Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#1651 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:04

Blimey - that over-reaction is way worse than the original postings! What's the matter with you? If you don't like the posts just leave them - it's only words; it doesn't actually make what he's saying come true!

No thread is for purely positive spin - people can say what they like. Hell - it might even be worth considering if he has a point. It will do no-one any harm to do so. Ignorance is making up your mind before you've heard anything.

I can see what is trying to be said (I can't be bothered to question the motive) - and after reflection I think it is not justified. But it doesn't bother me if anyone wants to say the same again - I'll listen to that and make my own judgement. Pre-judging is not judging.

Advertisement

#1652 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:54

Or you're one of those who thinks there is half a second difference between the drivers?

And you think there isn't?

1. Rosberg 0.49s (1.002s) 16-0
2. Glock 0.47s (-0.041s) 12-4
3. Vettel 0.373s (0.181s) 14-2
4. Alonso 0.371s (0.477s) 16-2

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=5420301

Oh, BTW. Can you finally answer to me why I should feel envy because Williams signed Bruno? I'm waiting impatiently since 2 months :|.

#1653 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:58

Or you're one of those who thinks there is half a second difference between the drivers?

BTW, do you know if there are other poor (pay)drivers in F1? Or is it exclusive to Williams?

To answer your question: Yes, I think 0.5s gap in pure speed between some drivers is far from being impossible. How would you explain some of the differences between teammates, be it in qualifying or in races, if there was only ~0.1s between them? I know that there are other variables to factor in, but still, I would expect say Alonso to be on average more than 0.1s per lap faster than Bruno (quite a bit more actually). I'm curious though, as to why do you think that 0.5s gap is something impossible, while all signs don't seem to point to that conclusion. Care to elaborate?

As for your second question, there are other poor* drivers in F1. Always have been. As everywhere, there are some that are better than others and F1 is no expection.

* poor is a relative term. They are all fantastic drivers. Otherwise they would not make it to F1. However as I said above, there are some that are substantially better than others.

#1654 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 13:42

The funny thing about the pathetic bloke is, that he knows so much about F1, he has a crystal ball and going to prove everyone wrong... not bad for a guy who like to go on to forums just to statisy some small guy syndrome. Can;t do it in real life and stand up for himself, but a big strong boy who can take on the world sitting behind his keyboard. LOSER.

Was watching a news report on this dilequents, and it was how there this new group of people who get there kicks from doing exactly this, creating stirs and been general wankers, but the worst thing about these sort of people is they think it's fun, and enjoyable. xspeedjunkie you also one of those loosers who posts things on facebook walls, after a daughter has been killed, or raped, for the world to see.

I say one thing to you, go outside get away from your keyboard, put a smile on your face and give your mum a hug, cause she's the only one who cares for you.

Great post!! :up: :up:
We are in a internet forum to discuss and exchange information about a sport (and sometimes business) that we like. It's normal to have people with different opinions, people that are proved to be right or wrong. I think the real important thing is how you argument your point. Some guys over here just need to grow up, as GSF1 said just turn off your computer and try to have a relationship outside, give your mum a hug, and think about yourself. Life isn't about being rude with another people because they don't share the same opinion than you.

#1655 joora

joora

• 298 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 13:57

And you think there isn't?

Oh, BTW. Can you finally answer to me why I should feel envy because Williams signed Bruno? I'm waiting impatiently since 2 months :|.

Ok, the theme is Williams, so, according to times from that thread, does this:

9. Barrichello 0.08s (0.508s) 9-5

mean that Barrichello (a F1 veteran) was on average 0.08 seconds faster than Maldonado (F1 rookie) in qualifications?
And if it does, that would basically mean that Maldonado is an equally fast driver in his rookie season as Barrichello is after 19 F1 seasons?
So, according to the argument that Mastah posted, I cannot figure out how is Maldonado a poor pay driver? (the last is aimed at xtremespeedjunkie)

Edited by joora, 07 March 2012 - 14:00.

#1656 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 15:16

Bruno interview in portuguese

A quick breakdown.

