Eastern Creek Nov 26th 2011

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:15

Posted Image
....The November Meeting in few weeks time how about a TNF,er get together on Saturday after the meeting.

Who coming and were will we meet up. :up: :wave:

Edited by eldougo, 14 November 2011 - 08:31.

Advertisement

#2 rms

rms

• 143 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:24

Will be looking after Peter Barclay's BT21A Twin Cam and Victoria Le Gallais' BT15 MAE.

Saturday night will find me in the bar at the Chifley !!!!

Erol

#3 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:40

Whats running in group M/O?

#4 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:05

Me, in the Cooper as there is unfortunately no pre 60 race, not enough entries.

A good field of quickies in M and O plus quite a lot of Juniors.

#5 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:35

What No JKL???

Our good friend here in Mr. Willis, is obviously too much the gentleman to state his disappointment at the news that there will be no pre 1960 racers, so I might just help out if I may.

This is something of a tragedy and a serious dent in the Historic movements’ future. Please let me say that I applaud his good work and the work of others in beating the drum so to speak of the early racing car fraternity. We as competitors and potential competitors owe those people like Dick, a great deal of thanks for the work they have done and will no doubt do into the future. To those 11 good men and woman who entered, I thank you.

Those of us in the antipodes would love to have come and helped but, the tyranny of distance is a large part of our inability to attend such meetings. This of course is just one of our excuses, money or rather our unwillingness to part with it is another, and then again, we have to part with significantly more amounts to attend Eastern Creek than most on the eastern shores. But what are the rest of the movement using as an excuse. Health, wealth? What?

I often hear the health argument put up, but then see that many are more than capable of driving a caravan half way across the continent use that excuse, I think 8 laps of the Creek would be a breeze for most people’s tickers compared with navigating your way through a hook turn in the middle of Bourke St. When it’s all said and done the medical check is a breeze really, short of serious cranial dysfunction most would get a license to compete. Looking at it objectively, I am sure that at a later stage in life, many will not be beating the lap record, but then again it’s not about the driver it’s about your car. As was once said “drivers are just like light bulbs, keep plugging them in until it works” and many owners would be far better served by plugging in a newer driver if the ticker is a bit dodgy!

The wealth argument is of course a valid one, It wouldn’t matter who you are, $$$ count and if you cannot afford to run a car then maybe it’s time to pass it onto one who can, that doesn’t mean selling it in most cases. The cost to have a driver run your car isn’t great; most that have a license would drive for zip to get the experience.

We over west watch our pennies as you do and can only enjoy your good companionship a couple of times a year at the premier events in your state. We also have to hide the cheque buts from the good woman, but if we as a group don’t support promoters to run events for early cars by entering, then we may as well export them to another country, the value now is a whole lot better than what it will be if racing of this type of car ceases in this country.
Little help being penny wise and dollar foolish, save a $1000.00 today by not running the car and strip $1000’s off the value of the car?.

The latest catch cry of the medical profession is one that many historic car owners should take up as their mantra,

“USE IT OR LOSE IT”

#6 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 19:51

Trust you Thomas to beat the drum for the JKL ( pre 60 for the uninitiated ) group, I really went from hero to zero after a great Wakefield Park meeting in September where we had about 60 starters in 3 race groups to not enough for one race at Eastern Creek.

The reasons put forward are many but the solutions are few however be assured that this reality check won't finish us but encourage us to think of solutions to enable us to do better in the future, not only in NSW but all of Australia, yes including WA, as we have a pool of over 100 cars but we just have to get them to use them, "USE IT OR LOSE IT"

#7 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 418 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 20:07

I will be there with the Proton in group O.

Dale.

#8 Shane Bowden

Shane Bowden

• 106 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 21:11

Apologies Dick, cannot make it in PRAD 5 as I have work committments. I have done 7 events this year in the PRAD and I will be pulling the motor for a refresh as Thomas Benson has been boasting that the BMH is going better than ever and is ready for the Island in March.

