Photo

Formula Renault 3.5 Series - 2012

• Please log in to reply
474 replies to this topic

#151 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,406 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 00:25

Perhaps Red Bull needs a new F1 driover for the not very well driving Vergne and noticed that Williamson will not be that guy.

Vergne is actually doing pretty well in the races but his qualifying pace is a bit worrying.

Advertisement

#152 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:28

Results don't always reflect someone's form. Da Costa had lots of bad luck so far this year. He was on pole position for the 1st race of the season in Barcelona but (like Abt & Spavone) was penalised in race 1 for a jump start. He also managed a fastest race lap in Valencia which shows that he has pace. His best result is a 2nd spot in race 2 in Monaco but his overall points tally doesn't do justice to his talent or speed.

Since when does jumping the start count as bad luck?

He was unlucky to be excluded from qualifying last weekend but his subsequent crash with Suranovitch and resulting grid penalty were all of his own doing.

His pace is fine but it takes more than that to be a strong racing driver. And even showing pace might be difficult when he's jumping headfirst into a new series -especially considering he's not going to a particularly good team.

#153 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,634 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:25

Vergne is actually doing pretty well in the races but his qualifying pace is a bit worrying.

I think with a litrtle bit too much mistakes.

#154 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 17:55

Very good article from Glenn Freeman on the issue of Williamson being dropped so soon.

Subs only - http://plus.autospor...hrough-the-net/

If your not able to read it the gist is that yes, any driver should be grateful and lucky to get RB's support and they are right to set the bar very high, however to drop someone who is a rookie racing with a new team who had an awful preseason with reliability problems in what is probably the series's best grid ever is too much.

Its not even possible to draw a comparison between Lewis's performance and JEV/Ric's from previous seasons as they where in the top team, they didn't have to worry about getting his team to understand the car let alone trying to get a grip on it himself, they could just drive the best package on the grid and focus 100% on their own performance. How they expected Lewis to be instantly on the pace (which one must assume they did, since he's been dropped so quickly) is beyond me, its show a massive lack in common sense.

Sure his results haven't been stellar but you have to take all the above into account. He showed signs in Spa that he was a talented driver when in the wet, which is a great leveller of the field, he qualified in P4 and ran with the top guys for the race until a massive stroke of bad luck, the SC was called out moments after he'd passed the pits, meaning everyone else stopped but he didn't, his team told him to stay out and not pit for the rest of the race resulting in an after race penalty.

RB have been way to hasty in making this decision. It defies sense and suggests whoever is calling the shots *cough* Marko *cough* has a distinct lack of knowledge on such matters. RB have hired and fired and exorbitant number of drivers and how many success stories are there? 1/2 of a driver. Yes, 1/2, as Vettel was nurtured as much by BMW early on as he was RB, they gave him the chance in 2006 FP sessions to learn and they gave him his debut in 2007 too.

Pretty poor in my opinion. I just hope Lewis gets another chance somewhere else, we've seen with Grosjean what can happen when you get a proper opportunity to show what you've got.

#155 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 21:16

Gaucho's are American cowboys. At least in the Argentine, Spanish meaning of the word. Might have a different meaning in Portuguese.

Sounds like he might only have a short term deal. Still, any racing seat is better than none.

In Brazil a Gaucho refers to someone from the state Rio Grande do Sul, the southernmost state of the country. Ramos was born in Novo Hamburgo, a city in Rio Grande do Sul, and therefore is a 'Gaucho'.

#156 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,346 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 13:20

In Brazil a Gaucho refers to someone from the state Rio Grande do Sul, the southernmost state of the country. Ramos was born in Novo Hamburgo, a city in Rio Grande do Sul, and therefore is a 'Gaucho'.

Thanks! Are you also a "Gaucho" ? :)
Well done by Ramos in Race 1 (apart from the spin). He looks strong.
I didn´t expect him to finish on P12 after not have raced since October 2011. :up:

#157 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 14:19

Thanks! Are you also a "Gaucho" ? :)
Well done by Ramos in Race 1 (apart from the spin). He looks strong.
I didn´t expect him to finish on P12 after not have raced since October 2011. :up:

No I'm British but I just happened to read about the word Gaucho the other day! Ramos is a confusing driver; he looked so fast at times last season but was anonymous at others.

#158 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 15:50

That was probably the most boring WSbR race i have ever seen.

#159 jals99

jals99

• 782 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:18

Yes, Kevin Magnussen impressed all weekend. He was going great before the safety car on Saturday as well.
Kevin looks to be F1 material. He reminds me of Vettel when he joined the WSbR a few years ago.

His father also looked like F1 material :lol:

Advertisement

#160 jee

jee

• 733 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:13

Rain on some parts of the track, safety car :down:

#161 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,406 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 00:03

Cesar Ramos will replace Stanaway !

