Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#2501 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 849 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 18:41

Congratulation for Pastor, great efforts!! And happy birthday for Frank :)

Advertisement

#2502 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 6,864 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 18:57

I think in the case of a grid drop they keep it but he was disqualified so his time is essentially removed leaving Maldonado's time the fastest so it should be Maldonado's. Certainly is on wikipedia, though that doesn't mean a huge amount

Even in the case of a grid drop penalty the guy who inherits first is considered to be on pole. Basically it's the guy who starts from the first grid spot, whatever happens. For an example see the 2005 Italian Grand Prix. Raikkonen set the fastest time but Montoya is recorded as having pole position.

#2503 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 6,864 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 19:00

Isn't Sir Frank's birthday the 16th of April? Bit of a late party is it?

#2504 KoezhVukotic

KoezhVukotic

• 235 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 19:10

Even in the case of a grid drop penalty the guy who inherits first is considered to be on pole. Basically it's the guy who starts from the first grid spot, whatever happens. For an example see the 2005 Italian Grand Prix. Raikkonen set the fastest time but Montoya is recorded as having pole position.

Ah ok, I wasn't sure on it with grid drops but it makes sense

#2505 djparky

djparky

• 158 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 19:12

didn't want it this way- but as a Williams fan I'm thrilled to see them at the front of the grid- unlike the Hulk's lap (which was great) the car has looked like a genuine front runner this weekend- if Maldo can turn this into a win tomorrow I will be leaping around my living room with joy- it has been a long and painful few years watching them fall to the back of the grid. If Williams can't get a win then I'd like to see the Kimster or Grosjean do the business

#2506 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 19:20

Once again the man behind the scenes really proves his worth: Mike Coughlan.

One of the best - if not the best - aero guy in the business. I was really waiting for this car to be born. Still I think the driver's line up is not what it should be.

I wish Hamilton would dump Mclaren and go for an adventure with Williams F1, and bring back this team to glory.

#2507 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 19:22

My question is.....
Will the pole really be attributed to Williams and Pastor ?
Or do they only get the race position....... and the 'english' driver still get the statistic ?

This one is all Maldonado and Williams!!!!!

YES!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And not just because the entire grid was dsqed too. Im very impressed with that williams.

#2508 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 19:24

Isn't Sir Frank's birthday the 16th of April? Bit of a late party is it?

the celebration is today in the garage, as he was not going to the fly away races anymore (I believe). Bruno's excellent scoring position and Pastors points finished were already dedicated to him.

Now is Williams could only sign Lewis (and a crowd of sponsors) the team can get back to WDC level. They already have one of the best aero guys in the business (Coughlan), got one of the best engines (and got rid of their weaknesses Parr and Michael.)

#2509 sniper80

sniper80

• 518 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 19:26

Nice pole for Williams. No chanche for the racewin though in the hands of Pastor.

#2510 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,544 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 19:41

Once again the man behind the scenes really proves his worth: Mike Coughlan.

One of the best - if not the best - aero guy in the business. I was really waiting for this car to be born. Still I think the driver's line up is not what it should be.

I wish Hamilton would dump Mclaren and go for an adventure with Williams F1, and bring back this team to glory.

I wonder if Gillan's input isn't even more important than Coughlan's in this case. For sure he was one of the people responsible of diagnosing the car's weakness and deciding how it was going to be solved. I mean weak DRS effect and upgraded rear wing which has helped to solve that problem and allowed Pastor to fight at the very top today. Williams seem to have very clever approach to testing and FPS this season and that's Gillan's merit.

About drivers: although current pairing seem to be far from being ideal, I think Maldonado is comfortably one of the 10 fastest guys in F1 right now. He reminds me Hamilton very much. He sometimes doesn't score as much points as he could due to being too agressive, but he is really quick and almost unbeatable on his good day. He may not be a complete driver, but I'm sure Williams doesn't really need faster driver than Pastor. And the amount of cash that he brings... The issue is to have more consistent driver than Senna in second race seat. And I think Bottas is a good deal. He seemed very mature and consistent from the very beginning at the F1 car. And he brings some sponsorship too. I think Maldonado-Bottas would be good enough pairing for 2013. Pastor will get more consistent when he will become accustomed to fighting for big points. I mean he will be more efficient, because he is usually very quick right now, but not always scores enough points.