Midfield should be close, Williams aim to be in the top 10 (Q3).
The car is reliable, easy to drive, nice with the tires and has a lot of room to improve.
The FW34 is setup a lot stiffer than the R31 Renault, and very different to drive.
He feels a lot better prepared.
He basically dodges the question on which midfield teams are the strongest.
He likes Wurz and doesn't feel threatened or anything.

#1657 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 15:19

Ok, the theme is Williams, so, according to times from that thread, does this:

9. Barrichello 0.08s (0.508s) 9-5

mean that Barrichello (a F1 veteran) was on average 0.08 seconds faster than Maldonado (F1 rookie) in qualifications?
And if it does, that would basically mean that Maldonado is an equally fast driver in his rookie season as Barrichello is after 19 F1 seasons?
So, according to the argument that Mastah posted, I cannot figure out how is Maldonado a poor pay driver? (the last is aimed at xtremespeedjunkie)

Bringing facts into these arguments is not on. But there again the facts aren't the only story. Maldonado got beaten by Hulk in GP, but then faired better against Rubens than Hulk did. Maldonado beat Perez amongst others in GP2, but apparently Perez is the Bee's knees.

I remember a couple of years back people writing on here that if Button won the championship he would be the worst champion of all time. Then when he moved to McLaren that Lewis would pummel him.

It's a forum for opinions, some people spend their time wishing others to do badly. I think Senna and Maldonado will do fine this season and as I have said a million times before, Williams' problem/first act is to get the car right. Last year was a nightmare, it can't get worse. The only way is up!

#1658 joora

joora

• 298 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 15:45

Bringing facts into these arguments is not on. But there again the facts aren't the only story. Maldonado got beaten by Hulk in GP, but then faired better against Rubens than Hulk did. Maldonado beat Perez amongst others in GP2, but apparently Perez is the Bee's knees.

I remember a couple of years back people writing on here that if Button won the championship he would be the worst champion of all time. Then when he moved to McLaren that Lewis would pummel him.

It's a forum for opinions, some people spend their time wishing others to do badly. I think Senna and Maldonado will do fine this season and as I have said a million times before, Williams' problem/first act is to get the car right. Last year was a nightmare, it can't get worse. The only way is up!

I completely agree that the facts aren't the only story. And I also think that these drivers should be given a proper chance before judging them. They both had (more or less) a year in F1 in which is normal to have rookie mistakes, so this season will be the chance to prove themselves.

So, it's futile to bash or praise the drivers now, lets wait till a few races pass to lay judgments.

#1659 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 18:52

How would you explain some of the differences between teammates, be it in qualifying or in races, if there was only ~0.1s between them? I know that there are other variables to factor in, but still, I would expect say Alonso to be on average more than 0.1s per lap faster than Bruno (quite a bit more actually). I'm curious though, as to why do you think that 0.5s gap is something impossible, while all signs don't seem to point to that conclusion. Care to elaborate?

You've answered yourself.
The variables that lead to the differences you mention are endless: psychological (Bourdais!), physiological, techniques (never forget the team job).
But in terms of pure speed, with the support of telemetry that has evolved over the past 25 years, every driver knows exactly where to brake, accelerate and where to put the wheels. The differences are minimal, certainly not 5/10, or even the 6/10 that many people accredit to Alonso.

Advertisement

#1660 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 20:23

Williams aim to be in the top 10 (Q3).

I think this is a 'sponsor lap' statement. Top 15 is the realistic goal.

#1661 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,675 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 20:38

Senna was talking about scoring points rather than qualifying for Q3:

Q - Williams [lately] hasn't achieved the same results from the 90's, what are yours and team's expectations for 2012?

BS - The team's intentions is to be always on the top 10 [finishing positions], something that is not easy because this is a big step in performance compared to last year. But this is the goal that the team has agreed for this season and based on the experience [accumulated] on the pre season I think we are competitive [enough] for this task. It'll be very close between the teams trying to get on top 10 but we'll work hard to be always there scoring points.

Edited by highdownforce, 07 March 2012 - 20:40.

#1662 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 22:49

Senna was talking about scoring points rather than qualifying for Q3:

It's funny the car is more capable than last year, but this time last year, they were talking themselves up, this year with what looks to be a far better package and they are talking themselves down and .

This new Williams team is very different, maybe its once biten twice shy. I like this new understated team, just hope it is a bit of sandbagging before we get into it in Melbourne.

