Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#3351 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 15:49

:up:

If it wasn't for Pastor, Williams would be in same league was Force India. It was him who could put the car where it belonged, in some track which suited it.

But the WCC game is over for Williams. They won't get caught by FI and neither get Sauber/Mercedes

You know Force India are ahead in the WCC?

Advertisement

#3352 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 16:00

Senna and Ricciardo pitted on the same lap, only that the Toro Rosso pitstop was over 1 second faster than Williams. Unacceptable.

You are correct. My fault, they pitted in the same lap, just after Ricciardo overtook Bruno. I was pissed about that because they could pitted Bruno before when he had a gap to Ricciardo. My fault. :blush:

#3353 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,560 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 16:03

I hate to admit it but Williams won't catch Sauber, that horse has well and truly bolted. They should be able to overtake FI though as Williams has a car that has more efficient downforce. At least Maldonado kept his nose clean so hopefully he'll get a clean start in Singapore.

Edited by Petroltorque, 09 September 2012 - 16:04.

#3354 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,560 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 16:06

Not exactly... Their quali battle finished 9:9... ;)

Lets put this one to bed. We're talking about absolute pace. How many times did Barrichello qualify in the top 10?

#3355 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:10

Lets put this one to bed. We're talking about absolute pace. How many times did Barrichello qualify in the top 10?

True, but is it that important? Maldonado scored only in 3 RACES since he has been driving for Williams... That is really disappointing...

#3356 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,635 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 17:31

True, but is it that important?

Yes. it is important. Nobody denies that he is doing way too many mistakes, which makes his performances not good enough at all.

But he has shown more potential than Barrichello in terms of speed. And if he doesn't crash, you cannot assume that many of other drivers would be much quicker in his car. So his results in WDC doesn't show how good the car may be, but his pace in a single race is a good benchmark of what the car is capable of. And it is actually capable of more than 8 in WCC, but I'm sure today it wasn't really capable of good point finish (especially without retirements of quicker cars) and you couldn't demand Maldonado to score points from the back. It's also not the car with the potential of winning WDC, also 5th in WCC would be a realistic goal.

#3357 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 18:05

Yes. it is important. Nobody denies that he is doing way too many mistakes, which makes his performances not good enough at all.

But he has shown more potential than Barrichello in terms of speed. And if he doesn't crash, you cannot assume that many of other drivers would be much quicker in his car. So his results in WDC doesn't show how good the car may be, but his pace in a single race is a good benchmark of what the car is capable of. And it is actually capable of more than 8 in WCC, but I'm sure today it wasn't really capable of good point finish (especially without retirements of quicker cars) and you couldn't demand Maldonado to score points from the back. It's also not the car with the potential of winning WDC, also 5th in WCC would be a realistic goal.

:up: This. You can make a quick driver stop crashing, but you can't make a slow driver quick.

#3358 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 18:07

Another dissapointing weekend alltogether. Senna had a good start for a change, but failed to capitalize on it (he was 10th after the first lap, and 10th after 3 or 4 drivers in front got to leave the race due technical problems. Pastor also had a forgetable race, but it was to be expected starting from 22nd.

One question - why haven't DiResta been penalized for his move on Senna? He has already changed his defensive line once, and than pushed Senna out of the track.

Anyway, I think Williams was lucky that FI hasn't capitalized on the blistering speed it had on this track. They are still reachable in WCC, unlike Sauber.

#3359 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 18:16

You know Force India are ahead in the WCC?

Didn't realise that.

So, you guys can still pass them ;)

Advertisement

#3360 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,635 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 18:18

One question - why haven't DiResta been penalized for his move on Senna? He has already changed his defensive line once, and than pushed Senna out of the track.

I think he hasn't been penalized because he had closed the outside line when Senna's front wing was still behind his rear wing. It was possible to see from Bruno's onboard. I think it was overoptimistic move from Bruno. From front it could look like di Resta forced him to run out of the track, but in fact, he still had a time to give up or try the attack down the inside but he was so keen for attack down the outside that he has forced himself to run too wide.

Although I'm a Williams fan, I wouldn't penalise di Resta for that move based on what I've seen from Bruno's onboard.

#3361 4L3X

4L3X

• 2,012 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 18:28

Later when Button went past Massa, Massa moved away nicely, giving just enough room for Button. Senna could have done some fast avoiding move like that at the time, he was over optimistic and a bit of a bully there - or maybe just desperate.

Sadly, another race to forget.

#3362 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 688 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 18:33

We didn't hear yet about the FW35! anybody got a clue?

#3363 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,635 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 18:36

We didn't hear yet about the FW35! anybody got a clue?

What would you like to hear?

It will be designed by Ed Wood and Mike Coughlan, it will be powered by Renault etc.

Or maybe do you mean that we didn't hear they're going to focus on FW35 soon? Still we shouldn't expect too much talking about this.

#3364 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 18:39

Another dissapointing weekend alltogether. Senna had a good start for a change, but failed to capitalize on it (he was 10th after the first lap, and 10th after 3 or 4 drivers in front got to leave the race due technical problems. Pastor also had a forgetable race, but it was to be expected starting from 22nd.

Anyway, I think Williams was lucky that FI hasn't capitalized on the blistering speed it had on this track. They are still reachable in WCC, unlike Sauber.

apart from that one race in malaysia (where he was lucky to be on the right tires at the end)... Bruno Lalli has never capitalized on anything in his F1 career.
Maldo... the stats tell it all.

2 clowns ruining the potential of a great package. :down:

Get Bottas in the car for some races in 2012.

Edited by glorius&victorius, 09 September 2012 - 18:42.

