Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#1451 madrocker

madrocker

• 117 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:13

It seems that Danado's glory runs have actually produced a sponsor haha :lol: :up:

Edited by madrocker, 24 February 2012 - 12:15.

Advertisement

#1452 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:13

New deal with Oris:

http://www.williamsf.../news/view/2058

Mustah, good work, quick on the up take, but why less visibility on the car, but more visibility on the drivers and team, I think I see podiums coming. hahahahah

Williams are in a strong position this yea,r the sponsor pack is looking very good in such a troubled environment in which is Europe. P.S Australia really is the lucky county, too bad for most of you. :rotfl:

#1453 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:20

oh yeah another example of Williams drip feeding us, marketing department and the team are working so well, the car has changed colours since last test, it's what Ford did a couple of years ago in Australia, giving teasers to build the product up, and lets not forget the facebook app., that they have launched.

I see a company in good harmony and everyone going in a good direction

#1454 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 809 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:50

New deal with Oris:

http://www.williamsf.../news/view/2058

Good to see; always thought they were staying in some form as we have had their logo on the Williams live timing web site

:up:

(tho' having said that the Oris logo has now gone :drunk: )

Edited by Lord Snooty, 24 February 2012 - 12:52.

#1455 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:59

Good to see; always thought they were staying in some form as we have had their logo on the Williams live timing web site

(tho' having said that the Oris logo has now gone :drunk: )

But they article says upgraded sponsorship, so not sure what that means?

#1456 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 13:17

[twaddle]

You're a sanctimonious big head aren't you?

Anyway, last two days have been very good to see, in addition to hear that Pastor thinks the car has made a step forward suggests the setup runs are now bringing rewards. Having a reliable car out of the box seems to have allowed the team to make steps forward in understanding how the car rather than trying to work out how to make the car work at all.

Edited by wewantourdarbyback, 24 February 2012 - 13:17.

#1457 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 13:26

Still need to work on slow speed handling though:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97671

#1458 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 13:51

At least the team has a clear objective on where they should improve this time.
The aero isn't bad, given that the car is good at high speeds, just need a few adjustments.

There was a lot of talk in the offseason about interlinked suspensions, the banned ride height control and passive hydraulics systems...
I wonder if Williams suspension tech is up to the leading standards.

#1459 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 14:13

At least the team has a clear objective on where they should improve this time.
The aero isn't bad, given that the car is good at high speeds, just need a few adjustments.

There was a lot of talk in the offseason about interlinked suspensions, the banned ride height control and passive hydraulics systems...
I wonder if Williams suspension tech is up to the leading standards.

more laps completed than anyone else, the biggest thing they wanted to change was the communication from track to HQ.

New aero coming for next test, we are definitely not standing still, finally the right person in charge to take charge of the facilities and the expertise that Williams has.

A great start and more improvements to come, I can not fault Williams GP this year, they seem professional and organised. I'm Aussie and am glad to see the back of Sam Michael

Advertisement

#1460 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,671 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 14:38

It seems that Danado's glory runs have actually produced a sponsor haha :lol: :up:

Sorry, but the deal must have been renewed earlier, as ORIS logo have come back on the car from first day of Barcelona testing.

#1461 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 14:43

more laps completed than anyone else, the biggest thing they wanted to change was the communication from track to HQ.

New aero coming for next test, we are definitely not standing still, finally the right person in charge to take charge of the facilities and the expertise that Williams has.

A great start and more improvements to come, I can not fault Williams GP this year, they seem professional and organised. I'm Aussie and am glad to see the back of Sam Michael

I agree, i'm very happy that he is not in charge anymore, Williams was severely lacking in brain power and planning the last couple of years.

#1462 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 14:58

It started on his very first stint of the day.

It's almost like the car gained a second overnight :eek:

#1463 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 14:58

Sorry, but the deal must have been renewed earlier, as ORIS logo have come back on the car from first day of Barcelona testing.

To think a sponsor hands over millions for a quick lap in testing is stupid, I would think the exposure has more to do with negotiation than it does about a car going around in circles for nothing more than testing.

You seem to be thinking sponsors are stupid with to much money to spend, such simplistic view on the world. There is no way in this world that a sponsor, a long term sponsor would just sign up because they saw one good lap time.

Your humour is infectious I'mm just glad its not small pox

#1464 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 15:04

Both Sauber, Lotus, FI are having problems, time is time and testing is testing and it is limited, no such problems with the rightful 4 Williams, Ferrari, Maccas, Merc and RB, but there not here for F1 only to sell a stupid poisonous fizzy drink

#1465 FordFan

FordFan

• 3,458 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 16:56

Love to know the compounds.

Williams fast than the Merc the last 20 laps. Slower the first 20.

