Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#1501 kenny

kenny

• 2,028 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:00

does anyone know who is running at what day in Barcelona this week?

Advertisement

#1502 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 13:08

I think it's Maldonado, Maldonado/Senna, Maldonado/Senna, Senna closes.

#1503 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 23:58

Wurz believes, from track observations, that Williams is ahead of Sauber and STR.

He said the team is in the midfield with Force India, but you get the sense that he thinks they are a little bit infront.

#1504 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:37

I wish Sir Frank could convince Adrian Newey to rejoin the team and complete the cycle, would be great to have Williams at the front again, adrian could maybe join in 2014 for a new challenge!

Adrian seems snug as a bug at Red Bull, can see him going anywhere for quite some time if at all.

#1505 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,495 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:34

Wurz believes, from track observations, that Williams is ahead of Sauber and STR.

He said the team is in the midfield with Force India, but you get the sense that he thinks they are a little bit infront.

Even at Jerez I enjoyed watching the Williams more than the twitchy Sauber. The FW34 had higher speed stability, but was lacking traction and a bit of mechanical grip compared to Sauber and STR, but I still put that down to the Renault package still being fresh, with no real setup work going in at that first test.

#1506 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:47

Adam Parr getting a glowing reference from Frank Williams

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97717

Never been convinced about him myself but then what do I know!!!

#1507 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:52

Even at Jerez I enjoyed watching the Williams more than the twitchy Sauber. The FW34 had higher speed stability, but was lacking traction and a bit of mechanical grip compared to Sauber and STR, but I still put that down to the Renault package still being fresh, with no real setup work going in at that first test.

I hope with improvements in slow speed corners and traction, where the team themselves have said they are currently lacking, they can close the gap to Lotus and FI (if there is one judging from testing)

I still maintain Lotus should be the target for this season, I expect them to be the 5th best team

#1508 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,495 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:57

I think some reasonable success (getting back amongst FI, Lotus) is certainly possible, the car just looked 'raw' when I was watching it in Jerez, but there were many reasons for that, and there was lots of inherent positives in the way the car drove.

Pastor seems to really like it, Bruno too.

#1509 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:10

Your eyes are good :up:
This matches perfectly with Wurz who said the Sauber has problems at the rear.
And also with Senna and Bottas feedback about the slow corners.
Maybe Pastor deals better with it (?).

With the Williams-Renault combo being new, there is certainly some room for improvement early season that the other teams do not have.

#1510 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:49

Adam Parr getting a glowing reference from Frank Williams

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97717

Never been convinced about him myself but then what do I know!!!

Fair enough I guess. It's his company!

I was more interested in Frank's comments on the shortfalls of the FW33. He confirmed reports of the car not having as much ballast to play around with as some other teams. I have to say I was surprised when we heard unsubstantiated claims the monocoque was relatively heavy, but they appear to be true. I wonder if the Williams KERS also contributed to this?

Interesting the Renault appears to be more powerful than the Cosworth too!

We can only hope that as all these issues have been identified, the team has been able to fix most. The aero side of things would be the most difficult I imagine.

#1511 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:01

Fair enough I guess. It's his company!

I was more interested in Frank's comments on the shortfalls of the FW33. He confirmed reports of the car not having as much ballast to play around with as some other teams. I have to say I was surprised when we heard unsubstantiated claims the monocoque was relatively heavy, but they appear to be true. I wonder if the Williams KERS also contributed to this?

Interesting the Renault appears to be more powerful than the Cosworth too!

We can only hope that as all these issues have been identified, the team has been able to fix most. The aero side of things would be the most difficult I imagine.

KERS did contribute. Every team started with heavy unit in 2009 (around 30 kg?) and as the development progressed they were shedding the weight. Williams was way behind in development. About Cosworth - it was only less powerful after several races, deteriorating with time.

But it's still weird. How it was then possible for Williams to have a decent season in 2010? At some stage consistently in the top 10, sometimes in front of FI/Renault, close to Mercedes. With Cosworth, Sam Michael and all. Did everybody else make a big step in 2011?

#1512 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:16

KERS did contribute. Every team started with heavy unit in 2009 (around 30 kg?) and as the development progressed they were shedding the weight. Williams was way behind in development. About Cosworth - it was only less powerful after several races, deteriorating with time.

