Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#2301 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 17:06

What use is being quick if you crash every other race? Maldonado is a poor man's JPM, and as for Bruno...he's improved, but will it keep up?

Maldonado was easily one of the three most exciting drivers to watch in todays race. He had great duels and almost each one of them could easily result in a crash... but didn't. His defense against Alonso was particulary impressive.
Also, he had a great race in Australia, right till the very end. So, give the guy some credit, he is rough but he is a fighter, always trying to overtake and pushing to the limit. And he defintelly has speed. And I really don't like his personality. But he has added to the excitement of every race this season.

And as for Senna, he was so badly bashed, but still managed to get a 6th and 7th place in two races, despite damaging his front wing (and bumping into fellow colleague) in both races. It seems that starts are his worst part of the races, he should practice that. Other than lousy starts he is doing a very good job, I get the feeling that he is less aggressive than Maldonado, but he manages to walk away with points. And he seems like a nice guy.

Anyway, great season for Williams thus far, and a great season overall. the WDC and WCC is almost everybody's race this year.

Advertisement

#2302 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 109 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 17:07

I don't understand why people say the drivers are mediocre. I feel that both Maldonado and Senna are underrated and are very good drivers. Maldonado is a GP2 champion and would have outscored Barrichello but for Hamilton being an idiot at Monaco. Senna is a GP2 runner up. I feel that both drivers are at Williams on merit as seen by todays Grand Prix.

#2303 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,505 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 17:29

You can learn not to crash. You can't learn basic talent, which the two drivers certainly have.

As the saying goes, you can tidy up speed but you can't speed up tidiness.

#2304 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 404 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 18:31

Bruno, showing again what a solid racer he is. When he does a reasonable qualy job and avoids early incidents he tends to have very good races being solid and consistent driver, he was a Swiss watch for several laps more than 20 until the end keeping close to the 3-7 pack, while managing to keep a good distance from 9-12 pack. Made some good passes when the opportunity came. He is demonstrating to be a good workman racer. Which is a great quality for a driver can have.

#2305 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 22:07

Was not so convinced by Bruno, but he is getting better. Ithink he is not the one, and Bottos is, I am just thinking... I do not know it...
But if Bottas were in the car I assume the car would have not made the point in a race like today, it goes pufff on the gravel... perhapsfigingtingon fifth position or so...

Over all it was what exactlywhat Williams needed for this season. Good effort, great week end. Thanx Boys.

#2306 search

search

• 194 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 22:59

Bruno, showing again what a solid racer he is. When he does a reasonable qualy job and avoids early incidents he tends to have very good races being solid and consistent driver, he was a Swiss watch for several laps more than 20 until the end keeping close to the 3-7 pack, while managing to keep a good distance from 9-12 pack. Made some good passes when the opportunity came. He is demonstrating to be a good workman racer. Which is a great quality for a driver can have.

he pitted just one lap after Raikkonen, I must say I had doubts he would make it to the finish in the top 10 but he did really well to manage the tyres till the end.

#2307 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:24

Welll I had my doubts that points were possible in China but was happily proved wrong.

Some great defensive driving from Pastor, didn't see any mistakes from him. Senna also drove a great race, just needs to cut out the sort of errors we saw at the start, that could easily have taken his wing off.

So it looks like Williams are firmly in front of FI & TR. Let's hope the Barcelona update can bring them closer to Lotus and Sauber.

How is Bahrain likely to suit the car, can we expect a similar showing? Traction and top speed seem to be order of the day, tops speed isn't the cars' strength at the moment

#2308 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,385 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:07

Well if we go by China I'd say that Williams are ahead of Sauber on race day.

#2309 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,337 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:09

Well if we go by China I'd say that Williams are ahead of Sauber on race day.

Although Sauber was ahead of them for the bulk of the race and hounding them at the end. I'd say Sauber has a marginal advantage in race trim and a clear advantage in qualifying - although it could be that their drivers are better over one lap.

