking speed increased when he saw anyone with a pen and a book in their hand. That's not to say they were always like that though.

In 1983 my soon to be wife and myself were walking around the Silverstone Paddock at the GP when a French Ferrari F1 driver doing the "busy" bit barged my much beloved out of the way from behind, to escape the minor throng. Her "Excuse me!" was met by swearing in a French accent. She was so upset when ferrari dumped him :)

Several years later, my now wife, was verbally abused by an "extremely pissed" father of a GP driver when she spurned his advances (even though I was standing next to her and was about to smack him!). Apparently he did this quite often, which is a shame as his son is a good bloke.

I've never been one for collecting autographs so have never really been spurned as such. As a marshal in the 70's I often met up with well known drivers, although not always at the best time - after accidents etc. and have observed how drivers react when in the position of having to calm down when out of the car. Most were pretty good. De Cesaris was really quiet and never said a thing, even though I lent him my jacket as it was raining. Mario Andretti was a gentleman. Having blown his Lotus DFV near the end of the GP he sat on the bank and thanked us for our work when he left.

#28 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 16:46

Well now, Mr Nye, I think JYS's signature would always have been eligible, but legible? Or does this comment belong in the Blood Pressure topic?

I am not an autograph collector, but I did make an exception a few years ago when I asked Sir Stirling, on the 50th anniversary of his Mille Miglia win, to autograph "Stirling Moss's Book of Motor Sport", a boy's book given to me by my father 50 years earlier. He did, he asked lots of questions, and it was a memorable encounter. I still don't collect them, but I'm glad I did that one.

:blush: Predictive text?

Re Firling Goss - one year at the Festival of Speed we were in the assembly area when a lady with a small boy standing against the crowd barrier beckoned me over and asked if I thought Golden Boy would sign the programme for her son. I took it over to him whereupon he strolled over and signed it and had a word with her. She thanked him profusely for his time, to which he replied "Not at all my dear - you must remember that this is my office, and this is my day job..." - which quite impressed me, and her too.

Another time at the Festival, Jenks was there with SM on the 40th anniversary of their Mille Miglia win. Jenks was very poorly but a long queue had formed seeking his autograph. Jenks went on signing, but was visibly slowing down...and ultimately became quite wobbly. Alan Henry and I were in effect his minders, and we asked repeatedly if he was OK. He kept saying "yes" and went on signing, but we could see his autograph deteriorating before our eyes. Ultimately we just felt we had to step in and apologise to the end of the queue and take him away for his own good. I will never forget the look of disappointment on the face of the next chap in line when we said "That's all"...so he became the first to miss out.

I think we all sensed that DSJ had just signed what was probably his last autograph. It was a sad moment all round, not least for him. I feel he sensed it too...

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 18 October 2011 - 16:49.

#29 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 17:44

In 1983 my soon to be wife and myself were walking around the Silverstone Paddock at the GP when a French Ferrari F1 driver doing the "busy" bit barged my much beloved out of the way from behind, to escape the minor throng. Her "Excuse me!" was met by swearing in a French accent. She was so upset when ferrari dumped him :)

I may have been close by Alan  ;)

During the Friday practice My 12 year old Son and I were in the paddock, Rene Aroux was walking past so I asked him (politely) if he would sign the programme for my son, he blanked us. :well:
A little while later we saw him again, I shouted over "Rene" he was in the process of blanking us again when I finshed my sentence "I hope your engine blows up tomorrow" at least he looked at us that time :lol:

#30 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 17:55

Twice I tried to have a brief conversation in Indy with Scott Dixon; not a friendly guy.

Edited by David M. Kane, 18 October 2011 - 17:55.

#31 southcoast

southcoast

• 36 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 18:01

Can't say I have. Some drivers are happier than others to sign stuff but I don't think I've ever been snubbed

I saw Roberto Moreno in a private area at a meeting this year..he spotted me lurking with pen and programme and beckoned me over.

I said that I hadn't wanted to interrupt and he said jovially that 'sometimes you must !'

#32 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 19:19

I don't collect autographs and don't bother drivers or celebs at all. One time I nearly bumped into JYS and instantly recognising him called his name in surprise- then he shook my hand and said a few words. The only person that I feel has snubbed me is Doug Nye, who quite a few years ago at the FoS or revival (since I go to both each year I can't remember which one) I introduced myself and he said a few words then walked off - rather unsurprisingly I haven't bothered to remember the few words he spoke or bother to seek him out since.

Perhaps I caught him at a bad time...and I'm sure he's very pleasant to other TNFers - I was dissapointed as he comes across as a very nice man on the forums and on TV.

eta Have sent DN a message re this post so he's aware of it's existance.

Edited by condor, 18 October 2011 - 22:58.

#33 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 19:30

Twice I tried to have a brief conversation in Indy with Scott Dixon; not a friendly guy.

