Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#3101 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 110 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:14

I feel sorry for Senna. It appears that he damaged his car running over a Kerb. It seemed like a minor incident. Other drivers went over Kerbs frequently without any damage.

I notice that Senna was quick after the incident. He was keeping pace with Alonso and much quicker than Grosjean.

Advertisement

#3102 Kyo

Kyo

• 853 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:24

I feel sorry for Senna. It appears that he damaged his car running over a Kerb. It seemed like a minor incident. Other drivers went over Kerbs frequently without any damage.

I notice that Senna was quick after the incident. He was keeping pace with Alonso and much quicker than Grosjean.

even if he kept the same pace, he would still finish behind points after his incident. what Bruno really needs is start classifying better, so he can avoid the first laps incidents...

#3103 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:12

Yeah if Bruno was starting in the top 10 it would be of great help. It really has to be a priority to get him up there alongside Pastor in qualifying. Without grid position he is a bit reliant on luck getting him into the top 10 with the competitiveness of the other cars. If I were Bruno I would be in the simulator every day.

Also the team needs to improve the speed of its pit stops. Pastor's first was comparatively slow and gave him no chance.

#3104 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:16

So are we going to see the good Williams or the bad Williams this weekend? I suspect a combination, probably ending in disappointment...

#3105 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,067 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:33

I reckon the car will be good here, hopefully we can get both cars to the finish in solid top ten positions.

Really hope Bruno can sort his qualifying.

#3106 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 800 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:03

So are we going to see the good Williams or the bad Williams this weekend? I suspect a combination, probably ending in disappointment...

Bizarrely I am feeling slightly more confident this weekend. Germany was a wash out (no pun intended) but, really, much was due to external factors (changeable weather and track debris). So, a warmer Hungary and a bit of luck might deliver a better result.

#3107 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 15:37

I reckon the car will be good here, hopefully we can get both cars to the finish in solid top ten positions.

Really hope Bruno can sort his qualifying.

It would be nice to see both drivers taking some serious points for a change.

#3108 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 16:59

It would be nice to see both drivers taking some serious points for a change.

Exactly, and Sauber and FI having an off weekend

Bruno needs to improve his qualy and starts

#3109 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,666 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 18:05

Bruno needs to improve his qualy and starts

He made a rocket start in Great Britain (from 13th to 9th). He needs to stay out of trouble and better starting position wouldn't do any harm. Let's wait and see. He seemed a bit more confident over one lap in Germany but he didn't do a good lap when the rain came.

I don't expect too much. This season is turning into another 2009, with quick car and inability to get satysfying results for any reason. At least Maldonado has won the race.

#3110 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 19:02

He made a rocket start in Great Britain (from 13th to 9th). He needs to stay out of trouble and better starting position wouldn't do any harm. Let's wait and see. He seemed a bit more confident over one lap in Germany but he didn't do a good lap when the rain came.

I don't expect too much. This season is turning into another 2009, with quick car and inability to get satysfying results for any reason. At least Maldonado has won the race.

As a williams fan I would be satisfied if the win ends to be only positive thing in 2012. The wait was too long.

I cannot fathom why Bruno hasn't be able to put one good qualy in the first half of the season. Hope that will change in Hungary.

#3111 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 19:09

Well, it seems Sauber is out of reach for Williams, right now. Points-wise is a significant difference, pace-wise they seem very close, so I don't think Williams will be able to beat Sauber on WWC, anymore

#3112 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,666 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 19:46

It's definetely possible to beat Sauber and even Mercedes, but Williams would need combination of several factors that most likely will not happen.

Sauber's drivers aren't the best examples of very consistent driving, but it seems to be even bigger issue when it comes to Williams' drivers. The most consistent driver pairing in the midfield is probably Force India, but their car is quite off the pace most of this season. I think Force India's drivers would put this year's Williams car in top5 in WCC this season. But this car wouldn't be top5 material without Maldonado's and Senna's sponsors. This seems to be a vicious circle. :drunk:

Here's hoping that Maldonado will significantly decrease amount of his crashes. He is consistently delivering good speed. He is the one of the very little group of drivers that I can't remeber being visibly off the pace that the car should allow him at any moment of this season.

Considering last three races, only Alonso and Vettel have better average grid positions. Maldonado is in the upper half of the field with his average grid position troughout the year, although he was starting outside top20 three(!) times due to penalties.

