Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#3251 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,838 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:54

This is the best Williams car since 2004, but the worst driver line-up in their history. Barrichello's points would've been worth more than Embratel.

At this point I think Bruno is proving himself worthy of a drive. Scores decent points in most races, but needs to work on his qualifying. It's Maldonado that has only scored 5 points other than his win in his whole Williams career, and doesn't look like adding to that tally.

As soon as Senna passes Pastor's points total (and that will be quite soon), the pressure has to go on to the Venezuelan to justify keeping on, regardless of what money he brings.

Barrichello and Senna would be a good team, and I think Bruno would improve having someone of Rubens' experience alongside him.

Advertisement

#3252 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:58

Maldonado was consistently one second quicker than Bruno during this weekend. Judging from all the FP sessions and qualy.
Spa is where Bruno essentially made his F1 debut... driving a proper F1 car last year. I expected more from him this weekend.

Bruno is clearly not a top F1 driver.

There are better F1 drivers out there who can haul in much more points.

Edited by glorius&victorius, 02 September 2012 - 17:59.

#3253 Massa

Massa

• 4,401 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:13

Even Trulli and Heidfeld could score some points at EACH GP with this car.

#3254 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 788 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:34

At this point I think Bruno is proving himself worthy of a drive. Scores decent points in most races, but needs to work on his qualifying. It's Maldonado that has only scored 5 points other than his win in his whole Williams career, and doesn't look like adding to that tally.

As soon as Senna passes Pastor's points total (and that will be quite soon), the pressure has to go on to the Venezuelan to justify keeping on, regardless of what money he brings.

Barrichello and Senna would be a good team, and I think Bruno would improve having someone of Rubens' experience alongside him.

Maldonado has been very poor all season except for one race, but at least he has shown the speed potential and brings at least 6 times more money than Senna.

Senna's only had two good races. Even a reasonable experienced driver like Heidfeld, Barrichello, Kovalainen, Glock etc would have over 50 points each.

#3255 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 19:28

I really don't know what race were most of posters watching - Senna's performance (puncture or not) was WAY below car's capabilities (which were shown by Pastor on Saturday). Unlike Pastor, Senna is just too reluctant to get into duels and will try to pass only if the other driver moves aside and slows down. He is decent in defending position, but I'm sick and tired of watching williams defending positions.
He found himself in great position after the first lap, and he needed to capitalize - there is no doubt in my mind that williams was faster car than two torro rosso's.

I'm not even going to waste words on Pastor, just it's a good thing he jumped start, atleast he saved most of the car so less spending on spare parts.

Williams is now behind FI - 8th with a GP winning car. Something should be done - bring in Valterri.

#3256 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:51

Well that was very frustrating. Senna just leaves himself far too much to do as he can't get qualifying together. Off the back of his best race of the season in Hungary, the lost FP1 should have been no disadvantage here due to the weather on Friday. He has had enough chances I am afraid and just isn't quick enough.

Pastor summed himself and his season up so far with his performance this weekend. Stunning lap in qualifying with the edge taken off of it by a penalty for blocking. Then the stupid jump start and a tangle with a backmarker.

Now 8th in the constructors championship behind FI. I still think it is possible to catch FI and with a lot of luck Sauber, but not with these drivers.

And the current technical team, who have done a great job to improve the car no end over last season, have only one set of guys to blame for the driver pairing they have now, and that is the people who produced last years' sh!tbox.

What has Alexander Wurz been teaching the drivers this year? Because they don't seem to have improved or changed at all since the first race.

And please Williams commercial team/sponsor hunters - I know it isn't easy but try and get some sponsorship on the car that isn't connected with a driver, so the team can pick the best drivers possible.

#3257 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,892 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:28

Someone has got to drum it in to Maldonado that once he's received a penalty it is defacto damage limitation. Run a clean race and expend the penalty that way he starts afresh the next outing. What does not work is trying to make up for the penalty in the race by overly aggressive driving.

#3258 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,311 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:33

I was really hoping for a fresh start this weekend, but I guess I was wrong. I really don't get how this driver can be so out of control, at this point I wonder if we should blame the team too. At team with so much experience should know how to "fix" Maldonado, or maybe he can't be "fixed", something that it's sad because there is no doubt that he is fast.

Edited by kosmos, 03 September 2012 - 05:34.

