Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#1801 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:02

The car is good, but the pit wall shouldv told Pastor to cool it down.

I agree, all that time i was a bit nervous.

Advertisement

#1802 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:04

ouch! last lap... that hurts. we are clearly 3rd team on the grid (or 4th, lotus looks good). It is a real shame that points were lost here.

we got lots of TV time today, maybe it will attract a sponsor nor two.

#1803 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:12

Impressed both with the car and Pastor today. I know he ditched it at the end but he fought hard and showed very good pace. Excited for the high speed corners in Sepang now.

#1804 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:12

Williams is back with a pretty good car :up:

The drivers though, bleh.. Maldonado is fast but is an accident waiting to happen, Senna.. no comment.

#1805 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:13

Senna.. no comment.

He was a punchbag for the entire race, you really can't judge him on this race.

#1806 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,570 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:14

I do regret the crash, as how long will it be until Mercedes and Ferrari get their act together fully? That's a decent haul gone, and other midfield runners have taken them.

Excessive tyre wear is not easy to rectify. Mercedes could not do it last year and are still struggling. I don't see Ferrarri solving the problem without a major redesign. Sepang will be an absolute bitch for all the teams with tyre wear issues.
As for the Maldonado crash, I did not see it as I only had 5 live commentary. Was it simple driver error? With a mile to go its best to settle for position.

#1807 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:20

He went on the grass and lost the car, pure driver error.

I don't understand why people are killing Senna for getting crashed into.

#1808 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:23

Maldonado's mistakes were rookie like. I really hope he can cut them out going forward.

#1809 ColchesterF1

ColchesterF1

• 209 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:23

Getting crashed into twice...

#1810 KoezhVukotic

KoezhVukotic

• 235 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:26

Again he got crashed into, he did not crash into other cars. Almost t-boned by Ricciardo and then run off the track by Massa

#1811 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,337 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:29

He went on the grass and lost the car, pure driver error.

I don't understand why people are killing Senna for getting crashed into.

No, he didn't touch the grass, I think he simply put too much power down while he was over the kerb.

#1812 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,974 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:42

No, he didn't touch the grass, I think he simply put too much power down while he was over the kerb.

that's what I saw too, not on grass. looked abit odd, but wasnt really that close behind Alonso so yea maybe early acceleration.
what a shame, his pace was very strong. They were 3rd or 4th fastest in this race. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

#1813 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:43

I think the team missed the safe hands of Barrichello this weekend.

#1814 Nigol

Nigol

• 1,033 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:45

He took more kerb than usual, and you can't just go full throttle while on it. Rookie mistake, just as bad as touching the grass imo.

#1815 dtc

dtc

• 82 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:20

Well done Williams! Good to see they have a good package this year and good to have them back fighting with Ferrari! I am still wishing it would have been Kimi on the wheel even though Lotus seems to be doing ok. Maldonado's pace was a big surprise today, his mistake not so big..:(

#1816 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,570 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:31

We don't want to dig up that hoary chestnut. Barrchello was safe because he was slow and risk averse. To get where they are now required a substancial injection of money. Lets wait till we get the press release from the team before we crucify Maldonado.

#1817 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 353 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:38

The same safe pair of hands that binned it last year at this very same track? :confused:

#1818 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,182 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:40

Impressive first race for Williams.. a part of me is skeptical as we all know Ferrari will improve.. can Williams improve as fast as Ferrari?

Still.. it was a good race for the team pace wise.

#1819 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:41

Surprisingly quick, but what a fail from Maldonado. Seems like Williams for the first time in years made a step forwards.

Advertisement

#1820 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,478 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:03

Impressive first race for Williams.. a part of me is skeptical as we all know Ferrari will improve.. can Williams improve as fast as Ferrari?

Most likely they can't, but the two outlooks are different. Ferrari are facing re-designs (OK, maybe a stretch that) whereas Williams are fine-tuning.