#1466 rog

rog

• 908 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 16:58

Love to know the compounds.

Williams fast than the Merc the last 20 laps. Slower the first 20.

What tyres compound did Maldonado use for their race stints?

#1467 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 18:55

First evolution i've spotted in the car since the launch.
I'm putting it as link due to it being high-res

Tighter bodywork

Williams closed the hot air exits low on the sidepods next to the gearbox, making it tighter, and added a little chimney (you can't extend it like a chimney any more due the rules) like cut next to the exhausts.

The Renault benefits showing up. :up:

Edit: Looking at this picture i have to say the lower triangle on the rear suspension is something i've never seen before, very small and close together, just look at it compared to the upper triangle...

Edited by Sevach, 24 February 2012 - 19:15.

#1468 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 19:01

I'm encouraged that the new car seems to be promising, without the inferior Cosworth/EBD devlopment sky is the limit.. shame the driver lineup is a bit 'meh', though..

#1469 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 21:00

First evolution i've spotted in the car since the launch.
I'm putting it as link due to it being high-res

Tighter bodywork

Williams closed the hot air exits low on the sidepods next to the gearbox, making it tighter, and added a little chimney (you can't extend it like a chimney any more due the rules) like cut next to the exhausts.

The Renault benefits showing up. :up:

Edit: Looking at this picture i have to say the lower triangle on the rear suspension is something i've never seen before, very small and close together, just look at it compared to the upper triangle...

I don't see any chimney and sidepods cooling exits are still there: :confused:
Posted Image

#1470 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 21:12

On this photo one side is closed the other open.

Posted Image

fully closed

I believe they ran both today, to get comparisons.
To see the cut near the exhaust (on the other photo) adjust your brightness/gama, it is kinda hard to spot.

Edited by Sevach, 24 February 2012 - 21:14.

#1471 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 809 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 21:23

Have to say, the FW34 looks rather gorgeous....

#1472 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 22:02

I think so too :love:

Hi res closed

Hi-res pic of the closed body work.

#1473 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 22:07

The engine cover looks surprisingly fat...

#1474 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 22:07

I'm encouraged that the new car seems to be promising, without the inferior Cosworth/EBD devlopment sky is the limit.. shame the driver lineup is a bit 'meh', though..

Maldonado will be a "Kobayashi like" surprise with a good car.

Write that down :up:

#1475 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 22:10

I think he can be too. There's always a marked progression from your rookie season to your second. Maldonado showed real promise last year.

#1476 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 22:20

The engine cover looks surprisingly fat...

That angle makes cars look chubby.
Plus Williams focus on finishing the bodywork early to create separation, rather than slim it down progressively.

Merc

#1477 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 23:57

I think he can be too. There's always a marked progression from your rookie season to your second. Maldonado showed real promise last year.

Well, he didn't parked the car in a wall yet, so it is a clear progress. I think he will gather lots of points this year.

And the car is an absolute beauty seen from behind. I bet they made it that way so the rest of the field can enjoy the view :)

Edited by joora, 24 February 2012 - 23:58.

#1478 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,342 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 22:49

Looking good, hopefully we can consistently get one car to the third qualification to start with.

#1479 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 23:19

I think so too :love:

Hi res closed

Hi-res pic of the closed body work.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Advertisement

#1480 911

• 2,208 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 23:36

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

I agree the back looks nice. But, I'm still having a problem with the duck-billed/Lego-styled front! :cool:

#1481 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 00:07

After looking at many many pics (and not just of the Williams) a got used to it.
It doesn't sound my alarms anymore :lol:

I never got used to the Walrus for ex.

The actual nose cone, before the chassis bump, actually looks really good imo.
It's so slim and flat, it looks better than last years version, but then the minimum cross section rule throws a monkey wrench at it...

Edited by Sevach, 26 February 2012 - 00:08.

#1482 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:26

Here is a form table after 8 of the 12 testing days according to "experts"

http://www.blick.ch/...-id1782228.html

According to them Williams haven't moved up at all. Let's hope they are wrong

#1483 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 13:17

Here is a form table after 8 of the 12 testing days according to "experts"

http://www.blick.ch/...-id1782228.html

According to them Williams haven't moved up at all. Let's hope they are wrong

Bullshït.

Williams are better than what many people think...

#1484 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 13:24

Bullshït.

Williams are better than what many people think...

Based on?

#1485 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 13:28

Based on?

Long runs pace?