As stated you did a fantastic job at Wakefield in Sep and it is a let down that JKL is not very well supported at Eastern Creek.

kind regards Shane

#9 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 22:56

Here is a list of M and O racing entries as of last couple of days ....Ed

Group M Racing cars - Formula Junior
2 Graham Brown QLD 1962 Brabham BT2 FJ
20 Maurice Blackwood NSW 1961 Lotus 20B
60 Geoff Fry NSW 1962 Jolus FJ
67 Robert Buckley QLD 1969 GolFord Special FJ
92 Don Thallon QLD 1963 MRC.22 Ford FJ
93 Simon Pymble NSW 1963 Brabham BT 6 FJ

Group M racing cars - Formula 2 and 3
6 Tom Tweedie NSW 1965 Lola T60 F2
87 Victoria Le Gallais NSW 1965 Brabham BT 15

Group M Racing Cars over 1100cc
11 Jamie Larner VIC 1965 Brabham BT11
14 Richard Longes NSW 1965 Brabham BT 14
17 Ed Holly NSW 1963 Brabham BT6
77 Henry Walker NSW 1965 Nalla Holden

Group O racing cars to 1600cc
1 Richard Carter NSW 1966 Elfin Monocoque
21 Peter Barclay NSW 1966 Brabham BT 21A
24 Geoff Varey NSW 1968 Gryphon
27 David Kent NSW 1969 Brabham BT 29
28 Damon Hancock NSW 1967 Brabham BT23C
53 Laurie Bennett VIC 1970 Elfin 600 B
54 Ray Stubber WA 1969 Brabham BT29
64 Paul Hamilton NSW 1968 Elfin 600
96 Dale Harvey NSW 1969 Proton F2
111 Wayne Wilson NSW 1969 Rennmax BN2

Group O racing cars over 1600cc
9 Les Wright NSW 1967 Brabham Buick V8
26 Peter Strauss VIC 1968 Brabham BT31
66 Gary Malyon NSW 1968 Pitstock Holden Special

Invited Group L Racing Cars
37 Dick Willis NSW 1959 Mildren Cooper T51
50 David Reid NSW 1959 Faux Pas
52 Mike Gosbell NSW 1960 Cooper T52 FJ
89 John Medley NSW Nota Formula Junior - the very car pictured on the Aussie photo thread yesterday with John driving it in 1976

Edited by ed holly, 14 November 2011 - 22:59.

#10 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:57

OK so it a poor field in JKL . So i guess if you have nothing better to do that watch and talk all day we should get together at the bar upstairs after the last race.

#11 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:26

Caught up with a few TNFers on saturday ,before the days events were cancelled due to a very bad incident in turn 2.

This is John Medley Nota still looking good and going just as well.
Posted Image
Dale Harvey Proton.
Posted Image

TNFers resting Brian Lear & DaleHarvey.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Mc Kee F5000
Posted Image
Formula Ford & Formula Vee field.
Posted Image
Looking out the back of the pits from the roof top pit viewing area.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by eldougo, 29 November 2011 - 07:52.

#12 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:46

Good pic of the John Medley Nota, pity he put the wrong diff in it, more suitable for tight Winton than the long straight at Eastern Creek, which in y view, is still a great circuit. I hope they don't put too much "Mickey Mouse" stuff in the new extension.

#13 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:48

Caught up with a few TNFers on saturday ,before the days events were cancelled due to a very bad incident in turn 2.

This is John Medley Nota still looking good and going just as well.
Posted Image

Gawd! does JM still race that device or is it now just a trailer queen?? :D :cat:

#14 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,127 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:37

Any news on Steve Pitman?

#15 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 418 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:42

The news at the Sunday drivers briefing was that he was out of intensive care but had a lot of broken bits and would recover. This was greeted by a round of applause.

Dale.

#16 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:01

:up: Thanks Dale. It was nice to meet a new TNFer .

#17 Formula 5000

Formula 5000

• 40 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:59

Would someone mind giving an update on this incident. I find it most concerning. I noticed on Natsoft timing that races were cancelled. This is a most unusual thing and I feared what might have happened.

#18 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:53

I was there and it was very to find out what happened in the touring car you can not see this part of the track from the pits,i would not like to post without the full facts of which i have only heard second hand. When the police arrived i decided to head home.Maybe some HSRCA members might like to post some facts.

Edited by eldougo, 30 November 2011 - 07:55.

#19 Formula 5000

Formula 5000

• 40 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:08

It gets more worrying "the Police were involved." Surely that is most unusual.

I await with some trepidation for an update please.

Advertisement

#20 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,013 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:47

Second-hand information, but pretty accurate, as far as I can tell.

