Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#2001 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,398 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:17

Changing conditions, tough strategy calls. Not exactly Williams strong suit :well:

Advertisement

#2002 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:30

So will Bruno try a 2 stopper? Knowing his luck he will and then get hit again on the first lap!

Well the rain has ruined that but something did happen to him on the first lap, again.

#2003 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:30

Edit: Sigh. It had to be the 2 Williams coming together. It's going to be a long day for the blue team.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 25 March 2012 - 08:37.

#2004 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:43

Changing conditions, tough strategy calls. Not exactly Williams strong suit :well:

Always late... it's like a tradition :rolleyes:

#2005 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:45

Edit: Sigh. It had to be the 2 Williams coming together. It's going to be a long day for the blue team.

Both cars still in it, let's hope the race gets going again! Bruno mid-judged that, hopefully pastor has no damage

#2006 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:46

Both cars still in it, let's hope the race gets going again! Bruno mid-judged that, hopefully pastor has no damage

Yeah. Lets refresh and have a great 2nd part of the race.

#2007 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:50

He was doing ok on inters, going by what happened in Monaco with Hamilton they can even fix some issues if there is a problem.

#2008 madrocker

madrocker

• 114 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:58

What happened between Bruno and Pastor?

#2009 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:00

I'm not sure but Jaime Alguesuari on BBC 5 Live found it "hilarious" seeing them coming together. :rolleyes:

#2010 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,368 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:09

Really Senna, what was he thinking?? :mad:

#2011 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

• 49 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:34

I think MAL missed the Williams box and had to pit in the next lap to change to inters :lol:

#2012 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:35

Dreadful race so far. MAL missed box in pits, had to come in two laps in a row :cry:

#2013 riano

riano

• 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:55

well done Bruno, should silence a few critics......

#2014 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,368 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:00

well done Bruno, should silence a few critics......

Well done what? His mistake hitting Maldonado on the first lap was unacceptable.

And Maldonado awful, horrible. I've never seen a driving missing his pit like he did.

#2015 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:01

Such a mixed race. So much bad to start. Contact between the drivers, Senna dead last after needing a new nose.

MAL misses his box, has to pit 2 laps in a row. Senna needs an extra pit stop too.

However, race pace in the drying and then dry conditions was very good. Some great passes by Senna and MAL, although the latter couldn't get past HULK and then Vergne who he was much faster than.

Then finally a massive engine problem.

The team just can't get it all together at one time. It's a massive shame!

#2016 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:05

Great recovery from the Williams boys. Bruno will have made a few of the doubters think again. Shame about Pastor's engine.

#2017 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:06

After the idiotic first lap, Senna drove very well, Williams is on the board and back to being respectfull.

Let's keep this going, the car should be competitive on just about every type of track.

#2018 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:08

Bit scrappy but well done lads, more points than the whole of last season!

Just need to iron out the errors and the car looks fast

#2019 tractionman

tractionman

• 169 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:09

Well done what? His mistake hitting Maldonado on the first lap was unacceptable.

And Maldonado awful, horrible. I've never seen a driving missing his pit like he did.

So going from last to 6th counts for nothing?

Advertisement

#2020 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 110 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:18

Great Result for Bruno. But another race when he had to have an unscheduled pit stop following an incident. It seems like he is incapable of having a "clean" race.

#2021 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,368 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:34

So going from last to 6th counts for nothing?

It counts, but it's not good enough. He should stop doing those silly mistakes.

Same for Maldonado.

#2022 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,194 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:36

It was obvious as soon as they were announced, but the drivers are their own worst enemies. If errors are cut out, points are available. Maldonado missing the pit entry was disastrously bad and should have been up with Senna before the engine went.

He should be happy the likes of Massa and Karthikeyan are around, taking all of the bad headlines.

Edited by Disgrace, 25 March 2012 - 11:37.

#2023 tractionman

tractionman

• 169 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:42

It was obvious as soon as they were announced, but the drivers are their own worst enemies. If errors are cut out, points are available. Maldonado missing the pit entry was disastrously bad and should have been up with Senna before the engine went.

He should be happy the likes of Massa and Karthikeyan are around, taking all of the bad headlines.

Both these drivers probably have a lot more to with Williams's resurgence than they get credit for.Senna's mistake was in a racing environment at the start and he did not bin it into the kitty litter like some much hyped drivers. The pace he showed driving from the back to the front was great and bodes well for the team once they get his qualifying gremlins worked out.

