Photo

The best photo?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 cyrilmac

cyrilmac

• 439 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 18:31

Sorry if its been asked before but what do you consider the to be the best photograph of our sport ?

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 19:55

I can think of several

John Cobb in the Napier Railton on the bump on the Brooklands banking
Moss, Jenks and Neubauer at the end of the 1955 Mille Miglia
Fangio in the 250F on opposite lock at Rouen 1957
Hans Hermann being thrown from his BRM at Avus in 1960 in the accident that he miraculously survived
The LAT picture of Gilles Villeneuve at Zandvoort in 1979 with the LH rear tyre disintegrating - and still on opposite lock!
The head on shot of Mansell and Senna alongside one another with both cars kicking up a shower of sparks
Schumacher doing a "jump for joy" on the podium

and, and

(I'm afraid that I don't know the owners of the copyright apart from the Villeneuve one)

Edited by D-Type, 16 November 2011 - 14:14.

#3 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 20:32

Best photo? That's very subjective, so there's really no such thing.

#4 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 21:26

Fangio in the 250F on opposite lock at Rouen 1957

I recently bought William Court's Power & Glory Vol 2 and on page 129 there is wonderful wide shot of Fangio in a perfect four wheel drift at Ain Diab ( Sidi Abderhammam curve I reckon with the desert in the background ) which I think is even better than the photos taken by various people at Rouen in 1957 ( and I never thought I'd see better pictures than those). :love:

#5 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:14

The best is one I have not seen yet. It shows the so-called "Expediter" of William Lucas at the start of the sports car race of the 1950 German GP weekend...

#6 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,936 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:29

The one of Vukovich, sitting on a tool chest in the pits, absolutely done in, having just won the Indy 500 in murderous conditions. I think he's just been told that Carl Scarborough had died. There's a world in that picture.

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:47

To add to the list:

Klemantaski's photo of Mike Hawthorn at Goodwood:

http://www.klemcoll....f...A&option=cp

Nick Loudon's photo of Chris Amon, as posted in the Nick Loudon - motorsport photographer thread:

Chris Amon, Oulton Gold Cup 1968.
Posted Image

#8 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 14:29

Best motor sport photos? Have you people never seen my web site?

Bauble.

#9 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 15:54

To add to the list:

Klemantaski's photo of Mike Hawthorn at Goodwood:

http://www.klemcoll....f...A&option=cp

Nick Loudon's photo of Chris Amon, as posted in the Nick Loudon - motorsport photographer thread:

Tim
I have a very similar shot of Black Jack at almost exactly the same spot, presumably by Loudon but na credits on the back
John

#10 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 16:56

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=103216

This has been running for ages in Another Place...

#11 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 17:29

That one's limited to F1 :)

#12 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 18:37

Unanswerable question, of course, but our late friend Geoff Goddard's sublime shot of Vaccarella's Ferrari 512S being greeted by his fellow Sicilians as it entered Campofelice during the Targa Florio pretty much encapsulated all that has made motor sport so magical, for so many of us...

DCN

#13 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,448 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 19:02

This flaming Ferrari shot of Rainer Schlegelmilch's at Monaco has always been on my list:
http://static.guim.c...Ferrari-006.jpg

Edited by E1pix, 31 October 2011 - 19:04.

#14 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 19:45

Sorry if its been asked before but what do you consider the to be the best photograph of our sport ?

If you changed the word "best" to "favourite" I might have a chance of answering this one. My favourite is not the best (as in technically perfect, decisive moment type of thing) one I've seen, if that makes sense.

Peter Darley's shot of Jimmy Clark "concentrating on the race ahead" shown on P35 of "JC Life at Team Lotus" is as good a portrait of a racing driver as I've ever seen. If I can find a link to it, I'll post it here.
EDIT I have found the photo in the gallery but it looks nothing special; in the book it has been cropped to vertical with just Jimmy and a thousand-yard stare. Cover up the sides of the photo and you'll get the idea; shame about the watermark but we are discussing that elsewhere. Buy the book, if you can find a copy for less than a grand!

JC photo.

As for action photos, there is a Schlegelmilch shot of an F1 car (BRM?) flying at the 'ring, with a wrecked saloon racer at a jaunty angle in the background. Ask me next week and I might pick another. :)

Edited by elansprint72, 31 October 2011 - 19:53.

#15 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 21:20

That one's limited to F1 :)

Fair enough, although I think a lot of the photographs will/would be duplicated - also, there is GP stuff too, if you look.

