Safety wire panel fastening

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jackal

jackal

• 74 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:35

Hello

I am really quite intrigued by the safety wire panel fastening on Bugatti's so I have some questions. I have had a look around the internet but I haven't yet been able to find concrete answers.

Were these cars particularly prone to panel vibration?

What is the correct method for wiring the fasteners(pics of how to and not to would be great)?

....and was this a Bugatti thing or did other manufacturers use this method?

Best Regards

Carl

Advertisement

#2 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 734 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 17:45

Hello

I am really quite intrigued by the safety wire panel fastening on Bugatti's so I have some questions. I have had a look around the internet but I haven't yet been able to find concrete answers.

Were these cars particularly prone to panel vibration?

What is the correct method for wiring the fasteners(pics of how to and not to would be great)?

....and was this a Bugatti thing or did other manufacturers use this method?

Best Regards

Carl

Wire locking comes from an age long before Loctite and Nylocs, never mind K-nuts. It is still used in many applications, especially critical chassis and suspension ones. It is installed so that it tends to tighten rather than loosen the bolt or bolts (very easy to do this the wrong way, unless one thinks about it!) There is a very clear diagram of the correct way to safety wire one, two or multiple bolts in one of Carroll Smith's books, "Prepare to win" I think.
Sorry I cannot comment on Bugattis, they were a bit before my time ;)

Edited by doc knutsen, 28 October 2011 - 17:46.