Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#1951 the9th

the9th

• 1,544 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 21:52

Bottas did a solid job today, and looks like a promising prospect, that's all you can take from it, the fact that he did a faster lap than Pastor doesn't translate to he would outqualify him and beat him in the race.

Pastor has an whole weekend ahead of him and Bottas has only FP1, so he's giving it all in that one hour and a half as he should.

Advertisement

#1952 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:02

Exactly.

#1953 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:59

In a way I´m sorry for the team, it seems as they got a god car this year. Frank backed out on Kimi, a big mistake, even if we think Kimi isn´t the best driver on the grid.

#1954 MacLarenV6

MacLarenV6

• 95 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:10

http://www.fia.com/e...sion2-times.pdf

Long run pace looks very decent :up:

Long run looks faster than Mercedes.

#1955 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:41

Sorry to say. Whitout good drivers it´s a downward slope. With the new engine this year, good, but sorry.

#1956 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:38

Long runs look great, apparently just started raining there so unless it dries quick, as it can do in Malaysia, there will be no low fuel runs before qualifying.

#1957 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:07

In a way I´m sorry for the team, it seems as they got a god car this year. Frank backed out on Kimi, a big mistake, even if we think Kimi isn´t the best driver on the grid.

You are funny :lol:

#1958 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:04

The car looks good again, Maldonado was awesome on old hard tires, he didn't improve on mediums at the end for whatever reason.

#1959 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:29

The car looks good again, Maldonado was awesome on old hard tires, he didn't improve on mediums at the end for whatever reason.

Chaves, Chaves, Chaves...

It started to drizzle in the end... both Jenson and Motta failled to improve.

Advertisement

#1960 tractionman

tractionman

• 169 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:51

Decent effort from Maldonando but Senna needs to improve on light fuel....

#1961 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:06

Well MAL obviously has damage to the car. Can they replace the damaged parts?

I'm disappointed neither driver was in Q3. Fingers crossed for good starts that lead a good race tomorrow. Heavy fuel runs looked quite decent yesterday.

#1962 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:07

Dissapointing performance imo, the car had Q3 potential.

Can they fix Maldonado's car for tommorow? it had a broken barge board and it looked like it had some vibration even going slowly.

#1963 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,415 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:07

Times were so close today. Pastor nearly made it in. I wonder how much damage the car had. Hopefully Bruno will not get crashed into by half the field tomorrow. If the race pace is good there could be a good haul of points.

#1964 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,655 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:51

Its possible to repair damaged Bodywork under Parc Ferme rules. I would not be too downcast, its a long race and Sepang allows a car out of position to make up places.

#1965 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

• 48 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:58

I did not watch qualy.
Any reason why MAL's Q2 was 0.150s slower than his P3 time?

#1966 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:01

I did not watch qualy.

Higher air temps, Maldonado said the car loses performance when it's so hot.

Edited by Francesc, 24 March 2012 - 11:03.

#1967 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,810 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:03

Dissapointing performance imo, the car had Q3 potential.

Can they fix Maldonado's car for tommorow? it had a broken barge board and it looked like it had some vibration even going slowly.

Of course they can. The FIA won't let damaged cars into the race. They can't change setup and stuff, but they are allowed to fix minor issues, like this barge board damage.

#1968 Peter3hg

Peter3hg

• 196 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:06

I did not watch qualy.

The car was damaged from his rallycross. How much this affected his time is anyone's guess.

#1969 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,503 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:09

A point or two should be on offer for Maldonado tomorrow, 'cause they were showing very, very good race-pace in FP2.

#1970 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,810 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:11

The car was damaged from his rallycross. How much this affected his time is anyone's guess.

I think Maldonado is happier being 11th than 9th of 10th. At least now he can choose his tyres and he also saves an extra set of mediums.

#1971 tractionman

tractionman

• 169 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:13

Senna saying that he messed up the final corner on his quickest lap and should have been 2-3 tenths quicker. http://www.totalrace...s-para-aprender. He really needs to sort out his qualifying else one suspects Bottas will be in before too long. The long run pace did look good yesterday so his race should be decent if he does not get skewered again.

#1972 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:15

The car really looks good and has potential, but drivers are making one mistake after another... As expected...

Edited by marcoferrari, 24 March 2012 - 11:16.

#1973 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:20

Bruno is not that bad, he's ahead of both Force Indias, a Torro Rosso and a Sauber. But it's simply Maldonado who is doing better job.

