Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#2151 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 17:26

So Pastor also collided with PdR in Malaysia:

That would be 5 crashes/collisions starring Williams drivers in 2 races. 1.25 per race, nice ratio.

Advertisement

#2152 discover23

discover23

• 3,551 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 17:38

With the speed if the Williams this year I am anxious to see what Maldondo can do in Monaco. A win for the team would be fantastic.. Williams is still one of those very few teams that I still like.

#2153 KoezhVukotic

KoezhVukotic

• 235 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 17:42

With the speed if the Williams this year I am anxious to see what Maldondo can do in Monaco. A win for the team would be fantastic.. Williams is still one of those very few teams that I still like.

It would probably require a bit of a crash fest for a win, though I would love for them to do so. A podium is realistically the max we can hope for but if the car stays as competitive as it has been and Maldonado performs as well as last year I don't think it would be too unlikely

#2154 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,658 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 19:28

That would be 5 crashes/collisions starring Williams drivers in 2 races. 1.25 per race, nice ratio.

Not bad considering the fact that Hamilton needed only one race and first few laps of other race to have 4 collisions last year in Monaco and Canada. He had then 1 collision per 80km or something like that. :drunk:

#2155 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,337 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 20:55

So Williams hasn't had any upgrades yet, I'm guessing they should have a big package for China?

#2156 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,677 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 20:57

So Williams hasn't had any upgrades yet, I'm guessing they should have a big package for China?

I guess not, they may be preparing an European package.

Edited by highdownforce, 05 April 2012 - 20:57.

#2157 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,658 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 21:07

From what I know, Williams will have a big package of upgrades, including new exhaust, for test at Mugello and then for Spanish GP. Some minor upgrades are scheduled for Chinese GP, but nothing spectacular AFAIK.

#2158 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 23:42

Unlike Ferrari thee is no major technical issue in Williams car this year(!), which need quick fix. It does makes sense to perfection what they test in Mugello. I am very curious if there is any new line of concept laid for tyre management.

#2159 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,658 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 19:17

The official website of Williams doesn't work for several hours, at least at my PC.

Can I be hoping for announcing title sponsorship soon or will it mean nothing as always? :stoned:

Advertisement

#2160 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 19:19

Its down for me as well.

#2161 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,639 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:34

notsure why lots of people have got a hardon for bottas

the reality is, both drivers are actully pretty good, and the team is sponsered to a large % by the drivers.

its already pretty insane hes got 15 fp1's, his potential to gimp senna if he wanted to is pretty high :/. ie just go out to set fast laptimes, not care too much about team program, give false feedback/ make setup bad.
not saying he is, but he could do that to make senna look worse

#2162 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,478 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:18

the reality is, both drivers are actully pretty good, and the team is sponsered to a large % by the drivers.

its already pretty insane hes got 15 fp1's, his potential to gimp senna if he wanted to is pretty high :/. ie just go out to set fast laptimes, not care too much about team program, give false feedback/ make setup bad.

Crazy fantasy. Would never happen. That would be total sabotage and he'd get dumped.

#2163 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 13:19

I think this is a extreme situation. It will not happen.
But what will happen is that Senna will be handicaped in these 15 GPs, in Malaysia Bottas setup was not so good to Bruno, so he changed a lot the car in FP2 and FP3.
I hope that in the next GPs Bottas setup will be more useful to Bruno than in Malaysia. :well:

#2164 MilesDavis

MilesDavis

• 68 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 13:26

Alonso would be capable of doing that, MS also, but a complete newcomer like Bottas -it is insane. To give false feedback first you have to be capable of giving true feedback

He is just happy to be there and to drive the car. Why they didnt sing him to drive in some lesser series that do not clash with F1 it is beyond me. Bottas is driver in making -he should be racing somewhere. Something -as long as it is OW. We saw what sportscars did to Senna he lost half a second there. And he himself admitted. look what DTM did to DiResta, not to mention Pafett

