Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#1351 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,065 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:21

Glad I've not panicked about the times. *smugface*

Exactly, been saying the same the whole time. Methodical approach to testing.

Advertisement

#1352 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,352 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:23

I want to see a race sim from Maldonado, with that we will get a better picture of how fast the car is really.

#1353 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:24

Exactly, been saying the same the whole time. Methodical approach to testing.

+2, can't agree more, systematic,

#1354 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:25

+2, can't agree more, systematic,

Nah they are either chasing sponsors or running the car too low again :rolleyes:

#1355 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 163 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:29

Nah they are either chasing sponsors or running the car too low again :rolleyes:

It would be absolutely tragicomical if they did this...

#1356 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:38

Full of s**t, 6 days of slow pace, now unleashing the car for Maldo, come on, Ferrari and Alonso last day of Jerez, yes trying to keep people happy, look at the pictures of the Williams not much more room left for sponsors on that Williams car.

P.S - Where's FI today, showing their form early, now having reliability issues, maybe they were looking for sponsorship to save VJay and his empire, they are in a lot more financial trouble that Williams GP.

#1357 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:40

Full of s**t, 6 days of slow pace, now unleashing the car for Maldo, come on, Ferrari and Alonso last day of Jerez, yes trying to keep people happy, look at the pictures of the Williams not much more room left for sponsors on that Williams car.

P.S - Where's FI today, showing their form early, now having reliability issues, maybe they were looking for sponsorship to save VJay and his empire, they are in a lot more financial trouble that Williams GP.

I was joking...

#1358 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,065 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:41

Haha

#1359 rentonB

rentonB

• 172 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:43

Glory lap, far from great result

Advertisement

#1360 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:45

I was joking...

Sorry, Could not hear the sarcasm, glad where on the same page,

Am I been over optimistic, or are we doing as well as I think? comments please

#1361 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:46

Yes, you are being overly optimistic. They are hunting sponsors, just like Force India were doing.

Edited by TURU, 23 February 2012 - 11:46.

#1362 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:47

Whilst I was joking earlier don't forget last year and pre-season testing!

I wouldn't expect any similar sort of f**k ups this year but let's wait and see how this test finishes.

The only good thing about last year is that the only way is up!!!

#1363 tractionman

tractionman

• 169 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:48

Senna kept hinting about this to the media from day one- they have kept their powder dry.

#1364 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:48

Glory lap, far from great result

Funny how were getting quicker and most are getting slower.

List to name them
- FI
- Sauber
- Torro Rosso (that only cause they have a french driving, not an Aussie)
- Lotus

Most of the mid field seem to be having troubles today, consistency is king.

#1365 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:51

Weight is a massive factor, and we don't know whether that was fumes compared to the other runners for example.

However, it's certainly nice to see the car out of 8th!

#1366 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:52

Whilst I was joking earlier don't forget last year and pre-season testing!

I wouldn't expect any similar sort of f**k ups this year but let's wait and see how this test finishes.

The only good thing about last year is that the only way is up!!!

True, true, and I do not disagree, but this year is chalk and cheese, noone pounding their chest saying how good the car is, no real glory laps as u put it, until today, this is the first time they have shown anything, and lets not forget winter testing is over half way over.

But yet i have no doubt that this is potentially to keep PDVSA (Maldo's sponsor) happy, but the car is showing more than it has, i will be keenly waiting for the analysis from the guys on the ground tomorrow.

But no doubting the consistent pace on long stints has been good

#1367 tractionman

tractionman

• 169 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:55

The more encouraging aspect is that the car has not chewed its tires either at Jerez or at Barcelona. The slow speed stuff probably still needs fixing(based on what Senna and Bottas said) but at least the team has got a car that can maintain decent race pace.

#1368 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:59

The more encouraging aspect is that the car has not chewed its tires either at Jerez or at Barcelona. The slow speed stuff probably still needs fixing(based on what Senna and Bottas said) but at least the team has got a car that can maintain decent race pace.

