Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#2801 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 353 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:25

Comments from Mark Gillan seem to suggest he saw the FP3 incident a bit differently to Pastor

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/100002

I think this Gillian guy should take part of the responsability for what happened in FP3 and the lost oportunity to score a good result.
They sent Maldonado and Senna out in FP3 to do long runs when everyone else was doing short runs and getting ready for the all important Monaco qualy. Then with 10 minutes or so to the end of FP3 they sent the drivers out to do some low fuel runs when everyone else had spent the whole session doing it.
I think it was the pressure to do those low fuel laps that lead to Pastor doing what he did. That meant that he went into qualy without any feeling for the car on low fuel and without the posibility of making any adjustements if the feeling was not right.
Now he comes out with this bullshit about a top 5 qualy result and putting all the blame on Pastor for the poor Monaco result. :down:

Advertisement

#2802 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 688 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:31

Regarding Senna, I watched the onboard Monaco race and he was doing a pretty decent job. if he had some clean air and a good call in the pits he could end up a bit higher than 1 point.

But looking at his driving I spotted 2 things:

1- He's very aggressive with the brakes, late as possible.
2- He carries so much speed through corner entry but compromises the exit, I don't know maybe just a Monaco thing?

#2803 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,337 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 15:15

I think this Gillian guy should take part of the responsability for what happened in FP3 and the lost oportunity to score a good result.
They sent Maldonado and Senna out in FP3 to do long runs when everyone else was doing short runs and getting ready for the all important Monaco qualy. Then with 10 minutes or so to the end of FP3 they sent the drivers out to do some low fuel runs when everyone else had spent the whole session doing it.
I think it was the pressure to do those low fuel laps that lead to Pastor doing what he did. That meant that he went into qualy without any feeling for the car on low fuel and without the posibility of making any adjustements if the feeling was not right.
Now he comes out with this bullshit about a top 5 qualy result and putting all the blame on Pastor for the poor Monaco result. :down:

LOL. How can you blame Gillan for a driver losing his mind. You've to do heavy fuel runs at some point of the weekend, it's very important to find any balance weakness on full tanks.

Regarding Senna, I watched the onboard Monaco race and he was doing a pretty decent job. if he had some clean air and a good call in the pits he could end up a bit higher than 1 point.

But looking at his driving I spotted 2 things:

1- He's very aggressive with the brakes, late as possible.
2- He carries so much speed through corner entry but compromises the exit, I don't know maybe just a Monaco thing?

1-The FW34 is great on braking stability (hopefully that will result on a great Canadian Gp), so it's normal he does that.
2- He does it everywhere as far as I have seen.

#2804 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:14

From those threads with car and drivers comparisons and sometimes just observing from the outside (Saint Devote, Monaco t1 was obvious) it's clear as day that Senna sometimes sacrifices the exit.

He is rather late on the power and often doesn't have the car pointed where it should be on the apex...
What is Wurz doing again?

#2805 tractionman

tractionman

• 169 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 14:09

From those threads with car and drivers comparisons and sometimes just observing from the outside (Saint Devote, Monaco t1 was obvious) it's clear as day that Senna sometimes sacrifices the exit.

He is rather late on the power and often doesn't have the car pointed where it should be on the apex...
What is Wurz doing again?

The quick in style certainly worked for certain world champions of the past, worked for Bruno in Gp2 and will work for him at Williams if he gets the car sorted out to his liking. According to Bruno in a interview,they reportedly made some progress towards getting the balance sorted out in monaco. By his own admission it is his lack understanding of the tires thats costing him. If he overcomes, we may still see him in a williams next year....

Edited by tractionman, 01 June 2012 - 14:12.

#2806 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 688 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 14:37

...The FW34 is great on braking stability (hopefully that will result on a great Canadian Gp)...

Canada is known for being hungry on brakes, a fat disk maybe?

#2807 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 14:46

I somewhat agree.

They spent FAR too long during long runs.

If it was ANY other circuit then I could excuse them, but this is Monaco. Senna spent 100% of the race bottled up behind slower cars, meaning that information they learnt in Fp3 was useless. The car wasn't even being driven at it's limits.

Any other circuit and I would place long run pace as #1 but at Monaco it is meaningless! Vettel proved that last year, and even RBR proved this year too.

Monaco is just a huge waste of time and resource. Why bother spending time analysing long run pace and degradation when you know for a 100% fact the car behind you can be 2-3 seconds a lap quicker and still struggle to get past, and in all likely hood will never get past.