Edited by Anderis, 12 May 2012 - 19:42.

#2511 Mendel

Mendel

• 148 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 19:55

Mika Salo seems to think Bottas is going to be racing driver some time during this season. He said he had a talk with Frank and he read it between the lines.

#2512 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 20:15

Mika Salo seems to think Bottas is going to be racing driver some time during this season. He said he had a talk with Frank and he read it between the lines.

Only happening if Senna has payment issues

#2513 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,412 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 20:20

Nice pole for Williams. No chanche for the racewin though in the hands of Pastor.

Not nice at all. I can guarantee you that no-one at Williams wanted pole this way.

#2514 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 779 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 20:30

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just fantastic

#2515 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 6,864 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 20:45

the celebration is today in the garage, as he was not going to the fly away races anymore (I believe). Bruno's excellent scoring position and Pastors points finished were already dedicated to him.

Fair enough :)

#2516 acey

acey

• 147 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 20:46

Been through too much to hope. If someone would offer me a 6th place for Pastor right now I would grab it with both hands!

#2517 GAZF1nut

GAZF1nut

• 585 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 20:56

How was the long run pace of the Williams in comparison to the Lotus, Mclaren & the Red Bull?

#2518 joora

joora

• 327 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 21:00

I wonder what would happen if he manages to stay in front on the start. I think he would be able to create a buffer zone, since I think Williams is currently a better car than Ferrari. But, it will be tough, since Ferrari has great launch control, which Alonso proved on a number of occasions.

What ever happens, it is impressive that Williams made such a step forward in qualifying performance. If they've improved upon already solid race performance too, I think we could watch williams first road to victory after a long time.

But, being a long term williams fan, I don't hope too much.

#2519 joora

joora

• 327 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 21:04

How was the long run pace of the Williams in comparison to the Lotus, Mclaren & the Red Bull?

They were a bit slower than those three (their pace was equal to Lotus in the first races tho), mixing it with Ferraris. But their quali performance was weak.

I don't know what they did to the car with the Mugello upgrades, but it seems to be lightning fast in quali now. Some gains in race pace are expected too, although it is hard to say how much.

Advertisement

#2520 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 21:12

I am beginning to think that Williams us becoming once again he force as early as mid season 2012.

Congraturation, Wiliams Grand Prix Team. What a fantastic turn around! I noted my feeling after seeing some updates photographs from Mugello. Happy to be confirmed that the team made a great step forward.
Happy D-Day Frank and Oh,, what a great Saturday.

But the race is tomorrow. Pastor, please keep the car on tracktill the end of the race and get home as hogh possition as possible!!!
You are serving the large force!!

#2521 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,577 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 22:31

Well done. Good to see them back scoring a first in something!

#2522 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 22:38

Fantastic :eek:

The car haz pace :love:

Bottas P2 in Fp1 moments before the end of practice.
Mad Maldo P2 in Qualy.

:( Its a pitty that Ferrari haz a new lauching system since the begin of the year... Mad Maldo haz no change in the Race start Drag race to the first corner.

:mad: Rubens is sooooo unlucky

Edited by IceSkyrim, 12 May 2012 - 22:39.

#2523 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 00:00

What a brilliant job by Williams and PM. The car is really showing well, even with the regular exhaust. Exhaust effect could be a big distraction maybe - certainly Williams are finding speed elsewhere.

#2524 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 00:55

Great job by Williams today and Pastor :up: on your first pole!

#2525 dimoose

dimoose

• 67 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:40

If the williams is as good in the race than in qualifing + more new tyres up sleeve
Senna has podium in the bag!!

#2526 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:58

I am on mobile so will keep this short.

First of all, incredible lap by Pastor. I'd love to see a view of it from on board, as Bruno's car seemed to be behaving awfully over the bumps in turns 9 and 10. Was Pastor having to deal with the same set up?

I was pessimistic before qualifying, but have followed Pastor's pace via live timing every race so far and know that be can deliver lap times that will give him a shot of a fantastic result. Please keep it clean!

Obviously the team have done an awesome job in developing the car. Well done all!

#2527 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 779 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:05

I am on mobile so will keep this short.

First of all, incredible lap by Pastor. I'd love to see a view of it from on board, as Bruno's car seemed to be behaving awfully over the bumps in turns 9 and 10. Was Pastor having to deal with the same set up?