#3259 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:41

I was really hoping for a fresh start this weekend, but I guess I was wrong. I really don't get how this driver can be so out of control, at this point I wonder if we should blame the team too. At team with so much experience should know how to "fix" Maldonado, or maybe he can't be "fixed", something that it's sad because there is no doubt that he is fast.

What's worrying is he hasn't improved since last year in terms of cleaning his act up.

If anything he has gotten worse

Advertisement

#3260 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,892 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:22

It's a tricky one because at some stage you reach the point where sponsorship does not make up for the lost positions in the final standings. At that stage Williams will have to say " thanks for the memories". Its still possible to turn their performace around and achieve sixth place.

#3261 Trust

Trust

• 3,200 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:25

This car is a front running car this year, it's just that drivers are incompetent. Put a top driver there and he would have 100+ points.

#3262 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,468 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:40

Pastor's lack of applied brainpower is really starting to wear thin. The jump start was terrible, but at least he could have done his penalty and got on with the race. He was tagged by the Sauber at the first corner and that's not his fault, but, how did he manage to damage his car at the restart again? Barcelona seems like a different driver. He can't be expected to be on pole to have a clean race.

I don't want to be too harsh on Bruno. We don't know the cars ultimate race pace in Belgium and he was put on a bad strategy. I know he's not going as fast as the car can go but at least he's bringing it home. Replacing him mid season is unlikely to improve that car's results in the short term so I'd be fine with him seeing out the season.

It's just frustrating that the team has obviously produced a good car this year and it's not having its potential realised.

#3263 spinster

spinster

• 618 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:56

They absolutely need a top driver, that alone would bring them more money than now with all the sponsorship (minus the rapair bills which are very high)...

If they invested a bit more in Kimi he would be in the same pace as now in lotus...

Get Hamilton, they will get sponsorship too because of Lewis and bring bottas too and get rid off those 2 "drivers"

#3264 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,922 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:57

This car is a front running car this year, it's just that drivers are incompetent. Put a top driver there and he would have 100+ points.

Definitely. The car has been on par with the Lotus E20 in some of the GPs. I'm gutted for the team and sadly they cannot bite the hand that feeds them.

#3265 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,670 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:34

They absolutely need a top driver, that alone would bring them more money than now with all the sponsorship (minus the rapair bills which are very high)...

If they invested a bit more in Kimi he would be in the same pace as now in lotus...

Get Hamilton, they will get sponsorship too because of Lewis and bring bottas too and get rid off those 2 "drivers"

Maldonado brings about 1/3 of Williams' current budget. It's irreplaceable. Assuming you would get 3 positions higher in WCC, not so many car repairs and more sponors' interest (giving that their biggest independent sponsor is Randstad and pay about $5 million per year, I think it's fair to assume $10 million more sponsorship due to better result as an assumption that is optimistic enough), it could give you maybe about $30 million. And with not immediate effect. PDVSA bring $45 million.

And the fact that replacement of PDVSA sponsorship wouldn't come with an immediate effect, it means that you may find out that it will never come.
Decreasing a budget from $135 million to $90 million is a disaster and leads to far less competitive team. So even more competitive driver would've big problems to bring results good enough to replace even half of the PDVSA sponsorship.
Dropping PDVSA means, that the budget is 1/3 lesser for the whole year, as money from WCC standings come at the end of the year, not at the beginning.

Do you think if there is a possibility of having Hamilton in the team together with bringing major sponsorship backing with him Williams wouldn't hire him? Of course they would. But I don't think there is such a possibility.

#3266 hogstar

hogstar

• 186 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:59

The FW34 is good, but howgood?

Some feel that a top line driver would place the car on a different level - scoring wise that would certainly be true - but Pastor speed is underated (shame about everything else) and I'm not sure how much faster a 'top line' driver would be. Quicker, but not much I feel.

Senna's career is finished. He is too slow, especially in qualifying and Williams must now be in a position to get a non paying driver. I would like Williams to give Bottas a run before the end of the year, especially to see how quick he is in relation to Pastor. That said, if Pastor gets a ban - he is on verythin ice with the FIA - then Bottas will replace him, so he could get a run one way or the other.

Its a good job Pastor has a 10 place grid penalty for Monza, as I could see carnage at the first corner if he was 5th or 6th on the grid!

#3267 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:03

Why are so many people calling for Barrichello back? He was rubbish last year. I think they got the driver line-up right: Senna was good in his races for Renault, while Maldonado was considerably better than Barrichello. It hasn't worked, but it was a good idea.

#3268 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:09

Raikkonen is not a top driver and has been wasting the fastest car on the grid, and Williams would not be able to afford Hamilton. Maldonado and Bottas for 2013.

#3269 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,670 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:14

Why are so many people calling for Barrichello back? He was rubbish last year. I think they got the driver line-up right: Senna was good in his races for Renault, while Maldonado was considerably better than Barrichello. It hasn't worked, but it was a good idea.

There is much truth in this. Looking at the 2011 season, you shouldn't expect that Maldonado would be crashing so often and Senna would be struggling so much with his qualifying pace.
2011 season gave a reason to think that Maldonado would be doing in 2012 at least as good job as Rubens. It's a shame reality led to different scenario. Maldonado is capable of crashing much more seldom than he is at the moment. Maybe he couldn't cope with the pressure of having front-running car. Last year he was driving in the lower midfield and hasn't that much contacts with other drivers and pace-wise was more promising than Rubens.

#3270 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:23

There is much truth in this. Looking at the 2011 season, you shouldn't expect that Maldonado would be crashing so often and Senna would be struggling so much with his qualifying pace.
2011 season gave a reason to think that Maldonado would be doing in 2012 at least as good job as Rubens. It's a shame reality led to different scenario. Maldonado is capable of crashing much more seldom than he is at the moment. Maybe he couldn't cope with the pressure of having front-running car. Last year he was driving in the lower midfield and hasn't that much contacts with other drivers and pace-wise was more promising than Rubens.

It's strange really. Crashing-wise Maldonado has deteriorated from last year to this, while Senna was very fast on occasions for Renault but is yet to show that for Williams. Senna's problem may be the tyres, but I don't know what's wrong with Maldonado. I defend him a lot, but there's no denying he crashes too much (although he has also been quite unlucky this season). I think Senna has shot himself in the foot with regards to keeping his drive, and will be replaced by Bottas for next season. I think Maldonado will be kept, because of the money and the fact that he clearly can perform when he gets it right. Williams certainly seems to believe in him.

#3271 SirPaulGerman

SirPaulGerman

• 27 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 15:17

It's strange really. Crashing-wise Maldonado has deteriorated from last year to this, while Senna was very fast on occasions for Renault but is yet to show that for Williams. Senna's problem may be the tyres, but I don't know what's wrong with Maldonado. I defend him a lot, but there's no denying he crashes too much (although he has also been quite unlucky this season). I think Senna has shot himself in the foot with regards to keeping his drive, and will be replaced by Bottas for next season. I think Maldonado will be kept, because of the money and the fact that he clearly can perform when he gets it right. Williams certainly seems to believe in him.

there is going to be elections this year in Venezuela , so if Chavez loose , there is not going to be any money for Pastor , so maybe Bruno is going to stay after all

#3272 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 788 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 15:38

No, he wasn't. Barrichello was generally slightly faster than Maldonado in the races. There is a huge deficit between Maldonado and Senna.

If I were Williams I'd be hoping either Mal and Sen get banned so they can bring Bottas in whilst keeping the sponsorship money.

#3273 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 16:02

No, he wasn't. Barrichello was generally slightly faster than Maldonado in the races. There is a huge deficit between Maldonado and Senna.

If I were Williams I'd be hoping either Mal and Sen get banned so they can bring Bottas in whilst keeping the sponsorship money.

Barrichello was more consistent than Maldonado but slower. If Maldonado hadn't been taken out by Hamilton in Monaco he would have outscored Rubens as well (he actually lapped Barrichello in that race). Senna was sometimes much quicker than Petrov (outqualified him by a second in Singapore, for example) and I believe there's more to come from him.

That said, I think Senna will get dropped at the end of the season. Maldonado will be kept alongside Bottas, but maybe with an ultimatum - don't crash too much, or you'll be out of your seat.

#3274 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 16:49

What Williams need is for there to be another, fast Venuzualan driver as the sponsor money isn't specially tied to Maldonado.

#3275 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 17:59

What Williams need is for there to be another, fast Venuzualan driver as the sponsor money isn't specially tied to Maldonado.

That seat is just crying out for Giancarlo Serenelli.

#3276 djparky

djparky

• 172 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 20:34

God what a frustrating weekend. Everyone can see the pace of the car, but the drivers messed it up. Again. SEN had no pace all weekend and a poor strategy. As for MAL, he cannot have a clean weekend can he!?

