Photo

Brian Kreisky, motor racing photographer

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 21:25

Ever heard of a racing photographer who worked for Autosport called Julian Krinsky?

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 23:25

Brian Kreisky?

DCN

#3 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 21:48

Brian Kreisky?

DCN

That must be him. Jim Moore couldn't remember his name but said Brian would take your picture, then demand the money.

I read that Brian died in a tragic plane accident involving 4 members of his family.

Edited by richie, 16 November 2011 - 21:50.

#4 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 22:40

I don't know if he was working for Autosport when I first met him, but he took photographs of just about everyone at club meetings, and the next time he saw you, produced B&W 10"x8" prints and offered them for money - not exactly demand, if you didn't want them, no probem. I bought a few, as an unpaid mechanic , 7/6 (I think, may have been 5/-) was quite a price, but it was nice to have a record of the event.

Actually, the size might have been 6½" x 8½". I can't easily put my hand on one...

Edited to add that I think he called himself "Sunrise Productions".

Edited by Tony Matthews, 16 November 2011 - 22:42.

#5 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 23:14

I don't know if he was working for Autosport when I first met him, but he took photographs of just about everyone at club meetings, and the next time he saw you, produced B&W 10"x8" prints and offered them for money - not exactly demand, if you didn't want them, no probem. I bought a few, as an unpaid mechanic , 7/6 (I think, may have been 5/-) was quite a price, but it was nice to have a record of the event.

Actually, the size might have been 6½" x 8½". I can't easily put my hand on one...

Any idea when he started doing the racing pictures? Jim said he thought he worked for Autosport.

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 00:10

I've just checked Kreisky's obituary in Autosport and it makes no mention of him having worked for the magazine. That doesn't mean he didn't, of course.

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 00:42

Maybe he wasn't on the Autosport payroll but regularly sold pictures to them.

(a guess with no factual basis)

#8 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 397 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:25

Brian did freelance for Autosport. He wrote race reports as well in his pre-television days.

I remember him from the early years of Group C, when he had a contract with Rothmans Porsche.

As far as I can recall he set up FOCA TV for Bernie. Then he set his own outfit up on the Isle of Man producing such masterpieces as the Havoc series of videos.

There is a BBC obit here

He could be very funny but most who dealt with him regularly regarded him as 'difficult'.

#9 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:33

Brian also shot cine film at club meetings in the 60s. I recall my late father had some of his 60s film from '69, Thruxton, but gawd knows what happened to it. Other people have told me they had (or have) some 60s Kreisky film too...would love to see it. Thanks to Brian, when VHS was introduced to us we could buy his 'VideoVision' videos of the early 80s Formula Ford festivals, the Brands 1000km and so on before the market expanded with the choice we are fortunate to have today.

#10 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:33

I don't think Brian set up FOCA for Bernie, very unlikely! Brian set up Greenlight on the Isle of Man, where several freelance cameramen were/are based. As these cameramen (most of whom I have worked with ) did do work on Grand Prix coverage as well as for Brian, I can see where the confusion may lie.

In the very sad footage of Riccardo Paletti in Canada, Brian is the camerman filming the aftermath on the grid who nearly gets caught up in the fire.

#11 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:34

It should not be forgotten that Brian was also instrumental in sending a french consortium led by Vincent Mausset to see Peter Connew in Chadwell Heath nearly 40 years ago.

#12 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 14:29

7½" x 9½" apparently, and "Sunrise International Productions"!

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Tony Matthews, 10 December 2011 - 14:42.

#13 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 868 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 14:41

Wasn't Kreisky also involved in Melchester Racing that ran Gordon Smiley in Aurora? If that's the same Brian, he actually ended beating the s*** out of Smiley in the paddock at Zandvoort during an argument...

#14 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 14:54

I don't know if he was working for Autosport when I first met him, but he took photographs of just about everyone at club meetings, and the next time he saw you, produced B&W 10"x8" prints and offered them for money - not exactly demand, if you didn't want them, no probem.

That was quite common in the 80's. John Gaisford, Steve Jones, Chris Davies etc. By that time they were offering colour 10x8's all pretty good value for money. I've got quite a lot from my racing days.

Chris Davies did some film work for VideoVision and filmed the 1982 Festival where Gugelmin was pitched on his lid in the final and Chris did well to keep filming as the car landed at his feet. Chris gave me Kreisky's phone number and I picked a pre production copy from Brians house.

Edited by alansart, 10 December 2011 - 15:00.

#15 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 15:04

That was quite common in the 80's. John Gaisford, Steve Jones, Chris Davies etc. By that time they were offering colour 10x8's all pretty good value for money. I've got quite a lot from my racing days.

I thought I only had Kreisky photos, but I've also got ones by Evan Selwyn-Smith (Official Photographer to the BRSCC!) and Bruce Stevens.

Great video, Alan!

#16 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 15:59

I read that Brian died in a tragic plane accident involving 4 members of his family.

In 2001, Brian and (perhaps) a brother, and a male and female of a younger generation.

#17 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 16:27

In fact just before Christmas 2000.

#18 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 19:32

In fact just before Christmas 2000.

Yes, of course, there would have been an inquest, so the death registrations would have been delayed. ):

#19 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 21:14

Whatever happened to Julian Krinsky? He used to have his very own thread...

Advertisement

#20 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 22:07

I had the 'doubtful' privilege of helping Brian out by lugging the video recorder attached to one of his cameramen at one or two events in the early '80s, after I had met him through David Winstanley, who started his video career filming for Brian. Although I got on with him tolerably well (I think because I wasn't actually on his payroll and because he was impressed that I knew a lot of people through my race reporting), Brian could be extremely difficult and I'm glad I never had to work for him. He was well-known for bawling out his camera crews if things hadn't gone entirely to his liking - in particular I recall the time when his man panned round the other way and missed the Senna/Brundle F3 accident at Oulton Park, the only film of the incident being captured by TNF's own 'Pressman', Steve Jones, who, coincidentally, had his Oulton Park videos later ditributed by the said Mr Winstanley.

#21 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:10

I met Brian quite a few times as he was very friendly with my late father - probably two awkward characters!!
Didn't Brian also own the Halfway House pub in Dunstable in the early 1980s?

#22 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 21:32

Wasn't Kreisky also involved in Melchester Racing that ran Gordon Smiley in Aurora? If that's the same Brian, he actually ended beating the s*** out of Smiley in the paddock at Zandvoort during an argument...

He owned the cars.