Very true, but the drop off seems quiet large, hopefully just the new compounds, and most drivers are struggling on the third/fourth lap and the drop off seems to be about 200ths there after, but auto says he did that time of the soft, whichseems even more impressive

#1369 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,065 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:03

A good number of laps for the morning as well. After that hic-cup at Jerez the car has been nice and reliable.

#1370 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:05

Yes, you are being overly optimistic. They are hunting sponsors, just like Force India were doing.

*awaits proof*

#1371 vas04614

vas04614

• 329 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:10

Fast time : Glory Lap
Slow times : We are no where

God knows what is sufficient for these guys!!!!!

#1372 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:10

not sure but have we now completed the most laps out of anyone in the '12 spec car?

Clarification needed, who wants to do the research, I know me and my bottle of scotch are incapable

#1373 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:14

People are never happy aren't day? they wanted fast laps... so there you go :rotfl:

Over the last few pages lots of people criticising how the car is so slow, always last, why Williams hasn't done a low fuel run yet to see what the car can do.
They do it, and people criticize them for going low fuel.

Testing to see how the car is in Q situation is a valid test.

#1374 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,065 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:15

I would say if they were going for glory laps and sponsors they wouldn't have spent the previous 7 days testing doing high fuel runs.

#1375 vas04614

vas04614

• 329 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:16

People are never happy aren't day? they wanted fast laps... so there you go :rotfl:

Over the last few pages lots of people criticising how the car is so slow, always last, why Williams hasn't done a low fuel run yet to see what the car can do.
They do it, and people criticize them for going low fuel.

Testing to see how the car is in Q situation is a valid test.

Valid Point :up:

#1376 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:17

22.4, it's getting better and better :)

#1377 kenny

kenny

• 2,028 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:21

I would say if they were going for glory laps and sponsors they wouldn't have spent the previous 7 days testing doing high fuel runs.

:up:

#1378 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:27

Savach and Jambo, we live in a cynical world, full of cynical people, and I'm sure half these people are Ferrari fans, wondering why they can't get the consistency and the speed,

But it doesn't matter what we do or how we go about it there is ways those who want to talk us down. My question would be, why are they here and why do they contribute to a page about Williams?
My answer?
If you don't like the team then find one you do. Talk positively about the team, don't bash a team because you want to have an insignificant voice to stir up trouble, and be a s**t stirrer. Find something better to do. Be a Ferrari supporter because you had Schmi or fan of Red bull cause your winning.

I am a Williams fan, I have been for the past 20+ years and always will be, I don't love drivers, I am a Williams supporter, and I always will be

Edited by GSF1, 23 February 2012 - 12:37.

#1379 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:32

*awaits proof*

You will get plenty of proof in Melbourne.

Advertisement

#1380 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:36

This "glory lap" thing is just ridiculous, they tested heavy until today, now they are light.
And i doubt sponsors buy it these days anyhow, not even Brawn (which turn out wasn't going for "glory") leading everything worked.

Not that we can read much from these times (i said that when Williams was 2s behind the next competitor, still works when they are 1s ahead of everyone), but they did beat Sauber and Force India yesterday "glory runs".

#1381 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:38

This "glory lap" thing is just ridiculous, they tested heavy until today, now they are light.
And i doubt sponsors buy it these days anyhow, not even Brawn (which turn out wasn't going for "glory") leading everything worked.

Not that we can read much from these times (i said that when Williams was 2s behind the next competitor, still works when they are 1s ahead of everyone), but they did beat Sauber and Force India yesterday "glory runs".

True true, lets name the teams on glory runs so far?

#1382 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:41

A brilliant analysis, can I borrow your crystal ball? I want your reasoned analysis of why it cannot be true pace? I expect nothing from a troll like you.

If you want sponsors you come out of the box uber quick. You don't do 400 laps and then do it.

Edited by wewantourdarbyback, 23 February 2012 - 12:44.

#1383 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,065 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:46

Am not saying that Williams will be fastest, am discounting your statement of glory laps or searching for sponsors.

#1384 FordFan

FordFan

• 3,456 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:50

It's certainly not a bad result. At least we know the car has the time in it.

#1385 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:53

Reckon we'll see a race sim this afternoon?

