Photo

Remember Jo Siffert

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HeskethBoy

HeskethBoy

• 57 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:36

Forty years ago today (October 24) since Jo lost his life at Brand Hatch.
Despite coming from relatively humble background, I understand that his funeral drew over 50,000 mourners.

As with many others, we miss him.

Edited by HeskethBoy, 26 October 2011 - 06:47.

Advertisement

#2 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:04

Forty years ago today (October 24) since Jo lost his life at Brand Hatch.
Despite coming from relatively himble background, I understand that his funeral drew over 50,000 mourners.

As with many others, we miss him.

He was my favorite driver then. I still remember exactly where I was when I heard the news on my car radio here in Indianapolis.

#3 John-w

John-w

• 172 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:17

Some of my Jo Siffert models in scale 1/12th

Posted Image

Posted Image

RIP Jo Siffert

#4 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,494 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:31

Fabulous models, John-w, and great photos of them. :up:

I saw Jo finish 2nd in the 1971 Road America Can-Am when I was 11, and several weeks later he was gone. Not sure where I was when hearing the news, but I sure recall being really sad.

Edited by E1pix, 24 October 2011 - 07:32.

#5 Arese

Arese

• 403 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:19

Some of my Jo Siffert models in scale 1/12th

RIP Jo Siffert

Very, very nice. I appreciate your post.

#6 charles r

charles r

• 5,591 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 14:22

RIP Jo. Cannot believe it was 40 years ago.

#7 d j fox

d j fox

• 94 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 15:43

I was there -a day I shall never forget.
It was a beautiful sunny English autumnal day with a good “end-of-term” feeling to celebrate Jackie Stewarts’ World Championship.
A good entry of F1 and F5000’s had assembled with Jo on pole—he made a bad start. There was a far amount of bumping and bashing but eventually the race was settling down with Gethin’s BRM leading.
Then from behind the trees at Clearways we could see a huge pall of smoke and it went very, very quiet…..
Jo Siffert was one of my very few heroes—he would always be guaranteed to try—a real racer.

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,398 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 18:21

As I've posted before, I grew up in the Channel Islands, so didn't manage to get to a Formula 1 race until I was 20. The 1971 Brands Victory Race was my first, and one of my favourite drivers was on pole, in the glorious-looking BRM P160. As David said, he made a poor start, but was fighting back from 5th position. This was what I had wanted to see 'in the flesh' for years; this was going to be a tremendous race; Jo was going to come through and win - and then . . .

RIP Jo - never to be forgotten.

#9 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,816 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 21:00

I saw Jo race often at Brands, and celebrated his 1st Gp win in '68, his fabulous Porsche drives there and then, sadly this awful day.........................40 years already...........unbelievable.

#10 SKL

SKL

• 596 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:24

I too saw Seppi at Road America running his STP 917- still have some slides of him in the pits with his Biostrath drivers suit. He too was my favourite at the time and loved his rivalry with Pedro, who had just died in the Interseries race about the time of the RA Can Am.

I was a freshman in med school studying with the TV on in the background when the late national news had a story of his accident- really crushed me. A few years later I was in Switzerland with a spare day, and I decided to take the train to visit his grave. He was a special driver. I've followed racing since the mid 60's and the two most troubling accidents at the time were Jo's and Mark Donohue's. And of course, May 1 1994...

His biography (written by a close friend who's name escapes right now) is worth the read.

#11 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:36

I too saw Seppi at Road America running his STP 917- still have some slides of him in the pits with his Biostrath drivers suit. He too was my favourite at the time and loved his rivalry with Pedro, who had just died in the Interseries race about the time of the RA Can Am.

I was a freshman in med school studying with the TV on in the background when the late national news had a story of his accident- really crushed me. A few years later I was in Switzerland with a spare day, and I decided to take the train to visit his grave. He was a special driver. I've followed racing since the mid 60's and the two most troubling accidents at the time were Jo's and Mark Donohue's. And of course, May 1 1994...

His biography (written by a close friend who's name escapes right now) is worth the read.

The biography was written by Jacques Deschenaux. It is long out of print but second hand copies are still around.

Last year McKlein published another Jo Siffert book by Ed Heuvink. It is well designed and illustrated and is in English, French and German, well worth buying for anyone who remembers Jo.

#12 charles r

charles r

• 5,591 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:42

Having recently watched the excellent DVD, Live Fast Die Young, it brought back memories of the day, I remember it being a glorious Autumn afternoon with the BRMs looking so competitive and thinking Seppi was going to win that one..