Photo

Mystery 500 - Tony Bianchi and Michael Cubbage

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rbm

rbm

• 336 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 20:27

On behalf of a friend I am posting this here, to hopefully beg upon your collective knowledge

Posted Image

The car is swing arm rear suspension, with double wishbone front, the tubular chassis and is well constucted 500.

Oldest confirmed owner was Tony Bianchi - around 1968/69. Prior to Tony, the owner was a Mr Michael Cubbage.

In the 60's, the car had a JAP engine and was suspended by motorcycle spring-shock absorber units at all four corners. Rear axle was swing type. It has distinctive 3 stud hubs which are possibly Morris 8, ditto the front uprights.

The steering rack is a replacement (the original was a box which has gone) ditto the rear brake drum, as original has gone too. Front suspension set-up is very well made and planned - this hasn't been knocked up in a shed with a hand-held Black and Decker and a hacksaw!

It is thought the car was hill climbed in the 60's - does anyone have a program showing either of the owners running a 500 or knows of the car, without at least name for the car VIF papers cannot be applied for.

Richard

Advertisement

#2 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:49

Can't you ask Tony Bianchi - if indeed he had it as early as you say.

#3 rbm

rbm

• 336 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:23

Unfortunately Tony remembers the car, but not what it was called, which makes tracking it quite difficult.

#4 HiRich

HiRich

• 388 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:18

Richard,
Mr Cubbage hasn't yet come up in my records, which suggests he stuck to the sprints & hills, perhaps in the early 1960s. Do we have any idea where he came from?

Are there any more shots (frame, front & rear details)? My guess would be that it is one of the more celebrated specials, and I can't help but look at the later versions of the Labrani.

#5 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 618 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 17:12

Have you tried Duncan Rabagliati ?

#6 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 18:57

Have you tried Duncan Rabagliati ?

Just Googled Michael Cubbage, there are 4 with relephones in the UK and one who might fit the bill. Ex Artillery captain, you might find him through his Army Air Corp Squadron Association

#7 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 21:49

I have 3 shown on a recent Electoral Roll. Do we have a second name or initial?
Ancestry. co. has a Michael J born in 1923 and married in 1945.
Roger Lund

BTW there is a colour shot of a Labrani at Crystal Palace in 1953 in the PA photo book 100 years of Motor Sport mentioned by Alan Cox in the book thread a while back.

Edited by bradbury west, 26 October 2011 - 21:56.

#8 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:47

More photos would be good as I cant enlarge the one shown .