Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#2251 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:42

Hopefully neither driver will get a penalty (both were under investigation I think?)

Senna bang on pastors pace, hopefully race pace is better

Immediatedly after Q2 Senna gave an interview saying he believe that will be the case, one of the factors is that Williams doesn't have the strongest DRS effect.

Advertisement

#2252 X61

X61

• 520 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 13:18

I hope they really do have better race pace, qualifying was disappointing after two good opening races.

#2253 Kyo

Kyo

• 789 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:27

I hope they can have a clean start, and them grab some points. can't see they doing better than a 10, or 9 position unless it rains.

#2254 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 404 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:21

Seems to me, Williams have the opposite issue of a Mercedes, very good race pace, but not so goo qualy. It seems to be a trend about the cars these days, to be either better at a few laps in qualy or over the race then you have the great cars who have a balance like Mclaren, In my POV, Williams condition is better, races nowdays is easier to make passes and come along the pack and with all the changes in the races.

#2255 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 21:23

I just hope that Senna and Maldonado won't bump into eachother like last time.

#2256 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 23:27

What a turn around! The Renault engine must have alot to do with this, but in saying that, Williams shouldn't have any other engine, it just, works. Thats probably just the nostalgia in me but it only seems fitting to me. Hopefully through the year with more Coughlan genius Williams can only get better. It makes me wonder though what this car could do with one of the top gun drivers, not taking away anything from the current duo, but something in the class of a Hamilton/Vettel/Alonso really does make you wonder.

#2257 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:51

Well, fingers crossed for a good race today; some more points would be very welcome, particularly for SFW's 70 birthday.

:up:

#2258 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:12

senna obviously likes to run into massa and Maldonado...

#2259 athlon

athlon

• 508 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:42

Great race for Williams, again

Advertisement

#2260 Nemo29E

Nemo29E

• 124 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:48

How long did those tyres last? I swear they + Grosjean (kimi tried) lasted for ever. I kept expecting the tyres to fall off the cliff but didnt happen.

Great race by both, with them both battling hard for every position.

#2261 tractionman

tractionman

• 169 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:51

Senna was way too aggressive at the start and the damaged front wing probably cost him a few places over the race distance.....BUT....he drove around that quite well. Good job by Maldonando too...

#2262 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

what a close race in the midfield. Great race from Bruno!!! :up: P7
I think after malaysia and china nobody can claim anymore that Bruno has a poor racecraft.
:)

#2263 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Best race for Williams since a very long time. That was extremely pleasing. Maldonado was amazing on those fights at the latter part of the race. :eek:

#2264 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Good haul of points :up:
The gap all over the grid is unprecedently small, evolution will be crucial.

Senna needs cool it on first laps however, but good race after that, even with a damaged FW.

#2265 SirPaulGerman

SirPaulGerman

• 22 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:52

since Senna is doing better than Madonaldo , maybe he deserve more time with the car (practise) and maybe Bottas can use maldonado's car , just my 2 cents

#2266 4L3X

4L3X

• 2,012 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:53

Senna stopped like 10 laps before Maldo in tge end, but benefitted from a lots of scraps ahead, very smart race. He pounced over Kimi when he needed too, a tuen later and he would losepositions. Great race for both, Maldonado needed more.luck with some battles.

I was very surprised by how long theire tires lasted, great dry race overall. More points than Sauber, good, great.

#2267 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:55

Best race for Williams since a very long time. That was extremely pleasing. Maldonado was amazing on those fights at the latter part of the race. :eek:

Very staunch defense.

#2268 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,282 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:55

Another good race by Williams. Both cars in the points and beating both Saubers and Ferraris on merit today. :up:

#2269 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:57

Good race, lots of battling, pity about the nose and wing damage. Without such a big straight in the coming races qualifying shoukld be better too. Delighted really.