#1486 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,671 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 14:18

It looks like "experts" and other people opinions after testing are usually based more on a trend from a previous season than on what was really shown during testing.
Let's take a Williams for example.
- After decent second half of 2007, many people believed that we were strong before 2008.
- After weak 2008 not many people believed, that we were strong before 2009. But in first races we were fighting with Red Bull and Toyota right behing Brawn (based on pace, spoiled strategy, pit stops etc. caused that we haven't scored many points)
- After decent 2009 many people believed that our 2010 would be also decent, but in first couple of races our pace was not there.
- After decent second half od 2010, many believed that we would be strong in 2011.
- And now, after disastrous 2011, not many people consider us as a real improvement for 2012.

On the other hand, Force India was recently on a rising trend, so many people believe now that they will surprise in 2012. And although I would wish a podium-capable car for Hulk, I don't get this hype over their pace. I would rather say that Williams showed better pace on long runs.
Not to mention that our long run pace was miles better than Toro Rosso, and still most of "experts" believe that we are behind them.

And it's hard to believe that Ferrari would be at the bottom half of the field, although I would like this scenario. :D

And even if this table would be right, most of teams will have big upgrades before first race, as well as some of them may solve some of their problems, so it can change significantly and it's no use to believe that in the season it will look the same.

#1487 vas04614

vas04614

• 329 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 16:33

It looks like "experts" and other people opinions after testing are usually based more on a trend from a previous season than on what was really shown during testing.
- After decent second half of 2007, many people believed that we were strong before 2008.
- After weak 2008 not many people believed, that we were strong before 2009. But in first races we were fighting with Red Bull and Toyota right behing Brawn (based on pace, spoiled strategy, pit stops etc. caused that we haven't scored many points)
- After decent 2009 many people believed that our 2010 would be also decent, but in first couple of races our pace was not there.
- After decent second half od 2010, many believed that we would be strong in 2011.
- And now, after disastrous 2011, not many people consider us as a real improvement for 2012.

On the other hand, Force India was recently on a rising trend, so many people believe now that they will surprise in 2012. And although I would wish a podium-capable car for Hulk, I don't get this hype over their pace. I would rather say that Williams showed better pace on long runs.
Not to mention that our long run pace was miles better than Toro Rosso, and still most of "experts" believe that we are behind them.

And it's hard to believe that Ferrari would be at the bottom half of the field, although I would like this scenario. :D

And even if this table would be right, most of teams will have big upgrades before first race, as well as some of them may solve some of their problems, so it can change significantly and it's no use to believe that in the season it will look the same.

I cannot explain why but definitely feel what you said is true.

#1488 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 21:29

I remember 2008 everybody and their mothers saying that Williams was the dark horse that would mix it up with the big guys.

Not many would put Williams as worst of the established teams last year either, most put it behind the big 4 and some pointing it as a surprise too.

#1489 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:53

After watching the NatGeo bit on Williams, at this point I'm pretty sure that Williams main issue all these years has been its people, since the facilities are there. And makes me even more glad that Sam Michael is gone.

Now, since Williams is hiring people, could someone get Pastor an english teacher, please?.

Edited by sheogorath, 27 February 2012 - 04:34.

#1490 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:46

After watching the NatGeo bit on Williams, at this point I'm pretty sure that Williams main issue all these years has been its people, since the facilities are there. And makes me even more glad that Sam Michael is gone.

Now, since Williams is hiring people, could someone get Pastor an english teacher, please?.

Why are you so happy about Dam leaving? I could not really understand this simple reacion being justified too often with no perticular reason/argument. Sam and his reams got produced numbers of thoughts/engineering principles that are still cutting at front. Double intakes, DDD, ...

Williams's issue was elsewhere, but to make change they needed this to happen. It is more structural problem rather than a personnal one. Ferrari Fans understand this much more. None seems to pronouce the Costa's departure as a true positive elements, as yet.

#1491 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:54

I cannot explain why but definitely feel what you said is true.

Just a generic tendency of human psychology. Revolution rarely happens while inflation keeps on going.

But things may change in formula One quicker than in other field.

#1492 Smiley

Smiley

• 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 16:25

Looking at this pictures,can somebody explain what happens to the air thats "trapped" within the engine cover,the only exit holes I can see is where the pull rod goes towards the anchor point,should that be the exit holes,aren't the suspension parts a bit in the way,as nothing seems to be streamlined in any way to assist with aero, I for one hope that we can turn things around, as far as points go this season,at least we can't do worse than last year. Your input with air exit will be truly appreciated,fingers crossed for a good season

http://www.formule1....120208-0151.jpg

#1493 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 19:33

Why are you so happy about Dam leaving? I could not really understand this simple reacion being justified too often with no perticular reason/argument. Sam and his reams got produced numbers of thoughts/engineering principles that are still cutting at front. Double intakes, DDD, ...

Williams's issue was elsewhere, but to make change they needed this to happen. It is more structural problem rather than a personnal one. Ferrari Fans understand this much more. None seems to pronouce the Costa's departure as a true positive elements, as yet.

