Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#951 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:15

It would be nice to have an explanation from the team on why ORIS and Thomson Reuters aren't on the car anymore. Not going to happen thought.

Advertisement

#952 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:19

You need pictures from the same angle to compare, sidepods shape and inlets are the same of last year.

I checked the pics from similar angles, there isn't a good enough one I could find that could be posted to show the sidepod all the way back other than side on.

From what I could see the new pod disappears a little earlier on the car than the old one. It follows the same basic shape, but not the same size.

#953 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:20

It would be nice to have an explanation from the team on why ORIS and Thomson Reuters aren't on the car anymore. Not going to happen thought.

Well the Official website is "experiencing difficulties"

But Oris had a full page advert in motorsport magazine in the middle of all the Williams articles, displaying "Williams F1 partner"

Could be that they have downgraded their sponsorship though

#954 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:21

I checked the pics from similar angles, there isn't a good enough one I could find that could be posted to show the sidepod all the way back other than side on.

From what I could see the new pod disappears a little earlier on the car than the old one. It follows the same basic shape, but not the same size.

The rear bodywork can not only change ahead of the first race, but it also can change from hot to cold races, i wouldn't put much stock in it.

#955 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:23

Is that race livery? if so, they really need some new design artists

#956 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,023 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:24

"head & shoulders" is at wrong place

#957 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:27

A neat and tidy solution from Coughlan. I note that the aero designers have taken a more elegant solution to minimise the front step.

Are we looking at different cars? How is that an elegant solution? It's just a step.

Posted Image

#958 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 790 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:27

Well the Official website is "experiencing difficulties"

But Oris had a full page advert in motorsport magazine in the middle of all the Williams articles, displaying "Williams F1 partner"

Could be that they have downgraded their sponsorship though

Tidy design and neat packaging; hope it goes as well as it looks.

As for Oris; the Williams live timing site has the Oris branding so they are still associated tho' perhaps at a lower level of commitment.

#959 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:30

This will be a quick car, they along with Force India will head the midfield.

Advertisement

#960 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:32

Tidy design and neat packaging; hope it goes as well as it looks.

As for Oris; the Williams live timing site has the Oris branding so they are still associated tho' perhaps at a lower level of commitment.

:up:

I thought that Bruno got 15 mil to Williams, now who are they?

#961 DMatt001

DMatt001

• 121 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:34

Nope! Site is not updated, there no sponsors of Senna, so maybe Oris and Reuters are sponsors of the past.... :rolleyes:

Edited by DMatt001, 07 February 2012 - 09:36.

#962 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:38

Now that's what i call anorexic car.

#963 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:43

think there is more to this story than what they are saying, Williams marketing seems to be very quiet, no Frank, Adam Parr at launch that I have seem, just engineers looking very happy with there new toy.

You would think a launch of a new car that is this important everyone would be there talking it up. Sponsors seem only to be really the drivers sponsors, non of the old ones, hamlays, reuters, Oris.

Only sponsors are the ones that they have dripped feed us, increased sponorship of randstad, pastors sponsor and only Senna's proctor and gamble, no OSX sponsorship to be seen. No website update either, you would think this update would happen at the sametime of car launch.

Only a thought

#964 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:47

oh yeah and no issues with the website, well not in australia anyway,

#965 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,422 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:50

Long ago I was told that rounded front works better when travelling air. The most referred to water drop shape. But you know I was wondering al the time, water drops falls towards gravity, for which most mass of water try to find its place as lowest position as possible, hence rounded front. When a car propelled to move forward, mass of this traveling object does not necessarily be placed at the front end as there is no gravity forcing it to be... So Yes, to ct long BS short, I am optimistic!

A water drop is shaped by aerodynamic forces too. It's actually quite complicated. If you want a stable vehicle the centre of mass needs to be ahead of the aerodynamic centre. Think about darts and arrows. The fins/feathers are at the back.

#966 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 790 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:52

Nope! Site is not updated, there no sponsors of Senna, so maybe Oris and Reuters are sponsors of the past.... :rolleyes:

If Oris were no longer associated with the team then the Oris brand management would ensure Williams removed all Oris content from their sites.

As I said, I suspect they are still associated but at a lower level of commitment.

#967 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,505 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:55

A water drop is shaped by aerodynamic forces too. It's actually quite complicated. If you want a stable vehicle the centre of mass needs to be ahead of the aerodynamic centre. Think about darts and arrows. The fins/feathers are at the back.

Mechanical balance needs to equal aero balance otherwise the cars handling will alter during the transition from high speed to low.

#968 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,422 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:55

Well apart from a particularly crude looking nose step (but hey if it's good enough for Ferrari it's good enough for Williams) this car looks quite nice and refined. I just hope it's a step forward on the grid from last year. If this is the final livery it looks smart too, very Williams.

In light of the nose shape - Go Team Bill! ;)

#969 DMatt001

DMatt001

• 121 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:58

Williams site:

Powering the team’s efforts in this year’s championship will be a broad partner group. Existing partners, including Petróleos de Venezuela S.A. (PDVSA), Venezuelan Tourism, Randstad, Thomson Reuters, Ridge Solutions, Hatch and McGregor will be joined by new additions confirmed today. Gillette, Embratel, Head & Shoulders, OGX and MRV, together with Michael Johnson Performance announced in January, will all be supporting the team as it works towards a competitive season of Formula One motor racing.

Without Maldonado and Senna Williams would have only 6 sponsors: Randstad, Thomson Reuters, Ridge Solutions, Hatch and McGregor Michael Johnson Performance.
I think we all can understand why Williams have 2 paydrivers....

