Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#2601 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:28

Uber congrats to Williams and Sir Frank; he utterly deserved that :up: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Advertisement

#2602 Incast

Incast

• 92 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:28

A lifelong Williams fan - simply can't believe we finally won again. Well done Williams!

Edited by Incast, 13 May 2012 - 14:28.

#2603 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,470 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:31

Yep, Williams went aggressive to get the jump in the stops and it paid off big time, a great job! He who dares wins.

:up: That's a team with winning in it's DNA

Too right. You never forget how to win. It's not just about having a fast car, but knowing how to race it properly. Williams have that knowledge.

#2604 dtc

dtc

• 85 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:33

Good for team Williams, good for sir Frank Williams, good for F1 in general. Well done. :up: :up: :up:

#2605 dutchie

dutchie

• 118 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:39

A lifelong Williams fan - simply can't believe we finally won again. Well done Williams!

Same here, I thought I was going to have a heart attack at Pastor's last stop. Absolutely amazing day.

#2606 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,911 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:47

Very happy for the team, sir Frank and Maldonado. I have long thought that the use of the perjorative term 'pay driver' was unwarranted. Allow me to let you into a secret; Maldonado won't be doing any impersonations of Molasses on a cold day 'round Monte Carlo.

#2607 Rebbeharc

Rebbeharc

• 52 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:48

Well done Williams & Maldonado.

F1 really is a better place when Williams is winning!

#2608 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:04

Congratulations to Williams. Damn, it was about time.

#2609 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:04

The changes this season have been remarkable. It's an amazing team effort. Can't wait to get home and watch the race!

#2610 FordFan

FordFan

• 3,458 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:05

Unbelievably, Pastor may be the bookies favorite to win in Monte Carlo.

#2611 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 809 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:09

there is a fire in the william's garage at Barca.. live on the BBC F1 forum now

#2612 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:09

The pit garage is on fire! Seems like everyone made it out.

Edited by Dispenser89, 13 May 2012 - 15:10.

#2613 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:11

Well done Williams and Pastor now Williams really needs to horry up and get Valtteri Bottas in to the other car because he is on the same level alreaydy as a driver as Pastor is....Senna is too far of specially on quali despitate some good races.

#2614 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:11

:up: Well done.

It was amazing to see how much less track Maldo was using, compared to Alonso.
Even though Maldo did his last 26 lap stint better than Alonso's 22 LS.

Very precise driving :yawnface:

The micro-gearbox is making a difference at last :up:

Edited by IceSkyrim, 13 May 2012 - 15:18.

#2615 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:13

Congrats to everybody at williams team!! Wonderful job, I need to admit that I was chering for Pastor as he was a brazilian today. So happy for him and for Frank!! Now I'm sure that we can fight Lotus and Mercedes...
:clap: :clap: :clap:

As Frank said congrats for Adam Parr too for rebuilding the team...

#2616 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:14

Winning!!! +1

#2617 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,073 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:20

Hope the reported injuries aren't too bad :(

#2618 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:20

Hope everyone in the Williams pits are ok. Injuries were reported but hope they aren't serious. KERS related is of concern.

#2619 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,470 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:24

That puts a bit of a downer on the weekend. I hope everyone's OK. :|

Advertisement

#2620 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:27

I said Williams were crazy to get two pay drivers this season, I'll admit to saying I thought Pastor didn't deserve an F1 drive.

I am now eating a rather large slice of humble pie, I admit to being totally wrong. He drove a stunning race today, didn't put a foot wrong even under pressure. Excellent drive!

#2621 P123

P123

• 8,710 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 16:52

Congratulations from the previous Williams winner. :)

#2622 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,256 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 17:04

Absolutely fantastic win for Williams and Maldonaldo. I wouldn't say they've been one of my favourites in the past, but I'm glad to see them back up the front where they rightfully belong. :up:

#2623 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 17:06

Made a quick illustration to celebrate todays win

Posted Image

#2624 911

• 2,208 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 17:07

Well done, Pastor & Williams! It's great to see Willaims on the top spot of the podium, again. Now let's see if Bruno can up his game.

#2625 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,911 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 17:20

I said Williams were crazy to get two pay drivers this season, I'll admit to saying I thought Pastor didn't deserve an F1 drive.

I am now eating a rather large slice of humble pie, I admit to being totally wrong. He drove a stunning race today, didn't put a foot wrong even under pressure. Excellent drive!

There's no shame in admitting you were wrong.....Hope everyone at the team escaped the fire unhurt. Does anyone know if a certain Sam Michael was in the garage at the time?.......Only joking!