#2165 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,639 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 14:07

its not hard to give feedback, really. randoms do it all the time in iracing, heck even i do it. and bottas has been racing since he was how old?

but i did say potential ;). hopefully he is just doing what the team want him to do

#2166 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,062 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 14:36

Alonso would be capable of doing that, MS also, but a complete newcomer like Bottas -it is insane. To give false feedback first you have to be capable of giving true feedback

He is just happy to be there and to drive the car. Why they didnt sing him to drive in some lesser series that do not clash with F1 it is beyond me. Bottas is driver in making -he should be racing somewhere. Something -as long as it is OW. We saw what sportscars did to Senna he lost half a second there. And he himself admitted. look what DTM did to DiResta, not to mention Pafett

Williams don't exactly have cash to burn at the moment. They might be happy for him to race in a non-clashing series, but they also may not be able to afford to pay for a seat in one.

#2167 Kyo

Kyo

• 786 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 15:51

Williams should have signed Bottas, and found him a seat in GP2. Bottas would get lots of experience running there and Senna would have a better chance running these 15 free practices.

#2168 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,062 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 16:01

Williams should have signed Bottas, and found him a seat in GP2. Bottas would get lots of experience running there and Senna would have a better chance running these 15 free practices.

Who would pay for Bottas' seat in GP2?

I'm not saying yours is a bad idea. In fact I'm sure Williams would have considered it, but paid GP2 seats aren't exactly common.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 07 April 2012 - 16:02.

#2169 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 16:06

I'm not saying yours is a bad idea. In fact I'm sure Williams would have considered it, but paid GP2 seats aren't exactly common.

Maybe Bottas? I don't think willliams is giving these 15FP for free to him.
Just a tought, but he could have done 5 or 6 FP1 this year and race in GP2 too. It would be better for both parts.

Edited by GustavoB, 07 April 2012 - 16:07.

#2170 Kyo

Kyo

• 786 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 16:40

They have a driver they believe has a great potential but could not race him this year because the lack of experience/sponsors, but they still want to secure a contract with him without minimizing Senna's chance of scoring points.

for me that would be the best thing for Williams, but i admit that just because now we know they have a good car and the field is really close, so every tenth counts.

#2171 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,599 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 17:04

Bottas chose not to run any feeder series himself...

#2172 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,337 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 17:32

Bottas chose not to run any feeder series himself...

Because he doesn't have any budget left after what he has to pay for doing the free practice sessions. And he never had a big sponsor so...

#2173 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 20:44

Oh G. Bottas has to pay to drive FP1...

#2174 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,584 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 22:15

Because he doesn't have any budget left after what he has to pay for doing the free practice sessions. And he never had a big sponsor so...

Quite. Getting into bed with a team with two drivers of whom the jury is still out may prove to be a genius move. He didn't hit the ground running in GP3 initially, and could not afford to repeat that in GP2, especially if he could get closer to an F1 team.

#2175 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 281 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 22:16

Maybe he could run on F2?

#2176 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,584 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 22:17

Maybe he could run on F2?

But I thought he had F1 aspirations? :confused: :p

#2177 Kyo

Kyo

• 786 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:40

15FP is the best move for Bottas, I'm just not certain that's the best move for Williams.

I don't think losing a free practice makes much difference in optimal circumstances. if the weather is stable and assuming no driver mistakes in FP2 and FP3, FP1 is not that important, but when you have a changeable weather, or if the the driver loses FP2 or FP3 for some reason (driver mistake or car failure) it can cost a lot of points for the team.

#2178 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:22

Personally I think this is getting far too much discussion. Of course Senna would like to have more time in the car. I guess he is only going to have around 62.5% of Maldonado's running before each race over the course of the season. This is certainly not ideal, but a F1 team like Williams is bigger than its drivers, at least at present.

Bottas clearly has talent, and it's a great opportunity for him. The best way to develop that is by giving him time in the car. If he does get a race seat next year, then one would hope that it wouldn't mean that it takes him half a season to get fully up to pace compared to his team mate, like what happened with Hulkenberg. He did GP2...

