Photo

1955 London Trophy (or not)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:26

In 1955 there were two F1 races at Crystal Palace. On Whitsun weekend 30/5/55 Peter Collins won a two part race in a Maserati 250F. On 30/7/55 two Heats and a Final saw Mike Hawthorn win, again in a Maserati 250F.

Sheldon makes no mention of the May races, but carries full details of the July meeting, with the race listed as the III London Trophy. The websites of Darren Galpin & Quentin Cloud both agree with the Sheldon listings (maybe their source?).

No problems so far, but…

Motor Sport magazine’s report on the Whitsun May meetings states that Peter Collins lifted the London Trophy! Their report of the July races says that Mike Hawthorn won the ‘International Trophy’.

So my question is - was the London Trophy in May or July, won by Collins or Hawthorn?

I am hoping that someone out there has the original programme(s) and can provide confirmation one way or another.

If someone has details of the May meeting, I would really appreciate seeing the full results and entry list (with start numbers)

Thanks in advance
Rob

Advertisement

#2 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:36

The May race was won by Peter Collins in the Owen Maserati and the July race by Hawthorn in the Moss Maserati.
The earlier race was Formula Libre which explains its abscence from the 'Black Book'.

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:48

Richard Page's Record of Motor Racing at Crystal Palace has full details of these races. The London Trophy (Formule Libre, as Eric says) was in May, the July Formula 1 race was the International Trophy.

Edited by Roger Clark, 14 November 2011 - 08:49.

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:56

As Roger says, the July race was the International Trophy. We discussed this anomaly here - this is what I posted at the time:

No, the race he won at Crystal Palace was called the International Trophy. However, the Sheldon Black Book wrongly lists this race as the London Trophy, and this error has proliferated across all the websites that have obviously used Sheldon as their source. As Eric says, the London Trophy was won by Peter Collins.

#5 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:37

Thanks Eric & Tim for clearing that up... and apologies for not finding the relevant post using the search tool :blush:

Sorry Roger, but I don't have the book you mention... I've sent you an email ;)

Rob

Edited by Rob Ryder, 14 November 2011 - 10:42.

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:05

Thanks Eric & Tim for clearing that up... and apologies for not finding the relevant post using the search tool :blush:

To be fair, Rob, it was a very brief discussion buried deep within another thread whose title gave no real clue that it might be there.

#7 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:15

"Sorry Roger, but I don't have the book you mention"

Available from Formula One Register
http://www.formulaon...tal_Palace.html

Edited by RAP, 14 November 2011 - 12:16.

#8 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 13:43

I have the programmes for both of these 1955 meetings and can confirm that on the 30th May the London Trophy was run in two 12 lap parts for "Racing Cars of unlimited capacity, supercharged or unsupercharged".

On July 30th the International Trophy Race was run in two 10 lap heats and a 15 lap final. Regs. for this were"non-supercharged racing cars not exceeding 2500cc engine capacity"

#9 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 13:54

On July 30th the International Trophy Race was run in two 10 lap heats and a 15 lap final. Regs. for this were"non-supercharged racing cars not exceeding 2500cc engine capacity"

So - technically - not Formula 1 either. ;)