On that basis alone, you are entirely correct

#2808 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 20:24

The Canadian GP is near, a track where good stability on brakes and top speed is a must. What are the expectations on the Williams camp?
Ok, I'll start:
1. Q3 for both drivers
2. Hope that williams will be faster than Toro Rosso, Force India and Sauber. Fighting with Ferrari and Lotus and slower than Redbull, McLaren and Mercedes.
3. Some points on Sunday at least more than Sauber

#2809 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 21:28

I am convinced that Pastor will not disappoint us from this race on.

Having said that:
4. Pastor on top 10, Senna on Top 12.
5. Both car race finish within Top ten.
6. Cars to beat, Ferrari, RB and Merc.

#2810 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:59

The Canadian GP is near, a track where good stability on brakes and top speed is a must. What are the expectations on the Williams camp?
Ok, I'll start:
1. Q3 for both drivers - would be good
2. Hope that williams will be faster than Toro Rosso, Force India and Sauber. Fighting with Ferrari and Lotus and slower than Redbull, McLaren and Mercedes. - To be honest the way this season has gone, anything is possible!
3. Some points on Sunday at least more than Sauber

I am convinced that Pastor will not disappoint us from this race on.

Having said that:
4. Pastor on top 10, Senna on Top 12.
5. Both car race finish within Top ten.
6. Cars to beat, Ferrari, RB and Merc.

7. Strong performance in qualy and race from Bruno
8. No silly brain fade moments from Pastor
9. Above all good points from both cars and open a gap to FI, TR and hopefully Sauber in the constructors

I said at the start of the season that Lotus should be the team Williams realistcally should be aiming for as they have the same engine and that would result in a big performance jump over last year. And whilst they have looked strong I see no reason, based on Barca and the pace the car had at Monaco, that Williams can't beat them. We just need bopth cars up there and nobody driving into anybody else on purpose!

#2811 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

• 48 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:00

I have high hopes for the Canadian GP, the FW34 has shown excellent stability under braking so far (perhaps the best car on the grid in this regard?).

#2812 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,337 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:50

Same here, the FW34 has incredible braking stability, great traction as in Barcelona we saw how good the traction was out of the last slow corner. An improved DRS so Williams don't have a top speed problem anymore and great tyre management. All those are the key areas to perform well in Montreal so fingers crossed.

#2813 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 14:16

I see no reason why Williams shouldn't be competitive in Canada either, hopefully we will mix up right at the front and Senna will pick up his qualifying game too.

Edited by Sevach, 06 June 2012 - 14:18.

#2814 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 14:30

So guys you are saying that the win is in the card?

#2815 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 14:46

Normally I don't think a win is possible, but maybe a podium. Mercedes will be very hard to beat, if they strugle with tyre management we can have a chance. I can't see williams being faster than Redbull or Mclaren too.

#2816 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,037 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 14:52

Hopefully a good haul of points in Canada. I could do without Pastor leaving his brain in the garage again.

#2817 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 15:12

So guys you are saying that the win is in the card?

Hummmm... i think the car is gonna be podium capable on Canada, Mercedes should be the car to beat... but it's a street track, safety cars and everything...

#2818 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 22:49

Hummmm... i think the car is gonna be podium capable on Canada, Mercedes should be the car to beat... but it's a street track, safety cars and everything...

Bit of Aussie like atmosphere indeed. The second time should be better than the first one.

#2819 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 22:49

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/100177

"Williams to run aggressive new rear wing design in practice for Canadian GP"

BRING IT ON!!! :up:

Advertisement

#2820 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 23:46

Monaco was an under performance by the team.... I'm hoping they can redress things in Canada

#2821 cooper

cooper

• 388 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:21

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/100177

"Williams to run aggressive new rear wing design in practice for Canadian GP"

BRING IT ON!!! :up:

Looks quite interesting! :up:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by cooper, 08 June 2012 - 11:22.

#2822 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:15

Hope for a good weekend, hopefully Bruno can step up as well.

#2823 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,337 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:29

I wonder if this wing is only for tracks like Montreal or Spa, or can be used for traditional layout circuits like Nurburgring or Silverstone.

#2824 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:58

It's like a reverse of the spoon wing from last year!

I would imagine that it's only seen at medium downforce tracks like Montreal and possible Monza.

#2825 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 13:19

Guessing that in Monza we will not see any profile, rather... so medium track like Spa, Silverstone and so on, if this runs faster... Looks very logical as viewed from the 45 degrees the opening edges includig endplates appears to be a circle. It will catch lot more air flow down under...

#2826 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 17:02

Bruno's comments on P1 today

"Got some interesting info in P1 today. DRS not working issue made us run high fuel for a lot of the session. P2 looks wet, not great!"

#2827 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,789 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:23

Bruno is a joke, seriously he's been given enough time and its plain to anyone the guy cannot cut it.