#1974 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:27

Bruno is not that bad, he's ahead of both Force Indias, a Torro Rosso and a Sauber. But it's simply Maldonado who is doing better job.

No, the FW34 is simply better that those cars you mentioned, and today he's ahead of them by miracle looking at the gap.

His race pace is on the level of Maldonado, but he's struggling in qualifying.

#1975 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,877 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 16:34

having massa near the williams on the grid is the only thing that makes me nervous for tomorrow. massa will be over driving to save his job and will probably wind up wrecking somebody. hopefully it won't be the two williams.

Edited by paulogman, 24 March 2012 - 16:35.

#1976 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 109 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 16:49

I'm a massive fan of Bruno Senna. He is my favourite driver. BUT I have noticed that since he started driving for a decent team (lotus and Williams) he seems very accident prone. I can't think of a race which hasn't had an accident or a drive through or an unscheduled pitstop. Even the race at Monza he was involved in an accident.

He is my fave driver but I am starting to get worried that he may be an accident and incident magnet.

Am I being paranoia??

#1977 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,505 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 16:58

Maldonado's made a couple of race errors in Melbourne and now a qually error in Malaysia, I hope this isn't the start of a pattern. Williams seem to have made a big step with the car and they can't throw away points at the start of the year that might be on offer.

The only good thing is that with Sutil and Bottas available in the wings at least there are options if the full timers need changed. What effect that would have on sponsorship though is another question.

However, with Coughlan in the team already they would need to think twice before taking Sutil or they'll become some kind of F1 remedial school...

#1978 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 17:42

Petroltorque wrote he is willing to bet on Williams beating Sauber in WCC and Maldo beating Checo. I said we have to wait for Sepang to see which car is quicker (and you probably can guess on who I would bet in Motta vs. Mendoza battle ;)). Here we are in Malaysia and things are looking quite clear...

Williams is 5th quickest car in quali trim, but both drivers can't extract its potential, so today in Q3 we saw one Ferrari and one Sauber, both cars at least few tenths slower than FW34.

Pastor in FP3 on hards - 1:37.455
Pastor in Q2 on mediums - 1:37.589

Meanwhile every team, except HRT, went at least 4 tenths quicker in quali than in FPs. Williams, or I should rather say Maldo, went 1 tenth slower on faster tyres :rolleyes:. Bruno - no comment, 0.8-1 second off the pace, pathetic performance once again.

I guess the team is missing Rubens already. I think he would make quite a difference in setting car up (remember, engineers preferred Rubens over Bruno for 2012), but also would be safe and fast pair of hands. Yes, he made some mistakes last year and his motivation was questionable, but with such a quick car he would be motivated and enjoying F1. Well, Williams chose "quality" drivers instead and results of this choice are clear.

#1979 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 18:04

I guess the team is missing Rubens already. I think he would make quite a difference in setting car up (remember, engineers preferred Rubens over Bruno for 2012), but also would be safe and fast pair of hands. Yes, he made some mistakes last year and his motivation was questionable, but with such a quick car he would be motivated and enjoying F1. Well, Williams chose "quality" drivers instead and results of this choice are clear.

I don't know why everybody is moaning for Rubens not being in Williams. Last year he was matched by a rookie. I'm all for driver change in Williams, but Rubens would be near the bottom of the list. He is maybe a safe pair of hands, but also somewhat meh for the last two years. Slow in quali (and a rookie mistake here and there), not enough aggression in the race, tossing steering wheel on track, being all whiney. He is one of the more likeable personalities on the grid (as opposed to Pastor), but he is past his prime.

It is a real shame Williams wasn't able to acquire Kimi. I don't think Sutil would be a great choice, but some ppl here rate him highly. Alguersuari would be a good choice.

But so far I'm satisfied watching Maldonado and Williams this year. I think nobody can deny that he is fast, as nobody can deny that he is error prone. Never a dull moment with that guy on track.

As for Bruno Senna... so far he is a dissapointment. But I'm willing to wait a few more races before passing judgment.

Advertisement

#1980 kenny

kenny

• 2,028 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 18:06

I wonder if williams focused more on race setup... I guess we will know tomorrow
Their race pace seems a lot better than qual pace... Looking forward to the race
Some rain would be nice  ;)

#1981 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 18:11

Petroltorque wrote he is willing to bet on Williams beating Sauber in WCC and Maldo beating Checo. I said we have to wait for Sepang to see which car is quicker (and you probably can guess on who I would bet in Motta vs. Mendoza battle ;)). Here we are in Malaysia and things are looking quite clear...