Regardless I think Williams will out develop them and should be fifth or sixth at the end of the season.

#2310 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:13

Good result, but maybe someone at Williams needs to have a word with Senna.

Hopefully we should start to see the influence of Alex Wurz helping stop this.

#2311 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:23

There is no way of proving that Pastor and Bruno are 'mediocre' anyway, they are the two driving the car, we have no way of saying someone else would be faster.

#2312 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,505 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:38

I'm starting to like Pastor, he's turning out to be quite a fiesty wee character on-track, he's pulled a couple of tough moves so far this season.

#2313 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,385 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:41

Although Sauber was ahead of them for the bulk of the race and hounding them at the end. I'd say Sauber has a marginal advantage in race trim and a clear advantage in qualifying - although it could be that their drivers are better over one lap.

Regardless I think Williams will out develop them and should be fifth or sixth at the end of the season.

I'm not sure how you arrive at that. It seems like it's Williams with the marginal advantage in the race. I don't think Kamui and Sergio are worse racers than Bruno and Pastor. Obviously they were ahead for most of the race because they started way ahead. Yet they finished behind.

I agree with the last bit. Sauber has traditionally struggled with development during a season. I've got high hopes for Williams being able to put up a strong fight and score regularly.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 16 April 2012 - 11:15.

#2314 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:22

There is no way of proving that Pastor and Bruno are 'mediocre' anyway, they are the two driving the car, we have no way of saying someone else would be faster.

We know how "mediocre" Maldonado is by comparing him to Barrichello, who was a known talent (beat Jenson many times, the same Jenson who is giving Hamilton a Big headache). I think its safe to say he might have even improved a bit since last year, as his learning curve is probably still on the rise. He is really fast but a bit wild.

As for Bruno, imo its only now (2012) that we can start really measuring what he can do, as Hispania wasnt a proper F1.

#2315 Tract1on

Tract1on

• 330 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:30

:rotfl:

Bernie: "She's good looking. And luckily, she's also quite clever. For a girl."

Good job Bruno and Pastor!
Happy 70th Sir Frank.

#2316 Tract1on

Tract1on

• 330 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:36

I think it was 2007, not that it matters too much.
Shame he didnt make a comeback i always liked Mika!

Theyd put Hakkinen in a Mclaren in 2006 I think, and he ended dead last on the sheets. Not sure why these guys are slow in dtm, but they sure arent the drivers they used to be.

Anyway, more pr moves from williams imo.

Edited by Tract1on, 16 April 2012 - 11:38.

#2317 Tract1on

Tract1on

• 330 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:54

Will the Williams car be suited to Monaco do you guys think?
Both drivers seem to be pretty good around the circuit, they both won there in GP2. Pastor did well there last year until he was punted off.

#2318 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,316 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:56

Happy Birthday Sir Frank Williams

#2319 WilliamsFWPH

WilliamsFWPH

• 43 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 13:30

Happy Birthday to Sir Frank Williams, one of the few living legends of this Formula 1

Advertisement

#2320 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,687 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 13:38

Williams has previously been linked with former HRT boss Colin Kolles, who left the Spanish team at the end of last year.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98913

Uh. Kolles is nothing more than fantastic! When it comes to managing teams in absolute survival-mode. Which, Williams is not in.

#2321 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,687 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 13:38

Williams has previously been linked with former HRT boss Colin Kolles, who left the Spanish team at the end of last year.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98913

Uh. Kolles is nothing more than fantastic! When it comes to managing teams in absolute survival-mode. Which, Williams is not in.

#2322 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 17:37

We know how "mediocre" Maldonado is by comparing him to Barrichello, who was a known talent (beat Jenson many times, the same Jenson who is giving Hamilton a Big headache).

In his first season in F1. And he was closer to Rubens than the Hulk was in his first season, a driver who I like, but some see as basically the second coming.

#2323 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 109 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 17:44

Maldonado would have scored more points than barrichello if it was not for Hamilton.