#2626 August

August

• 2,252 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 18:39

Nice to see Williams winning once again. But what do you think, can Williams fight for more wins this season? I think they can if the conditions are right for them. E.g. in Oz they had good race pace, and I would be almost surprised if they have no more podiums this season, it's often been said you're good on most tracks if you're good at BCN. On the other hand, I think Williams won't have as rapid development rate as RBR, Macca, Merc, Ferrari, and maybe Lotus.

But, Pastor giving Williams the team's first win since 2004 makes this day my fondest F1 memory after Brawn GP's 1-2 in their debut race.

#2627 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 19:37

That has completely lifted my spirits - what a great win. Pastor you are one cool driver - keeping your head with Alonso breathing down you neck. Outstanding in every way.

#2628 djparky

djparky

• 172 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 19:47

Uber congrats to Williams and Sir Frank; he utterly deserved that :up: :clap: :clap: :clap:

agreed- been a fan since the days of Alan Jones and rather despaired with the state the team had gotten into in recent years- didn't really believe they could turn it round as well as they have this year

It's been so long since they lead races I had also forgotten how nervous I used to get watching the races when Williams were fighting for wins before- I could hardly watch the final few laps- although did just see it on repeat on Sky

there was much cheering when Maldo got the chequered flag. truly well done Williams- hope for a swift recovery for those folk caught in the pit fire

#2629 FordFan

FordFan

• 3,458 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:20

Wonder if the cars were damaged in the fire?

#2630 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:22

Probably just Senna's in that case. Maldonado's was still in part fermé.

#2631 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 3,240 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:22

What a super result... Was clinching my chair when Alonso got into the DRS zone there... fortunately Pastor was da man and kept it together. Pretty good for a pay driver, eh? :) The guy seems to be developing into a serious force on the grid.

And Williams is back! Williams is back! Williams is back!!! They were sorely missed. And am guessing that doing their thing and keeping their engineering department going ultimately was a correct decision despite what people said... well 5 months ago or so. There is still quite a big difference between real manufacturers and buy-(half)-a-car teams.

On a funny note. Everyone was praising Räikkönen for going to Renault instead of Williams. Well...

#2632 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:24

What a super result... Was clinching my chair when Alonso got into the DRS zone there... fortunately Pastor was da man and kept it together. Pretty good for a pay driver, eh? :) The guy seems to be developing into a serious force on the grid.

And Williams is back! Williams is back! Williams is back!!! They were sorely missed. And am guessing that doing their thing and keeping their engineering department going ultimately was a correct decision despite what people said... well 5 months ago or so. There is still quite a big difference between real manufacturers and buy-(half)-a-car teams.

On a funny note. Everyone was praising Räikkönen for going to Renault instead of Williams. Well...

Indeed! And any of you big ass companies: get on the phone NOW for a GOOD sponsorship deal and secure Williams future. Maldonado and the team are bound to do well at Monaco. :up:

#2633 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:33

Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Still sinking in after so long, and having backed Pastor all the way, just amazing.

#2634 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,144 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:20

Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, Oh My

Still sinking in after so long, and having backed Pastor all the way, just amazing.

I'm happy for you :wave:
Congrats to Williams and Pastor.

#2635 Tract1on

Tract1on

• 330 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:22

Great drive from Pastor, under extreeme pressure what a performance!
So happy to see Williams back on the top step.
I hope Bruno has some luck at Monaco, both Pastor and Bruno seem to do well there, so could be another good weekend!

#2636 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,342 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 22:24

Yep, Williams went aggressive to get the jump in the stops and it paid off big time, a great job! He who dares wins.

You contrast that to Sauber in Malaysia telling Sergion Perez to settle for second place when he was hounding Alonso for the lead.

The smart bet would probably have been to pit Moldanado during the last stint and settle for second or third.

#2637 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 22:28

I do not know any case where fire broke out at the pit during closing down. Personals must have been there and not sure his much fuel were left there. Kinda strange to find out just now sorry for the guys but hope that guys in hospitals are ok!

#2638 Lennat

Lennat

• 548 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 22:32

Williams might be my favorite of the midfielders, as they actually build the entire car themselves. I don't really like how teams as Marussia and Force India have technical partnerships with Mclaren for instance, it is against the spirit of F1 to me. I don't blame them for doing it, as it actually is allowed and probably gains them, but I still don't like it and therefore have a lot of respect for Williams as they do it the hard way.