There really is no excuses for Williams to build a bad car, they have some of the best facilities, one of the largest workforces and what looks like now a more harmonious management. I expect top 10 in qualifying in Australia, and a solid result in the race.

I think Senna and Maldo will be just fine, Williams seem to be giving them a lot of protection and are a lot of help in developing them as better drivers, also there integration into the team seems to be quite strong with good communication.

#1663 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 2,972 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:32

Sky are showing a great time lapse video from Williams factory this winter as new car is built up. If you don't have the channel it really is worth getting, they're already showing some great stuff.

#1664 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:31

I expect top 10 in qualifying in Australia, and a solid result in the race.

Keep expectations in check. The car is not a lightning. Top 15 is the goal, at the moment.

#1665 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:14

Well here's a pic of what appears to be the latest spec FW34 that was briefly tested on the last day at Barcelona. Notice the combined exhaust sidepod cooling solution. I wonder whether we'll see this in a week's time?

http://f1grandprix.m...zo_2012_167.jpg

#1666 Clatter

Clatter

• 26,852 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:21

Keep expectations in check. The car is not a lightning. Top 15 is the goal, at the moment.

It may well be where they end up, but I'm pretty sure it's not the goal.

#1667 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

• 36 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:26

The goal imo is much more strategic than top10 or top15 in a given race. The goal must be to bring the engineering department back to top levels again and to extract the full potential of our budget and facilities, which I think we all agree are enough to secure 5th place in the WCC consistently.

Our main problem after BMW departed has been our people and I believe we are in the right direction in this regard. 2012 is a transition year. I will be happy if we improve on last years dismal performance even slightly and everything I saw in winter testing points to that. I believe that FW33 had the potential to be a very fast car, but that potential was ruined by the gradual disintegration of our engineering department. Only a very poor team has such problems as ride height and weight. Add the problems caused by the engine and you have Williams 2011. The FW34 is the car that FW33 should have been.

I think the strategy of the team is to make the best of this transition year with two mediocre drivers, build a healthy cash reserve, rebuild the engineering department and throw everything on the FW35. In 2013 we attack. I don't expect Senna to renew his contract. Maldonado will be retained and we will probably sign a good no1 driver. That's just my opinion anyway.

Edited by Mithrandir, 08 March 2012 - 12:27.

#1668 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 14:50

Well here's a pic of what appears to be the latest spec FW34 that was briefly tested on the last day at Barcelona. Notice the combined exhaust sidepod cooling solution. I wonder whether we'll see this in a week's time?

http://f1grandprix.m...zo_2012_167.jpg

Williams seems to be foregoing any blowing and focusing on optimum mechanical setup/cooling with their exhausts, at least for now.

I fully expected the original layout to change.
It resembled the launch version of the FW32 a little too much, this new layout could still change between cool and hot races.

Edited by Sevach, 08 March 2012 - 14:50.

#1669 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 297 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 15:01

Sky are showing a great time lapse video from Williams factory this winter as new car is built up. If you don't have the channel it really is worth getting, they're already showing some great stuff.

The video is in youtube so no need to get sky yet :drunk:
I did notice that the wings of the car shake an awful lot when riding the kerbs.

at around 11:30

#1670 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,409 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 16:14

Considering the fact, that last year Williams had at least one car in top15 in 17/19 qualifying sessions and in 17/19 races, it would be ridiculous not to demand anything more in 2012. The team is in transition phase, but now they have far better engine, there is no longer EBD allowed, which was the area in which Williams was losing very much last year and now the technical team seems stronger and the whole team better organised than last year, which was the worst in the team's history.

Watching long runs pace last day of testing in Barcelona I would expect Williams to be in front of Sauber, Force India and Toro Rosso. I might be wrong but there is no reason why Williams couldn't beat all of them this season. That would make 11th and 12th place on the grid.
My impression is that many people rate FW34 so low because became accustomed last year that Williams is so weak that they don't expect anything more. But the fact is that all things (like resources etc.) considered, 6th best team is where the Williams should be and I think that FW34 is actually somewhere near it. Testing times give no reason why Williams wouldn't have a good chance of being 6th best team this year IMO.

