Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:50

1st Force India, now Force Venezuela? :drunk:

Advertisement

#1202 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:34

1st Force India, now Force Venezuela? :drunk:

Maldonado Force Venezuela Williams Renault.

Just trips off the tongue...

#1203 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:10

The best time of the weekend was set on a longer stint, he did around 20 laps after it

No, he did 10 laps after that best time.

#1204 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:10

No, he did 10 laps after that best time.

Actually, he did 11 laps afterwards, but he did 2 before he set the time, so the sting had 14 laps total.
What is maybe more important, the stint was done as a part of race simulation.

The times are here:
http://f1tests.co.cc/2012.php?rev=on

#1205 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 13:54

Actually, he did 11 laps afterwards, but he did 2 before he set the time, so the sting had 14 laps total.
What is maybe more important, the stint was done as a part of race simulation.

I don't know how much of a handicap could be that the best lap was set during the race sim. Surely he didn't use the DRS during that lap, that already means 6-7 tenths.

#1206 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 14:22

I don't know how much of a handicap could be that the best lap was set during the race sim. Surely he didn't use the DRS during that lap, that already means 6-7 tenths.

Difficult to know exactly what they were doing, but with the team not chasing times at the moment I would guess it was without DRS

They will have to test it at some point to make sure it all works obviously.

Barcelona should give us a better idea of the pecking order.

#1207 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 17:32

Difficult to know exactly what they were doing, but with the team not chasing times at the moment I would guess it was without DRS

They will have to test it at some point to make sure it all works obviously.

Barcelona should give us a better idea of the pecking order.

Another article at http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97548, just praising the renault engine, Senna consistency and feedback habilities.

Hope the FW34 will be a real improvement over FW33.

Edited by GustavoB, 16 February 2012 - 17:32.

#1208 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 17:38

Mastah, this is for you: :rotfl:
"Obviously he is learning the car. His feedback is excellent, very precise. It is good to get a new perspective on things and very, very useful - so the debrief went on twice as long as it normally does and it was very, very good at all."
Gillan talking about Bruno.

#1209 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,671 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 17:51

Lol, I was going to write the same, Francesc. :rotfl:

While there are many question marks about Bruno's performance on circuits, I've read only good things about his feedback.

I'm sure Pastor and Bruno pairing won't be as useless as some people tried to tell us. The only thing they're lacking is more consistency. But this can come with more mileage for both. Pastor has shown that he can be on pace with Barrichello for most of the season (with more impressive flashes), and Senna has good feedback and has shown some signs of good speed too.

Considering that Senna never had a winter testing session for him and that the only winter testing session which Pastor had, was spoiled by poor reliability of the car, they might improve significantly just after this winter.

#1210 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:38

I am quietly optimistic that Bruno will surprise a few people.

Obviously for both drivers to impress the car will need to be much better than last year

#1211 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:45

I like that they've said they can now explore areas of the car that they couldn't last year because of the car. Should mean that they can develop the car in more ways than the restricted paths they could follow last year.

#1212 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:45

Mastah, this is for you: :rotfl:
"Obviously he is learning the car. His feedback is excellent, very precise. It is good to get a new perspective on things and very, very useful - so the debrief went on twice as long as it normally does and it was very, very good at all."
Gillan talking about Bruno.

He doesn't believe anyone called Senna drives for Williams GPE anyway...

#1213 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:50

He doesn't believe anyone called Senna drives for Williams GPE anyway...

More like every driver in the midfield sucks except for Perez, which is God's gift to Formula 1. :drunk:

#1214 ColchesterF1

ColchesterF1

• 209 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:58

Does anyone know if these 15 scheduled practice sessions Bottas will drive in are all in the place of Senna?

#1215 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,993 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:59

I hope they focus solely on testing work and don't mess around with glory runs. seeing the car do hundreds of laps over three days and already what appears to be a race simulation completed up to the point of running the tank dry is far more impressive than topping the times.
using the limited testing time to actually test and have a wealth of information for comparison to the concepts from the factory will help them immensely.
the designers will be able to see hwat the correlation is to the wind tunnel data.
they need to be ready early in the season to capitalize on unreliable cars to get some points to kick off their season with momentum. it will be very tough to score if redbull, mclaren, ferrari, and mercedes or renault can lock out the top eight.

#1216 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 19:01

Engineer praising driver, who brings a lot of money, nothing new under the sun :D.

Meanwhile at Catalunya Pastor will drive for 2 days, while Valtteri and Bruno gets one day each. I guess that's part of learning process for Bruno, as he will be the one sharing his car with rookie 15 times this year :D.

