Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#2701 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 20:58

Yeah, where has Mastah gone? He was quite regular when needing to bash Pastor.

On the other nothe, I can imagine how happy randstad and the rest of the sponsors are happy now. I can also imagine some sad faces in quatar :)
I hope that there will be less sponsor space on the car from now on.

I remember this dude, after trolling all throughout pre-season, coming here to gloat after Melbourne...

Advertisement

#2702 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,430 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 21:16

I missed the race completely, having no access to TV, radio or internet on Sunday. So, on Monday morning, having managed to avoid any news, etc that might give the result away, I downloaded and watched the BBC iPlayer coverage. Unbelievable.

Then I came on here; the top thread was the Alonso one. I read the recent posts. Obviously Alonso won the race - "A true champion. He drove that Ferrari again where it doesn¨t belong. Last guy who did that in that manner is now seven times world champion."

Then I thought "What ****ing joker managed to put a spoof onto iPlayer and play with my emotions so callously?"

Then it sank in - the Alonso fan was right, to an extent. There's no way that Alonso in a Ferrari belongs behind a "pay driver" in a Williams.

Congratulations Pastor, you've given Sir Frank the best birthday present anyone could give.

#2703 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 21:16

No. FW34 is a continuation of FW33. Same philosophy, same key basic design feature: tiny gearbox, compact rear end, better flow to rear wing and diffuser. This hasn't changed. But everything became much easier with the Renault engine. Rear end packaging now actually brings out the qualities of the gearbox, as it was originally meant to be. Banning exhaust blown diffusers also brought huge gains in lap time in relation to the other teams.

The 5% figure is just marketing BS; we hear that every year. Of course, there is massive change in strategic direction this year, which makes Williams a much better team in every department.

Nobody blamed the FW33 philosophy. Infact, Sam Michaels is a talented engineer. It was a great philosophy (and that is why they decided to keep it), but it didn't work last year (for a number of reasons, one definately being Sam Michaels lack of leadership skills). Yet, this year's leadership found a way to make it work, and I'm sure that a massive part of the car has changed. Today, when the most of the field is so close together, even small aero adjustments can launch you in front.

#2704 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 21:37

The FW33 had other problems besides Cosworth, it was heavy as hell, couldn't be setup in the way it was originally intended...
When thinking of the gearbox, they already knew Cosworth was going to be their engine for that season, you can't make a hack job of an aero package and then complain about it.

Sam Michael might have had some good ideas, but ultimately, he couldn't put them together into a car.

#2705 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

• 48 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 21:43

Nobody blamed the FW33 philosophy. Infact, Sam Michaels is a talented engineer. It was a great philosophy (and that is why they decided to keep it), but it didn't work last year (for a number of reasons, one definately being Sam Michaels lack of leadership skills). Yet, this year's leadership found a way to make it work, and I'm sure that a massive part of the car has changed. Today, when the most of the field is so close together, even small aero adjustments can launch you in front.

Yes, I agree, that's why I talked about "philosophy" and not "small aero upgrades". We had upgrades last years but they didn't work, because of mis-allocation of resources, lack of direction and other stuff. Of course in hindsight it's easy to say that. Fortunately, the new engineering leadership identified exactly what went wrong with the FW33 and changed the team's fortunes completely.

The FW33 had other problems besides Cosworth, it was heavy as hell, couldn't be setup in the way it was originally intended...
When thinking of the gearbox, they already knew Cosworth was going to be their engine for that season, you can't make a hack job of an aero package and then complain about it.

Sam Michael might have had some good ideas, but ultimately, he couldn't put them together into a car.

I forgot about the excessive weight. It's things like this that show how much Williams had lost their edge. It's not 100% part of the FW33's design, but a more general degradation of the team's engineering prowess. My guess is that the FW34 is also a bit overweight. Such problems are not solved in a single season.

Edited by Mithrandir, 15 May 2012 - 21:46.

#2706 oetzi

oetzi

• 2,998 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 23:49

Belated congratulations to Williams. What a fantastic birthday present for Sir Frank. Great result for and drive by Maldonado. And what a good car the FW34 looks. It's been showing promise all year, and it came together at the weekend.

Good job all round.