#2270 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:58

Fantastic race; congrats to both drivers and the whole team

:up: :up: :up: :up:

#2271 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:02

Good result, but maybe someone at Williams needs to have a word with Senna. Twice now he has forced his teammate off the track on the first lap. Maldonado's pace seemed better than Senna's so without that maybe he could have challenged. Still, Senna's going to get all the praise I suppose...

#2272 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,337 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:07

Hopefully Williams can keep this up and get past Sauber, Can't see them getting higher than 6th over the course of the season, however they are the only top team without a major upgrade package, and they bet Ferrari with theirs, so hopefully come Europe we get a good step forward and are not just racing well but also qualifying well.

#2273 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:08

Good result, but maybe someone at Williams needs to have a word with Senna. Twice now he has forced his teammate off the track on the first lap. Maldonado's pace seemed better than Senna's so without that maybe he could have challenged. Still, Senna's going to get all the praise I suppose...

In Malaysia Maldo closed the door on Bruno and was Bruno who was forced off the track. Today Bruno was agressive on the start and got the inside line. So, only line that Maldo could do was the outside but he wasn't forced to go off the track.

#2274 4L3X

4L3X

• 2,012 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:08

Let me see, Senna has to learn a new circuit, new car and engineers and all, with one less practice, finishes ahead with older tires and a damaged car , and while everybody is praising both, you want Senna to be reprimanded by te team? What a hater...please stop.

#2275 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:11

In Malaysia Maldo closed the door on Bruno and was Bruno who was forced off the track. Today Bruno was agressive on the start and got the inside line. So, only line that Maldo could do was the outside but he wasn't forced to go off the track.

What? In Malaysia Senna lost control and drove straight into the back of him. Today Senna got his braking wrong, drove into Massa and Maldonado had to take to the run off area to avoid a collision. 100% Senna's fault on both occasions.

#2276 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:13

Let me see, Senna has to learn a new circuit, new car and engineers and all, with one less practice, finishes ahead with older tires and a damaged car , and while everybody is praising both, you want Senna to be reprimanded by te team? What a hater...please stop.

No, I'm not a hater, and I actually quite like Senna. But he harmed his team and should be told to be more careful. That's all. It's just a part of learning.

#2277 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,685 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:14

No, I'm not a hater, and I actually quite like Senna. But he harmed his team and should be told to be more careful. That's all. It's just a part of learning.

:up:

He's been a bit lucky the last two races with two incidents, but otherwise been impressive.

This is just a continuation of what we've already seen; if the drivers keep their front wings on, the car has race pace enough for points.

#2278 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:17

Best bit of driving from Maldonado was holding position against Perez and Alonso into the hairpin, was holding my breat there, was delighted when he came out of that ahead.

#2279 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:23

What? In Malaysia Senna lost control and drove straight into the back of him. Today Senna got his braking wrong, drove into Massa and Maldonado had to take to the run off area to avoid a collision. 100% Senna's fault on both occasions.

Maldo just needed to open his line a ittle bit, it happens in every race start. He never went to the run off area!!!
If you are sad that Maldo was beaten twice in a row, there's no problem. But trying to put all the guilty of Maldo's performance in Bruno mistakes it's a kind of sad. Bruno was guilty of Maldo's pit problem in Malaysia and the brain fade in Australia?

Edited by GustavoB, 15 April 2012 - 09:25.

Advertisement

#2280 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:25

great strategy from Williams (for a change). Was expecting that both lotuses would go for another stop. Great driving fro both drivers

#2281 WilliamsFWPH

WilliamsFWPH

• 42 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:28

Great driving and great team decisions. I'm very pleased with the outcome of this Grand Prix, a track not so much suitable to Williams.

Better days are coming for our Williams Renault

#2282 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:33

great strategy from Williams (for a change). Was expecting that both lotuses would go for another stop. Great driving fro both drivers

But pit stops still need work, losing 1 sec every time there.

Senna needs to keep his head cold on first laps, today was very close in ending in tears.