#1821 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,337 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:14

The commentators mentioned that Williams didn't bring an upgrade to Melbourne, so the car is largely untapped, hopefully they have a big upgrade (as the Melbourne one generally is) scheduled shortly.

I'm sure they can pick up more points, but that was a big haul gone missing - will be hard to get close to the top 5.

It's also a shame that everyone here is celebrating almost coming 5th.. It's a good first step but we shouldn't be celebrating anything less than a win.

Edited by Pilla, 18 March 2012 - 10:15.

#1822 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

• 48 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 14:00

The team made a huge step forward this year. Looking hastily at the times sheet, it seems that we are 3rd fastest, only 2-3 tenths slower than Red Bull. Lotus was hard to decipher, but I think we are about equal at this stage.

#1823 PistonHead

PistonHead

• 24 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 14:04

Delighted with the potential this car is showing. Still not entirely comfortable with having Coughlan on board but can't deny it's bringing results.

#1824 teejay

teejay

• 3,594 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 14:23

So happy, and yet sad, for Williams today.

To seem them fighting closer to the front then they have for some time, awesome.

The last lap was heart breaking.... but the promise and potential is there.

#1825 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 14:31

I wonder why we're the slowest team on the S2? But then the car is the second fastest one on S1? At least that bodes well for the track with fast corners.

No, it's the opposite. S1 have slow corners, which together with Maldonado incredible skill in Monaco, will maybe put Williams in Top 5 for qualifying in there. :D

Maldonado did too many mistakes today, this car had podium pace.

No. Mclaren and RBR were clearly faster. Rosberg was holding Webber and Pastor caught them but when Nico pitted, Webber quickly pulled away from Pastor. Lotus is probably quicker too but Williams is certainly faster than Ferrari, Mercedes and maybe even Sauber(who had problems in Q2 despite being faster than Williams in Q1 and being held in the race)

#1826 sniper80

sniper80

• 519 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 14:44

Good to see Williams is on the way up. Let's hope Senna can bring in the points at the coming races, as he's much more solid driver than Pastor. He's way too agressive, as we saw last year on a lot of tracks, and now... again...

#1827 Nemo29E

Nemo29E

• 124 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:01

I do not think this had anything to do with aggression it was a mistake, he said he wasnt pushing any harder and was settling for the place behind Alonso. Still ashame for him and williams but other than a couple of costly race rrors he showed very strongly all weekend.

#1828 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,797 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:10

Pastor was very impressive today, shame about the ending but he had good pace!

Senna needs to wake up or Pastor will really embarrass him.

#1829 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,436 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 16:34

It's also a shame that everyone here is celebrating almost coming 5th.. It's a good first step but we shouldn't be celebrating anything less than a win.

You're kidding me, last year they were fighting Caterhams this year they're fighting Ferrari's, there's plenty to celebrate.

I think Maldonados getting too hard a time though, having watched the replays he didn't take any more kerb than Alonso, it was just a freak accident.

#1830 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,337 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 16:34

I think the FW34 has a lot of room for improvement on traction out of the corners. On the medium/high speed ones it is bloody fast. Let's see what it can do on the second sector of Sepang.

To me today it looked the 3rd fastest car of the field, just half a second per lap off the Red Bull, which is amazing considering that last year the FW33 was always 2.5-3 seconds slower than the RB7.

Edited by Francesc, 18 March 2012 - 16:38.

#1831 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 17:01

No. Mclaren and RBR were clearly faster. Rosberg was holding Webber and Pastor caught them but when Nico pitted, Webber quickly pulled away from Pastor. Lotus is probably quicker too but Williams is certainly faster than Ferrari, Mercedes and maybe even Sauber(who had problems in Q2 despite being faster than Williams in Q1 and being held in the race)

The Williams was maybe the 3rd best car around Melbourne, fifth fastest lap of the race for Maldonado even held up by Alonso, it was faster than the Sauber in qualy(Williams didn't use softs in Q1 btw) and the race imo, Koba on a clear track didn't have anything on Maldonado.
Lotus is a bit trickier, but they aren't in another planet either, Williams and Lotus are in the same ballpark from what i've seen here.