#1671 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 17:05

I agree 15th is no evolution at all.

I also believe the Lotus is a "fake good car" as well, though i would place Force India clearly ahead of Williams to start the season (doesn't mean we can't catch it).

#1672 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 18:25

I am very pleased to see so much optimism. I really hope you're right.

#1673 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 19:35

There is this good article on Williams on auto sport. It looks like that williams is heading into a better season.
If do, Great work to plan this structural shift from Patric and Frank, Sam and all of those who are involved in. Hope this will come to result. Beat Fi

#1674 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:51

I can see nearly only positives for the season ahead. My only question mark is over the drivers. However, if we look at the midfield this season, no one really has terrifically experienced drivers.

Whether the positives translate into better race results and a higher WCC standing, I don't know. Still, the methodical analysis of where things went wrong last season do suggest that significant changes for the better have been made. I'm still not sticking my neck out over testing results though. Roll on Melbourne!

#1675 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:05

I am very pleased to see so much optimism. I really hope you're right.

I hope you realise that you are on a Williams forum, as such I think we are all desperately optimistic on our year coming, we are not being over the top, we are just hoping for a good step forward, I think 15 is a little harsh, as the car has seemed competitive through winter testing, we have covered the most laps out of any 2012 car, the development and testing has been methodical and focused, there seems good harmony which is something that has been lacking for a long time.

Over the years we have shown our development pace, even last year they were throwing new parts at that dud car at every race. Sauber and FI may have quick cars out of the box, but both teams do not have the resources or finance to match Williams. And that will be our key strength. But as everyone has said we had a lot of disadvantages last year, engine, technical director, the car itself, plus a lot of team issues, regarding Patrick Head and Adam Parr, the IPO which would have been a massive distraction to the team, also Wolfe coming into the team as well.

Last year was the clean out, this year the rebuild, with some strong results. but I still do expect to see a good showing in Melbourne and some points as a result.

#1676 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:33

I hope you realise that you are on a Williams forum

Of course, I realize and I repeat, I'll be happy to see the FW34 in the top 10.
But, right now, I think it's not appropriate to make proclamations (both negative and positive) for the simple fact that they themselves [the team] don't know to what standard are the opponents. The only certainties, concerning problems in the slow corners and good tire wear.

In 7 days we'll know more. ;)

Edited by gio66, 10 March 2012 - 10:34.

#1677 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 14:02

I hope you realise that you are on a Williams forum...

A Williams forum? It's not. It's a place to discuss the Williams car, but it doesn't have to be positive.

I'm ever optimistic about Williams, but the opposition are no mugs - FI, STR, Sauber are all very good teams, and they haven't been standing still either...

#1678 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,043 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 16:53

http://www.williamsf...esults_2011.pdf

In case anyone is interested here is a copy of Williams financial statements.

#1679 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:55

New front wing:

http://yfrog.com/z/nu65572105j

Advertisement

#1680 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 744 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:31

New front wing:

Good spot!

:up:

#1681 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:53

That's a view of it I've not see before. Really shows how they work the outer span compared to the inside.

There's a Melbourne preview up on the Williams site, but nothing mentioned here of remarkable interest IMO

#1682 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,409 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:03

Is there anything new comparing to this version tested in Barcelona?
http://f1zoom.co.cc/...a...=204&full=1

#1683 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 14:48

I would imagine not.

#1684 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 15:26

New front wing:

Good angle, let's us see the vanes underneath it.

#1685 Treads

Treads

• 597 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 16:14

http://www.williamsf...esults_2011.pdf

In case anyone is interested here is a copy of Williams financial statements.

Thanks for posting! Fascinating stuff.

So the group made a profit of £7m this year. This includes both the F1 team and the Hybrid Power team – though these accounts are consolidated and doesn’t show the split. ON revenues of c. £104m, that implies the F1 team must have spent less than £97m (and probably quite a bit less given the spending on Hybrid Power). £97m is not a big budget by F1 standards, but it's not tiny either!

#1686 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:08

That's a view of it I've not see before. Really shows how they work the outer span compared to the inside.

There's a Melbourne preview up on the Williams site, but nothing mentioned here of remarkable interest IMO

I think the Renault guy speaks for a great many people when he says seeing a Williams Renault for the first time since 1997 was good.