#1217 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 284 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 19:20

Does anyone know if these 15 scheduled practice sessions Bottas will drive in are all in the place of Senna?

Yes. Also, Bruno will do only one day in Barcelona on the next test, as Bottas will do the other. Maldonado will get 2 days.

#1218 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 19:38

Engineer praising driver, who brings a lot of money, nothing new under the sun :D.

Meanwhile at Catalunya Pastor will drive for 2 days, while Valtteri and Bruno gets one day each. I guess that's part of learning process for Bruno, as he will be the one sharing his car with rookie 15 times this year :D.

Yeah Perez got similar praise last year if I recall.

Will be interesting to see what the attitude in the team is if Bruno starts out-performing Pastor. But with the money Pastor brings I assume they can't really give his car to Bottas.

#1219 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 19:48

Yeah Perez got similar praise last year if I recall.

Will be interesting to see what the attitude in the team is if Bruno starts out-performing Pastor. But with the money Pastor brings I assume they can't really give his car to Bottas.

Or what would do the team if Bruno is leading the championship after a few races, that would be funny. :p :smoking:

Advertisement

#1220 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 19:58

Or what would do the team if Bruno is leading the championship after a few races, that would be funny. :p :smoking:

They would probably have to stop drinking/smoking whatever crazy substancies they had just discovered!! :smoking: :smoking: :smoking: :smoking:

#1221 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,671 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 20:11

But there are thousands of available ways of praising the driver. I don't think Gillan would say that Bruno's feedback is good if he wouldn't think so. If he wanted to praise him, he could say that Bruno is quick, is learning quickly, motivates the team, works hard in the factory etc.

For sure he wouldn't say that Bruno's feedback isn't good. But then could praise him for something other rather than saying something completely untrue about this.

#1222 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,695 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 21:05

But there are thousands of available ways of praising the driver. I don't think Gillan would say that Bruno's feedback is good if he wouldn't think so. If he wanted to praise him, he could say that Bruno is quick, is learning quickly, motivates the team, works hard in the factory etc.

For sure he wouldn't say that Bruno's feedback isn't good. But then could praise him for something other rather than saying something completely untrue about this.

If he is really that good it begs the question as to why his previous teams dumped him.

#1223 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 21:43

Gillan complimented Bruno on his feedback, he didn't say anything else about his driving skills.
I'm sure De la Rosa and Wurz give a very precise analysis, that doesn't mean they are the drivers you want.

Still, Bruno is here for this season and i hope for a positive surprise.

#1224 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:24

So Bottas will get his first taste of the FW34 on Wednesday, will be interesting to see how he goes. And to see how the car goes at Barcelona

Hopefully he won't bin it.

#1225 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:37

So Bottas will get his first taste of the FW34 on Wednesday, will be interesting to see how he goes. And to see how the car goes at Barcelona

Hopefully he won't bin it.

He won't bin it. In the two days of testing he had at Yas Marina he didn't make a single mistake despite of driving a car that wasn't nicely balanced as it was running with quickly made 2012 exhausts.

Edited by Francesc, 20 February 2012 - 09:39.

#1226 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,448 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:38

Barcelona isn't as much of a car park as Yas Marina though, but I tend to agree regardless.

Edited by Disgrace, 20 February 2012 - 09:39.

#1227 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:44

He won't bin it. In the two days of testing he had at Yas Marina he didn't make a single mistake despite of driving a car that wasn't nicely balanced as it was running with quickly made 2012 exhausts.

Good point, I had forgotten that he had driven there.

I suppose it will be too early to bring any aerodynamic updates. I presume at some point they will have updated sidepods rather than using the 2011 ones...

#1228 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 19:31

Alex Wurz Returns to Williams F1 as a driver mentor
http://www.williamsf.../news/view/2052

Excellent move.

#1229 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 19:32

Alex Wurz to act as driver mentor for Williams starting at this weeks' test

http://www.williamsf.../news/view/2052

Francesc how much did you beat me by?????!!!!!!

Edited by Little Leaf, 20 February 2012 - 19:33.

#1230 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 19:34

Mastah = The Ultimate Truth ™.

But I have to say I didn't expect they will miss Rubens that soon. This move says everything about their driver line-up.

Edited by Mastah, 20 February 2012 - 19:42.

#1231 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 19:47

Mastah = The Ultimate Truth ™.

But I have to say I didn't expect they will miss Rubens that soon. This move says everything about their driver line-up.

If we had Checky Mendoza maybe we wouldn't need to hire Wurz, too bad we don't have him. :well:

#1232 bogi

bogi

• 3,163 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 20:09

Senna&Maldonado

Posted Image

#1233 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 20:17

This move says everything about their driver line-up.