I still say if his last name was anything else he wouldn't have the drive, time Williams looked for a replacement.

#2828 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:58

Auch!

#2829 kenny

kenny

• 2,028 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 20:12

Bruno is a joke, seriously he's been given enough time and its plain to anyone the guy cannot cut it.

I still say if his last name was anything else he wouldn't have the drive, time Williams looked for a replacement.

Hmm. He scored points in 3 out of 6 races...

And wasnt it mario andretti who once said, if you dont crash, your not trying hard enough...

#2830 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 20:15

And wasnt it mario andretti who once said, if you dont crash, your not trying hard enough...

No, it was Andrea De Cearis 😃

Bruno needs to pull something out the bag for qualy

#2831 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 20:20

Bruno literally couldn't keep the car on track today.
Maldo looks poised again, i expect a strong points finish from him.

I hope Senna jeeps gathering points at least and doesn't drop our constructors position.

#2832 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 688 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 23:49

Pastor looks mighty fast race pace-wise.

#2833 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,219 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 23:52

"If everything feels under control, you're just not going fast enough."

One of the best quotes of all-time.

#2834 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 00:40

Pastor looks mighty fast race pace-wise.

Pastor's 'longer run with fuel' pace was on par with Hamilton's. If he can qualify well tomorrow and get away well on Sunday he has a great chance of points. Bruno looked like he was struggling so I think he will be very lucky indeed if he ends up with points.

#2835 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 688 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:47

Pastor's 'longer run with fuel' pace was on par with Hamilton's. If he can qualify well tomorrow and get away well on Sunday he has a great chance of points. Bruno looked like he was struggling so I think he will be very lucky indeed if he ends up with points.

True, the fia.com lap report showed a very consistent pace for Pastor, knowing that I think FP3 gonna be 100% Quali setup work.

Bruno have lots of pressure on him and he's disappointed and frustrated with his driving...

#2836 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

• 48 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 14:58

Maldo was fastest yesterday in race pace.
IF we have a good qualy, then podium/win is within our reach!

Edited by Mithrandir, 09 June 2012 - 15:04.

#2837 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 15:18

Maldonado is looking good, 15,1 on used softs and 14,7 on ss, the first ss lap was disturbed by a Marussia.

Senna's lap on SS was slower than Maldo on used softs. :mad:

Edited by Sevach, 09 June 2012 - 15:21.

#2838 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,337 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 17:52

Maldonado is looking good, 15,1 on used softs and 14,7 on ss, the first ss lap was disturbed by a Marussia.

Senna's lap on SS was slower than Maldo on used softs. :mad:

Now what can you say?...

Team underperformed yet again.

#2839 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 17:52

I wonder if this is the most expensive season so far for the team in terms of replacing parts?

16th and 17th is not good enough! The car should be in Q3.

FI are looking to be in a position to pick up more points. Hopefully the race will be an improvement.

Advertisement

#2840 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 18:12

Very bad day, i think points are still possible though.

#2841 kenny

kenny

• 2,028 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 18:20

16th and 17th is not good enough! The car should be in Q3.

not according to the team
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/100212

#2842 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,474 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 18:22

I thought they'd be on the sixth row, perhaps Maldonado higher, so 16th and 17th is a big let-down. They might still come through for a point or two though, 'cause they've been great over longer stints.

#2843 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,337 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 18:24

not according to the team
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/100212

In Q1 Maldonado and Senna were 7th and 8th and quicker than Di Resta and Grosjean for example so car was top 10 material.

#2844 kenny

kenny

• 2,028 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 18:28

In Q1 Maldonado and Senna were 7th and 8th and quicker than Di Resta and Grosjean for example so car was top 10 material.

since when is Q1 an indicator of pace?
did everyone use the SS tyres?

Williams looks strong on race pace, but the whole weekend they were nowhere in qual pace...

#2845 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 18:30

Maldonado was on a 14,5 lap when he stuffed it, he also did a 14,75 in FP3, Button was 14,68

Senna... is just slow.

#2846 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,037 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 18:43

Hoping for some strong race pace to bring the cars forward tomorrow. Pastor's mistake spoiled qualifying a bit but I don't think there was that much more on offer today.

#2847 Sumant

Sumant

• 49 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 20:12

I think Mal and Sen ran SS in Q1. DiResta ran only softs.

#2848 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 21:28

It seems Williams has a decent car, biggest problem are the drivers. Senna is mediocre at best in the current Formula 1 field, Maldonado can be fast but he is error-prone.

#2849 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:06

Luck and safety cars are what we need to score points

#2850 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:52

Dear drivers. Please do not crash into each other during the race.

Thank you,

A concerned fan.