Let's hope as he says the team is heading in the right direction!

#1687 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,043 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 14:11

Posted Image

Another angle of the front wing, lots of detail there.

#1688 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 744 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 14:50

Any signs of it being an FDFW?

:drunk:

#1689 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,043 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 15:09

Oh yeah, those fins on the bottom are actually ducting from the cockpit, a tube goes to the drivers mouth and he blows really hard into it when he wants the MAFWFD (mouth activated front wing F duct) to stall :p

In the pic above the engine cover seems to have the smaller exit exhaust as well.

Edited by Jambo, 14 March 2012 - 16:27.

#1690 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 744 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 16:46

Oh yeah, those fins on the bottom are actually ducting from the cockpit, a tube goes to the drivers mouth and he blows really hard into it when he wants the MAFWFD (mouth activated front wing F duct) to stall :p

:lol:

I have to say that when I read about the FDFW being activated by the DRS I did think it a bit extreme and the product of a fevered and warped imagination (or the back-of-a beer-mat doodlings of a designer down the pub on a Friday evening).

http://scarbsf1.word...-rear-wing-drs/

Edited by Lord Snooty, 14 March 2012 - 16:47.

#1691 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,043 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 16:56

Was an interesting read, I guess I can understand the reasons, the change in aero balance could be quite extreme during qualifying. Then again Mercedes had one of the most effective DRS systems so maybe they were thrown more out of balance thus need something like this to keep the car drivable.

Wonder how many teams have a version in the works?

#1692 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 744 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:22

Was an interesting read, I guess I can understand the reasons, the change in aero balance could be quite extreme during qualifying. Then again Mercedes had one of the most effective DRS systems so maybe they were thrown more out of balance thus need something like this to keep the car drivable.

Wonder how many teams have a version in the works?

The usual suspects, apparently... RBR, McLaren, Ferrari

It was what prompted my original question around the FW34's front wing....

#1693 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,043 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:06

The Facebook app final revel was today, included a wallpaper of the FW34 and a vid of SFW talking about the upcoming season.

I think some people were expecting more and are probably disappointed by this despite the Williams twitter account stating a few times that they were running the final livery in Barcelona.

#1694 Freytheviking

Freytheviking

• 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:32

Thanks for posting! Fascinating stuff.

So the group made a profit of £7m this year. This includes both the F1 team and the Hybrid Power team – though these accounts are consolidated and doesn’t show the split. ON revenues of c. £104m, that implies the F1 team must have spent less than £97m (and probably quite a bit less given the spending on Hybrid Power). £97m is not a big budget by F1 standards, but it's not tiny either!

hmmm... 7 million profit on 104 million revenue is not impressive for a business unfortunately. I wonder how the other teams do.

#1695 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,334 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 20:33

hmmm... 7 million profit on 104 million revenue is not impressive for a business unfortunately. I wonder how the other teams do.

It's not a proper company though its a sports team and a profit at all is pretty bloody impressive.

#1696 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:08

Looking at Jambo's pic they brought their "closed" exhaust exits to Australia rather than the one they tested on the final day at Barcelona.

#1697 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,409 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:31

The Facebook app final revel was today, included a wallpaper of the FW34 and a vid of SFW talking about the upcoming season.

You can see the logo of new sponsor on this wallpaper. It's Wihuri, on the rear wing. They were personal sponsor of Bottas in GP3. Not a big deal, though, but always better than nothing.
That would make 24th partner of Williams. Last year in March they only had 16 partners AFAIR.

#1698 Peter3hg

Peter3hg

• 194 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:58

~7% profit is actually very impressive. Not many large companies have those kind of returns.

#1699 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,371 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:53

Posted Image

nice pic of Williams rear end.

Advertisement

#1700 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,371 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:55

:lol:

I have to say that when I read about the FDFW being activated by the DRS I did think it a bit extreme and the product of a fevered and warped imagination (or the back-of-a beer-mat doodlings of a designer down the pub on a Friday evening).

http://scarbsf1.word...-rear-wing-drs/

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98035

Rear wing F-duct operated by DRS.

Were starting to compound our acronyms lads, this could get messy.