#2283 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:43

Maldo just needed to open his line a ittle bit, it happens in every race start. He never went to the run off area!!!
If you are sad that Maldo was beaten twice in a row, there's no problem. But trying to put all the guilty of Maldo's performance in Bruno mistakes it's a kind of sad. Bruno was guilty of Maldo's pit problem in Malaysia and the brain fade in Australia?

You really are trying to put words into my mouth. Maldonado has made his fair share of mistakes too.

Ah, I've just realised: you're brazilian. I'm trying to argue with a brazilian about a Senna. I'm not going to get very far am I?

Edited by TFLB, 15 April 2012 - 09:49.

#2284 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:49

Great result for the team! Hopefully they can continue to improve and move forward, great result for Bruno in particular!

#2285 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:09

You really are trying to put words into my mouth. Maldonado has made his fair share of mistakes too.

Ah, I've just realised: you're brazilian. I'm trying to argue with a brazilian about a Senna. I'm not going to get very far am I?

Hi TLFB,
of course you can argue with me about Senna even if I'm a brazilian I'm not blind. But what you cannot do is twist the facts. There's some other people writing about Bruno's starts and I'm not aguing with them because they have a point, but in your both posts you wrote stuff that weren't correct about the races to justify a team reprimend to Senna. This is what I think it's wrong. I respect your opinion and I apologize if you weren't trying to justify Maldo's performance in both gp using Bruno's mistakes. :|

#2286 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:14

Hi TLFB,
of course you can argue with me about Senna even if I'm a brazilian I'm not blind. But what you cannot do is twist the facts. There's some other people writing about Bruno's starts and I'm not aguing with them because they have a point, but in your both posts you wrote stuff that weren't correct about the races to justify a team reprimend to Senna. This is what I think it's wrong. I respect your opinion and I apologize if you weren't trying to justify Maldo's performance in both gp using Bruno's mistakes. :|

Sorry, but what did I write which was wrong? It was pretty obvious to everyone who saw it that Senna forced Maldonado off the track both this race and last. I don't particularly want Senna to be reprimanded or punished by his team; I just think it would be a good idea if someone told him to calm down a bit.

#2287 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:15

Chinese GP Race

Race Notes
• The Williams F1 Team claimed a double points finish in China today, a welcome birthday present for Sir Frank Williams who turns 70 tomorrow.
• Bruno Senna raced through from 14th on the grid to 7th, making a two-stop strategy starting on the medium compound tyre pay off.
• Pastor Maldonado, also on a two-stop strategy, began on soft tyres changing to mediums on lap 12.
• Pastor drove through to 8th, posting the fourth fastest lap of the race, 1:40.482, on lap 36.
• Bruno’s six points and Pastor’s four give the team a total of 18 points putting them seventh in the standings.
• Congratulations to Nico Rosberg and Mercedes AMG on their first Formula One victory.

Mark Gillan, Chief Operations Engineer: I am so happy for the whole team. It is a an excellent result to get both cars into the points, the culmination of everyone’s hard work and dedication, coupled with great drives by both drivers to manage their tyres and make a two-stop strategy work.

Bruno Senna: It was a great result for the team to finish with two cars in the points today. It was a tough race and tyre wear was high. Our strategy worked for us today but we’re still learning and improving together. We aim to continue to get better throughout the next few races.

Pastor Maldonado: It was very tough today. I lost places at the start and it was difficult to overtake but we had good pace. We were able to fight all the way to the end so I’m happy to get some points. It was a great result for the team.

Laurent Debout, Renault Sport F1 team support leader: We’re all delighted to get a double points finish today, something we’ve promised since the start of the season. Pastor's performance to keep his eighth place was great to watch, he’s a real fighter, while Bruno kept his head down and got on with the job in hand and did all that was asked of him. Getting the points on merit and by racing shows the engine-chassis package is really working well so far this season.