#2024 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:47

Same for Maldonado.

They both need to cut out the mistakes, but brunos drive after the first few laps was good

It will give him and the team confidence. Pastors was a silly mistake in the pits

#2025 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:48

Well, at least senna bagged some points today, but this was disasterous race for williams:

- Senna crash with Pastor first lap
- team not putting full wets on Sennas car in the first pitstop
- late call for both Pastor and Senna to change to full wets
- Pastor missing the pitstop - i'm intrigued by that mistake because the situation looked very strange
- engine failure for Pastor

Only thing that is certain is that the car is VERY fast in races, hope drivers will capitalise on that in the next few races

#2026 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:50

Honestly, i think Senna has a good head on his shoulders, he made a mistake, kept his cool and got a good result.
He was very patient and clean in making his way through the field.

Maldonado missing the pits was really bad, without that he would have been well positioned.

#2027 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:52

Dry tyres went on a about the best time possible on the same lap for both drivers. That made a big difference.

#2028 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 829 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:55

Senna race was another disaster until the Safety car came out...
after that it was quite good, a great result... I'm impressed...
but the car is looking quick, they should be scoring more points, but I guess in a race like this you can't really complain with at least one car scoring more points than they did last year, and by a driver which is clearly having difficulties to adapt,

#2029 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:00

Same for Maldonado.

It was a race in very tricky conditions, lots of drivers made mistakes, so easy to do.

Oh, P6 after being last isn't good enough for you?!? You've got some crazily high expectation levels!

#2030 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:05

It was a race in very tricky conditions, lots of drivers made mistakes, so easy to do.

Oh, P6 after being last isn't good enough for you?!? You've got some crazily high expectation levels!

Clearly Francesc thinks Bruno is good enough that he would have been fighting for the win with Alonso and Perez without that mistake. :p

#2031 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:13

Well done Wiliams!!!! So happy for them!!

#2032 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,368 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:17

I haven't said his 6th place is not good enough. I said that overall his race wasn't good enough. For me the race not only counts after the restart, before it it does too.

#2033 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

• 49 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:37

Well, at least senna bagged some points today, but this was disasterous race for williams:

- Senna crash with Pastor first lap
- team not putting full wets on Sennas car in the first pitstop
- late call for both Pastor and Senna to change to full wets
- Pastor missing the pitstop - i'm intrigued by that mistake because the situation looked very strange
- engine failure for Pastor

Only thing that is certain is that the car is VERY fast in races, hope drivers will capitalise on that in the next few races

Good summary :up:

#2034 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,822 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:15

Never let it be said that I'm not big enough to man up when things don't go as I predict. Congrats to Perez on a career best finish. I still maintain that Maldonado should be ahead at year's end. Some questionable strategy decisions from the Pitwall. Williams need to remember how to race with a quick car.

#2035 teejay

teejay

• 3,711 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:18

Well done to the team! Hopefully they can keep improving the car.

#2036 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:28

Pastor hit Di Resta as well apparently, just before the red flag

#2037 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:59

Pastor hit Di Resta as well apparently, just before the red flag

Great recovery race from Bruno, from 23th to 6th was great. :up: :up: But he must learn to keep his nose intact in the first lap. :|

For Mastah:
You won this round my friend. :kiss: Perez race was incredible, Sauber was almost perfect on the strategy side and they should have won today. If he can keep this kind of performance he will have a Ferrari seat waiting for him. None of the Williams drivers were on Perez league today.
But I'm still rooting for Bruno over the championship and I think he'll finish in front of Perez. ;)

#2038 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,678 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:59

It gonna be hard to catch up with Sauber for the WDC after today race.
Pastor and Bruno will need to constantly score points and get at least one more than great result.

#2039 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 18:46

They are quite a bit infront right now and they won't stop scoring...
but with the points galore system that we have now they can be catched.

One race with drivers finishing 5 and 6 and that's the same 18 points Perez got today

Advertisement

#2040 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 18:50

I agree it will be hard to catch Sauber but fluke results can do that for a team. As long as Williams can score regularly it should bode well for the future.

#2041 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 18:50

They are quite a bit infront right now and they won't stop scoring...
but with the points galore system that we have now they can be catched.

One race with drivers finishing 5 and 6 and that's the same 18 points Perez got today

The key is to have both drivers scoring points. If Kobayashi carries on like he had been they can be caught

#2042 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 19:08

Yes, even in a troubled race like this Williams could've had nine points if Pastor didn't break down.

