Photo

Raced with James Calado and Valterri Bottas tonight in F1 2011!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 00:06

Both top blokes, Valtteri didn't have his mic on, but I had a good chat with James and he's well down to earth and extremely fast as you would imagine. We were roughly the same pace as them at most tracks but at Yas Marina they were in a league of their own, James was getting in some last minute practice for his imminent GP2 race there! Kind of surreal to think we were speaking and racing with two blokes who could well be F1 drivers in the near future. James says that he has Nick Hamilton on his friends list on PSN, but I didn't have the cheek to ask for his PSN ID :p

Has anyone else come across any real-life racing drivers online? It's no secret that Hamilton, Sutil and Kovalainen hook up online to race on F1. I wouldn't be surprised if i've unknowingly come across some of them before, keeping their identities a secret.

Advertisement

#2 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 21:32

This is uber-cool! I know you're quite good (too fast for me when we raced!!), but how good were they? What sort of times could they do at Yas Marina (my best track)?

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 21:56

I was playing iRacing once and there was a chap called Michael Dorn a couple of places behind me. I can't be sure I was racing Worf from Star Trek, but I reckon I was.

#4 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 22:01

I was playing iRacing once and there was a chap called Michael Dorn a couple of places behind me. I can't be sure I was racing Worf from Star Trek, but I reckon I was.

This is brilliant. Should've asked him to go on voice chat, to check if he had the deep voice...

#5 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:29

This is uber-cool! I know you're quite good (too fast for me when we raced!!), but how good were they? What sort of times could they do at Yas Marina (my best track)?

Did we race against each other before? I can't remember, what's your PSN ID? Yeah, Bottas did a very fast 1:28.9 (driving aids banned, equal performance) for provisional pole which I was only able to come within 2 tenths of, then Calado posted a frankly ridiculous 1:28.2 that left us all speechless. In reflection, i'm pretty sure he was exploiting the track, using the run off at the exits of turns 14 and especially 20 which he treated as if it was a Curva grande type corner and went all the way over across the run off so he could enter the final corner with great speed - I guess it's the real racers instinct to seek any potential advantage :)

In any case, James only seemed to be massively quick at Abu Dhabi, at the other circuits he was a similar pace, if not slower to the ones I was racing with. Understandable as he has more important things to be competitive with and devote his time to!

:lol: I imagine him sitting there with the uniform, massive boney forehead and tash screaming 'Kapla!' every time he gets punted into.

#6 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,050 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:39

Nice one PB :up:

I raced against someone called William Power the other night at Road America in the SM. Beat him by about about 15s by the end of the race so doubt it was the real one!

#7 100cc

100cc

• 3,178 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 15:06

Scott Speed and Sean Van Gisbergen on iRacing - both very fast. Scott Speed was on all the time for a few months but haven't seen him there for a while.. the Giz races a lot.

#8 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 426 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 17:17

Scott Speed was on all the time for a few months but haven't seen him there for a while..

Its the whole 'new addition to the family' thing. I have the same issue right now myself, now where DID I put my PS3?????