#2324 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,503 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 17:53

Kolles to Williams as a replacement for Parr?! Don't make me laugh!!

....Good, very good performance in China! However with their not so effective DRS, they will once again have a relatively rough time in Bahrain qualifying.
In race-pace they stack up really well and it's encouraging to see that if anything they performed better after the three-week break.

#2325 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 19:12

Well, Maldonado simply proved last year, that as long as he is able to keep racing without major mistakes, you shouldn't be afraid that many drivers would achieve much better position in the same car. He may be not a complete driver, but if he lacks something, that's not the speed for sure!

The same for Senna. If he is able to keep Maldonado's pace while both racing without major mistakes, that's sign that he doesn't underperform.

You could be complaining about them when you would see them crashing, running off the track often, struggling with development of the car or setup... but if not, there is no reason to claim that they aren't doing well enough (as long as Senna is close to Maldonado in terms of pace). If they're able to prepare the quick car and have a clean race, that's ok, they have done good enough, Maldonado had never been really struggling for pace against Barrichello although he had very limited testing before his rookie season in F1.

So as I say, :up: for them for China. If they're able to keep this work for the majority of the season, that means that they were the best choice for the team from available drivers. Nobody of drivers available for Williams this winter would outpace them that much to compensate the money that they bring together.

#2326 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 19:25

I will rather ask Professor his will bofore Kolles!

Bahrain is different to China.l we will so how it will go, perhaps suit Williasm better there?

#2327 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 19:51

Not sure about Bahrain. As far as I remember it was very average circuit for Williams several last years. They were neither strong nor very weak there. Usually fighting for 1-2 points, nothing more, but nothing less.

Considering that traction was reported not to be the strongest side of FW34 and that their DRS effect is weaker than at most other teams, it doesn't seem that it will be a Williams' track.

However, FW34 looked very good during braking at Melbourne, and bigger temperature may be an advantage if you include the way that FW34 treats its tyres this season. So slighty improvement over China is possible, but I don't expect anything special. I think Barcelona and Monaco will suit much better, and with the major package of upgrades, it will be interesting to see what Williams can do at these circuits.

Edited by Anderis, 16 April 2012 - 19:53.

#2328 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:46

Chinese GP Review

Mark Gillan, Chief Operations Engineer:
Q: Mark, congratulations on Williams' first double points finish since Korea in 2010. What sort of a boost will this result give to the team?
MG: Getting both cars into the points is a very good result and one that every single person in the team can be proud of, especially given the disappointing 2011 season. The team has been further invigorated by this result to push even harder in what is clearly a very tightly spaced grid, with fierce competition.

Q: Can you sum up the performance of the FW34 around the Shanghai International Circuit?
MG: The car's performance in Shanghai was good in both single lap and in particular race pace, when tyre management was paramount. This race was an interesting one as the track temperatures changed quite a bit throughout the weekend, which made setting the car up to optimise the tyre performance more difficult.

Q: You started the drivers on different tyre compounds, Bruno on primes and Pastor on options. Why was that?
MG: It was a difficult choice to make but we felt that splitting the strategies, with both cars being beside each other on the grid, was the prudent decision to take.

Q: How marginal was a two-stop strategy, given that Shanghai is a high degradation circuit?
MG: It was marginal, especially given the close nature of the racing, but both the drivers and the car managed the tyres well.

Q: Can you sum up the driving performances of Bruno and Pastor over the weekend?
MG: I am very pleased with both of their performances and they fought very hard during the race against stiff competition to secure ten points in total. Their feedback during the event is also excellent which helps us further develop and optimise the car.

Q: Pastor set the fourth fastest lap of the race - quicker than Webber, Hamilton, Vettel and Rosberg. What can be read into such an impressive lap time?
MG: Pastor was very quick in that section of the race and he felt the car to be very strong with a good balance.