But it's still weird. How it was then possible for Williams to have a decent season in 2010? At some stage consistently in the top 10, sometimes in front of FI/Renault, close to Mercedes. With Cosworth, Sam Michael and all. Did everybody else make a big step in 2011?

2011 = EBD
Massive disadvantage for Cosworth powered Williams, which also featured an compromised setup (according to rubens they had to adjust to higher ride height because they were braking the floor in testing)
I think the main disadvantage of Cossie compared to Renault is the size and cooling requirements. This years car is based on FW33, but the change in size really shows in the back (no ugly hlump like wiht hte cossie).

I have a good feeling about this year - the car is beautiful (except the nose ofcourse), the test sessions are problem free (as opposed to last years KERS and various other problems), and they have already a solid base (Pastor confirmed in Jerez that the car is noticably better than last years)

I think we will mix it wiht FI and Lotus this year, but what I'm really hoping for is mixing with Merc and the weakest of the top three teams. Lotus has major problems, and I'm not convinced FI has same potential for in season development like Williams.

Edited by joora, 29 February 2012 - 10:17.

#1513 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:10

The driver schedule for the upcoming test in Barcelona is:

Thursday 1 March: Pastor Maldonado
Friday 2 March: Pastor Maldonado / Bruno Senna
Saturday 3 March: Bruno Senna
Sunday 4 March: Bruno Senna / Pastor Maldonado

#1514 kenny

kenny

• 2,028 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:39

The driver schedule for the upcoming test in Barcelona is:

Thursday 1 March: Pastor Maldonado
Friday 2 March: Pastor Maldonado / Bruno Senna
Saturday 3 March: Bruno Senna
Sunday 4 March: Bruno Senna / Pastor Maldonado

thanks!
half a day each on fri and sun then...

#1515 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,326 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:57

Does Wurz has any role at Williams at the moment? Cause if not, that would be a really good sign - driver's on track observation is one of the most valuable things one can get out of the winter season and I take his word above any other expert (or so called expert) has said or written for F1 mags.

#1516 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,098 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 13:02

On the Renault engine

Translation
The V8 Renault, a true asset to the Williams FW34
Mark Gillan is thrilled!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 1:12 p.m., by Olivier Ferret

Williams has already had occasion to praise the Renault engine, which replaced the Cosworth in the cars produced this year since the team moved to Grove. The French V8 is more powerful than the UK and has also helped solve other problems related to the chassis, including cooling.

"The Renault engine is really much more flexible, much more flexible. It's a real step forward for our car. In addition the working relationship with Renault are excellent, they are very professional. We continue to discover one but the other things are going well. I'm really, really happy, "said Mark Gillan, director of operations for Williams F1.

The Renault engine is deemed to determine function without loss of performance and reliability in high temperature water and oil. It is a blessing for Williams Cosworth as the needed a lot more openings on the body for cooling.

"We did not perform well in cooling with the previous car. As a result we lost a lot of performance with Cosworth. So we spent a lot of time to improve the body and although much like the FW34 FW33 in Above all is significantly different. we have reviewed and corrected every detail and every area that we lost performance. "

The switch to Renault power has been a critical change for the team as the team’s Chief Operations engineer Mark Gillan explains; ”The initial feedback on the engine from Pastor Maldonado was very much positive even on the installation lap which is very unusual. Indeed it is incredibly unusual for the driver to get out the car and comment on the improvement he felt straight away.” The installation of the engine into the car has also opened up some design scope according to Gillan. ”The Renault engine differs in a number of ways to the Cosworth, it has opened up a lot more flexibility in terms of mapping and it allows us to run a lot hotter with the water and oil which an aerodynamic point of view it is much better. Now we can close up the bodywork a bit. The RS27 also has less degradation with mileage in terms of the engine life. At the end of the season when they try to preserve agents that makes a big difference.”

http://www.racecar-e.../williams-fw34/

#1517 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 13:04

I know the EBD has been mentioned, and certainly that was a large factor. However, the 2010 car didn't have KERS and all the associated ancillaries within it. I wonder if developing and installing this all from scratch played a part in the team's lack of competitiveness?

#1518 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 13:41

Does Wurz has any role at Williams at the moment? Cause if not, that would be a really good sign - driver's on track observation is one of the most valuable things one can get out of the winter season and I take his word above any other expert (or so called expert) has said or written for F1 mags.