Williams is 5th quickest car in quali trim, but both drivers can't extract its potential, so today in Q3 we saw one Ferrari and one Sauber, both cars at least few tenths slower than FW34.

Meanwhile every team, except HRT, went at least 4 tenths quicker in quali than in FPs. Williams, or I should rather say Maldo, went 1 tenth slower on faster tyres :rolleyes:. Bruno - no comment, 0.8-1 second off the pace, pathetic performance once again.

I don t agree with you very often, but this time it has some sense...

#1982 KoezhVukotic

KoezhVukotic

• 235 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 18:26

You are forgetting that Maldonado had a damaged car in Q2. I agree that Senna was a tad disappointing in qualifying but it can't be easy with losing FP1

#1983 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 19:02

Who was behind the wheel, when he took too much kerb, went off and damaged his car? Pastor or someone else?

Nice excuse for Bruno, I guess we will hear it another 14 times this year or is it reserved only for days like today, when he was slower than teammate? What a shame last weekend BOTTAS wasn't driving in FP1, it would explain why BS was also 0.8-1 second slower than car's capabilities in Melbourne.

Drivers let down the team today, there's no question about it. I have a strange feeling it will happen again, again and again, but that's what Williams chose and now they have to face the consequences.

#1984 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,877 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 19:04

I'm willing to cut both pay drivers some slack.
no one expected williams to be anywhere near as quick as they are considering the pile of shit they had last season.
this season has to be considered a year for the whole team to gel and become a more relevant operation.
under sam michael williams were building poor chassis and simply throwing the kitchen sink at them to try to find some pace.
this new team under coughlan has only had from the end of last season to work together.
during testing they have focused on genuine improvements not glory laps.
the quali in melbourne was probably a bit lucky and they should have not made it to q3 their either.
things went better in the race.
to go from a car that was awful everywhere bar monaco, to a car that is knocking on the door for q3 already and showing points scoring race pace is an awesome step.
williams was always on screen in melbourne, and has gotten lots of attention in the sessions I have seen in malaysia. that has got to be a good selling point for attracting a major sponsor.
maldonado being a bit reckless and exciting will only attract more attention. the senna name will as well.

#1985 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 19:19

As a Williams fan I am just so pleased they have sorted their technical department out and produced a much better car. Sure the drivers aren't on everybody's shopping list, but in the financial state the team is/was in they had to make sacrifices.

On the plus side Bruno was closer to Pastor, for whatever reason. I just hope they have nice clean races, no rain and hopefully a bunch of points.

#1986 KoezhVukotic

KoezhVukotic

• 235 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 19:34

Who was behind the wheel, when he took too much kerb, went off and damaged his car? Pastor or someone else?

Nice excuse for Bruno, I guess we will hear it another 14 times this year or is it reserved only for days like today, when he was slower than teammate? What a shame last weekend BOTTAS wasn't driving in FP1, it would explain why BS was also 0.8-1 second slower than car's capabilities in Melbourne.

Drivers let down the team today, there's no question about it. I have a strange feeling it will happen again, again and again, but that's what Williams chose and now they have to face the consequences.

Oh I know it was his fault, I was just explaining why he didn't go faster than in practice.
It wasn't an excuse. I said it wouldn't have helped (which is true) but still said he has been slightly disappointing in qualifying and hasn't shown yet the potential we saw in Spa or Brazil qualifying. However being slower than Maldonado in qualifying isn't the end of the world, he has shown he is a good qualifier and they seem to have similar pace in the races which is more important anyway these days. They will come good, don't you worry  ;)

#1987 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,655 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:01

Since this post was directed at me here is my reply. Apart from Maldonado's error he would have been comfortably in Q3. I'm putting my neck on the line and state Maldo will finish ahead of Perez tomorrow.

#1988 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:48

Since this post was directed at me here is my reply. Apart from Maldonado's error he would have been comfortably in Q3. I'm putting my neck on the line and state Maldo will finish ahead of Perez tomorrow.

You can count me on that too. But as Mastah has so much hate over Bruno, I can bet that Bruno will finish ahead of Perez in this race and over the 2012 championship.
:cool:

#1989 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,415 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:50

I'll join in on that bet too. :cool:

#1990 rayburn

rayburn

• 187 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 22:26

I will just be relieved to see Maldo finish tomorrow without any more drama, to be ahead of Perez would be a bonus, but not if he finishes 20th!