Well, I seriously doubt the DDD was Sam's brainchild considering that Brawn and Toyota also had them. The other main difference being that Brawn actually managed to achieve something with it. Heck, even Toyota managed quite a few podiums, with the exact same engine, I might add, so that rules out the engine as well. And to be honest, that speaks quite a bit against Sam's capacity as TD, at least in my opinion.

Seeing Williams' randomly jump positions each season since 2006 shows a lack of direction, which in my opinion, indicates a serious lack of proper leadership. That too becames obvious during the first half of the 2011 season when the team's solution for the cars' issues was just to randomly throw bits and pieces to the car to see what worked, turning every FP into a Jerez/Barcelona testing instead of just finding out the best setup for the car in that particular track.

While I do agree that he might not be the main reason for Williams' woes in the last 8 to 10 years, I do think he was not up to the role he was given and his presence probably aggravated any underlying issue the team already had.

#1494 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 19:41

Well, I seriously doubt the DDD was Sam's brainchild considering that Brawn and Toyota also had them. The other main difference being that Brawn actually managed to achieve something with it. Heck, even Toyota managed quite a few podiums, with the exact same engine, I might add, so that rules out the engine as well. And to be honest, that speaks quite a bit against Sam's capacity as TD, at least in my opinion.

Seeing Williams' randomly jump positions each season since 2006 shows a lack of direction, which in my opinion, indicates a serious lack of proper leadership. That too becames obvious during the first half of the 2011 season when the team's solution for the cars' issues was just to randomly throw bits and pieces to the car to see what worked, turning every FP into a Jerez/Barcelona testing instead of just finding out the best setup for the car in that particular track.

While I do agree that he might not be the main reason for Williams' woes in the last 8 to 10 years, I do think he was not up to the role he was given and his presence probably aggravated any underlying issue the team already had.

I take some points of yours. I do feel that the team was not headding the right direction, perhaps it is due more to the pressure the Williams was placed in the championship from where they wanted to forge front. For years Williams was the team to beat, after departure of Nwy and co, things changed. It is not an easy job. Obviously Sam played better than his former leader Willis and co, looking back results, while in Honda Willis perfomed better, slightly.

#1495 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 19:46

Looking at this pictures,can somebody explain what happens to the air thats "trapped" within the engine cover,the only exit holes I can see is where the pull rod goes towards the anchor point,should that be the exit holes,aren't the suspension parts a bit in the way,as nothing seems to be streamlined in any way to assist with aero, I for one hope that we can turn things around, as far as points go this season,at least we can't do worse than last year. Your input with air exit will be truly appreciated,fingers crossed for a good season

http://www.formule1....120208-0151.jpg

I guess it sucked out of the bottle just behind the rear arms. There you have huge down wash stream that caused by the air which tries to fill the "vacume" that moving chassis has caused. Well Aero experts will explain this in exact language, but it is like imagining a hole on water surface, which is not possible as any hole will be filled with water. Air does the same at this point and you have huge current washing down the car's body to rear wing, fast flow creates lower pressure by which hot air from the pod is sucked out and move to rear wing. Exhaust position will certainly enhance this speed hence more effects...

#1496 Smiley

Smiley

• 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 20:16

I guess it sucked out of the bottle just behind the rear arms. There you have huge down wash stream that caused by the air which tries to fill the "vacume" that moving chassis has caused. Well Aero experts will explain this in exact language, but it is like imagining a hole on water surface, which is not possible as any hole will be filled with water. Air does the same at this point and you have huge current washing down the car's body to rear wing, fast flow creates lower pressure by which hot air from the pod is sucked out and move to rear wing. Exhaust position will certainly enhance this speed hence more effects...

Thanks,just watched Mega factories,Williams F1,incredible workload on everybody to keep the cars running

#1497 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:52

The DDD came from ex Super Aguri employees.

#1498 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 22:11

The DDD came from ex Super Aguri employees.

Said to be a Japanese engineers, someof them went to Toyota, some remained. But Sam took the idea on board.
Never the less, I do not want to act like I am protecting him. I just know that these things rolles around structured over person and rising pressure oftern want to make a person scapegoat. Next time who? Do we remember what has happened to Jaguar Racing under Ford which is now Red Bull?

#1499 Tract1on

Tract1on

• 330 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 00:02

I wish Sir Frank could convince Adrian Newey to rejoin the team and complete the cycle, would be great to have Williams at the front again, adrian could maybe join in 2014 for a new challenge!

Advertisement

#1500 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:06

I do not agree with your statements, that Frank Williams need to convince Adrian newey to be back on Williams as soon as 2014. Perhaps never will he be anyways, I assume. Any dirctorship should be given time to prove their worth, as well.