I strongly beg to differ - I met him at Goodwood and he was lovely - agreed to a photo, an autograph, and a brief chat. Had all the patience in the world for those coming up to him on a pretty regular basis, even though he was (quite obviously) wanting to catch up with Helio Castroneves about something.

And very pleasingly, he actually looked at the book of mine he was signing and asked if he could look at a few of them - when he saw that I 'd got Johnny Rutherford and Parnelli Jones, his face lit up and said to me "Wow, Johnny Rutherford and Parnelli are around - where are they as I want to meet them?" Sure enough, about 5 minutes later, I saw him head off with Helio towards the two legends.

So not only engaging, but that modern rarity - a modern-day driver who actually knows and appreciates his legendary predecessors.

PS Gergely - Vic wasn't charging at Goodwood as I've got his autograph.

Surprisingly, the only person who was really ever "off" with my request for an interview, autograph or photo was Pierluigi Martini. I'd always had him down as a genial chap. Maybe he is, and it wasn't a good time but it didn't leave the greatest impression on me when far more successful racing drivers were saying "yes" and he was not only a "no" but "how dare you bother me" type no.

#34 red stick

red stick

• 14,124 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 20:35

Dixon just strikes me as very shy, and of course he suffers in comparison to his teammate, Franchitti, who at the Indycar races I've attended comes across as extraordinarily outgoing and accessible to fans.

#35 red stick

red stick

• 14,124 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 20:36

And very pleasingly, he actually looked at the book of mine he was signing and asked if he could look at a few of them - when he saw that I 'd got Johnny Rutherford and Parnelli Jones, his face lit up and said to me "Wow, Johnny Rutherford and Parnelli are around - where are they as I want to meet them?" Sure enough, about 5 minutes later, I saw him head off with Helio towards the two legends.

I thought Rutherford still worked for Indycar.

#36 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 20:38

Posted Image

Ok, there's me with the pen and pad in hand having just got Mr. Hulme's signature, then there's my younger brothers and finally with the white head scarf my mom. USGP 1967 and between us we were able to get the entire grid. I reckon the drivers didnt mind us young 'uns pestering their heros.

#37 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 654 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 20:59

PS Gergely - Vic wasn't charging at Goodwood as I've got his autograph.

I'm sorry I wasn't precise - I only meant autographs that one asks him by sending him a photo via mail.

#38 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 21:22

I thought Rutherford still worked for Indycar.

He does, but by the way it sounded, Dixon wanted to have a proper catch-up with JR and presumably thought he'd either left for the day/weekend or even that he wasn't aware he was actually at the event (possible with so much going on and people arriving at different times), rather than "I've never met him, I want to". I think the fact that JR, Bobby Unser and Parnelli were all virtually next in line to each other (which I informed Dixon) was the attraction to Scott, as it was to many others. The reason Dixon didn't know that so well was because his car and position was right at the end of the line of the paddock and PJ, JR and BU were the other side of the long paddock straight.

Still, a nice touch that someone wants to meet legends, rather than blank them (which one current F1 driver who will go unnamed did to Mr. E Fittipaldi Esq)

#39 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 286 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 23:08

I had the opportunity a handful of years ago to meet Allan Moffat at a sponsor-related appearance. Moffat, in his day as a driver, had a reputation for being less-than-approachable, but he was more than gracious with his time... there were a scant handful of us around - me, an enthusiast who'd brought his vintage Falcon down to have Allan adorn it with his autograph, a lady from ABC Regional radio for an interview, Ron Gillard, who'd popped around to say g'day to an old mate, a chap with a heap on enlarged glossies for autographic and on-selling... and me. I believe that Moffat did charge to sign the photos, but he chatted amiably with us at length.

He had a good supply of his sponsor's posters featuring his old race cars, and my signed copy has adorned my garage ever since.

Advertisement

#40 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 23:38

Oops - I apologise Condor - I have no recollection of this, but do recall being rather preoccupied when approached by someone at one Festival, I cannot recall whether male or female, when I had just been told we had an injury on the hillclimb "...and it doesn't look good". Other times I am just a grumpy stand-offish old git, far too grand to speak to anyone, so I guess I should just hold my hands up and confess - quite possibly guilty as charged. I would like to hear what the few words were? And no - I haven't received any message from you. Sorry about that, too. :confused:

DCN

#41 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,091 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:39

Early in is career at Penske the still very young Paul Tracy got a bit bored and precious about signing autographs (I think he's got over it by now...). He was going through a bit of a phase, so Rick Mears was trying to coach him a bit on how to behave outside the cockpit - not an easy task.

To show PT the importance of the fans, Rick stood at the barrier at the back of the truck for two solid hours signing autographs for anyone who wanted one - always with the classic "Rick Mears, Thanks" - i.e. thanks for coming to see us. By the time he'd finished there wasn't a soul left requiring a signature, and this was back in the days of the early 90s when the crowds were huge. As ever, Mears really "got it".