#16 James Page

James Page

• 368 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:11

Unanswerable question, of course, but our late friend Geoff Goddard's sublime shot of Vaccarella's Ferrari 512S being greeted by his fellow Sicilians as it entered Campofelice during the Targa Florio pretty much encapsulated all that has made motor sport so magical, for so many of us...

DCN

That is a great photo, Doug.

One of my personal favourites shows Hawthorn going through Malmedy at Spa in (I think) 1958. Long shadows, and about half a dozen people leaning on a wire fence watching him. It's taken from the spectator area looking over their shoulders as Hawthorn rushes towards the Masta Straight.

I've had a quick look for it on t'internet but can't find it - and sadly I can't remember the photographer...

#17 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,800 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:51

Are these the ones discussed above?

Posted Image

Link to the Hawthorn Spa one at LAT: http://www.latphoto....l...&height=485

#18 James Page

James Page

• 368 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:11

The Hawthorn one is correct - well found!

I think the Targa Florio pic Doug's talking about shows a rear view of the Ferrari heading towards a right-hander, and beyond the car you can see a collection of spectators cheering and waving as Vaccarella heads towards them.

#19 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,800 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:26

The Hawthorn one is correct - well found!

I think the Targa Florio pic Doug's talking about shows a rear view of the Ferrari heading towards a right-hander, and beyond the car you can see a collection of spectators cheering and waving as Vaccarella heads towards them.

I guess this is the Targa Florio one?

Posted Image

http://www.targaflor...Campofelice.jpg

Taken from http://www.targaflor...ediRoccella.htm

Advertisement

#20 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 394 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 14:41

Could I give my support to this brilliant David Phipps' exposure.

It has everything that makes this sport great.

http://www.doubledeclutch.com/?p=2233

#21 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 17:31

Most of the photographs taken by Robert Fellowes that first appeared in the book 'Grands Prix 1934-1939 had a tremedous influence on me as a kid. The images of Nuvolari's Alfa in the 1937 German Grand Prix and Caracciola's W154 Mercedes in the 1938 Coppa Acerbo summed up what real motor racing was all about for me, despite being taken before I was born!.

#22 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 17:56

Could I give my support to this brilliant David Phipps' exposure.

It has everything that makes this sport great.

http://www.doubledeclutch.com/?p=2233

"Here we see James Hunt in his full pomp having just won the 1977 United States Grand Prix. He is captured puffing on a ciggie, can of beer in hand, expectant Penthouse Pet at his side..."

A great pic, and I also enjoyed the caption above, but surely even James couldn't work that quickly...

#23 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 18:05

DCN

I guess this is the Targa Florio one?

Not such a great photograph, but hell! what a picture!!!...it touches my soul.... :up:

Edited by Giraffe, 02 November 2011 - 18:06.

#24 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 18:47

Those colour shots by Eddie Whitam of Jim Clark in the mid 60s and the amazing one of Donald Campbell in Bluebird on Coniston Water just hours before the fateful moment in 1967 quite astonishing for their clarity sharpness rich colour and composition take a bit of beating.

#25 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 21:37

I think he's just been told that Carl Scarborough had died.

They withheld the news from him for a year then :p

I agree about the pic though, it is a great one.

My own fave is the classic one of Fangio at Rouen in 1957, in complete control, demonstrating why he was a racing driver and I never could be.

#26 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,936 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 22:04

Oh, I thought the Vuky pic was from 1953...

#27 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 22:08

Oh, I thought the Vuky pic was from 1953...

Nah, although I assume he'd have been pretty cream crackered after that one too.

Ooh, just thought of another great pic I love - Jimmy Bryan climbing up the Monza banking to retrieve all the $10 bills that had blown out of his pocket :clap:

#28 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 14:04

Two of my favourites - they may not be the 'best' - involve cars in flight. A superb shot of Hans Stuck flying his BMW at the Nurburgring in around 1974 was used on a Motor Sport cover. Just as good is the famous shot of von Brauchitsch at Donington in 1937, leaping over Melbourne Rise, the driver no doubt absorbing the mysterious warning of the nonchalant flag marshal.....

#29 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,448 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 18:21

"Here we see James Hunt in his full pomp having just won the 1977 United States Grand Prix. He is captured puffing on a ciggie, can of beer in hand, expectant Penthouse Pet at his side..."

A great pic, and I also enjoyed the caption above, but surely even James couldn't work that quickly...

I love the James Hunt photo, too... drinking Schlitz beer from my hometown, no less! :up: