Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#3201 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:54

I don't see how Toto Wollf being Bottas's manager and on the board of Williams can work, surely that's not in the best interest of the team? Apparently he gets 5% of any contract so how would the negotiations go there?

Advertisement

#3202 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:34

It is a luxury problem. All what Senna should do will be to concentrate on putting result on his paper. By all means that is what he needs at any circumstances to come. Senna has got yet a half season to fix it.
Prospects of Bottas holding one of the wheel of Williams is large, but not for nothing Senna is holding one this year. You could see it this way that all what he needs is never to let the wheel loose, by firstly scoring more results and secondly by driving more aggressively.
I think Bottas got a chance, but if he could make it happen depends on whole a lot other issues as well.
Senna convinces his performance and his worth and turn it on to positives, use momentum, into wooose, that is it.

#3203 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:59

According to the Williams sources Valtteri Bottas did so good times at youngdrivers test at silverstone in similar conditions as was during the gp weekend that he would have been close to pole position.

#3204 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,337 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:14

According to the Williams sources Valtteri Bottas did so good times at youngdrivers test at silverstone in similar conditions as was during the gp weekend that he would have been close to pole position.

In a better track conditions, with a more refined setup after a full weekend, etc.

#3205 Hans V

Hans V

• 335 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:26

It is a luxury problem.

Having to choose between Lewis, Teflonso and Kimi would be a luxury problem. To choose among Maldonado, Senna and Bottas surely isn't. It must be very frustrating for the Williams team to see that they have a car capeable of 4th or 5th in the constructors championship only to having good results messed up by their drivers almost every race weekend. Hopefully they can land a new title sponsor, and thus be be able to ditch current drivers, one likeable but too slow and one quick but stupid - and hardly WDC material any of them, in exhange a top driver and a very promising Bottas.

#3206 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:06

I think this is very good news for the team! Selling another team the KERS system does show that it's a competitive system:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102028

Also I wonder if we'll see a fancy rear wing like last year at Spa? I think we may see the Canada design again.

http://www.williamsf.../news/view/2222

BELGIAN GRAND PRIX PREVIEW
When: Friday 31 August to Sunday 2 September, 2012
Where: Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
Round: 12 of 20

Mark Gillan, Chief Operations Engineer: It’s great to be back racing again after the August break and the whole team has been preparing eagerly for the remaining nine races, eight of which are back to back. Spa is a fantastic circuit and an excellent challenge for the drivers and car alike. We’re expecting rain at the beginning of the weekend but are hopeful for a dry qualifying and race. Setting the correct wing level with DRS is crucial around this track and one tends to see a number of different aerodynamic solutions. Pirelli are bringing their hard and medium tyres which were last used way back in Malaysia.

Pastor Maldonado: Spa is a very special circuit for me because I’ve had a lot of success there in the past and I really enjoy the layout. The circuit also has a lot of history so it’s a race that you want to do well at. It will also be interesting to see the performance of the other teams and find out who has made gains since we last raced. I’m looking forward to getting going again after the summer break and hopefully we can build on the good progress we’ve shown so far this season and have a strong run of results in the second half of the year.

Bruno Senna: We’ve had a good streak of races recently and I had a solid result in Hungary so I’m looking forward to keeping the momentum going. Spa is one of my favourite tracks and I raced there last year with the Pirelli tyres so that knowledge will help with our performance this time around. Qualifying will be important and I’m looking to get into Q3 like I did in the last race and from there hopefully score some good points for the team.

Rémi Taffin, Head of Renault Sport F1 Track Operations: The driver will encounter every sort of corner possible so we have to get the RS27 to perform over all levels of torque and revs. The engine needs to deliver good top end power for the long straights, yet a smooth power curve through the flowing corners like Blanchimont. Response is also key out of the slower hairpins and chicanes. We actually use Spa as a control circuit on the dyno to test an engine’s reliability as it puts so much stress on the internal parts. With such huge demands exerted, we’ll be introducing fresh engines for this race.

Paul Hembery, Pirelli Motorsport Director: Spa is one of the most demanding circuits of the year for our tyres because of the high levels of energy they are subjected to, which is why we have selected the P Zero Silver hard and P Zero White medium compounds: a combination that was last used in Malaysia at the start of the year. The other important factor in Spa is the weather, as rain is a very frequent occurrence: sometimes with wet conditions affecting just one part of the circuit while the rest remains dry. Consequently there are many interesting opportunities to formulate a number of different strategies over the course of this very long race.

#3207 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,654 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:18

I wonder how competitive FW34 will be at Spa. Long straights don't seem to be the place where Williams is gaining time compared to competitors (Canada was that race in this season where Williams was lacking the most pace). Fast corners do on the other hand, as you could see in Barcelona or in 3rd sector in Valencia. Wonder what will make bigger difference.

I'm pretty sure it won't be very competitive at Monza, though. :|

#3208 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:44

Well they've brought the Canada spec super DRS wing...

http://f1zoom.fx1.nl...b...g=14&full=1

#3209 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:58

Hope for a good run at Spa, wonder how the top speeds will be in the dry?

#3210 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:42

Williams looked absolutely perfectly balanced on Maldonado's onboard. I think it should be best car in S2.

Edited by Baddoer, 31 August 2012 - 10:46.

#3211 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:06

Pastor interview at formula1.com

http://www.formula1....12/8/13711.html

#3212 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,337 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 13:03

Lap of the day from Pastor. Incredible. :eek: :clap:

#3213 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 13:05

Whoah, where did MAL pull that lap from!? He's been no way near a 1.47.8 at all so far this weekend!

I noticed a huge amount of brake dust coming out of the front wheels at the last chicane.

Bruno appeared lucky not to be in the barriers after his near spin.

#3214 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 109 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 13:05

I hope the race goes better for Senna. At least overtaking isn't too difficult at Spa.

#3215 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 13:06

Excellent!!! Hopefully a podium for Mal :)

#3216 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 13:16

Great lap from Maldonado, I really don't get it how he was able to pull it off.

As for Senna - this time he has absolutely no excuses, even the missed friday practice didn't hurt him this week (as it was soaking wet). I think bottas is ready to take over.

#3217 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,582 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 13:20

What was that from Senna? Surely these are among the final nails in the coffin of his career.

#3218 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,605 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:19

Senna is an embarrassment. Seat open for 2013. :wave:

Edited by Jimisgod, 01 September 2012 - 14:23.

#3219 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,582 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:21

Bottas is a shoo-in, IMO, so quite the opposite of an open seat. It would be bizarre of Williams to give him so much seat time, at the expense of a current paying driving, and not give him a race seat. The bed seems to be made.

Edited by Disgrace, 01 September 2012 - 14:22.

Advertisement

#3220 kenny

kenny

• 2,028 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 16:57

"Tough day in the office. Had some big aerodynamic problems in qualifying that got worse and worse. Hope to have a healthy car tomorrow". Bruno

#3221 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 16:59

Well, 3rd row tomorrow, dirty side...

#3222 madrocker

madrocker

• 111 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:04

So, Senna had damaged aero bits on his car? Can anyone confirm that?

#3223 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:07

Hopefully Pastor can hang it out round the outside of La Source, staying within the track limits! Let's hope that Bruno makes up some positions too.

Such a shame about the penalty. I would love to see the incident, as both drivers made it through to Q2...

Sauber are looking very, very strong here so I hope the team can at least consolidate its lead over FI.

#3224 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,618 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:32

So, Senna had damaged aero bits on his car? Can anyone confirm that?

He was interviewed by the BBC after the session and he said that his sideways moment over the kerb at Pouhon damaged the underside of the car.

#3225 911

• 2,205 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:20

Bruno was a disappointment today. He's out of excuses now. He needs to deliver tomorrow. If not, then Williams should bring in Bottas to finish out the year, IMO.

On a more positive note - great lap from Pastor!

#3226 kenny

kenny

• 2,028 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:07

Bruno was a disappointment today. He's out of excuses now. He needs to deliver tomorrow. If not, then Williams should bring in Bottas to finish out the year, IMO.

On a more positive note - great lap from Pastor!

Lol... He scored pts in 6 races, against pastor 2.
He is only a few pts behind pastor despite his win...
Williams and wolff have both said they are impressed with bruno and how quick he is learning.... Then you read comments like this on a forum :rolleyes:

#3227 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,654 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:15

He is still few points behind Pastor despite that Pastor had only two clean weekends this year. :|

Williams and wolff have both said they are impressed with bruno and how quick he is learning.... Then you read comments like this on a forum :rolleyes:

It's a normal thing that team bosses and members praise their drivers. You doesn't have to perform great to hear some good words about you from your team in media.

TBH I think Bruno has some strong points, but his performances have been rather disappointing. He had only two good weekends this year: in China and in Hungary, everywhere else he was off the pace. And if he doesn't show anything extraordinary in next two or three races, I certainly want to see Bottas in his car next year.

#3228 911

• 2,205 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 21:02

Lol... He scored pts in 6 races, against pastor 2.

Bruno has done a good job finishing races, but if Pastor's racing IQ doesn't dip into single digits on Sundays then he would have a lot more points than Bruno. There's no denying that.

Quite frankly, I would love to see Bruno do well, especially because his uncle will always be my favorite driver. However, it's becoming hard to defend his position in F1 when he routinely can't advance into Q3 even though his teammate gets there on a regular basis.