#2707 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 00:16

Yes, I agree, that's why I talked about "philosophy" and not "small aero upgrades". We had upgrades last years but they didn't work, because of mis-allocation of resources, lack of direction and other stuff. Of course in hindsight it's easy to say that. Fortunately, the new engineering leadership identified exactly what went wrong with the FW33 and changed the team's fortunes completely.

I forgot about the excessive weight. It's things like this that show how much Williams had lost their edge. It's not 100% part of the FW33's design, but a more general degradation of the team's engineering prowess. My guess is that the FW34 is also a bit overweight. Such problems are not solved in a single season.

We don't know that (about the weight) and i don't think that means Williams have lost their edge, just means poor, un-refined car, bad priorities on car design.
Talking about an edge, Williams can make 7 speed seamless shift gearboxes smaller than my shoes.

The team didn't have their priorities straight last season, they had a car that weighted quite a lot and yet they concentrated on an integrated Gearbox/Rear suspension/Rear wing design that weigthed 20 kg more than the 2010 model and yet the reason why they went this way couldn't be exploited fully because the engine bulkhead (again known beforehand) wasn't shaped in the correct way.

The 33 wasn't optimized, refined or well thought out at all, it was just a general idea that sleak sidepods (some cooling issues too btw) and a small gearbox give you more downforce... and anyone can tell you that.
The problem is, you need to make a neat effective car, out of those things and Michael might've forgot about that, i'm glad he is gone btw.

#2708 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,726 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:23

Monte Carlo will be a magical,mystery tour. Anyone qualifying in the top 6 could secure the win. With enough safety car laps even a one stopper could secure the victory.

#2709 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,726 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:26

"We could not find this member in our database, it's possible that the member has been removed."

Make of that what you will.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. For all the disagreements I enjoyed the good natured banter you get with genuine race fans rather than the blinkered views of the fanboys/girls.

#2710 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

• 48 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:35

The 33 wasn't optimized, refined or well thought out at all, it was just a general idea that sleak sidepods (some cooling issues too btw) and a small gearbox give you more downforce... and anyone can tell you that.
The problem is, you need to make a neat effective car, out of those things and Michael might've forgot about that, i'm glad he is gone btw.

I think I can agree with this.

#2711 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 16:18

Excuse me guys, what is the "IT equipment" ?

#2712 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 16:29

Excuse me guys, what is the "IT equipment" ?

Computers

#2713 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 16:30

Pastor is "best of the rest" for odds for Monaco. A fair assessment based from last year and the win of course. Can he make it two? I hope he, or Senna can!

More to the point, I hope Williams can signal a return to strong(er) form by a double top 8?

#2714 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 16:44

Computers

Thank you :up:

#2715 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 21:09

;)

All cossy teams are too heavy, one way or the other.
Who chose Cossy, game?
New tire comes to my mind as to why the chassis never performed.
33's aero/box concept was right given better power plant, that is what we are looking at, I believe.

Coughlan was some years off, Prof on board, and everyone start to shout Coughlan. Is there any ground for it?

??

#2716 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 21:25

Williams said: "Yeah, he was to some extent. I'm not denying that. But if we thought he'd been a wanker, he wouldn't have got in the team no matter how much money he had.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Are Autosport even allowed to publish that?

#2717 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 21:45

:lol:

I tell you what, it's been really heart warming to see Sir Frank still with a great smile and sense of humour again. I remember a few years ago seeing him on TV and thinking he looked rather frail and serious. Winning is obviously good for the health!

#2718 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 23:18

;)

All cossy teams are too heavy, one way or the other.
Who chose Cossy, game?
New tire comes to my mind as to why the chassis never performed.
33's aero/box concept was right given better power plant, that is what we are looking at, I believe.

Coughlan was some years off, Prof on board, and everyone start to shout Coughlan. Is there any ground for it?

??

The 2 other Cossy teams are all... well... shit, utterly so.

Even if the concept was sound, i can't accept people using "the Cosworth block wasn't a good match for our gearbox" as a valid excuse, because you had to know beforehand that the engine bulkhead would impose a blockage... you had to know that with a heavy gearbox and a heavy KERS you would be dangerously close to the weight limit...