The FW34 has quite an impressive corner entry, Pastor could brake very late and the front was turning in beautifully, but it was losing a bit of time to Alonso on traction out of slow corners, which meant Pastor couldn't pass Alonso in the DRS zone...

#1832 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 658 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 17:04

Nice double DNF for Williams. :rotfl: Maldonado is quick but isn't aware of the 'bigger picture.' 6th place points were in the bag today and would have been a huge morale booster for the opening round of 2012. Would have gone into Malaysia not only with the knowledge that the car is fast, but with the pressure of scoring the first points of the year already put to bed. Nice going!!

#1833 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 17:18

Nice double DNF for Williams. :rotfl: Maldonado is quick but isn't aware of the 'bigger picture.' 6th place points were in the bag today and would have been a huge morale booster for the opening round of 2012. Would have gone into Malaysia not only with the knowledge that the car is fast, but with the pressure of scoring the first points of the year already put to bed. Nice going!!

Enjoy!

#1834 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:05

Dear Pastor,

DonĀ“t change anything about your racing style and agressivness but please next time 5 laps to the end tune down and bring the car home.
It was such a great feeling today 7 laps into the GP seeing a Williams in the top 10!!! I was like whooah!!

A gutted Williams F1 fan.

ps. and be careful with having Adam Parr hanging around your girlfriend... !

Edited by glorius&victorius, 18 March 2012 - 18:07.

#1835 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:26

You should be more like your guy Barrichello and stop being so bitter about the past and look to the future.

Best of luck to Rubens who is a great driver (could still be here if not for financial reasons, yes) and a great guy.

#1836 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:33

I don't know why, but with about 2-3 laps left I thought we're either going to see Maldonado in 5th or in the wall. Lo-and behold three minutes later there's Number 18, stopped and devoid of several bits of car. Such a shame, but Maldonado was up there (yes, we'll forgive him the earlier voyage through the gravel at Turn 6) and the car had good race pace. Melbourne can often be a false barometer (the FW33 wasn't bad here last year) so let's hope it's firmly in the midfield. The big question is how crucial will those 8 points be in the WCC at the end of the year...

#1837 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:48

I don't know why, but with about 2-3 laps left I thought we're either going to see Maldonado in 5th or in the wall. Lo-and behold three minutes later there's Number 18, stopped and devoid of several bits of car. Such a shame, but Maldonado was up there (yes, we'll forgive him the earlier voyage through the gravel at Turn 6) and the car had good race pace. Melbourne can often be a false barometer (the FW33 wasn't bad here last year) so let's hope it's firmly in the midfield. The big question is how crucial will those 8 points be in the WCC at the end of the year...

Maldonado is fast, but (at this point in his career) unstable as well.
I was nervous with him so close to Alonso near the end and hoping that he would give it up.

Regarding those 8 points, if the car is always as fast as in Melbourne, not a big loss, if it isn't...

Not a big loss yet, but those things acumulate, and Williams needs to start putting points in the bank as early as possible.

#1838 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 19:00

Great race of Maldonado :up:

And I think he was right to charge Alonso to the dire, bcs its not everyday that you can overtake him.

I think he did a great job pursuing Alonso under his turbulent air for several laps.

#1839 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 658 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 21:01

You should be more like your guy Barrichello and stop being so bitter about the past and look to the future.

Absolutely I'm bitter. Granted, Williams have never shown high regard for any of their drivers (even their champions!), so it was wrong of me to expect more, but they definitely strung Rubens along at the end of last season. I don't know how up front they were with him (or not), but I think they handled it rather poorly.

Best of luck to Rubens who is a great driver (could still be here if not for financial reasons, yes) and a great guy.

+1. And that's why it's such a shame. I love F1, but the more I think about it, I'm glad he'll be getting a new challenge in IndyCar. It'll be nice for him to drive a competitive car. It's a shame his F1 career ended in the FW33, with people thinking he was "past it." Rubens would've finished in the Top 10 today no problem.