If there was a circuit where I thought he would be closer to Pastor, then it would have to be Spa and a lot of this is based on what Bruno, himself, has said. He said he expected to do better here since he's back at circuit where he competed last year. However, qualifying has come and gone and he's in a similar qualifying position as before.

I hope Bruno can have a strong race tomorrow. We'll have to wait and see.

Cheers,

#3229 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:32

Well, half an hour to go; just hope "Mad Dog" can keep it on the island and he doesn't tangle with anyone else! Bruno is pretty compromised down in 17th but his race pace has always been better than his qualifying, and you can overtake at Spa, so maybe he can make up enough places to get apoint or two....

Anyway, Forza Williams and all that :up:

edit: awful, hungover spelling...

Edited by Lord Snooty, 02 September 2012 - 11:35.

#3230 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:17

So did Pastor jump the start? Hope not and that he can come through the field

Senna up to 9th...

#3231 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 688 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 13:17

Bruno is sinking like a rock...

#3232 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,499 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 13:19

Bruno is sinking like a rock...

Brakes?

#3233 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 688 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 13:21

Brakes?

Maybe, maybe tires! a 1 stop didn't work and it's late for plan B.

#3234 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,499 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 13:22

Maybe, maybe tires! a 1 stop didn't work and it's late for plan B.

That's a point... at least he's still in the race unlike his teammate...

#3235 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 688 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 13:25

They pitted him now... oh FFS...

#3236 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 281 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 13:29

Hmm ... after Grojean gave them 9 positions, they screwed up on the strategy.

#3237 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 109 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 13:37

Fastest lap for Bruno Senna. Shame his team messed up the strategy.

#3238 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 13:49

God what a frustrating weekend. Everyone can see the pace of the car, but the drivers messed it up. Again. SEN had no pace all weekend and a poor strategy. As for MAL, he cannot have a clean weekend can he!?

What to give to have better drivers...

#3239 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 13:57

Not a good day at all; both drivers seem unable to make use of the car's potential. Something needs to change!

Advertisement

#3240 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 14:03

God what a frustrating weekend. Everyone can see the pace of the car, but the drivers messed it up. Again. SEN had no pace all weekend and a poor strategy. As for MAL, he cannot have a clean weekend can he!?

What to give to have better drivers...

WTF? What about Tom McCullough?

#3241 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 788 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 14:15

Bruno was saying, in a post race interview, that he had a slow puncture in the closing stages which forced the late change....

#3242 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 14:16

Aye, I just saw that too. I think he still would have finished in the same position though!

#3243 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 688 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:39

Vettel gave Bruno a slow puncture @ La Source.

#3244 911

• 2,205 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:49

It seemed like Bruno had good pace today. IMO, he did a good job keeping Vettel at bay during the first part of the race. It's too bad about the slow puncture towards the end. It was good to see him get the Fastest Lap of the race.

As for Pastor, I'm not sure what it's going to take for him to see the light. He seems very determined to keep doing things his way and this is costing him results.

Let's hope the team can rebound in one week's time.

#3245 vas04614

vas04614

• 327 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:55

Team down to Eighth now, Feel sorry for the technical team whose hard efforts in making a good car are ending up in nothing

#3246 MoebiusPT

MoebiusPT

• 52 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:24

Williams should race Valtteri in Monza. Splitstream track, even with DRS, there should be few passes. Maldonado with a 10th place penalty, will not start from the top10, so why not Valtteri?

Didn't Sauber took a similar approach in 2002 US GP?

#3247 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:26

Most improved car driven by .... two very incapable drivers.

Very sad to see all the hard work at the factory being wasted at the hands of these two drivers.

#3248 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,582 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:41

I don't think anyone is surprised that the drivers have proven to be the weak link at Williams.

I really think that, on balance and if Alguersuari became an HRT driver, a Senna/Maldonado line-up would be the weakest driver line-up on the grid.

Far from the best lineup possible

Hmm, I'd argue that outside of HRT they have the weakest lineup on the grid.

Senna + Maldonado = The fall of Williams

Now they will have two pay-drivers and nobody to capitalise on the car's (though, probably non-existent) potential.

What a joke if they end up with Senna and Maldonado.

Crazy decision [Bruno Senna's confirmation at Williams], if this is true its the end of Williams.

Barrichello and Senna would have been a decent line up, but Senna and Maldonado is a stupid decision by Williams, can't see Maldonado leading a team.

#3249 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,582 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:42

And it goes on.

Oh dear. I can see the Williams mechanics having a lot of repair work to do this season

Yeeesh, worst line up of all time? (for an established team looking at finishing 5-7th in the WCC)

If BS isnt up to scratch next year Williams are in big trouble. They really should have have an experienced senior driver in their line up.

#3250 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 751 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:48

This is the best Williams car since 2004, but the worst driver line-up in their history. Barrichello's points would've been worth more than Embratel.