Photo

Simpson Engineering

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 21:37

I grew up watching this team in various series usually running big single seaters or Sportscars from Aurora F1 to Group C. Robin Smith and Richard Jones were usually driving did they own the company? Also they seemed to vanish over a decade ago anyone know why or what there doing now?

Advertisement

#2 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 21:53

I grew up watching this team in various series usually running big single seaters or Sportscars from Aurora F1 to Group C. Robin Smith and Richard Jones were usually driving did they own the company? Also they seemed to vanish over a decade ago anyone know why or what there doing now?

I had an email from Robin a while ago. He's retired on some distant island.

#3 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,127 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 21:55

Alas, Smith and Jones? :rolleyes:

#4 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 22:06

Alas, Smith and Jones? :rolleyes:

The last time I saw Ferdy Jones was at David Lomas's funeral in 1999, I think the family timber business is still in existence in Stockport

Edited by Sharman, 13 November 2011 - 22:07.

#5 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 23:48

The company is still alive http://www.simpsonmo...t...1&name=Home Robin Smith founded and owned it, its son is involved in it :)

#6 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:52

The company is still alive http://www.simpsonmo...t...1&name=Home Robin Smith founded and owned it, its son is involved in it :)

One Simpson Engineering's most memorable cars, the ex Sullivan March 817 Can Am.
Posted Image
Robin leading Flux's Lola T530 at Brands in 1987...

#7 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:56

I had an email from Robin a while ago. He's retired on some distant island.

Is he still contactable? I would like to ask a few questions about his Thundersports career.

#8 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 19:54

Simon a pretty iconic car from British Club racing in the 80s Stingbrace and Randaccio also used to pedal this awesome machine.

#9 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:18

Simon a pretty iconic car from British Club racing in the 80s Stingbrace and Randaccio also used to pedal this awesome machine.

Indeed they did. There is a nice Youtube clip of the car in action from TNFs own Andrew Kitson

I think Randaccio later partnered Robin in a Ferrari 348-engined Spice at Sebring and Daytona in the mid 90s.

#10 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 20:12

Is he still contactable? I would like to ask a few questions about his Thundersports career.

Email me at allen@oldracingcars.com - I'll see what I can do.

#11 km1164

km1164

• 82 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 14:01

Robin Smith is barbadosland and who can blame him at his age and our weather!

Robin was part from a race driver and car preparer owner for 18 months with Lawrence Jacobsen Chevron cars after Derek Bennet died
The march 817 is now in italy and Robin race many Gp 6 Chevron sports cars in the 70's and 80's as well as driving some F1 & F2 singe seaters in Aurora F Libre and F2/atlantic races
His contact with the Italians assisted him to run Gp C cars and roll into GT with the Ferraris with them
I believe the Simpson name from the business is part of his real name of Simpson Smith
Robins son now runs the business running a GT car for the Italian lads they have catered for over 20 years