#3113 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 20:29

Sauber's drivers aren't the best examples of very consistent driving, but it seems to be even bigger issue when it comes to Williams' drivers. The most consistent driver pairing in the midfield is probably Force India, but their car is quite off the pace most of this season. I think Force India's drivers would put this year's Williams car in top5 in WCC this season. But this car wouldn't be top5 material without Maldonado's and Senna's sponsors. This seems to be a vicious circle. :drunk:

It actually seems to me that Force India have a very quick car - they could have been on pole in both Valencia and Hockenheim - but the drivers are underperforming. That said, the FI car was weaker earlier this season, when Williams were strong, and I fear the team may come to regret those lost points at the end of the season.

#3114 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:41

It's definetely possible to beat Sauber and even Mercedes, but Williams would need combination of several factors that most likely will not happen.

Yeah, Maldo is too inconsistent, but the FI guys wouldn't have the speed to, ocasionally, put the car where Pastor is , imo.

#3115 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 23:38

Yeah, Maldo is too inconsistent, but the FI guys wouldn't have the speed to, ocasionally, put the car where Pastor is , imo.

The problem with the FI drivers is that they tend to underperform in qualifying, whereas Maldonado underperforms in the race - not necessarily because of the lack of pace, but because of crashes. Senna underperforms in most areas and also has crashes. The Williams drivers really need to cut the crashing out very soon.

#3116 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,157 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 23:55

No but it doesn't even require that much speed, as Pastor is seriously inconsistent, almost to the point of consistency, Senna isn't all that far behind.

#3117 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 800 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 00:01

This may already have been covered but I think this is a positive move

http://www.autosport...e.php/id/101491

#3118 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 00:10

This may already have been covered but I think this is a positive move

http://www.autosport...e.php/id/101491

Nice to know Dean is back! he was unlucky with the illness.

#3119 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:04

No but it doesn't even require that much speed, as Pastor is seriously inconsistent, almost to the point of consistency, Senna isn't all that far behind.

In terms of pace or inconsistency? In pace he's a long way off, but in inconsistency he's almost Maldonado's equal. Not that that's a good thing.

Advertisement

#3120 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:11

Talking about crashing. What exactly Wurz is teaching them?

#3121 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:56

VB in top 9, sounds like a great thing he has done. Well, it only testing, but expectation is growing.

#3122 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:06

VB in top 9, sounds like a great thing he has done. Well, it only testing, but expectation is growing.

He's been in the top ten in several sessions this year, I don't read too much into it however because usually all the drivers are doing different programmes and their fuel loads etc are different. For example, Bottas was I think testing a new front wing today, while Maldonado was doing something else.

#3123 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:00

He's been in the top ten in several sessions this year, I don't read too much into it however because usually all the drivers are doing different programmes and their fuel loads etc are different. For example, Bottas was I think testing a new front wing today, while Maldonado was doing something else.

VB just said in an interview that he and Maldo had similiar programs today.

#3124 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 231 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:02

Bottas said in a TV interview they were doing the same program with no difference in cars. Was happy and said they did everything they planned.

EDIT: Too slow again. :p

Edited by Ze Bum, 27 July 2012 - 12:04.

#3125 the9th

the9th

• 1,544 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:43

What does it matter that they had "similar" programs? For Valteri it's beat Pastor or die trying because he won't get any more running, while Pastor has a whole weekend ahead. Different motivation.
I'd like to see Valteri running the full weekend, but by now these are just flashes. The team has every interest in making the Finn look good since they are investing in the guy and they have to showcase him, because the money is out there.

#3126 madrocker

madrocker

• 114 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:48

Bruno Senna is seriously fast today.

#3127 tractionman

tractionman

• 169 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:53

All that has to happen is for the track temps to change and he will be seriously slow..... Pirelli the wonder tires....Hero one second......Zero the next. Hope it does not happen though since he probably needs a few good weekends to have any chance of holding on to that drive.

#3128 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:13

He was slightly lucky with his timing being on softs just before the rain. If there hadn't been any rain he would have slipped back down again as others got their laps in.

#3129 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,368 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:19

He was slightly lucky with his timing being on softs just before the rain. If there hadn't been any rain he would have slipped back down again as others got their laps in.

LOOL :down:

He set his fast laps at the same time as Hamilton or Massa.

#3130 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 13:31

LOOL :down:

He set his fast laps at the same time as Hamilton or Massa.

Yes, but it was half way through the session in Friday practice, you don't know fuel loads etc, so to say he looks fast just from a few laps in a session where the times are basically meaningless is bit naive.

#3131 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 16:31

Today I heard a rumor from a good friend of mine, member of the Williams fanclub. He told me the team is still negotiating with Kimi!! I was like => :eek:

#3132 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 17:02

I think Bottas is as confirmed for next year as it gets.

