CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 15:46

Posted Image

Renault Rs27
Posted Image

Cosworth Ca2010
Posted Image

Edit: Also in the first picture I posted, the cascades are white. They were black on the 32 & 33.

Edited by CrucialXtreme, 24 January 2012 - 15:48.

Advertisement

#752 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,828 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 15:47

No, but for two significant reasons:
1) Button is WDC
2) Button is younger

And if it is Button's last team in F1 as it likely will be?

#753 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 15:47

Yep, it's Cosworth.

#754 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 17:56

WilliamsF1Team Williams F1
Thanks for all your tweets! eagle eye spotters will be sorry to hear that they were last year's race cars and showcars in the photos!

and

And while we've been busy in Grove, our reserve driver Valtteri Bottas has been busy in Qatar... ..

Valtteri had time for a few laps in the Ferrari simulator at the Qatar Motor Show – and he's gone 2.5s faster than Mark Gene's top time!

#755 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:04

Here's a link to the Sky Maldonado interview

http://www1.skysport...points-finishes

They seem to have ramped up on the F1 coverage quite a bit already

#756 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,413 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:09

Renault Rs27
Posted Image

Doesn't even say Renault on it. How odd.

#757 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,756 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:25

Yeah, other than that glaringly large logo on the top, that engine could have been made by anyone.

#758 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:30

Well... it has a Renault symbol on the top.

The Cosworth has a strange shape, like it goes up a bit on the back, that can't be good when making a smooth sloping back end.

#759 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:09

Well... it has a Renault symbol on the top.

The Cosworth has a strange shape, like it goes up a bit on the back, that can't be good when making a smooth sloping back end.

Yeah, just looking at the shape of the engines it is clear that from a packaging standpoint the Renault must be better

Of the other Renault teams, I feel Williams need to aim to be in front of Lotus this year. Red Bull are too far away, and I expect Williams to be in front of Caterham, but the real test will be how they stack up against Lotus.

Advertisement

#760 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:11

lol...

#761 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,321 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:29

Both are EBX Group's companies. OGX is the offshore oil drilling company and OSX is the shipbuilding one.
At the moment, all OSX production is addressed to supply OGX with floating production systems.

There are other companies in the holding like:

MMX - Minning
LLX - Logistics
RJX - Volleyball

EB, OG, OS, MM, LL, RJ, but no SE?

#762 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 17:51

Plenty of...
Luma de Oliveira, former Playmate and Missus Batista.

Missus Batista

Edited by IceSkyrim, 26 January 2012 - 13:51.

#763 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 18:19

GTi

#764 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:48

This months motorsport magatine is a Williams special!

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/

Hopefully the FW33 will be left out...

#765 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,505 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:03

Excellent! :up:

#766 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:13

Mark Hughes: "One of the reasons the FW33’s tiny gearbox did not bring the hoped-for aerodynamic advantage was that the engine cover formed too much of a blockage. The homologated position of the Cosworth’s inlet trumpets made for a more aerodynamically obstructive cover. The Renault’s layout allows the cover to be tailored much more favourably. The FW34 will retain the tiny gearbox and it just might be that all that potential airflow advantage is finally released."

Choosing Cosworth in 2010 was really bad idea. Not only it was the worst engine (at least at the beginning), but also it hampered Williams with KERS, EBD and gearbox. All money they saved on it, were probably lost last year. Hopefully with Renault they will be in better shape, but as I said many times, I'm not sure if they can with these drivers...

#767 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:36

Perfect. You have already achieved your goal.
If the FW34 will be fast, it will be thanks to Williams. If it is slow, it will be driver's fault.
Who is better than you?

#768 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 17:26

If the FW34 will be fast, it will be thanks to Williams. If it is slow, it will be driver's fault.
Who is better than you?

I have no doubt that Williams will be at least 6th best team in 2012, which will be a step forward.

#769 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 18:10

Who is better than you?

If it is fast, it will be thanks to Williams. If it is slow it will be Williams fault. Obviously, exceptional drivers can achieve the maximum, whereas less talented can't, but the only way you will turn a race winning car into a back marker by driver, is if you put me in the car. One Williams driver is a GP2 champion, the other a runner up. They both clearly know how to drive the car. They may not get as far up the grid as if Alonso or Vettel were driving, but nor could anyone else.

#770 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 372 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 18:43

Choosing Cosworth in 2010 was really bad idea.

I think the choice was made in 09? Then there was some uncertainty about Renault continuing in F1. Also at the time of the FOTA split, Williams was kicked out of FOTA and Flav made noises about preventing Williams from having Renault power. I think it wasn't a straightforward decision.