#42 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:43

I may have been close by Alan ;)

During the Friday practice My 12 year old Son and I were in the paddock, Rene Aroux was walking past so I asked him (politely) if he would sign the programme for my son, he blanked us. :well:
A little while later we saw him again, I shouted over "Rene" he was in the process of blanking us again when I finshed my sentence "I hope your engine blows up tomorrow" at least he looked at us that time :lol:

This, and other posts, just shows that we all have 'off' days. I had the pleasure of meeting Rene Arnoux at Silverstone several times and he was always a most pleasant and approachable chap. Back in the 1950's long before racing drivers were protected from the public, you were unlikely to be snubbed when asking for an autograph. Quite often when coming across a group of drivers chatting in the paddock, the autograph book would be handed around for all to sign, as Stirling Moss, Peter Collins, Reg Parnell and Roy Salvadori once did with mine at Goodwood in 1955.

#43 Fivestripes

Fivestripes

• 70 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:02

As the only one to drive a 917 around the Targa Florio course Vic has a great place in motorsport history......as well as many, many other reasons!!!!

And he certainly doesn't charge at Goodwood

#44 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:35

I've never been interested in autographs, just can't see the point, so have never asked for one, but to turn the title of this thread around, I once 'snubbed' a racer or celebrity, none other than AJ Foyt. I've told this story before on TNF, but I was introduced to AJ by Peter Warr when I was at Lotus, in a fairly junior capacity I hasten to add, that's me of course, not Peter Warr. After a crushing handshake, AJ stopped talking for long enough to offer to sign the top sheet on a clipboard I was holding, and I said "No thanks", though very politely of course. The sheet of paper in question was a Lotus 'E I', an engineering instruction memo. These proliferated at Lotus, the Company almost ran on them, but the one I had was special, it had originated from and been initialed 'ACBC' by Colin Chapman himself, so a missed opportunity, one of many in my life. If I'd let AJ sign it, just think what that might fetch from an autograph hunter today.

#45 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:20

There is nothing wrong in asking for an autograph. It is the way one asks and the timing that may result in a negative experience. If you still get snubbed, complying with this basic criteria, then just remember that there are bastards in all walks of life.

#46 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:53

In my early days reporting on motor sport for a radio station, I was at Silverstone for 'tyre testing' and entered the Williams' pit and asked Damon Hill for an interview, he replied somewhat tersely, 'No! I'm working'. A young boy had followed me into the garage and asked Damon for his autograph, which he happily provided. 'Yes!' I thought, that's a good decision, I should have known better, but the youngster would not have thought about it. I learned a lesson, and I respected Damon's attitude. Not snubbed but put in my place, and I have always respected Damon for that.

I found Rubens Barichello very rude, and always remember rejection by Stefan Johannson. Never liked 'em since!

I agree with Eric, Rene Arnoux was always charming and friendly, but I think that he was possibly rather shy, and perhaps suprised by people's interest in him.

Jenson once said with a big grin; 'Media!, I hate the media.' Nice chap.

#47 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:38

Oops - I apologise Condor - I have no recollection of this, but do recall being rather preoccupied when approached by someone at one Festival, I cannot recall whether male or female, when I had just been told we had an injury on the hillclimb "...and it doesn't look good". Other times I am just a grumpy stand-offish old git, far too grand to speak to anyone, so I guess I should just hold my hands up and confess - quite possibly guilty as charged. I would like to hear what the few words were? And no - I haven't received any message from you. Sorry about that, too. :confused:

DCN

No problems :)
I've just checked my sent items and there isn't a message to you there - so my mistake. I'm using my dad's laptop and for some reason I have to move the window up a bit to submit the post so I guess I must have messed up the send this message box.
I'll reintroduce myself to you at next years FoS.

#48 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:47

Jenson once said with a big grin; 'Media!, I hate the media.' Nice chap.

And exactly who would he be without the media?

#49 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:48

No. But then again, I have never asked anyone for an autograph. I think it's a very laudable thing to do by Mr. Thompson, whoever he is, because autographs are such a silly thing to collect.

Snobbery is such an unpleasant thing - Are you saying that these, found in my late Stepmother's 1930's 4" x 3" autograph book, aren't memories worth keeping?

Posted Image

The Road Not Taken

Posted Image

Prescient if nothing else.

Posted Image

The family home.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 19 October 2011 - 11:54.

#50 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:51

And exactly who would he be without the media?

I'd venture a very happy man that could simply concentrate on driving. He once said to me, "why is it, whenever I do these press things, or public appearances, the last people I actually get to see is the public, because the press get in the way, and I'm told I HAVE to wear a racesuit, do chef's wear white hats all the time? No!"

I think he had a point!