I think we are in for an exciting ride in 2012, the only problem is some of that excitement might be in the gravel trap....

Whatever, I wish both drivers the best for tomorrow, and hope that the weather doesn't produce any freakish conditions.

#1991 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 22:51

Maldonado's run in FP3 was absolute mind blowing :eek:

1 P 13:03:43
2 31:32.440
3 1:38.538
4 1:55.242
5 1:38.118
6 1:54.881
7 1:37.455

He did a 1,37,4 on used hard tires in 7 lap stint. I'm expecting him to finish ahead of even Alonso in the race, given that he doesn'r screw it up again

#1992 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 00:27

Honestly get over Rubens, he is gone, move on, sick of hearing about him, i get your head out of the sand. Williams has got the drivers it has because of there performance last year, to think that 1 driver can make such a big difference to car set up, when Williams has 500 employees, simulators, testing rigs, is pathetic, you think they don;t throw millions of different of solutions in the simulator, as they say a car is 98% setup before it even hits the race track, the last 2% is why they have 50 employees at the track, to get the maximum.

Think you forget Rubens was not that good last year against Maldo, and he wasn't that good against a rather disappointing Hulk. Move on, if you love him so much go watch indycars and not F1. Worst thing Williams did was get Rubens and the best thing they did is get rid of him and Sam. If he was so good at developing a car then what happended to last years car, a car that he had a year worth of input in.

Oh yeah and Rubens is so good he qualified 14 in indycar and another funny fact is he finished behind his two other teammates. Seems that his F1 days are following into his indycar career. He was always just a very fortunate average driver, good in a good car, crap in a crap car which apart from his Ferrari days was most of the time. but never better than his team mate in the same machinery. But he definitely was a winner for blaming everything and everyone else for his poor performances.

As for Maldo's pace, I'm sure the fact we saw things flying off the car in qualify may be a reason for that. The lap when he went off he was on a flyer and had two green boxes in the first two sectors, so your point is pointless, and baseless.

Edited by GSF1, 25 March 2012 - 00:44.

#1993 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 00:33

Last weekend Williams was comfortably quicker than the Sauber, as long as we get a good start and don;t fall back, we should be very competitive and beat Perez, and a fading Merc or Ferrari must be an even better chance of more points, to see both cars in the top ten would be nice, so my prediction is Maldo 7, Bruno 10

#1994 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 00:44

Its refreshing to see Williams nearer to the front, goodluck in the race and I hope Bruno can get over his 1 lap dramas soon, must remember though Pastor has already had a year at Williams and the car Bruno was driving was nothing like the Williams.

#1995 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,690 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:00

Honestly get over Rubens, he is gone, move on, sick of hearing about him, i get your head out of the sand. Williams has got the drivers it has because of there performance last year, to think that 1 driver can make such a big difference to car set up, when Williams has 500 employees, simulators, testing rigs, is pathetic, you think they don;t throw millions of different of solutions in the simulator, as they say a car is 98% setup before it even hits the race track, the last 2% is why they have 50 employees at the track, to get the maximum.

Think you forget Rubens was not that good last year against Maldo, and he wasn't that good against a rather disappointing Hulk. Move on, if you love him so much go watch indycars and not F1. Worst thing Williams did was get Rubens and the best thing they did is get rid of him and Sam. If he was so good at developing a car then what happended to last years car, a car that he had a year worth of input in.

Oh yeah and Rubens is so good he qualified 14 in indycar and another funny fact is he finished behind his two other teammates. Seems that his F1 days are following into his indycar career. He was always just a very fortunate average driver, good in a good car, crap in a crap car which apart from his Ferrari days was most of the time. but never better than his team mate in the same machinery. But he definitely was a winner for blaming everything and everyone else for his poor performances.

As for Maldo's pace, I'm sure the fact we saw things flying off the car in qualify may be a reason for that. The lap when he went off he was on a flyer and had two green boxes in the first two sectors, so your point is pointless, and baseless.

Starting good here. Falling more and more off.

Rubens looked quite good in 2010. People might have expected more of Hulkenberg. But then again, Rubens wasn't exactly bad against Button... And if you are using the argument that drivers doesn't matter that much because of all the other stuff going on in a team (like you do in the start). Then you can't put it against him later on. Decide on one thing. Then stick to it.