And this is forgetting the chassis height problem, can you imagine how the RB7 would perform if they couldn't get it to run scrapping the FW on the ground? I can't...

@payasyourace No doubt lol

I guess Frank forgot how to do PR speak after so much time :p

Edited by Sevach, 16 May 2012 - 23:20.

#2719 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 00:35

The 2 other Cossy teams are all... well... shit, utterly so.

Even if the concept was sound, i can't accept people using "the Cosworth block wasn't a good match for our gearbox" as a valid excuse, because you had to know beforehand that the engine bulkhead would impose a blockage... you had to know that with a heavy gearbox and a heavy KERS you would be dangerously close to the weight limit...

And this is forgetting the chassis height problem, can you imagine how the RB7 would perform if they couldn't get it to run scrapping the FW on the ground? I can't...

@payasyourace No doubt lol

Aha, OK, all designre must know the game he is playing. All sounds this is correct.

But the fact is, 34 has not much differences to 33.

You cannot deny that. The excuse you have given is, as post deductic as saying, it was obvious.

Never the less, RB8 is a sh1t, and I donno how Newey managed to make this machine.

Advertisement

#2720 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,761 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 00:37

Well, I find this much better as "PR-speak" than the usual BS :)

#2721 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:27

Aha, OK, all designre must know the game he is playing. All sounds this is correct.

But the fact is, 34 has not much differences to 33.

You cannot deny that. The excuse you have given is, as post deductic as saying, it was obvious.

Never the less, RB8 is a sh1t, and I donno how Newey managed to make this machine.

I don't really understand what you are saying, but yes the cars have many simlarities.

What i was trying to say is that despite the concepts being good, the FW33 was not put together in a nice package and the tech team have only themselves to blame.
Complaining about the shape or size of the engine block after the fact is ridiculous because it was the same block they used the year before, if the engine was such an impediment they should've noticed before commiting to the gearbox.

Same thing with the suspension/rear wing mounts they had a heavy car and they added even more wheight...

Regarding the RB8, they can't set it up like the previous models, the perfect aero balance and downforce is gone and they haven't found a different way to achieve those levels, so they struggle.

The FW33 was also suppoused to run lower, closer to the ground than it was possible with the floor design they had, that is also a design oversight.

#2722 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:18

Pastor on TFL

Pastor talking about the Spanish GP and some other things.

#2723 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 13:42

I don't really understand what you are saying, but yes the cars have many simlarities.

What i was trying to say is that despite the concepts being good, the FW33 was not put together in a nice package and the tech team have only themselves to blame.
Complaining about the shape or size of the engine block after the fact is ridiculous because it was the same block they used the year before, if the engine was such an impediment they should've noticed before commiting to the gearbox.

Same thing with the suspension/rear wing mounts they had a heavy car and they added even more wheight...

Regarding the RB8, they can't set it up like the previous models, the perfect aero balance and downforce is gone and they haven't found a different way to achieve those levels, so they struggle.

The FW33 was also suppoused to run lower, closer to the ground than it was possible with the floor design they had, that is also a design oversight.

We did talked bout all thoseduring 2011 season.
1. CA2011 has no Engine mappoing option which made Blown Diffuser enabled. Williams spend moeny in season to make it work, which delayed the other aeras of development.
2. CA2011 has different cooling setting and anchillary, for which I can hardly supply details, but suggests that it's total weight is heavier, perhaps. unit should be 95 kg.
3. Renault is know as requireling less fuel to being the car till the end. So wet weight of the car is lighter than CA2011 car.
4. CA2011 is bulkier which disturbs air flow.
5. 34 has different internals and floor, where we do not see a thing.
6. the 33 aero concept only worked IF the gear box worked. Sam's team made it work nicely. As SAm said, this delayed other aera's of development.

All in all, the current concept did not work on 33 due at least above four points. 20012 tech team had new way of approaching the issue and spent good time about it. Thanx God new guys approached the racing in a new way, while changing the race weekent strategy. You can blame engineering team of 33 NOT making the whole car work, but I can say that 34never worked IF Sam never managed to work this extremely low gear box. 34 is technically alos along the line of 33. Beside, no engineers from 34 seems to claim that 34 is a completely other beast than 33. At this point thereis not much reason to praise only new guys at the garage for 34's success.