Q: The Bahrain Grand Prix comes next. What sort of challenge is the circuit and what should we expect from the Williams FW34 there?
MG: On the back of a good weekend in China we are aiming to get both cars into the points again this week. Bahrain will be a tough race, not least due to the high ambient temperatures which can necessitate opening the engine cover body-work to the maximum.

Bahrain will be really tough. There are few high speed corners and a lot of straight. In my view this is where the FW34 has been weakest so far after looking in detail at the sector times from the past GPs. I wonder if the cooling package seen in Malaysia will be all that's needed?

#2329 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,032 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 23:31

Good result for the team. It looks like hiring Wolff is already paying off.

#2330 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:09

Chinese GP Review

Bahrain will be really tough. There are few high speed corners and a lot of straight. In my view this is where the FW34 has been weakest so far after looking in detail at the sector times from the past GPs. I wonder if the cooling package seen in Malaysia will be all that's needed?

Melbourne is like that and they were good there, fighting team Alonso.

#2331 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:23

Good result for the team. It looks like hiring Wolff is already paying off.

It's the influence of Suzie's calm head that's helped calm Pastor slightly.

#2332 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 15:52

In this site you can find some photos of older Williams cars. :up:

http://sportv.globo....ms-70/#comments

#2333 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 18:31

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98931

Sounds like there's a decent atmosphere within the team this season.

#2334 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 18:51

Bahrain GP Preview

When: Friday 20 to Sunday 22 April, 2012
Where: Sakhir, Bahrain
Round: 4 of 20

Mark Gillan, Chief Operations Engineer: Having held the race on the longer endurance course layout in 2010, the 2012 race has now reverted back to the 5.412km long, 57 lap Grand Prix layout. One of the main problems imposed by this circuit is the very hot local ambient conditions of typically 35°C and track temperature rising into the high 40°C’s. These conditions force teams to open up the engine cooling bodywork which in turn can adversely affect the aerodynamic efficiency.

The layout of the circuit means the likelihood of a safety car is very low. The DRS zone detection point is just before the penultimate corner and the activation point is along the main straight. Pirelli have brought the same tyre compounds as used in both Australia and China, namely the Prime medium and Option soft tyre, and tyre management will once again be the main priority. Having got both cars home in the points in China the whole team is eager to repeat this result in Bahrain this coming weekend.

Pastor Maldonado: I like the circuit layout, and it should suit our car because of the hot conditions. It is also a challenging circuit for tyre degradation so we need to prepare for that. It was satisfying to score my first points of the season in China and hopefully I can pick up some more points in Bahrain.

Bruno Senna: Bahrain is a challenging track with a number of long straights followed by big braking areas so the car has to be set up differently to many other circuits. Cars with a big DRS effect will have an advantage so it will be interesting to see how teams will perform. We have good momentum from the first three races of the season and hopefully we can carry that into this race.

Rémi Taffin, Head of Renault Sport F1 Track Operations: Sakhir is relatively similar in characteristic to Shanghai, so we will re-use the China engines again on both cars. Around 50% of the lap is spent at full throttle, but there are fewer slow corners so we work towards delivering driveability through the higher end of the rev range. We will target another trouble-free weekend to allow the team to capitalise on its China results and we are all very positive about the performance of the chassis-engine package so far this year.

Paul Hembery, Pirelli Motorsport Director: Once more we have nominated the soft and the medium tyre for Bahrain but these tyres will face a very different challenge to what we saw in China. Temperatures are expected to be very warm, and sand is often seen on the track in Bahrain from the surrounding desert which can affect grip, particularly at the beginning of each session. Traction and braking is very important at the circuit, which we tested at twice as we were preparing to return to Formula One, so we do have some data even though we are racing there for the first time.

#2335 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,337 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:10

Just when Williams have a great result I hear terrible news about a worker from the Catering department who has had her contract ripped up for refusing to attend Bahrain on moral grounds, I think that is a bit harsh.

On Joe Sawards blog jr says that he is friends with the lady in question and it's more complicated than that.