David Wheatly's Mini had broken down and was parked against the wall near Turn 2. Steve Pitman spun a few laps later and hit the rear corner of the Mini with the driver's door of his car. Remember that there had been a LOT of rain and that the run-off areas were very slippery.

I understand the impact lifted the Mini about a metre in the air.

Steve suffered multiple injuries, several fractures and was unconscious. The Fire Brigade cut him from the car and he was operated on for several hours that night.

On Sunday morning the HSRCA officials announced that Steve was out of immediate danger and is expected to make a full recovery.

On Monday morning I was contacted by one magazine that had heard that 'someone had been killed.' Certainly it looked bad with the Police and Fire Brigade attending. I can't tell you how relieved I felt on Sunday when I got the good news.

Bruce Moxon

#21 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 13:47

From Aaron Lewis, glad to help him overcome a computer problem to post. Indy Eagle Ford.

Posted Image

#22 Formula 5000

Formula 5000

• 40 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 21:38

Thankyou for the update on the Turn 2 incident. We are much relieved. Our best wishes to Steve Pitman for a speedy recovery.

#23 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,127 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 22:08

Thanks Bruce.....the news is a lot better than the [incorrect] message we had at Phillip Is. on Saturday, thank goodness. Get well soon, Steve. :wave:

#24 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:37

It gets more worrying "the Police were involved." Surely that is most unusual.

I await with some trepidation for an update please.

Rob...it is normal for police to be involved with serious bingles...hang-over from the speedways act etc

I presume David was out of the Mini when it was hit?

Never good to hear about people being injured at an event... :|

#25 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,252 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 20:45

Nothing to do with the Speedways Act...

Police are involved because there is a possibility of a Coronial Enquiry in some circumstances.

#26 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 21:04

A few random photo's from Eastern Creek.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 Murray Lord

Murray Lord

• 34 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:26

Here are a couple of photos from the Sunday. A few more pictures, and larger versions of these ones, can be found at http://www.pbase.com...creek_historics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:27

Thanks Murray, good pic of my Cooper.

#29 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:37

A few more pics from Eastern Creek,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 xj13v12

xj13v12

• 265 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 19:49

Thanks Murray, good pic of my Cooper.

All good shots Murray, including the Eagle. You should join the official HSRCA photgrapher's group.

#31 gouldo

gouldo

• 142 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 17:06

Police are involved because there is a possibility of a Coronial Enquiry in some circumstances.

Thats correct.

Eastern Creek is in my patrol, and we have attended a number of accidents, at both the raceway & the dragstrip over the past couple of years. It's part of the SOPS (standard operating procedures) that should there be a major acco where someone is seriously injured with what we call life threatening injuries, all bases are covered, just in case. It is generally the case at major events - national drag series, v8's, A1, there was always a police officer rostered on as 'the coroners representative.' Sounds like a callous term, but thats what it was.

#32 gouldo

gouldo

• 142 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 17:06

Thats correct.

Eastern Creek is in my patrol, and we have attended a number of accidents, at both the raceway & the dragstrip over the past couple of years. It's part of the SOPS (standard operating procedures) that should there be a major acco where someone is seriously injured with what we call life threatening injuries, all bases are covered, just in case. It is generally the case at major events - national drag series, v8's, A1, there was always a police officer rostered on as 'the coroners representative.' Sounds like a callous term, but thats what it was.

#33 gouldo

gouldo

• 142 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 17:08

A few more pics from Eastern Creek,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Good pic of the clubbies Timbo. Got any more of the middle one (98)

#34 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,013 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 18:54

Good pic of the clubbies Timbo. Got any more of the middle one (98)

I did.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bruce Moxon

#35 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 22:56

Looking at Natsoft there was some familiar names from the past over several classes.
John Smith, Bernie Haehnle,Steve Land, Wayne Rogerson, Richard Carter and several more. Some I did not know where still in the sport.
The last GpN race Sunday, what happened as it was only one lap completed.

#36 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,623 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 00:37

All still very competitive too - very interesting to see Bernie back in a Vee - usually in the top 3 or thereabouts. Lawrie Bennett is another doing very well in his Elfin 600.

#37 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:09

Rob...it is normal for police to be involved with serious bingles...hang-over from the speedways act etc

I presume David was out of the Mini when it was hit?