Even losing half a season with Cosworth issues, Williams finished sixth in 2010 as opposed to 7th in 09. I think the main problem was that Cosworth did not have the money, or were not willing, to invest in F1. It couldn't do all the advanced electronics for the price of a budget engine.

If Cosworth couldn't do it, you have to wonder about PURE in 2013.

#771 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 19:11

I don't think I can take PURE seriously until I see a team run a car with a PURE engine.

#772 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:07

I think the choice was made in 09? Then there was some uncertainty about Renault continuing in F1. Also at the time of the FOTA split, Williams was kicked out of FOTA and Flav made noises about preventing Williams from having Renault power. I think it wasn't a straightforward decision.

Even losing half a season with Cosworth issues, Williams finished sixth in 2010 as opposed to 7th in 09. I think the main problem was that Cosworth did not have the money, or were not willing, to invest in F1. It couldn't do all the advanced electronics for the price of a budget engine.

If Cosworth couldn't do it, you have to wonder about PURE in 2013.

At the time Williams chose Cosworth weren't Red Bull desperately trying to get out of their Renault deal? Trying to get Merc engines?

#773 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 16:51

At the time Williams chose Cosworth weren't Red Bull desperately trying to get out of their Renault deal? Trying to get Merc engines?

Yes I think so.

I cannot confirm the advantage of taking PURE instead of Merc, Ferrari or Renault. With obvious reasons to attain works deal, taking Honda or Toyota could be another possibility. But that seems to me a bit far fetched. Toyota moved on to Le Man win, and Honda is focused on US market. PURE is a kind of Cossy or Mechacrome that neede funding from team, I assume. It must have been the tool to set the reg in place by FIA. I at a moment not sure if the unit will be more powerful and drivable than three other engines on the grid.

Cossy was an interesting choice, but looking back is easier than taking a chance.

#774 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,642 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:32

I could be wrong but didn't Williams acquire their battery KERS technology from Toyota?

Edited by Petroltorque, 28 January 2012 - 09:02.

#775 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 19:05

If you're a subscriber there's a great article on Pastor on the home page:

http://plus.autospor...y-breakthrough/

#776 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 760 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:53

He was out of Brawn and no other offers on the table. I think "extended" is correct.

No, but for two significant reasons:
1) Button is WDC
2) Button is younger

Barrichello was McLaren's second choice for 2010 after Raikkonen. Button was third. Barrichello had to reject them because he'd already signed for Williams.

#777 george1981

george1981

• 722 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:52

Mark Hughes: "One of the reasons the FW33’s tiny gearbox did not bring the hoped-for aerodynamic advantage was that the engine cover formed too much of a blockage. The homologated position of the Cosworth’s inlet trumpets made for a more aerodynamically obstructive cover. The Renault’s layout allows the cover to be tailored much more favourably. The FW34 will retain the tiny gearbox and it just might be that all that potential airflow advantage is finally released."

Shouldn't that have been obvious to the Williams team from the very early CFD modelling of the car? Why put all the effort into the low gearbox if it's going to be compromised by the airflow being blocked around the engine cover.

#778 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 13:41

Barrichello was McLaren's second choice for 2010 after Raikkonen. Button was third. Barrichello had to reject them because he'd already signed for Williams.

True, he said he was approached, but also said he preferred the Williams deal, regardless of already signing. That could be a case of just saying something to please the new bosses or that the deal wasn't a realistic one. I don't think JB was 3rd choice, more a case of not even being considered as no one expected Brawn\Merc to screw around with resigning the current WDC. Mac jumped in as soon as they knew it wasn't a foregone conclusion.

I still think Brawn was stupid for not having resigned the pair of them before the season had ended, but considering how the team has performed since it was a lucky escape for JB.

#779 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,642 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 14:32

Shouldn't that have been obvious to the Williams team from the very early CFD modelling of the car? Why put all the effort into the low gearbox if it's going to be compromised by the airflow being blocked around the engine cover.

You're quite right, Williams design team should have picked up that fault on initial design of the car. I think Mark Gillan has said it was the position of the exhaust manifold that was causing the block. If you think about it Red Bulls gearbox was a tall and narrow so how critical is the blockage cause by the engine trumpets. The upsum was the whole FW33 concept was flawed there's no point putting the blame for that on the engine.

Advertisement

#780 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,337 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 20:20

True, he said he was approached, but also said he preferred the Williams deal, regardless of already signing. That could be a case of just saying something to please the new bosses or that the deal wasn't a realistic one. I don't think JB was 3rd choice, more a case of not even being considered as no one expected Brawn\Merc to screw around with resigning the current WDC. Mac jumped in as soon as they knew it wasn't a foregone conclusion.

I still think Brawn was stupid for not having resigned the pair of them before the season had ended, but considering how the team has performed since it was a lucky escape for JB.