This is Rubens first IndyCar race. His first real race outside F1 since 1992. What could one expect? Blitzing the field? It's not like he is in the best team... I would also say that Barrichello was good in a good car. Great in bad/average cars. As he proved with Jordan and Stewart. A 6th overall in the 94 Jordan isn't exactly a bad effort... And of all the teammates he's had. Only Button and Schumacher managed to beat him. And Rubens was better than Button in 2008. So "never better than his team mate" is totally wrong.

Of course he had two green boxes. It was his first flyer of that session.

#1996 GSF1

GSF1

• 98 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:05

Starting good here. Falling more and more off.

Rubens looked quite good in 2010. People might have expected more of Hulkenberg. But then again, Rubens wasn't exactly bad against Button... And if you are using the argument that drivers doesn't matter that much because of all the other stuff going on in a team (like you do in the start). Then you can't put it against him later on. Decide on one thing. Then stick to it.

This is Rubens first IndyCar race. His first real race outside F1 since 1992. What could one expect? Blitzing the field? It's not like he is in the best team... I would also say that Barrichello was good in a good car. Great in bad/average cars. As he proved with Jordan and Stewart. A 6th overall in the 94 Jordan isn't exactly a bad effort... And of all the teammates he's had. Only Button and Schumacher managed to beat him. And Rubens was better than Button in 2008. So "never better than his team mate" is totally wrong.

Of course he had two green boxes. It was his first flyer of that session.

To be honest, i don;t rate Rubens, never have and never will, that's all I have to say about him. He came to Williams full of hopes, dreams and promises and just like Sam he took us backwards. Williams is a better team without him than with him. Good luck to him in Indycar, but he will be a bridesmaid just like his F1 career was.

And I just get sick of people who want him back. As you said.."This is Rubens first IndyCar race. His first real race outside F1 since 1992. What could one expect? Blitzing the field? It's not like he is in the best team..." now lets give these two drivers the same opportunity as you are willing to give to RB. RB has far more experience than both of those drivers, and F1 is a more difficult business than indycars. And lets also not forget that indycars are all new this year, so everyone is starting off at the same sort of baseline.

#1997 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,690 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:16

And I just get sick of people who want him back. As you said.."This is Rubens first IndyCar race. His first real race outside F1 since 1992. What could one expect? Blitzing the field? It's not like he is in the best team..." now lets give these two drivers the same opportunity as you are willing to give to RB. RB has far more experience than both of those drivers, and F1 is a more difficult business than indycars. And lets also not forget that indycars are all new this year, so everyone is starting off at the same sort of baseline.

These two? Williams drivers, or KV-drivers?

Anyway, doesn't really matter. The sole reason I wanted RB to stay in F1, was to keep Schumacher from getting the "most races" and "most seasons" records. I'm a big Senna-fan, and I don't care who is in the other seat, as long as he/she does his/her work good.
Regarding the IndyCars, new cars, but still more like the old IndyCars than F1. I expect RB to be better than he is now later on. But I have no believe that he will win the champ.

I think you kinda shot at the wrong guy here. I'm no big RB-fan, I just think you were overly unfair. It's a fair thing to not rate drivers, but back it up with arguments that actually holds up, and makes justice :)

#1998 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:20

Last weekend Williams was comfortably quicker than the Sauber, as long as we get a good start and don;t fall back, we should be very competitive and beat Perez, and a fading Merc or Ferrari must be an even better chance of more points, to see both cars in the top ten would be nice, so my prediction is Maldo 7, Bruno 10

No it wasn't :rolleyes:

Maldonado's best time was in more rubbered track in Q3 and it was only 2 tenths faster than Kobayashi's Q1 lap. If Sauber didn't screw up strategy in Q2, Williams might have been beaten by Sauber again as this weekend.

Edited by Kubiccia, 25 March 2012 - 03:20.

#1999 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:22

Petroltorque wrote he is willing to bet on Williams beating Sauber in WCC and Maldo beating Checo. I said we have to wait for Sepang to see which car is quicker (and you probably can guess on who I would bet in Motta vs. Mendoza battle ;)).

Are you taking that bet? or just talking crap to annoy people?

Edited by Sevach, 25 March 2012 - 03:22.

Advertisement

#2000 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:22

So will Bruno try a 2 stopper? Knowing his luck he will and then get hit again on the first lap!