I should be thankful for Frank, Tot, Patric and all for taking decision to do what they did facing 2012 season.

Besides Gillan introduced slow process of changes, as we all know from our worrys during the winter. Sam's team iuntended big step to next. This can be another element that made changes.

But never the less, aero concept of the 34, its basic shapes, they are almost identical to 33. We should be looking at what 35 will be like.

[edit] spel and so

Edited by One, 18 May 2012 - 13:49.

#2724 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 17:42

but I can say that 34never worked IF Sam never managed to work this extremely low gear box.

No you can't, in the past several teams found an item that could potentially give them a gain, but delayed it's introduction because it either didn't work properly at the time, couldn't take full advantage of it because of other factors, needed refinement... doesn't mean you burn the concepts, you work on it behind the scenes and put it on the car when it's good and ready.

That gearbox was terribly overweight in a car that already was overweight, the new guys had to work very hard on the gearbox to shed it's weight, otherwise we would be to trading a gain for a loss.
The Cosworth block was bad for the airflow over the gearbox? Why no one figured that out before deciding to focus so much money and resources on that part of the car.

While point 1 did hurt a lot, and there was nothing anyone could do about it... the other points were well known before the season.
And yet Michael underestimated the need to shed weight and went with his (again overly heavy) gearbox, the one which they couldn't take full advantage anyway, because their engine blocked the airflow...

Making a neat, well put together, well set-up car, that uses it's tyres well and other things... is just as important (if not more important right now) than pure downforce, Michael never figured out how to make his "clean sheet of paper" designs work consistently, the years gave us many examples... the FW33 is just the worst one.

#2725 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 18:57

By the way, nearly a week later and I am still smiling that Williams have won a GP again, and on merit!

Edited by Little Leaf, 18 May 2012 - 18:59.

#2726 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:53

I'm looking forward to Monaco like i didn't (for any race) in a looooong time.

#2727 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 20:45

Making a neat, well put together, well set-up car, that uses it's tyres well and other things... is just as important (if not more important right now) than pure downforce, Michael never figured out how to make his "clean sheet of paper" designs work consistently, the years gave us many examples... the FW33 is just the worst one.

refinement, ... it wil no win youa GP winnin car.

#2728 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,214 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 21:16

Great seeing Pastor on The F1 Show early. I think he could have spoken for hours. :up:

#2729 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 21:46

Accrding to James Allen, Pastor had by far the best T3 [slow section corners] in Barcelona - followed by Alonso and Lewis.

That makes Williams the franc favourite for Monaco since both Pastor and Bruno delivers there.

#2730 KiwiF1

KiwiF1

• 399 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 00:42

Accrding to James Allen, Pastor had by far the best T3 [slow section corners] in Barcelona - followed by Alonso and Lewis.

That makes Williams the franc favourite for Monaco since both Pastor and Bruno delivers there.

Williams is usually good around Monaco, lets hope this is the case next week. It would be fantastic for another good result, hopefully with both cars this time.

#2731 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:41

Maybe they managed to fix the problems from pre season testing with the update. The drivers said it was easy to drive and good in high speed corners but struggled in the slow stuff.

#2732 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,342 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:31

Was always going to put a tenner on a Williams podium at Monaco because of there recent form, but now our local bookies have opened up the race and the odds for Moldanado have obviously been slashed. Oh well, a small price to pay for supporting a winning team.

#2733 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:22

No it doesn't make Williams the favourite.

#2734 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,012 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:29

No it doesn't make Williams the favourite.

Mechanical grip is the key in Monaco. Williams has always been great in such stuff, even last year. So i'd bet for Pastor/Brunno podium this Sunday for sure.

#2735 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:39

Mechanical grip is the key in Monaco. Williams has always been great in such stuff, even last year. So i'd bet for Pastor/Brunno podium this Sunday for sure.

I think (and hope!) that Williams will be strong this weekend. I also hope Bruno can deliver as he needs a bit of a confidence boost I would imagine.

Podium and strong points would be good, anything more is a bonus

#2736 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:02

Slow corner grip was what was pinpointed as the car's major fault by the team in preseason.

#2737 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:03

Slow corner grip was what was pinpointed as the car's major fault by the team in preseason.