Yes, that team is pretty aware that they do lack overall experience in Formula 1 and that they want them to perform as best as they can right from the start. You don't need Adrian Newey to figure that one out.

But yeah, I'm aware you were implying something else, as usual. :rolleyes:

#1234 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 21:21

This is confirmation of how much Williams miss Rubens' technical knowledge and experience. I always was saying having 2 newbies and 1 rookie in year of such drastic changes, new car with new engine and new exhausts designed by new people, won't end well.

I was dead right.

I can only imagine how disappointed Williams team is with lack of any leadership from drivers to make such desperate move. Driver coaching, c'mon! I would understood if Valtteri hired Alex, at this stage of career it would be very helpful. But driver coach for 27 and 29 years old F1 drivers :lol:? F1 is kindergarten now? It's very likely Williams have adult drivers, who are acting like kids looking at how both of them are more interested in living the life than being professional driver (just one example - Pastor and his "racing" with Lewis on the outlap at Spa, there is not enough facepalms in the world to show how moronic and completely immature that was).

Alexander Wurz, Official Nanny for The Drivers of Williams F1 Team.

#1235 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,342 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 21:52

I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was December already.

Edited by Pilla, 20 February 2012 - 21:52.

#1236 xtremespeedjunkie

xtremespeedjunkie

• 293 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 22:09

Torro Rosso and Williams would never get to know their car's true pace with the drivers they have this season. There is no reliable benchmark at either team. Kubica was on an average second a lap faster than Petrov in race conditions and that is the difference a top experienced driver makes especially in race conditions.

#1237 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 22:18

I think Toto Wolff may have played a part in this, and Mastah your living in cloud 9 if you think every driver doesn't have someone coaching/helping them so they can learn and improve all the time, try reading the book "Overdrive: Formula 1 in the Zone" Very good read too.

#1238 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 22:31

This is confirmation of how much Williams miss Rubens' technical knowledge and experience. I always was saying having 2 newbies and 1 rookie in year of such drastic changes, new car with new engine and new exhausts designed by new people, won't end well.

I was dead right.

I can only imagine how disappointed Williams team is with lack of any leadership from drivers to make such desperate move. Driver coaching, c'mon! I would understood if Valtteri hired Alex, at this stage of career it would be very helpful. But driver coach for 27 and 29 years old F1 drivers :lol:? F1 is kindergarten now? It's very likely Williams have adult drivers, who are acting like kids looking at how both of them are more interested in living the life than being professional driver (just one example - Pastor and his "racing" with Lewis on the outlap at Spa, there is not enough facepalms in the world to show how moronic and completely immature that was).

Lol, but agreed. Nice vote of confidence for Senna snd Maldonado.

#1239 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,073 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 23:01

Looking forward to Pastor and Bruno making people eat their words this season.

Advertisement

#1240 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 23:02

It's a nice move by the team, can only help.

They did the same with Montoya and Berger if i'm not mistaken.

#1241 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:51

I was dead right.

Only thing your dead right about is the fact you have an opinion, nothing more, suppose we can use the same theory on why they brought in Michael Johnson in to look at there pit stops, Williams is already very capable at performing pitstops, they have been doing it for the past 20 odd years, the practice it day and night, 1000 of times a year, they analyse, critique and constantly improve, but with all that they can still only managed 7th last year (tabl;e below),

1. Mercedes GP Fastest
2. Red Bull Racing 0.004 seconds behind
3. Mclaren 0.22s
4. Force India 0.36s
5. Ferrari 0.42s
6. Renault 0.87s
7. Williams 1.07s
8. Team Lotus 1.15s
9. Sauber 1.21s
10. Scuderia Toro Rosso 1.39s
11. Virgin Racing 1.66s
12. HRT 3.06S

So based on your your philosophy, Williams should not seek help, should not try to improve, should not push to become more competitive. F1 as you should know is about 100th of a second, it's about pushing and developing and constantly improving on all areas of the business, and if Wurz can give any assistance then why should it not be welcomed, they are a yng driver line up, and having someone like Wurz then why not.

I think for most people it would show one thing, and that is that Williams is serious about turning around there fortunes, and are trying everything to bring out the best in themselves and there drivers.