He was signed as a drivers' coach before the Barca test.

#1519 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 14:46

I know the EBD has been mentioned, and certainly that was a large factor. However, the 2010 car didn't have KERS and all the associated ancillaries within it. I wonder if developing and installing this all from scratch played a part in the team's lack of competitiveness?

I share this view. Doing smallest box and making Kers Sam must have been working like nuts if what many says about him dictative is truer. Never the less it is F1. Hope for the best of 2012

Advertisement

#1520 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,567 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 15:58

The Williams car was overweight as a result of a number of issues. Their inhouse KERS was over 30kg, their carbon fibre technolgy had fallen behind the leading teams resulting in a heavier monocoque. The lowline gearbox was heavier than the 2010 version and the for the same power output the Cosworth probably consumes 20kg more fuel, that equates to a deficit of 6/10s a lap. If you marry that to a concept that Sam Michael pulled out of his backside, you see why the car was shite.

Edited by Petroltorque, 29 February 2012 - 15:59.

#1521 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 16:45

He is a Williams employee, but he wasn't talking just about Williams on his interview, he gave a breakdown/pecking order from the top.
Was he being "kind" to his employers? I can't tell...

Regarding weight of the FW33 i've heard several things, heavy Kers, outdated chassis tech and coupling the tiny gearbox, rear suspension and rear wing assembly together ended up weighting 20% more than on the FW32.

Add that to the Cosworth difficulties... Barrichello suggested that if they used the off throttle blowing, they had to couple it with a bad engine braking setting, i.e. if wanted to use (cold)blowing you were severely limited in the mappings you could use, the car ended unstable either way...

#1522 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:58

Williams hybrid, not going anywhere, Williams F1 sturggling for money, hmmmm. wouldn;t seem like that, espically since they have been working with Audi on their Le Mans car, using Williams flywheel technology. I'm sure they wouldn;t be doing that for free.

Still can't understand why they signed up to the agreement of using batteries, when obviously there flywheel tech is up their and just as efficient as batteries, and I'm sure the packaging is smaller and lighter.

Once again must of been Sam Michael, lol, negating every performance advantage we had.

#1523 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:03

Williams hybrid, not going anywhere, Williams F1 sturggling for money, hmmmm. wouldn;t seem like that, espically since they have been working with Audi on their Le Mans car, using Williams flywheel technology. I'm sure they wouldn;t be doing that for free.

Still can't understand why they signed up to the agreement of using batteries, when obviously there flywheel tech is up their and just as efficient as batteries, and I'm sure the packaging is smaller and lighter.

Once again must of been Sam Michael, lol, negating every performance advantage we had.

They sign up to it, they just couldn't fit the flywheel system into the package.

#1524 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,337 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:53

Yep apparently increasing the fueltank size for non refueling made it hard to package, batteries on the other hand can be moulded to fit whatever packaging requirements you have. They can even be structural elements.

#1525 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 00:47

They decided to go with batteries after the refueling ban, it couldn't fit in the car, it might've been lighter than batteries, but the bigger volume killed it.

As far as i know there isn't anything stopping Williams from using flywheels on the F1 car, just a choice in car packaging.

#1526 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:23

I assume you are referring to the new Audi E-Tron or whatever it's called

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97739

More good news for Williams Hybrid

#1527 vas04614

vas04614

• 327 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:06

So When will the teams put on their AUS GP package??............today..tomorroww...final day!!!!!!!!

#1528 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:58

So When will the teams put on their AUS GP package??............today..tomorroww...final day!!!!!!!!

Hopefully today, not long to wait to see

#1529 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:53

Hopefully today, not long to wait to see

:up:

Edited by Lord Snooty, 01 March 2012 - 10:53.

#1530 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:16

Well they are running a new FW. Credit to Francesc for finding the picture.

http://www.formula1....pl1201ma006.jpg

#1531 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:01

I assume you are referring to the new Audi E-Tron or whatever it's called

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97739

More good news for Williams Hybrid

Yes to all the above, I know but the packaging and the weight are very similar, i know they signed an agreement with the teams and FIA to outlaw flywheel and to use battery only in '09, they spent the year previous '09 developing and purchasing the flywheel company, but then opted for the Toyota solution. Flywheel can generate more and is more efficient than the battery solution, think they had problems at the start with reliabiity but that is obviously sorted now, flywheel is a much more economical and potentially more useful solution that batteries

#1532 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:20

Well they are running a new FW. Credit to Francesc for finding the picture.

http://www.formula1....pl1201ma006.jpg

Tricky little thing.