Well, now it doesn't look like it.

#2738 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:14

Well, now it doesn't look like it.

I wouldn't take that as read till we see the car in a slow corner dominated track, he may have had a fast third sector at Barcelona, but the win came on a track where aero performance is dominant in long, faster corners, rather than slower mechanical grip.

Pastor also ran in clean air for almost the entire grand prix.

I'm not saying it isn't sorted, just that we don't have much concrete proof.

Edited by wewantourdarbyback, 21 May 2012 - 09:15.

#2739 bauss

bauss

• 5,037 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:53

Well you don't have to hang unto JA's word when you can check for yourself

http://www.formula1....ctor_times.html

That is not by far and LH actually did the fastest S3 in Q3 (when all the cars were on track at the same time).

But I agree, Williams have a good chance, the car is good in slow speed and Renault seem to have a good engine for Monaco.

Advertisement

#2740 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:01

That is not by far and LH actually did the fastest S3 in Q3 (when all the cars were on track at the same time).

But I agree, Williams have a good chance, the car is good in slow speed and Renault seem to have a good engine for Monaco.

JA meant Race Pace, not qualy.

#2741 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:10

Sort-of on-topic: http://www.bbc.co.uk...essex-17444153: Williams F1 Team to be hailed at Chelsea Flower Show.

I just hope the garden doesn't self-combust if it wins the Gold Medal. :p

#2742 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:16

I just hope the garden doesn't self-combust if it wins the Gold Medal. :p

don't worry there's no birthday candles there!  ;)

#2743 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 163 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:34

The track was faster in Q3, as evidenced by everyone but Maldonado in the top 6 going faster or significantly faster.

Maldonado had an unpolished Q3 lap with his most glaring error on the last turn, where he lost the back end and couldn't open DRS until he straightened the car out. He himself highlighted this error in interviews afterwards, citing it as the significant difference between his Q2 and Q3 laps.

Looking at the race, he set his fastest lap on lap 27 with more than half a tank of fuel. Yet due to his 3rd sector which was only 0.1s off the Lotuses, his lap was 6th fastest.

I'm not saying Maldonado will be on pole by 0.5s in Monaco, but going by the times set in Barcelona he dominated the 3rd sector.

#2744 bauss

bauss

• 5,037 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:45

The track was faster in Q3, as evidenced by everyone but Maldonado in the top 6 going faster or significantly faster.

Maldonado had an unpolished Q3 lap with his most glaring error on the last turn, where he lost the back end and couldn't open DRS until he straightened the car out. He himself highlighted this error in interviews afterwards, citing it as the significant difference between his Q2 and Q3 laps.

Looking at the race, he set his fastest lap on lap 27 with more than half a tank of fuel. Yet due to his 3rd sector which was only 0.1s off the Lotuses, his lap was 6th fastest.

I'm not saying Maldonado will be on pole by 0.5s in Monaco, but going by the times set in Barcelona he dominated the 3rd sector.

The track was already much faster at the end of Q2 when the temperature dipped, which is why Webber was caught out and Maldonado smashed LH's earlier time.

And if I remember, track temp did increase slightly for Q3 too so the track may not have been necc. quicker than the end of q2 then... lets not forget LH did not have a perfect S3 either.

either way, no evidence in qualy suggests Maldonado was "massively" quicker in S3.

I can't speak for the race cos the stupid live timing was not working.

Either way, we will see soon enough

Edited by bauss, 21 May 2012 - 11:46.

#2745 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 795 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:07

Sorry to be an uncharacteristically pessimistic wet blanket but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. Yes, Spain was fantastic and yes, I was walking around like a dog with two tails for days after that but lets be real for a moment.

The car has come on tremendously and both drivers are beginning to deliver, Pastor more so than Bruno at the moment, though I believe there is more to come from both of them, so the future is looking much much better than at any point for the past 5 years. But to start talking of podiums, let alone victories, as if they are in the bag already for Monaco is all a bit premature.

Lets just aim for a good points haul with both cars in the top ten (which would be a pretty stunning achievement given where we were last year) and see what happens. Otherwise we will end up with a good performance and some extra points being regarded in some way as a 'failure'!!