Advertisement

#1840 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 109 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 22:13

I notice that there is always a lot of Anti Bruno Senna feeling on these forums. I personally think he is a good driver and he was quick today and he would have been in the points but for the two crashes.

We should not hold the fact that he took over from Rubens Barrichello against him. It was not his decision.

I feel that he will outscore Pastor Maldonado this year as he scored more points than him when they were in GP2 together. Remember that Bruno Senna was a success in GP2.

I would admit though that he does seem to be in alot of accidents.

#1841 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 22:36

Well, that was a let down but having now had half a day to think about it (and a bottle of rioja over dinner) I'm actually pretty positive about our start to the season.

The car is good.

Bruno was a unlucky in qually so ended up out of position for the race and then had a fairly torrid time with other drivers banging into him. Next time he will be better prep'd for qually and, with a bit of luck, fewer incidents in the race. Pastor did well; a few errors here and there and he probably was pushing too hard in the last 4 or 5 laps but I'm not going to complain at a driver giving it a go and contesting for places and points, particularly when he was battling with Alonso in a Ferrari.

So, while it could have been better I'm not disheartened and am looking forward to Malaysia.

#1842 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,235 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 22:48

Well done Williams. So glad they appear to have made a decent step forwards. To be matching Ferrari pace at the opening GP after last season is mighty impressive. So happy about the grid this year, amazing teams and drivers right through the field. As good as his drive was today I still have my doubts about Maldonado's aggressive tactics, I can't cheer for someone who appears not care wether he makes contact with people or not (Massa also). Hopefully Bruno can have more luck next time out and get some points to prove he's worth the seat.

#1843 Starish

Starish

• 985 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 23:21

Frank and Parick must have felt really relieved just knowing the car is good enough to tackle the mid fielders.

#1844 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 23:26

Frank and Parick must have felt really relieved just knowing the car is good enough to tackle the mid fielders.

If by 'midfielders' you mean running strongly in 6th and pushing hard at Alonso in a Ferrari, then yes, no doubt they were relieved.

#1845 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,600 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 23:34

:up:

#1846 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 23:37

If by 'midfielders' you mean running strongly in 6th and pushing hard at Alonso in a Ferrari, then yes, no doubt they were relieved.

Im happy to have witnessed that as well, but lets not forget at that time one Lotus qualified P18 and was still making its way ahead, 2 quick mercedes cars got various problems and Grosjean, in the other Lotus, was out. Then the Ferrari is not gonna have tyre eating problems all season.

The car is great but opportunities like today need to be cashed in, as they are not gonna happen each and every race. Maldona was impressive but Senna was not. And I blame the pitwall for not coaching Maldonado better.

Lets keep fingers crossed for next week, a real track to test the FW34 better.

#1847 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 23:58

I hope that pastor won't change his driving style.His aggressive driving today kept me at the edge of my seat for most of the race. I think f1 needs more drivers like him and less drivers who are reserved and calculated. One might say they have the smarter approach to racing, but it is more boring from my point of view

#1848 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 23:59

Absolutely I'm bitter.

Rubens isn't, he would love to be here but now he is looking for a new start and being gracious (like he always is) towards the team, Senna, and Maldonado.

Trolling isn't the answer.

#1849 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:01

Doesnt have to be boring. But in the last lap of the race, with worn tyres, in a team that needs points above all it was really just unnecessary and a bit stupid.

Hell learn from this, though.

#1850 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:06

Doesnt have to be boring. But in the last lap of the race, with worn tyres, in a team that needs points above all it was really just unnecessary and a bit stupid.

Hell learn from this, though.

Exactly.
I'm one of the guys who was calling for him to cool off.
I'm not advocating that he doesn't even give it a go at Alonso, but as soon as it became apparent that Alonso had just enough to hold on, stop, wait a minute and let's see if his older tyres fall off in the end.