I was pessimistic before qualifying, but have followed Pastor's pace via live timing every race so far and know that be can deliver lap times that will give him a shot of a fantastic result. Please keep it clean!

Obviously the team have done an awesome job in developing the car. Well done all!

I too am on my mobile but heading back to be able to watch the race on tv; while I don't think we will win today with luck a good points haul is most definitely on the cards ....

So good luck to both drivers and go the team too!

Edited by Lord Snooty, 13 May 2012 - 08:07.

#2528 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:10

I wonder how fast that Williams would be with Alonso driving it.

Tremendous effort by everyone in that team,im so happy for them.

#2529 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,420 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:00

If the williams is as good in the race than in qualifing + more new tyres up sleeve
Senna has podium in the bag!!

Yeah but Barcelona is still tough to pass on, even with DRS, KERS etc. 2 years ago Button got held behind a much slower Schumacher for lap after lap, last year Hamilton had a small pace advantage over Vettel and just couldn't nail him. Maybe they've lenghtened the DRS zone from lats year, which would help, but I'm not holding out too much hope for Senna.

Hope I'm wrong though, imagine a double podium on Franks Birthday! :clap:

#2530 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:01

Fingers crossed for a nice clean getaway, then we will see how much pace the car has. Hope Senna can progress through the grid as well.

#2531 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,544 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:09

I'm sure it wouldn't be years ahead of what is now. Pastor is proving for many months that he doesn't lack the speed. He didn't deliver many points in first races, but it was due to mistakes and some bad luck, not due to speed. The speed is in place. He has shown more potential that in terms of speed than Rubens last year. I think he is comfortably one of the 10 quickest F1 drivers.

So maybe with Alonso Williams would have significantly more points right now, but I doubt if significantly better pace too.

#2532 Nemo29E

Nemo29E

• 124 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:37

Doubt it would be any different, Maldonado has proven himself to be a quick driver. (if you watch replay he was really on it) His light pace last year was always good and this year his race pace seems much improved too. Despite his points he has been driving great this year and I expect the points will come.

Given the Ferrari's track record I expect it to be 1st come turn one tho. :/

#2533 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,448 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:56

can't say I saw this coming. great effort!

#2534 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:17

Am really quite nervous!

#2535 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 779 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:23

Am really quite nervous!

:up:

#2536 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:25

:up:

I will be very satisfied when Pastir is on podium. I will not ask him to win. Score points! We have 16 races to go.

#2537 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:27

GO PasThor Maldonado :p

FW34 = Mjolnir

#2538 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:27

I don't expect a win, if Pastor manages it I will actually cry.

#2539 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 779 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:31

I don't expect a win, if Pastor manages it I will actually cry.

i don't think you will be alone matey

Advertisement

#2540 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:36

PasTHOR is already my favourite to a Monaco win :up:

#2541 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:39

He'll cock this up somehow

#2542 Beatrix

Beatrix

• 146 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:41

i don't think you will be alone matey

If I didn't live alone I'd have some pre-cut onions to have an excuse! It's been a very long wait...

#2543 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,399 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:42

I'm sure it wouldn't be years ahead of what is now. Pastor is proving for many months that he doesn't lack the speed. He didn't deliver many points in first races, but it was due to mistakes and some bad luck, not due to speed. The speed is in place. He has shown more potential that in terms of speed than Rubens last year. I think he is comfortably one of the 10 quickest F1 drivers.

So maybe with Alonso Williams would have significantly more points right now, but I doubt if significantly better pace too.

Agreed. He's always been very quick on his day throughout his junior career, just took some years to get it together into that dominant GP2 season.

#2544 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:51

You know, of all the tracks I would have expected a front row for Williams Barcelona traditionally would have been the last. Really shows how the team has changed.

#2545 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:52

I get this very strong feeling that Pastor is serving his duty. He is strong in this kind of situation. This is nothing more than my hutch. But he is very cool because he is racing for major force, more than he races for himsekf's fame. We will see.

#2546 joora

joora

• 327 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:49

First! Gooooo williams

#2547 joora

joora

• 327 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:49

First! Gooooo williams

#2548 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 13:40

Oh my God 2 laps to go and I can only listen on the radio!!!

#2549 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,464 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 13:43

First since JPM in Brazil.

#2550 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 13:43

So happy! What a drive!!!!