Visited the Nürburgring yesterday (also visited Spa during the World Series) and was following Ramos performance closely. He actually was driving a good race, after loosing some spots at the start he was down in 12th and halfway the race managed to pass Will Stevens on the straight, then he was stuck behind Carlos Huerta for a long time but with a couple of laps to go he got past Huerta (who managed to hold on to 10th but he retired on the final lap) just before the first corner but then they touched going in the corner and Ramos made a spin, he lost a couple of places and finished just outside the points. Ramos showed that he has speed and did a good job this weekend imho.

#162 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:16

Ramos did well, but i was impressed by Da Costa. First race weekend in WSbR and dominated his experienced team mate in both qualifying sessions and Race 1. Would've finished ahead of him in Race 2 as well if it wasn't for the difficult conditions mixing up the field.

#163 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,501 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:47

A lap around Moscow Raceway, which will host an FR round in two weeks - http://www.f1news.ru...moscow-raceway/

#164 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 13:22

I don't know what to say about Rossi, his performances have been made even worse with Da costa coming in and thrashing him on pace.

#165 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 13:29

I don't know what to say about Rossi, his performances have been made even worse with Da costa coming in and thrashing him on pace.

He was overrated in the first place.

#166 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,214 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 13:37

What does everyone think about Yelloly?

#167 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 13:49

What does everyone think about Yelloly?

Looks good in FR3.5 but did not shine at all in GP3. A strange one. It really casts doubt on how good an indicator these series are of potential for F1 - he's a frontrunner now, but was a backmacker in GP3, how are we to know which one is more representative of his talent?

#168 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 13:52

He was overrated in the first place.

I don't think so, he was pretty strong at Fortec with the old car. For some reason he seems to have difficulties to adapt to the new car and/or new team, but so does Korjus for example. Pretty disappointing, yea, but there's still half a season to go.

#169 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 13:58

Looks good in FR3.5 but did not shine at all in GP3. A strange one. It really casts doubt on how good an indicator these series are of potential for F1 - he's a frontrunner now, but was a backmacker in GP3, how are we to know which one is more representative of his talent?

He wasn't that impressive in Formula Renault 2.0 either. Just found the right combination with the team and car to be quick. As long as the series are not F1, it will always be difficult to determine who will do what at the highest level. And even then, being a standout and star in the junior formula means nothing when you can't get out of your own way in an F1 machine.

#170 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 14:38

I don't think so, he was pretty strong at Fortec with the old car. For some reason he seems to have difficulties to adapt to the new car and/or new team, but so does Korjus for example. Pretty disappointing, yea, but there's still half a season to go.

He's always blown hot and cold, he doesn't have much consistency, which is why he has never been able to put together a consistently good season.

#171 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,501 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:12

Graham Hill, Denny Hulme, Damon Hill, Lauda, Hunt, all the way up to Vettel - the list of World Champions who weren't dominant in lower formulae is probably longer than vice versa. How team managers make their choices is a puzzle; Vettel was dominated by Di Resta in F3 yet Vettel got an F1 drive while Di Resta was forced to waste his talent in DTM for 4 years. If Senna hadn't deliberately crashed into Brundle he would not have been British F3 champion - What did team managers see in Senna that they didn't see in a man with equal driving ability? The will to win at all costs, at all costs....

#172 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 2,006 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 19:46

Indeed, Mansell wasn't exactly a star before F1 yet he was mixing it up with Prost, Piquet and Senna when he got there. Then of course immediately being on the pace in the 93 CART season, holding both championships simultaneously.

#173 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,501 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:39

Moscow - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - I suppose it's some form of advertising Renault cars, otherwise I can't see the point.

#174 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:52

Certainly not the most exciting race or circuit ever, Foresti was right to stay away from Alex & Kevin after his dive bomb gone wrong.

The circuit was designed by.............you guess  ;) I like most of his circuits and think he gets undue stick but this is one dull circuit layout, very slow and hard to race wheel to wheel.

#175 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:02

Certainly not the most exciting race or circuit ever, Foresti was right to stay away from Alex & Kevin after his dive bomb gone wrong.

The circuit was designed by.............you guess ;) I like most of his circuits and think he gets undue stick but this is one dull circuit layout, very slow and hard to race wheel to wheel.

Fell asleep after 3 laps, woke up during the last lap and positions were almost exactly the same! Hmm...

#176 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,123 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 17:07

Fell asleep after 3 laps, woke up during the last lap and positions were almost exactly the same! Hmm...

Yep-I think this is first international car race in Russia since before WW1-should have attracted more publicity-only realised is was live on Eurosport when I swiched channels during an ad break on Sky :wave: Circuit is another boring Tilkedrome -the few spectators despite free Renault tickets were in stands miles from the action.