After the pit mistake he was just infront of Button, the progress was again impressive and he had a bit of bad luck because Hulk was also "DRSing" because he was close to the STR.
And of course the engine issues.

The car is great on high speed corners and under braking, the only (somewhat) weak area is traction/corner exit so we have a target for improvement.

Edited by Sevach, 25 March 2012 - 19:10.

#2043 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 19:11

He should stop doing those silly mistakes.

Mistake, just the one.

#2044 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 19:13

Bugger me some of the reactions to that race are unbelievable.

#2045 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 800 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 19:43

Congratulations to the team for getting some points on the board; it was a bit untidy but then that could be said of most of the teams today.

#2046 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 412 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 20:03

Haha, some comments in here are amazing, this result for Bruno is clearly great and for Williams as well. It should gain some good confidence for him going forward and silence the critics who have a misplaced Robin Hood complex that place an extra expectation on Bruno because of either his last name or Financial status. The boy is a racer and has the pace big time, this was clear to anyone who isn't bias since way back when he tested for Brawn and almost got the place from Barrichello, receiving much praise from Ross.

The current issue for Bruno is keeping it tight in the beginning of the races, but even in Australia, it wasn't his fault and today in these conditions a lot of drivers made mistakes, including the one who had arguably the best performance of the day Perez. If Bruno cuts down on the errors what a great season he can have, I think he is more consistent racer than Maldonado, who is going for his 2 year at Williams and is hard to remember tight races from him, he is clearly very fast, but clearly has issues in the race.

#2047 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 20:50

The one thing I enjoy about the grid closing up is that it feels that the great drives down the field will be more rewarded than 8th place. Last year, drivers at the top 3 teams could be rubbish and they'd still finish 6th, perhaps slip behind a Mercedes. For what appeared like a briliant drive (and a surprising one: I'll admit I didn't think Senna had that in him) he gets 8 points. Last year, the top teams were so far ahread that no matter how good drives like Senna and Perez were today, they were only getting 7th at best usually.

#2048 Scorf

Scorf

• 205 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 21:40

My one contribution to this debate regarding the Malaysian GP is regarding the actual car...

When everyone switched to inters & then to slicks both FW34's showed great pace, especially in sector 2, compared to all those around them (the beauty of live timing screens!!)

Whenever they were in clear air they were as quick as anyone, if not quicker.

I believe this showed what great downforce the FW34 is producing. I seem to remember Red Bull showing mega pace in damp conditions a couple of years ago, before their dominance started, and that being seen as a clear sign of how much DF was being generated.

It could of course have meant that we just managed to 'switch' the tyres on, however in cold & wet conditions it is usually the cars that are harder on their tyres that manage that & we know how gentle the FW34 is in that area, and that there are believed to be still issues with traction from slow speeds.

I think this bodes well for the rest of the season.....

#2049 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,534 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 21:46

The one thing I enjoy about the grid closing up is that it feels that the great drives down the field will be more rewarded than 8th place. Last year, drivers at the top 3 teams could be rubbish and they'd still finish 6th, perhaps slip behind a Mercedes. For what appeared like a briliant drive (and a surprising one: I'll admit I didn't think Senna had that in him) he gets 8 points. Last year, the top teams were so far ahread that no matter how good drives like Senna and Perez were today, they were only getting 7th at best usually.

:up:

We've had tight grids before, but now you can actually pass! No more, "Well we had really good pace, but unfortunately we got stuck behind so and so"....

#2050 BrunoCarneiro

BrunoCarneiro

• 72 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 21:48

My one contribution to this debate regarding the Malaysian GP is regarding the actual car...

When everyone switched to inters & then to slicks both FW34's showed great pace, especially in sector 2, compared to all those around them (the beauty of live timing screens!!)

Whenever they were in clear air they were as quick as anyone, if not quicker.

I believe this showed what great downforce the FW34 is producing. I seem to remember Red Bull showing mega pace in damp conditions a couple of years ago, before their dominance started, and that being seen as a clear sign of how much DF was being generated.

It could of course have meant that we just managed to 'switch' the tyres on, however in cold & wet conditions it is usually the cars that are harder on their tyres that manage that & we know how gentle the FW34 is in that area, and that there are believed to be still issues with traction from slow speeds.

I think this bodes well for the rest of the season.....

:up:
they should focus on improving quali form