#1386 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:55

Am not saying that Williams will be fastest, am discounting your statement of glory laps or searching for sponsors.

i don't think any of us are so naive to think we will be on pole and win at Melbourne, all we are happy about is the consistency and the form we are showing. If we can be and if we are the fifth best team, then that is a remarkable achievement, and something all Williams fans will be proud of

#1387 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,065 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:56

Reckon we'll see a race sim this afternoon?

I hope so, would fit in well with the shorter runs this morning.

#1388 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:58

#BOTTAS is now the top tending topic on twitter in the UK :stoned:

#1389 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,703 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 13:06

Well what do you expect. Maldonado's lap time has pricked the balloon of all the posters who have been knocking the team. I won't name them.......

#1390 Owen

Owen

• 10,509 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 13:13

Genuine pace or sponsor hunting? Can someone give a rational answer?

#1391 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 13:20

Schumacher and Kobayashi did their times of softs and Maldonado, with medium tires, was on the same time as Mercedes.

Looks good today :up:

#1392 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,703 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 13:21

I think all teams are on the lookout for sponsorship, but you would hope that CEOs of sponsor companies would base their deals on overall performance rather than testing. So that means waiting till the season starts.

#1393 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 13:48

Genuine pace or sponsor hunting? Can someone give a rational answer?

Many people above if you look.

If you want sponsors why pootle around for 6 days on long runs rather than straight out of the box fast?

#1394 Tract1on

Tract1on

• 330 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 15:25

Cool to see Williams at the top of the timesheets, looks like there is some good speed when they go low fuel and super soft. How is there long run performance looking in comparison to other teams around them, ive not compared the data, im sure some of you guys have though..

Many people above if you look.

If you want sponsors why pootle around for 6 days on long runs rather than straight out of the box fast?

#1395 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,352 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 15:35

Cool to see Williams at the top of the timesheets, looks like there is some good speed when they go low fuel and super soft. How is there long run performance looking in comparison to other teams around them, ive not compared the data, im sure some of you guys have though..

On full tanks 1.5 slower than the Red Bull and a full second off the Mercedes.

#1396 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 15:53

On full tanks 1.5 slower than the Red Bull and a full second off the Mercedes.

Has Williams done a race sim today like RB and Mercedes?

#1397 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,352 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 15:57

Has Williams done a race sim today like RB and Mercedes?

No, but if those runs that Maldonado has done on low 31s aren't on full tanks I would be very surprised.

#1398 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,900 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 16:15

put in more than 100 laps. that's all that matters to me.
times are completely irrelevant.
I guess they have done enough long runs in jerez and the first two days here.
hopefully they will get back to race sims and not glory laps.
we know they aren't the fastest car.
the racing in the midfield is far closer than the race for the win, so it is very important for williams to focus on how to get the most out of their race performance to steal points when they can.

#1399 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 16:51

Well what do you expect. Maldonado's lap time has pricked the balloon of all the posters who have been knocking the team. I won't name them.......

Not knocking the Team, just worried.

Anyway, happy to be proved wrong.

Pastor also deserves some credit.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Advertisement

#1400 xtremespeedjunkie

xtremespeedjunkie

• 293 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 16:55

Pastor Maldonado did a 1:22.391 on super soft tires in a three lap stint. Now we know Pastor is no world beater and as i have been saying all along its not the car which is going to be a limiting factor rather their pay drivers this season for Williams. Now i know it is hypothetical but say an Adrian Sutil would have been comfortably quicker than Maldonado by nearly half a second which would drop the time in to 1:21's . Now that is an extremely competitve time by midfield standards. This is why i said Williams will be the one of teams to surprise as i have said several times only to be let down by their drivers. People are free to disagree with me but the Williams machine this season could have been a really competitive midfield runner in the hands of a genuinely talented driver. I mean imagine Sutil and Barrichello driving this car and imagine the team would been knocking the door of top five teams. Now i know people will come out jumping on this post saying how Williams have the next Hamilton/Alonso pairing on the grid but they are free to think the way they want to. Come the end of the season this very thread will have people saying if only for the drivers Williams could have had its best season in a while.

Edited by xtremespeedjunkie, 23 February 2012 - 16:56.