#1242 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:58

Only thing your dead right about is the fact you have an opinion, nothing more, suppose we can use the same theory on why they brought in Michael Johnson in to look at there pit stops, Williams is already very capable at performing pitstops, they have been doing it for the past 20 odd years, the practice it day and night, 1000 of times a year, they analyse, critique and constantly improve, but with all that they can still only managed 7th last year (tabl;e below),

1. Mercedes GP Fastest
2. Red Bull Racing 0.004 seconds behind
3. Mclaren 0.22s
4. Force India 0.36s
5. Ferrari 0.42s
6. Renault 0.87s
7. Williams 1.07s
8. Team Lotus 1.15s
9. Sauber 1.21s
10. Scuderia Toro Rosso 1.39s
11. Virgin Racing 1.66s
12. HRT 3.06S

So based on your your philosophy, Williams should not seek help, should not try to improve, should not push to become more competitive. F1 as you should know is about 100th of a second, it's about pushing and developing and constantly improving on all areas of the business, and if Wurz can give any assistance then why should it not be welcomed, they are a yng driver line up, and having someone like Wurz then why not.

I think for most people it would show one thing, and that is that Williams is serious about turning around there fortunes, and are trying everything to bring out the best in themselves and there drivers.

+1

Why would you not use the help available to you? Cutting your nose to spite your face much?

#1243 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:43

I got my night over About this news on Wurz and now feel that this is an obvious and logical move. Any sporting organization has coaching and say only formula one was where a dedicated group of professionals was present at lesser rate. IMHO it could also be a bigger team of coaching who could professionally discuss driving strategy/-ies. I recall a top driver said to performed at his least best due presence of his coach. Drivers need brain storming and strategy building to perform better in extreme situation. Obviously the higher the levels of knowledge available to race drivers are the better. Wurz knows not only about formula one racing but also about Williams. But I think most importantly he knows how to perform in divers extreme ties and have impressive will and mind to better his results still. Guess he is one of the best. DC could as he can explain too well but he is more or less hooked to Fed Bull. Damon can to sure but if those who with credit wants to wishes to get involved in is a completely another matter. For example If Michael settles his peace without him racing on track and would want to be a mentor that will be a magnum. I bet he never will want to coach a younger generations.

I forgot to mention that two current Williams race drivers seems to me a person who are capable of discussing his racing openly with team next/behind them. Obviously some sporters are absolutely not capable of and will make no change simply because they perform on their instinct rather than on their intelligence. Hope they improves. Guessing that Williams will be a popular destination who aims to improve himself at a higher rate than other conditions. Industry can be behind ti support their works. Hope this happens as well. If it works then a great innovation.

Edited by One, 21 February 2012 - 07:05.

#1244 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:46

I got my night over this news about Wurz and now feel that this is obviously an obvious and logical move. Any sporting organization has coaching any say only formula one was where dedicated group of professionals was present at lesser rate. IMHO it could also be a bigger team of coaching.

Well Bruno uses Rob Wilson, a famous driving coach who has also worked with Kimi and many others, Pastor included I think, so having Wurz perform a similar role in-house, where he give more direct advice relevant to F1-specific issues, is just adding strings to your bow IMO.

Good move by Williams.

#1245 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:00

Well Bruno uses Rob Wilson, a famous driving coach who has also worked with Kimi and many others, Pastor included I think, so having Wurz perform a similar role in-house, where he give more direct advice relevant to F1-specific issues, is just adding strings to your bow IMO.

Good move by Williams.

And a good move not just as a mentor, but also for simulator work, Wurz I compare to with Pedro, a great tester and has a great understanding of F1 cars, may not be the fastest driver in the world, but probably develop the best base line car on the grid.

All good signs for Williams this year, seem to be heading in the right direction and now testing has started lets see what Bruno can do today

#1246 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:08

And a good move not just as a mentor, but also for simulator work, Wurz I compare to with Pedro, a great tester and has a great understanding of F1 cars, may not be the fastest driver in the world, but probably develop the best base line car on the grid.

All good signs for Williams this year, seem to be heading in the right direction and now testing has started lets see what Bruno can do today

A very very good point

#1247 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:37

From Autosport live commentary:

08:31 Senna - no doubt reassured by wisdom from Wurz - heads back out.

Williams pairing ater hiring Wurz to mentor them = laughing stock in F1 paddock.

#1248 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:56

Williams pairing ater hiring Wurz to mentor them = laughing stock in F1 paddock.

Is that why nobody is out on the track at the moment, they are all rolling around the pit lane

:D

#1249 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,480 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:07

I think we know who the laughing stock is, and it ain't Williams.

#1250 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:14

Must be good feeling you know so much! but yet your opinion differs so much to everyone else, maybe you should learn about Alex Wurz company he runs, to get an idea, you seem so negative about Senna and Williams, really not sure why?