Never good to hear about people being injured at an event... :|

Motor Vehicle Sports (Public Safety) Act 1985 No 24Current version for 6 July 2009 to date (accessed 10 December 2011 at 20:06)Part 2?Posted ImageSection 7<< page >>7 Cancellation or suspension, or variation of conditions of, licences

(1) The Minister may, for good cause:

(a) suspend a licence,

(b) vary, during the currency of a licence, the conditions to which the licence is subject, or

© cancel a licence.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1), a licence may be suspended or cancelled, or the conditions of a licence may be varied, if the Minister is satisfied that:

(a) proper and adequate precautions have not been taken or have ceased to be taken at the motor vehicle racing ground for the safety of the public or competitors or persons in proximity to the ground,

(b) the length, width, curvature, grade or surface of the track used for motor vehicle racing at the ground is such as to constitute a danger to the public or competitors or persons in proximity to the ground,

© the lands and buildings of which the motor vehicle racing ground consists are generally unsuitable for the holding of meetings for motor vehicle racing,

(d) the power, type, construction or number of motor vehicles competing or to compete at any meeting for motor vehicle racing held at the ground is such as would constitute a danger to the public or competitors or persons in proximity to the ground, or

(e) the accommodation for the public is situated too close to the track used for motor vehicle racing at the ground.

(3) The suspension or cancellation of a licence, or a variation of the conditions to which a licence is subject, takes effect when notified by the Minister to the licensee.

(4) Where any act, omission or circumstance constituting good cause for the exercise by the Minister of a power conferred by this section constitutes an offence under this Act or the regulations:

(a) the power may be exercised notwithstanding that a penalty has been incurred by a licensee or any other person for the offence, and

(b) a person may incur a penalty for the offence notwithstanding, where the person is a licensee, that the person’s licence has been cancelled or otherwise dealt with under this section.

The Police and other authorities do the Ministers bidding in this regard....and here is the old Speedways Act that preceded the current legislation....

Motor Vehicle Sports (Public Safety) Act 1985 No 24Current version for 6 July 2009 to date (accessed 10 December 2011 at 20:47)Part 4?Posted ImageSection 18<< page >>18 Repeal and savings

(1) In this section, appointed day means the day appointed and notified under section 2 (2).

(2) The Speedway Racing (Public Safety) Act 1957 is repealed.

(3) Subsection (2) does not affect any provision of the Metropolitan Traffic Act 1900 or the <A href="http://www.legislati... no=5&nohits=y" target=main>Motor Traffic Act 1909 in force immediately before the appointed day.

(4) A licence under the Act repealed by subsection (2) for a speedway within the meaning of that Act, being a licence which, immediately before the appointed day, had not expired or been cancelled, shall be deemed to be a licence for a motor vehicle racing ground and shall, subject to this Act, continue in force subject to the conditions to which the licence was subject immediately before that day.

(5) A licence referred to in subsection (4) which, immediately before the appointed day, was under suspension shall, subject to this Act, continue to be suspended for the duration of the period of suspension imposed and shall be deemed to have been suspended under this Act.

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 10 December 2011 - 09:52.

#38 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,127 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 21:03

Not sure what meeting it was, but we arrived REALLY EARLY to spectate at Warwick Farm in 1961, and set up on a perfect viewing spot, near the 'Esses'. After about three hours of chatting about how good a position we had, the Police Force arrived, and told us we were in a 'dangerous position', and must leave immediately. As all the 'good spots' were now gone, we argued with the cops for some time, pointing out that there was no danger at all, as the race cars would need to be amphibious to get across the lake.

Anyone who has argued with police would be able to guess who won! They threatened to halt the meeting until we [about 100 of us] all moved. Police had the power to do that. I think the Speedways Act covered the situation at the time.

Edited by GMACKIE, 10 December 2011 - 21:04.

#39 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,396 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 22:52

I remember a Sprite rolled at Apple Shed corner on the 40 Bends Hiilclimb in the late 1960's,he had no roll bar but was OK and walking but had something wrong with one of his shoulders so the Ambulance took him to Lithgow Hospital.Most people went home but we hung around hoping we would get another run or 2 & Hour or so later the Police turned up and wanted to know what happened we were told they have to investigate any motoring accident that required Hospitalisation whether on the track,road or farm.

Advertisement

#40 gouldo

gouldo

• 142 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:50

Thanks Bruce. Great pics as usual.