#2336 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:47

I think the car will go well this weekend, interesting to see how the tyres fare in the hotter conditions.

#2337 Kyo

Kyo

• 800 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:13

who's gonna drive FP1? Bottas or Senna?

#2338 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,677 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:22

who's gonna drive FP1? Bottas or Senna?

According to formula1.com, Bottas.

#2339 BRG

BRG

• 11,501 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:31

According to formula1.com, Bottas.

If he's got any sense, he would make this one of the races where he doesn't drive FP1.

Advertisement

#2340 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 109 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:24

Just seen this article.

http://formula-one.s...williams-surge/

Rubens Barrichello seems very bitter about leaving Formula 1. There is another article about how he would drop IndyCar and move back to F1 at a moments notice. I feel that Rubens needs to be very careful that he doesn't come across as bitter and resentful as this could harm his chances in IndyCar.

#2341 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:46

Barrichello claims credit for Williams surge

http://www.totalf1.c...Williams_surge/

#2342 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:49

Part credit, which is probably fair if he were pushing for changes.

#2343 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 15:15

Low profile for both drivers in FP's, hope it's not sign of problems.

This year's car development is contrast to last year's - while last year they were bringing updates to almost every track (which often didn't work), this year it seems that tey aren't developing the car at all. I hope for a big (and functional) update for the next race.

#2344 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 17:30

Williams was doing long runs all throughout FP2 while others were still doing 3 lap runs, the car seems ok i think, the prime tyre should be the best race tyre again, the soft was leaving big chunks of rubber on the track.

Like, very visible, when the cars go through it.
Even if Williams go to Q3 i think they should consider doing it on primes.

Edited by Sevach, 20 April 2012 - 17:31.

#2345 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 17:38

Bahrain GP Practice

Objectives
• Aero evaluations and set-up work in P1
• Tyre runs and set-up work in P2

Mark Gillan, Chief Operations Engineer: As will be the case at the majority of races this season, Valtteri drove in the morning session alongside Pastor, with Bruno getting back into his car for the afternoon. Unfortunately Bruno's track time was compromised by a small electrical problem which was quickly diagnosed and resolved. Both sessions were dominated by the performance of the medium and soft tyres as we worked to optimise the set-ups to balance the car for the difficult track conditions. We improved both cars from the morning session to the afternoon, but still have work to do to improve things further ahead of qualifying and the race.

Pastor Maldonado: It was a busy day but we completed our programme. We were concentrating more on our race pace, but I feel happy as overall the car is looking consistent. I’m looking forward to getting into qualifying tomorrow.

Bruno Senna: Today was quite a difficult day with tough track conditions. We found a good direction for the car though and our long runs this afternoon looked consistent. We just need to keep chipping away to ensure an optimum set-up for the race.

Valtteri Bottas: It was pretty warm out there but it’s not as humid as it was in Malaysia. We got all the data we needed this morning so it was a productive session. It was also good for me to get more mileage on another new track, completing some consistent runs. Overall, I am happy with how it went and I think we will see a good race on Sunday.

Very much focusing on the race, which is good news. No points awarded on Saturday!

#2346 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:58

Just finished watching The F1 Show on Sky. There was a quick piece on Sir Frank on his birthday who said he simply wants to be known as a competitor, not a cheat when he exits the sport. What a man!

#2347 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 21:46

Just finished watching The F1 Show on Sky. There was a quick piece on Sir Frank on his birthday who said he simply wants to be known as a competitor, not a cheat when he exits the sport. What a man!

GREAT

#2348 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:24

Need of a new gearbox for MAL. Puts him slightly on the back foot for the race if the cars end up outside the top 10 later. However, he showed that points are still possible from quite a long way back after the first couple of laps last week.

#2349 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:14

Bad day at the office.

#2350 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:20

Not a great day of course, but our poor qualifying pace and traction aren't helping. We will see if with the new package the qualifying problem gets drastically improved.