Williams is still following their own path with FW, although full of vanes and curves, it still follows the same path as the old one.

#1533 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 14:34

Credit to blackout from f1technical
Posted Image

The differences are subtle yet obvious enough. Clearly an evolution from the previous wing.

It does resemble Merc's new front wing though

#1534 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 16:44

Only 58 laps today, did the team have problems?

#1535 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 16:52

Probably evaluating different parts.

#1536 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,677 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 16:56

New sponsor...

Posted Image
http://grandepremio....2 10545005.html

... but it's only Senna's personal sponsor.

Edited by highdownforce, 01 March 2012 - 16:59.

#1537 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,039 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 17:24

Credit to blackout from f1technical
Posted Image

The differences are subtle yet obvious enough. Clearly an evolution from the previous wing.

It does resemble Merc's new front wing though

Those are some funky shapes on the lower one.

#1538 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 18:55

OK, so not the best day so far:

Driver: Pastor Maldonado
Chassis / engine: FW34-02 / RS27-5281/1
Objectives: Aero correlation tests and set-up work
Weather: Dry and sunny all day
Ambient & track temps: 23ºC / 27ºC
Fastest Time: 1:25.587, 10th (On lap 21 of 58)

Mark Gillan, Chief Operations Engineer: We tested part of our first race update package today, and in particular the new front wing. We then tested a number of interesting exploratory mechanical set-ups to investigate potential development directions for the forthcoming races. During the day, we encountered a couple of issues which limited our running and which we are currently investigating.

Pastor Maldonado: We didn’t complete as much running as we would have liked today, but we still gathered some good data. This morning we ran our new front wing so we will analyse the results from our aero runs this evening. We completed a few longer runs during the afternoon as we investigated a number of set-up directions.

The Williams F1 Team will be back on track tomorrow, Friday 2 March, with Pastor Maldonado driving in the morning session and Bruno Senna driving the afternoon session for the second day of the test.

#1539 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 19:19

Definitely, the best angle to understand this wing would be from underneath.

Advertisement

#1540 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 20:11

It gets even more funky.

Posted Image

#1541 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:32

Car has stopped out on the track, any news of the problem?

#1542 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:55

Can't see any mention of anything visibly wrong in the Live reports. However, no laps done yet either! Pastor and the team must be a little frustrated given the lack of running yesterday.

#1543 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:16

Can't see any mention of anything visibly wrong in the Live reports. However, no laps done yet either! Pastor and the team must be a little frustrated given the lack of running yesterday.

Pastor is only driving this morning too, Senna takes over later

#1544 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:01

Frank Williams steps down.....

Williams founder Sir Frank Williams will step down from the board at his team at the end of the month.

His daughter Claire Williams will join the board on April 1st, taking over from Dominic Reilly as director of marketing and communications.

#1545 H0R

H0R

• 782 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:02

Wow, according to F1 Fanatic Sir Frank quits! http://www.f1fanatic...ams-grand-prix/

#1546 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:02

Williams Grand Prix Holdings Board Announcement
http://www.williamsf.../news/view/2067

#1547 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:13

Wow, according to F1 Fanatic Sir Frank quits! http://www.f1fanatic...ams-grand-prix/

He is still team principle

#1548 OSX

OSX

• 4,170 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:16

Nice to see Frank's daughter Claire Williams joining the board from 1 April as Director of Marketing and Communications.

Posted Image

#1549 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:02

the change has happened, and i feel sad, no big good bye, just a understated fairwell, sad day for F1.

Frank thank you...
Patrick thank you...

The name lives on but the memories still burn brightly...

But to the new era lets make it a good one.

#1550 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:05

the change has happened, and i feel sad, no big good bye, just a understated fairwell, sad day for F1.

Frank thank you...
Patrick thank you...

The name lives on but the memories still burn brightly...

But to the new era lets make it a good one.

Well, FW will still remain team principal, so it's not that bad.

Also glad to see that Williams name will still play a key role in the future.