What to give to have better drivers...

agreed- this is what happens when driivers are selected on merits of how much cash they bring- rather than ability. Can but wonder what ther Kimster or Barrichello or the Hulk could have done with it

#3277 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,670 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 20:43

agreed- this is what happens when driivers are selected on merits of how much cash they bring- rather than ability. Can but wonder what ther Kimster or Barrichello or the Hulk could have done with it

I think Hulk for example would've at least about 100 points scored by now.

But you must consider another thing. The car wouldn't be so fast if they hadn't chosen two pay-drivers. So it's not like they would be enjoying a great season with dfferent driver choice.

#3278 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,634 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 20:52

I think Hulk for example would've at least about 100 points scored by now.

But you must consider another thing. The car wouldn't be so fast if they hadn't chosen two pay-drivers. So it's not like they would be enjoying a great season with dfferent driver choice.

The car is fast by design, not because of the pay drivers.

#3279 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,670 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 21:38

If not the pay drivers, the team couldn't afford to keep all current staff and put enough resources for development. Given how tight the grid is this year, it should make quite a difference.

Advertisement

#3280 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 22:07

The design was paid for by pay drivers. If it wasn't for pay drivers, Williams would potentially be in danger of ceasing to exist.

#3281 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:04

There must be better pay drivers out there then the pairing Team Willy have got this year, surely?
Car is better then the drivers punting it.

#3282 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,071 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:55

The design was paid for by pay drivers. If it wasn't for pay drivers, Williams would potentially be in danger of ceasing to exist.

Thats the sad state of Williams. So let Pastor do the talking now eh ?

#3283 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:03

There must be better pay drivers out there then the pairing Team Willy have got this year, surely?
Car is better then the drivers punting it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Sutil would probably have been faster than Senna and more consistent than Maldo, and has backing

Just dreaming but imagine what Alonso would be doing with this car

#3284 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,670 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:37

I believe Williams would've hired Sutil instead of Senna but:
- Sutil was in danger of abandoning Chinese GP due to incident with Lux.
- He has lost his Medion backing after 2011. He said he wasn't going to pay for a seat anymore.

#3285 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:44

I believe Williams would've hired Sutil instead of Senna but:
- Sutil was in danger of abandoning Chinese GP due to incident with Lux.
- He has lost his Medion backing after 2011. He said he wasn't going to pay for a seat anymore.

In that case good luck to him finding a seat for next year...

So how are Williams going to go at Monza? With Maldo's 10 place penalty and Senna's qualfying form they will both probably be starting aroung place 14-18. Think FI and Sauber will go well, and Torro Rosso seemed to have found some pace at Spa.

All in all it could be a race to record and watch later for me!

#3286 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,502 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:49

Car should be okay. It's very good under braking which is essential in Monza chicanes.

#3287 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:00

I think Senna will qualify about 12th, Maldonado 6th or 7th (to become 16th or 17th). Points I think are possible for both drivers. The race I'm really looking forward to for Williams is Suzuka, they should be really quick there.

#3288 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,393 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:45

I think Williams will go even better in Singapore.

#3289 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,892 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:02

Monza is all about engine top end and Renault is probably behind Cosworth in that respect, bearing in mind there's probably no more than 10 bhp between all the engines.

#3290 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,670 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:00

Red Bull has won last year at Monza with Renault engine so it's either not all about engine top end or Renault has the best engine top end.

#3291 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:03

I think Williams will go even better in Singapore.

The reason I think they'll be good in Suzuka is that it's quite similar to Barcelona and the Hungaroring (I think). They were obviously very quick at those two circuits.

#3292 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 322 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:24

The reason I think they'll be good in Suzuka is that it's quite similar to Barcelona and the Hungaroring (I think). They were obviously very quick at those two circuits.

Suzuka similar to Hungary?

Both have bends and tarmac granted but.............well, really?

#3293 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,892 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:30

Red Bull has won last year at Monza with Renault engine so it's either not all about engine top end or Renault has the best engine top end.

By Blowing the diffuser both on and off the throttle. That was worth around a second a lap to them. Now that they can't do that they are struggling and I predict will not win at Monza, look to a Stuttgart unit to seal that glory.

#3294 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,670 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:34

And I don't think Hungary was one of those places where FW34 was the most competitive this year. It was just Senna who has put together his first good weekend since China. If these drivers would usually score the results that this car deserved, you would easily realise that Hungary was nothing special for Williams. Enought to say that Hungary was the worst Williams' qualifying since Canada to now.