Edited by DMatt001, 07 February 2012 - 10:01.

#970 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,422 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:59

Mechanical balance needs to equal aero balance otherwise the cars handling will alter during the transition from high speed to low.

Yes but the centre of mass must be ahead of the centre of lift (downforce) for stability. Move the centre of lift forward -> oversteer (unstable). Move the centre of lift aft -> understeer (stable). The balance is the amount of stability that the driver is comfortable with.

#971 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:04

Williams site:

Powering the team’s efforts in this year’s championship will be a broad partner group. Existing partners, including Petróleos de Venezuela S.A. (PDVSA), Venezuelan Tourism, Randstad, Thomson Reuters, Ridge Solutions, Hatch and McGregor will be joined by new additions confirmed today. Gillette, Embratel, Head & Shoulders, OGX and MRV, together with Michael Johnson Performance announced in January, will all be supporting the team as it works towards a competitive season of Formula One motor racing.

Without Maldonado and Senna Williams would have only 6 sponsors: Randstad, Thomson Reuters, Ridge Solutions, Hatch and McGregor Michael Johnson Performance.

So no mention of Oris then

#972 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:05

ORIS have left the team, they don't appear anymore on the partners page, sad.

#973 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:15

ORIS have left the team, they don't appear anymore on the partners page, sad.

Shame, but after the season Williams had last year I am not surprised.

Pastor has only done an installation lap so far this morning

#974 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:17

that car looks fast. imo, if we ignore nose bumps I think it looks better than any of this years cars, except for mclaren maybe. neat and tidy, and that rear is TIGHT!

hope that Williams climb ahead of midfield this year... scratch that, I hope this is a winning car!

#975 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:22

Posted Image

Pastor on the track.

Posted Image

Pic of driveshaft.

#976 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:22

what about Qatar National Bank?

#977 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:24

Williams site:

I can't see Thomson Reuters on the car.

#978 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:25

it does look like aero wise the most innovative car out there... look at the vertical panes on the floor before the rear wheels...

just a shame that they have two mediocre drivers.. right now i am already afraid that pastor will end up in the gravel trap

#979 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:29

Pastor was very close to Rubens in his rookie year.

Bruno put the Renault 4 times in Q3, if the car is good enough he will deliver :up:

Advertisement

#980 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:31

still only 1 install lap so far, macca the same with caterham

#981 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:33

They should move the "Ridge" sticker to be on the ridge/bump of the nose just for comedy value

#982 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,422 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:35

They should move the "Ridge" sticker to be on the ridge/bump of the nose just for comedy value

Seriously I think the teams with the stepped nose should put their car numbers on the step as it would make them much easier to see from the front. I'm glad the Williams has big numbers on the sides.

#983 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:37

Lol. Good idea!

#984 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:38

Seriously I think the teams with the stepped nose should put their car numbers on the step as it would make them much easier to see from the front. I'm glad the Williams has big numbers on the sides.

I would be more glad if Williams had an sponsor there.

#985 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:39

Pastor now out on first run,

http://f1tests.co.cc/2012.php

check it out for all laptimes live

#986 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:40

Love their testing livery and the numbers on the sidepods.

#987 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,422 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:41

I would be more glad if Williams had an sponsor there.

Even the most heavily sponsored cars have big blank spaces where numbers could go, yet they still tend to put tiny numbers on. I've never understood it.

#988 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:44

Posted Image

Detailed rear end pic.

Posted Image

Nose with some wiring(???)

Posted Image

Side view.

#989 PRCandME

PRCandME

• 47 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:47

Love their testing livery and the numbers on the sidepods.

Is this just a testing livery? Seems, as opposed to past years, that this is the livery for the season. Any confirmation on this?

#990 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,422 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:51

Posted Image

Just noticed the strange front wing mounting. It looks like it's not actually connected to the pillars. The wiring is probably for some sensor on the front wing for the test.

#991 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,505 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:12

seems to be the fashion recently, I wonder if it allows the wing to rotate back slightly on the straight, to flatten out and reduce drag?

#992 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:56

Posted Image

#993 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:02

Close up nose picks should come with a warning sign...

#994 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:20

That nose hump is a great space for a sponsor to be on.

#995 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,389 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:29

They have a double-positive in relation to their low profile rear this year - firstly the Renault engine is slimmer and lets more air flow through that region, and secondly the exhaust regulations mean that thee is a reduced need to send gas to the outside of the floor, so they can tuck the pipes in close and blow even more air over the sides of the back of the engine cover and over the beam wing.

Provided there is not a repeat of 2011 with a new must-have exhaust position then the benefits of this design should be (how I hate to use the phrase) unlocked.

#996 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,505 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:55

That nose hump is a great space for a sponsor to be on.

Was just about to post the same thing!

along with the front and rear wings it's the only readable space from head on.

#997 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,765 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 13:38

Posted Image

That is a right mess.

#998 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,389 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 13:45

That is a right mess.

Not really - big beam wing with exhaust blowing towards it. Very smooth gearbox casing.

Take off the heat sensor stickers and it'll look a lot better.

#999 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 13:56

Like most 2012 cars, the FW34 appears to run with very little rake.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#1000 The Jim Clark Five

The Jim Clark Five

• 74 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 13:56

Have to say I'm a little disappointed and concerned in the lack of non-driver related sponsors on the car. The 2011 performance combined with the overall economic climate must make it a very difficult sponsor market out there. Let's hope that Senna's sponsors are bringing several suitcases full of cash

Edited by The Jim Clark Five, 07 February 2012 - 13:59.