#2639 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,881 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 22:34

really happy for williams and pasta :D

Advertisement

#2640 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,459 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 22:39

I was super impressed (and dismayed!) when Williams went with an aggressive strategy to get past Alonso today, I can't help but feel had that been one of the other midfield teams they might have shadowed Alonso and settled for second. Great car, great strategy and great drive from Maldonado!

#2641 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 22:50

I was super impressed (and dismayed!) when Williams went with an aggressive strategy to get past Alonso today, I can't help but feel had that been one of the other midfield teams they might have shadowed Alonso and settled for second. Great car, great strategy and great drive from Maldonado!

Ferrari should have promptly responded by pitting in the following lap.

Sweet snobish decadence :lol:

#2642 KavB

KavB

• 1,149 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 22:54

If you have a sniff of victory, you have to take it! Even though 2nd is still a huge result, I think teams should be a bit greedy...

Williams are a team who know how to win; Most of their team may be different from the early 00s/90s but they still have it in them. Sauber and Force India weren't aggressive enough when they had a shout at winning which is why they only scored a 2nd in Malaysia and Spa 09.

Sauber must really be regretting not pushing that little extra to get the win in Malaysia.

#2643 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 22:58

Yes Ferrari must be happy as there
could have been one more team which found have used the same tactics.

Edited by One, 13 May 2012 - 22:59.

#2644 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 23:31

Flawless race by Maldonado which surprised me a bit, after the start I expected a repeat of Australia when Pastor binned it chasing Alonso..

Much needed win for Williams, too bad about the fire in the garage though :|

Senna had a terrible weekend, but to cut the guy some slack, this nonsense about Bottas driving his car way too often is just about the stupidest thing I've seen a team do. Either have Bottas be the race driver or stop compromising Senna's weekends, FFS!

#2645 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,980 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 00:40

Nice to see Williams winning once again. But what do you think, can Williams fight for more wins this season? I think they can if the conditions are right for them. E.g. in Oz they had good race pace, and I would be almost surprised if they have no more podiums this season, it's often been said you're good on most tracks if you're good at BCN. On the other hand, I think Williams won't have as rapid development rate as RBR, Macca, Merc, Ferrari, and maybe Lotus.

But, Pastor giving Williams the team's first win since 2004 makes this day my fondest F1 memory after Brawn GP's 1-2 in their debut race.

from watching the previous races I think they are as quick as any body in race trim, it was their quali pace that was suspect. so if they can continue to start up front they have the pace to be competitive.
amazing turn around from just last season!

#2646 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:08

Great, so great to see Team Willie in victory lane, and with Frank in the garage it was a doubly good thing. Didn't see Patrick there so I guess he was away taking care of business but he will be greatly heartened.

So what happened? Well the car does seem to be one which responds to setup rather well, so that is a big departure from the last few seasons where at many tracks the car was incapable of "working". Then you have to recognise Maldonado for the great job he did, both in qualifying on the front row of the grid - no small feat for a guy of his experience - and for staying calm throughout. It was a drive worthy of a champion - after being outdragged from the start he didn't become embroiled in a tussle which would destroy his tyres so he settled in, outside the dirty air zone. And of course he didn't allow Alonso to fluster him in those dramatic last 20 laps. Then the team strategy - fantastic! They went for the win they believed could be their's, did the work in pitlane and kept their driver focussed and calm.

Someone here said the team still know how to win, they got that right, despite my lack of confidence in them. The major reshuffle of senior stuff in the recent past seems to be paying big time. Williams F1, welcome back!

#2647 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:40

M
I
K
E

C
O
U
G
H
L
A
N

#2648 MP422

MP422

• 2,036 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:44

Congrats Williams fans ! Well deserved win on pure merit. It's been far too long for you guys and gals !!

#2649 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:59

Nice pole for Williams. No chanche for the racewin though in the hands of Pastor.

Sorry to be looking so smug this morning :cat:

That just about sums up my feelings on the matter! I couldn't watch the race live yesterday but recorded it and watched last night. I knew the result beforehand and was glad I did as I don't think I could have stood the last stint in front of the sofa!

How great is it to see Williams win again, on merit? Not bad for a pay driver! Williams the new Tyrrell! Should buy half their car from other teams like FI and Caterham!

Again I don't mena to be so smug but have wited 8 years for this!!!!!!!!!!

Here's hoping the team can do well at Monaco, both drivers go well there normally so it's shaping up nicely

#2650 faaaz

faaaz

• 1,870 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:49

Good on em, had completely ridden off Williams.