Q. (Vanessa Ruiz - ESPN Radio) Toto, as soon as your position was confirmed or you got your new title at Williams, speculation started about the driver line- up because of your work with Valtteri Bottas. How do you see his situation at the moment - also because we are approaching August, so do you understand that he's ready to occupy a seat at Williams or is it not yet time. And also, do you see a conflict of interest because of your new title and the fact that you work with him as a manager?

TW: Very interesting question. It's definitely a conflict of interest; this is why, at the beginning of the year - actually last year already - I have refrained from interfering in any kind of negotiations or discussions between the team and Valtteri's management group, so my role is a pure financial investor behind Valtteri. He's managed by Didier Coton who is doing the day-to-day job and we're having - to use banking language - Chinese walls. Emotionally, of course, I saw Valtteri for the first time in Formula Renault 2000 here at the Hungaroring in 2008 so he's a boy I have followed for quite a long time and he's a friend, as is Pastor, and as is Bruno. Luckily I'm a shareholder in the team and I have a five percent commission on Valtteri's contract so I think that shows how the balance would go if it was only about the economics. So the point is that it's very clear that the team is going to take decisions on the best package of driver and hopefully it's all going in a direction that we can have the quickest in the car.

#3133 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 110 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 17:05

I don't think that it confirms Bottas for next year as Senna and Maldonado both bring a lot more money in than Bottas.

#3134 kenny

kenny

• 2,028 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 17:16

Last year Bruno did friday morning practice at Renault in Hungary... I wonder if we might see a better performance/ more confidence on his side because of that

#3135 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 282 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 18:09

Last year Bruno did friday morning practice at Renault in Hungary... I wonder if we might see a better performance/ more confidence on his side because of that

If we see because of it, then we'll see it until the end of the year, as Bruno started racing for Lotus at Spa.

#3136 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 18:31

Good stuff in the Friday press conference from Toto. I suggest everyone reads it.

#3137 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,396 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 18:36

Today I heard a rumor from a good friend of mine, member of the Williams fanclub. He told me the team is still negotiating with Kimi!! I was like => :eek:

Don't you mean, " I was like ==> :lol: "

The Williams fanclub isn't exactly "inside access."

#3138 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 19:19

I think he was a bit lighter than normal to practice qualy.

#3139 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 19:32

Senna!! :up:

Kimi next year? Is Lotus so bad?

Advertisement

#3140 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 20:21

Of course, he would say so. Do you expect him to say "I was only faster than Pastor because I was lighter and going for fast times while he was doing the base job for the weekend"?

No problem there. Next year he, Bottas, will have plenty of opportunitties to be similarly trashed by Maldonado

Edited by BetaVersion, 27 July 2012 - 20:35.

#3141 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 20:38

Don't you mean, " I was like ==> :lol: "

The Williams fanclub isn't exactly "inside access."

Well, I would say that if his old predictions were false. Like the partnership with Renault and the negotiations with kimi in 2011.

#3142 Kyo

Kyo

• 853 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:27

why Williams put Senna to do another lap on softs? They're lost. ¬¬

#3143 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 110 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 13:24

Great to have both drivers in the top 10. I hope Senna hasn't ruined his tyres for the race. I can see both drivers getting good points tomorrow.

#3144 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 13:45

Pastor was held up by Lewis and Seb in his fast lap. 4 tenths slower than his Q2 lap.

#3145 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 14:27

Pastor was held up by Lewis and Seb in his fast lap. 4 tenths slower than his Q2 lap.

I thought Ham and Vet got out of the way quite well to be honest, what harmed Maldonado most I think was going slightly wide at the penultimate corner. Anyway, it was nice to see both cars in Q3, although you get the feeling that both could have been slightly higher up. Pleased for Senna.

#3146 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 14:30

By the way, I found it quite funny when Hamilton came on the radio to say 'I think I might have blocked Maldonado' or something like that. You could hear the fear in his voice, he was clearly thinking of the last time someone did that...

#3147 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 15:26

Pastor on the quick Sky interview: "even Bruno was looking quick. Even Bruno? Yes even Bruno"

#3148 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,666 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 15:30

Pastor on the quick Sky interview: "even Bruno was looking quick. Even Bruno? Yes even Bruno"

:eek: :lol:

#3149 Kyo

Kyo

• 853 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 15:31

:rotfl: :rotfl:

#3150 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 15:36

To be fair, Maldonado does tend to use 'even' instead of 'also'. I noticed that in a few of his press conferences, like I remember he said after qualifying in Spain something like 'even we were quick this morning', obviously meaning 'also'. So I don't think it's meant to be insulting as it sounds! It's funny though.