Anyway to China! Let's hope they team has been able to manufacture all the parts needed after some destructive races to start the season. I don't know whether there will be any visible changes to the car, but I guess we might hear whether they are bringing any new parts in Gillian's race preview. Of course he has previously said that the team would be focusing on fewer updates that bring a definite advance in pace...

#2179 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 19:46

This season all drivers who drives Williasm F1 car pays to drive, so in a way this is fair that the most paying drives the all session, the second to drive less, and the least to drive one at the each event. What Senna can do will be to outpace the richest in all season through therefore proving on numbers and the result that is is more capable of bringin in money to the team. Most likely the Maldonado wil continue driving as long as he got funding for 2013. In this case Bottascan make decision to move on,...

Advertisement

#2180 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 13:56

No mention of any updates for China in the preview:

Mark Gillan, Chief Operations Engineer: Having secured our first points of the season in Malaysia with what is a much improved and competitive car the team are eager to move onto Shanghai as soon as possible. The fundamental characteristic of the circuit is that it is aggressive on the tyres and the track will prove a stern test for the FW34 and will be a good indication of how improved our tyre management is compared to last season. Pirelli are bringing the medium (white band) and soft (yellow band) tyres as the prime and option respectively. Whilst having one of the highest maximum speeds of any circuit, overall brake severity is low to medium and most other performance metrics are of a medium severity. The loss through the pit lane is high and the chance of a safety car is quite high too, with typically one per race. The weather can be pretty changeable in Shanghai with large temperature swings and the chance of rain - although hopefully not so dramatic as that encountered during the last race in Kuala Lumpur!

Pastor Maldonado: Shanghai is one of my favourite circuits on the calendar so I am really looking forward to the race. The circuit has a nice combination of slow and medium speed corners and good sequences that are fun to drive. It is also very challenging because it is difficult to get close to the car in front to take advantage of the long DRS zone. We have shown good pace in the first two races and hopefully we can continue to improve here and pick up some points.

Bruno Senna: The car is performing well and showing strong pace so I am confident about our chances in China. I have not raced there for two years so I will have to work hard to re-learn the track, but I have good memories of the circuit because it has a good mix of high speed and low speed corners and good overtaking opportunities. I had a good race in Malaysia and hopefully I can continue that form in Shanghai.

Rémi Taffin, Head of Renault Sport F1 Track Operations: Shanghai is quite a different challenge from Sepang, with the long straight at the back of the circuit and the pit straight raising the percentage of time spent at full throttle. The slower corners, particularly the first complex, however mean the engine is used at relatively lower revs for the rest of the lap. We used the intervening time between Malaysia and China to thoroughly investigate the engine failure we had on Pastor’s car in Malaysia and quickly identified it as a piston failure. As a result we are looking to put in place safeguards to prevent it happening again to Williams or our other clients.

Paul Hembery, Pirelli Motorsport Director: For China, we’re bringing the P Zero White medium and P Zero Yellow soft tyres, which we think will be well-suited to the circuit. Last year, we witnessed one of the best races of the season in China, so there is a tough act to follow. Nonetheless, we’re confident that the choices we’ve made should put an even greater emphasis on strategy - and will form a different challenge to Melbourne, when we first used this combination.

#2181 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 00:43

Oh G. Bottas has to pay to drive FP1...

Does that mean he's just another useless pay driver?

#2182 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,584 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:07

Talent and money are mutually exclusive due to forum rules, get with it.

#2183 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:35

Does that mean he's just another useless pay driver?

No, no the other way round... Like many other think it is better for both Williams and Bottas that Bottas race at a lower series, but the best one for preparation if Williams were sure about Bottas taking seats in 2013. But it is more likely that Williams are not to sure about it in a sense that the team collect cash from him as well to allow him to drive at FP1 and not willing to fund him in GP2. His carrier is at a moment halt and that is not the best for a racing driver nor Williams... Let us not fear for the worst.