#3295 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:35

At the end of the day the amount of points scored will depend as much on how fast the car is as how likely it is that:

a) Maldo has a brain fade at some point in the weekend
b) Senna doesn't get qualifying together

Shame but those be the facts.

I seem to remember that Monza isn't just about top end speed as you need a decent amount of downforce to get through sector 2 quickly

#3296 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:45

Suzuka similar to Hungary?

Both have bends and tarmac granted but.............well, really?

Similar in terms of downforce requirements I think? May be thinking of something else though.

#3297 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:47

And I don't think Hungary was one of those places where FW34 was the most competitive this year. It was just Senna who has put together his first good weekend since China. If these drivers would usually score the results that this car deserved, you would easily realise that Hungary was nothing special for Williams. Enought to say that Hungary was the worst Williams' qualifying since Canada to now.

What I read Hungary as was Senna having a normal weekend for him but Maldonado underperforming in qualifying compared to where he normally is. Therefore if Senna could qualify 8th or 9th the car must have been pretty good.

#3298 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,670 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 14:23

Therefore if Senna could qualify 8th or 9th the car must have been pretty good.

This car is usually good. But it doesn't mean that it had to be better than usual to allow Senna qualify 9th. Good weekend for Senna is much simplier explanation. Especially that he has proved last year that he is able to be quick in qualifying when he feels comfortable.

What I read Hungary as was Senna having a normal weekend for him but Maldonado underperforming in qualifying compared to where he normally is.

Where did you read it? I don't get it. Senna got much praise after that weekend, especially from the team. He was quick throughout the practise sessions probably only one time this year. He managed to keep the Maldonado's pace for the majority of the weekend, probably the only time this season. That would be quite strange: car was better than usual exactly at the time when Maldonado was worse than usual so Senna could be close. :drunk: Senna having good weekend is much simplier explanation and I rather go with this.

#3299 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 14:28

This car is usually good. But it doesn't mean that it had to be better than usual to allow Senna qualify 9th. Good weekend for Senna is much simplier explanation. Especially that he has proved last year that he is able to be quick in qualifying when he feels comfortable.

I'd be more willing to accept that if Senna had had a comparable performance in qualifying at other races this year. He hasn't.

Where did you read it? I don't get it. Senna got much praise after that weekend, especially from the team. He was quick throughout the practise sessions probably only one time this year. He managed to keep the Maldonado's pace for the majority of the weekend, probably the only time this season. That would be quite strange: car was better than usual exactly at the time when Maldonado was worse than usual so Senna could be close. :drunk: Senna having good weekend is much simplier explanation and I rather go with this.

I didn't read it anywhere. To read something as ... is an expression used in English. Again, Senna hasn't been like that at any other time this season, so I think the car must have been particularly good.

Advertisement

#3300 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 14:35

Well, It's useless to cry about the drivers since FW obviously ain't going to introduce any changes to the line-up. IMHO the half season point was the best time to get rid of Senna and put Bottass in the car. But as we can see, Williams is stuck with the pair who seldomly bring big points in a good car.

It's also useless to talk where would the car be in e.g. Alonso's hands. While I'm sure that Williams would be amongst the top 4, they couldn't have made the car as it is without funds.

Also, I think the car isn't any faster than it seems. I would rate Pastor amongst top 5 (or maybe even top 3) fastest drivers over a single lap. The lap he pulled on saturday's Q3 wasn't a small feat. And when he puts it together with a clean race (which happens almost never) he can win. I think Rubens, Hulk and Sutil are all slower drivers than Pastor, but they are more consistent, as they could bring the car safely to the end of the race. But I also think that any of said drivers wouldn't win in this years Williams. Maybe Alonso, Hamilton and Kimi would be able to win, but they are unacessible to Williams ATM.

With one driver so fast and unreliable like Pastor, it is importand that the team has a decent second driver, which can bring decent amount of points regurarly. Bruno Senna isn't that driver. Senna has proven that he is slow, or that Pastor makes him look slow. Either way, he was a bad pick from Williams, and I think they would be better off with Bottas. Infact, if Bottas was driving this season Williams would be in much better shape, and would have more perspective for 2013 (as in Bottass wouldn't be a rookie).

Edited by joora, 05 September 2012 - 07:49.