#177 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 807 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 21:27

Yep-I think this is first international car race in Russia since before WW1

It's almost correct - but not quite correct. There was annual championship of Warsaw Pact countries named something like Cup of Friendship that should count as international. Sure, mostly the Soviet Union round was held not in Russia. Still there were four international races in St. Petersburg - quite weird configuration there btw

But back to Moscow - after Friday #7 had to change engine and gearbox. After some accidental breakdown there was no electricity in the boxes, so the guys had to work with flashlights and it took to 5 am.

#178 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:41

Nice 1st lap lol.

#179 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,916 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:42

Total chaos on lap 1.
Bird, Sorensen and Ramos out, Bianchi - hit by Sorensen - back to #18.
Frijns 8th, Pic leads behind the SC.

Advertisement

#180 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,916 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:27

Good win for Pic in a race where the finishing order behind him was mainly the result of mayhem in lap 1 and some botched pitstops after that.

#181 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,814 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 14:50

This is interesting: Frijns is using a new chassis for this event because Fortec's test driver destroyed the original at a straightline test.

#182 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,916 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:25

Replay of the 2007 European GP :D

At least 7 cars sliding out of action in one corner, among them Sam Bird. Magnussen crashed out of the lead a few moments earlier.

Race is red flagged, Stevens on pole ahead of -I think- Bianchi and Frijns for part 2.

Edited by scheivlak, 25 August 2012 - 13:05.

#183 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,916 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:46

Extremely treacherous conditions.
Stevens has spun from the lead. Bianchi now leads Frijns and Melker who's making his FR 3.5 debut.

#184 ThePum

ThePum

• 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 13:03

Whoaaa Frijns :up: :up: & Melker :up:

The Dutch will come back into F1 soon! :up:

#185 GX390

GX390

• 751 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 13:14

Whoaaa Frijns :up: :up: & Melker :up:

The Dutch will come back into F1 soon! :up:

I've always rated Melker, he'd be doing so much better in GP2 if he wasn't in one of the worst cars in the whole field.

#186 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 315 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 14:34

The man on fire today was Felix da Costa. He was just unlucky to stop in the same lap the SC came in, dropping from 1st to 13th.. And then running up to 5th. He got an enormous boost since signing with Red Bull.

#187 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,634 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 15:26

This is interesting: Frijns is using a new chassis for this event because Fortec's test driver destroyed the original at a straightline test.

very bad.
Who was the driver?

#188 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,814 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 16:17

very bad.
Who was the driver?

An unnamed local driver with experience of the testing facility.

#189 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,965 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 17:38

Replay of the 2007 European GP :D

At least 7 cars sliding out of action in one corner, among them Sam Bird. Magnussen crashed out of the lead a few moments earlier.

Race is red flagged, Stevens on pole ahead of -I think- Bianchi and Frijns for part 2.

I think it got upto around 11 cars that went off (though a couple avoided the barriers, but yeah, I think I counted at least 11 cars leaving the track at that corner).

#190 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 807 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 19:34

i was hoping that at least Korjus, on pos 20 at that moment, will notice everybody in front of him floating away with no grip...

#191 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,980 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 19:52

Feel a bit sorry for Rossi. He was away there until they all hit the lake :eek:

#192 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,980 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 20:12

And why was Da Costa pushing his car down the pit lane? Ran out of fuel? Or just felt he needed the exercise?

#193 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,980 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 17:50

And today's "Lucky Dog" award goes to.... MR SAM BIRD!!

Looks like Arden have finally got how to get some speed out of the car too. Pity half the season has gone though :well:

Edited by billm99uk, 26 August 2012 - 17:51.

#194 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,501 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 19:48

And today's "Lucky Dog" award goes to.... MR SAM BIRD!!

Looks like Arden have finally got how to get some speed out of the car too. Pity half the season has gone though :well:

To finish first, first you must finish. Sam has had his fair share of bad luck.

#195 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,980 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 22:07

I guess it was part payback for his first GP2 season yes :cool:

Edited by billm99uk, 26 August 2012 - 22:07.

#196 CrossF1

CrossF1

• 96 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 15:00

Nebylitskiy will be replaced by Aaro Vainio at RFR. And Nigel Melker won't race due to pain in the back.

#197 Junky

Junky

• 298 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 15:16

Nebylitskiy will be replaced by Aaro Vainio at RFR. And Nigel Melker won't race due to pain in the back.

So now we have António Félix da Costa and Aaro Vainio in World Series by Renault.

#198 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 15:49

So now we have António Félix da Costa and Aaro Vainio in World Series by Renault.

And Daniel Abt replacing Korjus as well.

#199 Junky

Junky

• 298 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 16:59

And Daniel Abt replacing Korjus as well.

All the entire GP3 contenders (except Evans) are now in World Series. Which brings up the discussion about GP2 vs World Series. In my opinion, the second one, right now, is a better category technically, mechanically and even economically for those young lads.

Edited by Junky, 11 September 2012 - 17:00.

Advertisement

#200 CrossF1

CrossF1

• 96 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 17:45

Korjus will drive for Lotus