#2184 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:14

Susie Wolff appointed Development Driver for the Williams F1 Team

http://www.williamsf.../news/view/2105

:rotfl:

I feel sorry for a person, who had to invent this PR crap :lol:.

#2185 sock22

sock22

• 403 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:29

Only for it to be ruined by Bernie's comment at the end :lol:

#2186 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,337 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:46

This is very stupid, WTF they're thinking about?

First Wolff plugged in his friend Wurz, now his wife. What's next? His dog? :rolleyes:

#2187 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,062 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:49

Good for Susie, though I guess she won't actually be doing much driving. Great chance for her to experience F1.

#2188 Burai

Burai

• 993 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:08

Bernie: "She's good looking. And luckily, she's also quite clever. For a girl."

#2189 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:18

Hmmmmm. I won't comment on her racing talent other than the fact she's scored points twice in 6 seasons of DTM according to Wikipedia.

Hopefully she can help the team bring in more sponsorship money:

I shall be offering some of my own technical insight and experience – coming from a different discipline – and helping the team engage with its partners. I hope also to demonstrate that women can play a role at the highest levels of motorsport and I shall be working closely with the team on its social responsibility programme in the areas of education and road safety.

#2190 BRG

BRG

• 11,454 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:33

Bernie: "She's good looking. And luckily, she's also quite clever. For a girl."

He's such a loveable little imp, isn't he?

;)

#2191 Les

Les

• 2,066 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:36

I'm all for woman drivers if they get there based on merit but it hardly helps their cause if a woman driver gets the drive as she's the wife of the boss (allegedly).

#2192 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:39

This is very stupid, WTF they're thinking about?

First Wolff plugged in his friend Wurz, now his wife. What's next? His dog? :rolleyes:

How fast is the dog?

Apparently Wolff wasn't involved in the decision process :lol:

#2193 sesku

sesku

• 282 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:48

Sad day for F1. Susie not up to F1 standard at all. She not even score point regularly in DTM.

#2194 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:08

I'm all for woman drivers if they get there based on merit but it hardly helps their cause if a woman driver gets the drive as she's the wife of the boss (allegedly).

Theres no allegedly about it. He owns a vast chunk of the company and his wife appears at his team..

As for Bottas, he will race next season. He wasn't ready this year, Williams had a free seat for 12 months and Senna has a fortune to waste. Everybody wins.

#2195 BRG

BRG

• 11,454 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:39

Sad day for F1. Susie not up to F1 standard at all. She not even score point regularly in DTM.

How sad exactly? On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being extraordinarily sad).

Is it sadder than Alex Yoong getting into F1? Is it sadder than Channoch Nissany being given a test? Is it sadder than Andrea Moda being in F1?

#2196 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,045 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:43

Good for her, I'm glad Williams have hired on a successful driver for a purpose other than money...

I mean honestly, why even bother with issuing a PR statement? We all know shes there purely because of being married to one of their biggest shareholders, in the hope that there'll be more money coming in when she drives half a mile in a demo run somewhere. I'm sure Bernie's happy to comment because we'll see someone with boobs in an F1 car at last.

#2197 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:47

Its all just PR, shame Williams has been forced down this route.

#2198 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,062 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:49

You'd think she was given the race drive by some of the reactions on here.

And yes, if Sir Frank says Toto wasn't involved in the decision process, I believe him.

#2199 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,913 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:50

No but if she wasn't married to one of the primary investors, visiting races, etc; do you reckon they'd even talk to her?

Advertisement

#2200 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,440 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:50

All this sort of thing just reminds me that I'm not a fan of a brand I'm a fan of two men, Frank and Patrick. Williams as a company, a logo, a collection of staff means nothing to me, the leadership and style of Frank and Patrick is what I fell for and as they slowly slide out of the teams decision making core it begins to become Just-Another-Team. The first warning sign was when they hired Nakajima.

The Toto's and Parr's will come thick and fast in the future.