Race Result
POS DRIVER TEAM TIME FASTEST LAP GRID POS PITSTOPS
1 N Rosberg Mercedes AMG 1:36:26.929 1:40.967, 8th 1 2 (13, 34)
1 J Button McLaren + 20.626 1:40.422, 3rd 5 3 (11, 24, 39)
1 L Hamilton McLaren + 26.012 1:40.530, 6th 7 3 (10, 22, 38)
1 B Senna Williams F1 Team + 34.597 1:41.293, 16th 14 2 (12, 29)
1 P Maldonado Williams F1 Team + 35.643 1:40.482, 4th 13 2 (11, 33)

#2288 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:46

THis should be the beginning of a good season for the WilliamsF1. Looking back it shows that the team is building up the momentum since several years. Hope this trend to carry on.

#2289 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:50

Just when Williams have a great result I hear terrible news about a worker from the Catering department who has had her contract ripped up for refusing to attend Bahrain on moral grounds, I think that is a bit harsh.

#2290 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,870 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:53

Well, my guess is that's because hundreds of people would take the job, in the current economic circumstances.

As for the car: much better than last season but with two mediocre drivers in the cockpit, I don't see anything better than 6-7th in the WCC for Williams.

#2291 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:15

Well, my guess is that's because hundreds of people would take the job, in the current economic circumstances.

As for the car: much better than last season but with two mediocre drivers in the cockpit, I don't see anything better than 6-7th in the WCC for Williams.

I wouldn't say the drivers are mediocre, I think they're extremely good actually. All they both need is a little more composure. They have the speed.

#2292 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:26

This mediocre driver statement is getting old.

#2293 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 281 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:02

I wouldn't say the drivers are mediocre, I think they're extremely good actually. All they both need is a little more composure. They have the speed.

Maybe Wurz will help with it?

#2294 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 14:02

Maybe Wurz will help with it?

Hopefully. That's what he's there for isn't it?

#2295 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,870 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 14:17

What use is being quick if you crash every other race? Maldonado is a poor man's JPM, and as for Bruno...he's improved, but will it keep up?

#2296 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 14:19

What use is being quick if you crash every other race? Maldonado is a poor man's JPM, and as for Bruno...he's improved, but will it keep up?

You can learn not to crash. You can't learn basic talent, which the two drivers certainly have.

#2297 Kyo

Kyo

• 789 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 15:06

Good results!!! :up:

Why all this mediocre talk about the drivers? The drivers are just on pair with the car. They're not the best of the grid but neither is the car. This race they delivered more than anyone could expect, or does people think they have a better car than McLaren, RBR, Mercedes and Lotus?

#2298 djf1

djf1

• 88 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 15:55

Good results!!! :up:

Why all this mediocre talk about the drivers? The drivers are just on pair with the car. They're not the best of the grid but neither is the car. This race they delivered more than anyone could expect, or does people think they have a better car than McLaren, RBR, Mercedes and Lotus?

+1! that "mediocre" argument is getting really old. Do people forget where they finished today? On pure driving merit? I would argue that both drivers are quite talented , yes still rough around the edges, but both did a damn good job during the race. Bruno with old tires managed not only to hang on but give the cars upfront a run for their money all the way to the end, really mistake free the where it counted. Compare that drive with some of the names finishing behind him...

Pastor had another great drive as well, his fights and pace were stunning to see. Mature and confident.

IMO both at this moment are the most underrated drivers in the field. If Williams improves further the package I will bet money that there might be some fireworks in the future from both drivers. People forget their results in GP2. That always baffles me.

#2299 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,628 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 16:43

A surrepticious dig at the drivers despite another strong result. Haters gonna hate.Williams have rediscovered their mojo by going back to their core engineering roots.

Advertisement

#2300 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 16:52

Maldonna thinks he is a star and nobody can touch or overtake him.

He should watch his MMA track manners or a payback might hurt him bad.

Although I enjoyed his tussle with Grosjean :D