Photo

Norm Houser

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 18:21

I looking for info for Mr. Norm Houser's career.
Only know for him Championship Car and Indy 500 results in 40s and early 50s years.I didn"t give me any info the Google...

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,125 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 16:15

I have very little on Mr. Houser, nephew (?) of Thane Houser, (riding) mechanic and sometime driver of the teens and twenties. First entry I have for Norm is October 5, 1941, AAA Sprint Cars at Jungle Park (IN), finishing 3rd in the 8-lap consolation race. After WW2, he apparently raced again at Jungle Park in an independent meet on September 23, 1945, and at Dayton Speedway (OH) June 28, 1946, finishing 4th in a AAA main event. Later that year, he was listed for another independent meet at Converse (IN) October 13, possibly MDTRA sanction, but probably didn't appear as he was in good standing with AAA for the rest of his career, being listed 62nd in AAA with 54 points for 1946.

He was 9th in AAA Midwestern points (70) in 1947, and 19th (49) the following year. Individual race results are more difficult to find, but he was 3rd in the first heat (8 laps) at Dayton (June 15), 3rd again in the third heat (8 laps) and 6th in the 20-lap main at Salem Speedway (IN, June 22), and 4th in the 5-lap consy at Milwaukee (August 21) in 1947. He also may have competed at Dayton (September 26) in 1948 and Salem (October 9) in 1949.

#3 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 18:32

Conclusion:Maybe he was a hobby racer...Not too much info for him :well:
I searched any newspapers,but wasn't any records.Stock cars,midgets?

#4 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,125 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 19:11

No Midget racing record that I know of, and no clue about him driving stock cars, but I don't think he was "a hobby racer", at least not during the forties. He may have been a part-time pro, but in order to finish in the top ten in AAA Sprint points he must've done some racing. I reckon he may have decided early on that he wasn't going to be the new Ted Horn, and quit while he was still in one part!

#5 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,125 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 19:41

Posted Image

#6 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 20:11

The article did not solve the problem finally.Hm...14 years of racing?If we are including the wartime years in it started races on the end of the 30 years possibly then(If finishing after 1951 Indy 500).Sure this only speculation....

#7 GILMORE

GILMORE

• 71 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:52

Can't share with you anything on his career, Richard. I did however notice several race reports on Ancestry.com as well as a "teaser" of a May 30, 1968 article in The Robesonian (Lumberton, North Carolina) stating that Norm and Than/Thane were father and son. Sorry, I do not currently have a membership there. Otherwise I'd download and send them to you.

Ancestry.com newspaper search

#8 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,125 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 16:06

Yes, I've also seen many references to Norm being Thane's son, but Richard Jenkins is usually well informed in these things and says he was a nephew - hence my confusion and the question mark. Maybe we can get Richard to join in this discussion? Perhaps if we scream loud enough?

Richard!

RICHARD!!

RICHARD!!?

C'mon, guys, help me! :D

#9 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 17:21

Here is an article for Norm's 1947 Allison car(later Shreve Spl.)and there described Norm was Thane's son again!!!!

http://www.conceptca...ve-Special.aspx

#10 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,207 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 23:24

Yes, I've also seen many references to Norm being Thane's son, but Richard Jenkins is usually well informed in these things and says he was a nephew - hence my confusion and the question mark. Maybe we can get Richard to join in this discussion? Perhaps if we scream loud enough?

Richard!

RICHARD!!

RICHARD!!?

C'mon, guys, help me! :D

There's no need to shout. :) Either way, I was wrong. :blush: This source - http://search.ancest...w...houser&st=g and the 1920 Census both confirm Norm is Thane's SON. Sincere apologies for any confusion.

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 31 October 2012 - 23:25.

#11 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,314 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 20:45

When I was in the Speedway photoshop, possibly three or four years ago, members of the Houser family came in and were roundy welcomed by the IMS staff. The Speedway may be able to help with contact information for the family.