Be realistic about what can be achieved and if we do better (as in a podium) then great, but setting expectations at the highest level will only cause disappointment if the team 'merely' delivers a good result. And I've had enough disappointments in the past five years without setting myself up to greet a good result as if it is a disaster...

#2746 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,065 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:24

Am feeling the same, hoping for top ten, if they can get both cars qualifying decently it will be a good start!

#2747 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:28

Sorry to be an uncharacteristically pessimistic wet blanket but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here...[etc]

:up: Yes. Williams fans aren't supposed to be optimistic, let alone bullish about winning. Expect the worst and the success is all the more sweet  ;)

#2748 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,065 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:29

:up: Yes. Williams fans aren't supposed to be optimistic, let alone bullish about winning. Expect the worst and the success is all the more sweet ;)

Am always optimistic!

#2749 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 14:43

I hope that both guys can grab some points on Sunday. The best thing it could happen if we can deliver a better result than Sauber and Mercedes.

#2750 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 795 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 17:05

:up: Yes. Williams fans aren't supposed to be optimistic, let alone bullish about winning. Expect the worst and the success is all the more sweet ;)

:)

Well, there's optimism and then there's :love:

Anyway, I'm optimistic the new parts the team is bringing to Monaco will help them win a good haul of points!

:up:

MONACO GRAND PRIX PREVIEW
When: Thursday 24 to Sunday 27 May, 2012
Where: Monte Carlo, Monaco
Round: 6 of 20

Mark Gillan, Chief Operations Engineer: The 78 lap race on the demanding 3.34km long partially resurfaced Monaco circuit is unique and is undoubtedly one of the most stringent tests of the season for both driver and team alike, with little to no margin for error. On the back of Pastor's excellent win in Barcelona both drivers are eager to get back on track, aiming to bring both cars home in the points on Sunday afternoon. The team's preparations for Monaco have been somewhat hampered by last Sunday's garage fire, but the impact of the fire has been mitigated by what can only be described as a Herculean effort by the factory and our suppliers to restock both the damaged equipment and car parts. We would also like to thank the generous offers of help from the other teams, highlighting once more the excellent sportsmanship that exists in Formula One and high levels of comradery throughout the pit lane.

This is the first race this year where both the soft and super-soft tyres will be available and the latest forecast predicts a dry weekend. As always in Monaco qualifying will be critical, as will race strategy to ensure that track position is maintained, but with further upgrades coming to this event we are hopeful that we can continue to make decent progress and look forward to a good weekend.

Pastor Maldonado: Monaco is a very challenging circuit for the drivers both physically and mentality because you have to concentrate fully at all times, but I really enjoy this challenge and I have traditionally done well here in the past. I am full of confidence after my win at the last race so I go to Monaco with high hopes of getting another strong result for the team.

Bruno Senna: Monaco is one of my favourite tracks because despite being a street circuit it has a lot of flow to it and when you get dialled in you can put in some good laps. I have performed well there in the past and hopefully that trend will continue this weekend and we can get some good points.

Rémi Taffin, Head of Renault Sport F1 Track Operations: Monaco is a massive challenge to get right. In terms of man power hours it is the race that RSF1 engineers spend the most time preparing – anything from two to four days in the dyno and the design office compared to around one day for an average race such as Spain. The track has the lowest average speed of the year due to the high number of tight corners so the focus is on delivering driveability through the lower rev ranges but also getting the gear ratios right to give effective acceleration between the corners. The bumps are also a major issue for engine engineers. The drivers will run over manhole covers, kerbs, white lines and sometimes even huge bumps so the engine hits the rev limiter much more than we do at a permanent track like Sepang or Monza. To avoid this we pay particular attention to the shift light pattern and even encourage the driver to shift early.

Paul Hembery, Pirelli Motorsport Director: We are bringing the soft and the supersoft tyres: the two softest compounds in our range. The nature of the circuit means that wear is low and cars rely heavily on mechanical grip, which makes this combination well suited to Monaco. With overtaking very difficult, qualifying and race strategy play an even more significant role than usual, and the supersoft tyre – which we’re seeing for the first time this year – is sure to be an important part of that. This tyre benefits from a very quick warm-up time, which means that it gets rapidly up to temperature to ensure optimal grip.