Barichello also probably wanted to avoid joining a top team with an entrenched driver, as he has had bar experiences in that sort of situation before.

#781 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:55

Barichello also probably wanted to avoid joining a top team with an entrenched driver, as he has had bar experiences in that sort of situation before.

I'm glad JB has more backbone.

#782 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 760 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:00

Barrichello had already signed for Williams when McLaren had contacted so he had to honour the contract he had already signed.

Something Mr Button isn't famous for...

#783 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:34

Barrichello had already signed for Williams when McLaren had contacted so he had to honour the contract he had already signed.

Something Mr Button isn't famous for...

That was not the case. Rubens preferred Williams deal in any way. Read the couple of posts above.

#784 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:01

7 days to go before winter testing starts, and still nothing from Williams about a launch or presentation of the new car. Have heard that 6th of Feb in Doha, but that has gone very quiet, well really Williams have gone very quiet, and no update yet of website to reflect new Senna sponsors, are they trying to create hype and expectation, are they still working on finalising deals with QNB or are they just going to open the doors on 1st day of testing and that will be it.

All very strange but I like it. big step forward this year.

#785 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:38

That was not the case. Rubens preferred Williams deal in any way. Read the couple of posts above.

That's if you believe that line. If he truly would have opted for a mid-field seat in preference to a top seat then it's no surprise he is now out.

#786 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:39

7 days to go before winter testing starts, and still nothing from Williams about a launch or presentation of the new car. Have heard that 6th of Feb in Doha, but that has gone very quiet, well really Williams have gone very quiet, and no update yet of website to reflect new Senna sponsors, are they trying to create hype and expectation, are they still working on finalising deals with QNB or are they just going to open the doors on 1st day of testing and that will be it.

All very strange but I like it. big step forward this year.

As you say it is very quiet on the Williams front. They haven't even indicated when the car will be launched yet have they? I assume it will be at the first test?

#787 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:41

Yeah I reckon they'll just roll it out in front of the garage at the first test like they have done the past couple of years.

#788 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:18

But if it was so low key why would they not update the website to reflect new sponsors, just get over and done with. After last year I can see why they would opt for a small low key arrival, but something seems a little strange than previous years

#789 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,875 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:55

But if it was so low key why would they not update the website to reflect new sponsors, just get over and done with. After last year I can see why they would opt for a small low key arrival, but something seems a little strange than previous years

I think sponsors may be signed for 2012 season, possibly with testing - so why update website before effective start of contracts?

#790 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 14:14

Yeah I reckon they'll just roll it out in front of the garage at the first test like they have done the past couple of years.

http://www.f1network...07/st174430.htm

See here. Track debut of the FW34 will take place during an aerodynamic test before the opening test at Jerez on the 7th February.

#791 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 15:11

http://www.f1network...07/st174430.htm

See here. Track debut of the FW34 will take place during an aerodynamic test before the opening test at Jerez on the 7th February.

Sounds good, don't suppose they will have the livery sorted out yet so it will probably be in the dark blue testing livery of the last couple of years

#792 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 16:07

The Williams F1 Team will present its 2012 Williams-Renault FW34 next Tuesday (7 February) in Jerez

No new Qatari sponsors then?

#793 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 16:19

No money from Qatar then. With the loss of at&t and price money lost in 2011 and only Bruno Senna sponsors to add ($12.5m), the team will have less money this year. :well:

#794 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,677 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 16:24

No new Qatari sponsors then?

Not necessarily, they can always do a final livery launch, as Willians have been doing lately, and later announce it's new sponsors.
However, I'm very skeptical (already for a while) about a major Qatari deal, I think that if we see something it may be small stickers.

Edited by highdownforce, 31 January 2012 - 16:25.

#795 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 19:01

No money from Qatar then. With the loss of at&t and price money lost in 2011 and only Bruno Senna sponsors to add ($12.5m), the team will have less money this year. :well:

Haven't they increased the sponsorship from PDVSA for this year?

They probably do have a bit less than last year though

#796 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:26

Interesting video of Michael Johnson visiting the Williams team and them practising pitstops.

http://www.williamsf1.com/

Hopefully it will have the desired effect as they weren't the best last season

#797 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:39

That was a masterpiece of understatement Leaf... :rotfl:

#798 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:14

Haven't they increased the sponsorship from PDVSA for this year?

They probably do have a bit less than last year though

Pastor is the number one drive this year!

The president can wait!

#799 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:51

OK so McLaren have gone with a relatively low nose and a snow plough. I wonder if we will see Williams go in the same direction, like they did with the FW31?

Advertisement

#800 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:53

Today they are doing shakedown at Idiada in Spain.