#3365 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 19:18

Speed isn t everything in the world of Formula One, it is just a part of the game... Another important matter is to think about what you should do and what not on the racetrack... And this seems to be Maldonados weakest point... And btw. there were examples when a driver, who started the race from back or even from pitlane, has scored some points...

#3366 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,635 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 19:28

Oh man, are you ever going to understand the point?

Speed isn t everything in the world of Formula One, it is just a part of the game... Another important matter is to think about what you should do and what not on the racetrack... And this seems to be Maldonados weakest point...

Nobody denies that he is doing way too many mistakes, which makes his performances not good enough at all.

And btw. there were examples when a driver, who started the race from back or even from pitlane, has scored some points...

But he has shown more potential than Barrichello in terms of speed. And if he doesn't crash, you cannot assume that many of other drivers would be much quicker in his car. So his results in WDC doesn't show how good the car may be, but his pace in a single race is a good benchmark of what the car is capable of. And it is actually capable of more than 8 in WCC,but I'm sure today it wasn't really capable of good point finish(especially without retirements of quicker cars) and you couldn't demand Maldonado to score points from the back.

'you couldn't demand Maldonado to score points from the back" (in this car, which was obviously not well suited for Monza track, as I predicted before the race)

#3367 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:56

Bottas to drive for Williams in 2013.

According to exclusive source of russian portal motor.ru

"Bottas has signed a contract for Williams seat in 2013. He can get a drive for one GP in the end of 2012 as well, but this is still a question. No information on who he is going to replace."©

#3368 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:01

Bottas to drive for Williams in 2013.

According to exclusive source of russian portal motor.ru

"Bottas has signed a contract for Williams seat in 2013. He can get a drive for one GP in the end of 2012 as well, but this is still a question. No information on who he is going to replace."©

Unless they find a couple of new sponsors it will be Senna he replaces. Thinking about it Senna has done nothing this season so far to suggest he can match Maldonado so that's 2 things in Pastors favour. He just needs to cut out the brain fade moments.

The car will look pretty bare next year with Senna's sponsors gone.

#3369 slu

slu

• 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:13

Williams GP Holding released their interim report for jan-june 2012 this morning- and it shows a team in a very healthy financial situation.
Net profit for the first 6 months was 6,6 mill £ and with positive cashflow of 32,2 mill£. The balance sheet also looks very healthy.

Edited by slu, 10 September 2012 - 07:16.

#3370 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:40

Williams GP Holding released their interim report for jan-june 2012 this morning- and it shows a team in a very healthy financial situation.
Net profit for the first 6 months was 6,6 mill £ and with positive cashflow of 32,2 mill£. The balance sheet also looks very healthy.

Does Williams GP Holding take into account the KERS/Hybrid company?

#3371 slu

slu

• 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:59

Williams GP Holdings owns 78% of Williams Hybrid - and this is included in the figures.
However as the minority share of the profit is positive - one can assume that Williams Hybrid booked loss on app 1,2-1,3 mill£ for the first 6 months.

#3372 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:42

Williams GP Holdings owns 78% of Williams Hybrid - and this is included in the figures.
However as the minority share of the profit is positive - one can assume that Williams Hybrid booked loss on app 1,2-1,3 mill£ for the first 6 months.

So without the 35 or so Million that Bruno and Pastor bring they would be deep in the red...

#3373 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,635 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:27

This seems to be the trend for them since 2008 or 2009, but I still read from time to time that somebody claims they have a huge debt or sir Frank is going to sell his team soon due to financial struggles. :drunk: :rotfl:

#3374 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:30

This seems to be the trend for them since 2008 or 2009, but I still read from time to time that somebody claims they have a huge debt or sir Frank is going to sell his team soon due to financial struggles. :drunk: :rotfl:

The bottom line wouldn't look so nice without the mysterious FOM 'fidelity' handouts.

#3375 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:31

I think Sir Frank will sell the team in the next few years but not for financial reasons.

#3376 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,635 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:35

I think Sir Frank will sell the team in the next few years but not for financial reasons.

It may be the case. He is getting older and older. But he will sell the team to a person who will continue with current identity of the team.

#3377 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 749 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:36

Eh? The 2011 Williams was rarely quick enough to qualify in the top 10. The qualifying statistics show that it was even between the two drivers, Barrichello just happened to be faster when the car was relatively slower.

Barrichello had the edge on race pace.

The bottom line wouldn't look so nice without the mysterious FOM 'fidelity' handouts.

That, plus Senna's sponsorship whereas they were paying Barrichello.

Poor race from Senna again yesterday. Should've had the pace to finish 7th or 8th, even regardless of the Di Resta incident. Maldonado was miles behind him at one point but caught him up over the race.

#3378 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:41

Eh? The 2011 Williams was rarely quick enough to qualify in the top 10. The qualifying statistics show that it was even between the two drivers, Barrichello just happened to be faster when the car was relatively slower.

When the Williams was quick, it was invariably Maldonado who took advantage of it. Williams kept the right driver.

#3379 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:44

Not saying Senna was good but they were on different strategies, Senna 1 stop Pastor 2

Advertisement

#3380 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,635 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:45

Not necessarily. There were many races in which Pastor did better or comparable job to Rubens. In last 8 races of the season Rubens outraced Pastor only once, while Pastor outraced Rubens 4 times (3 times at least one of them was not classified). They were about as even as in qualifying. But I would say Pastor had better flashes troughout the season.

#3381 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:46

Senna should stop waving the hand every time he's got an accident.

#3382 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:54

Senna should stop waving the hand every time he's got an accident.

I suppose the pressure of Bottas may be getting to him unfortunately.

#3383 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:18

I suppose the pressure of Bottas may be getting to him unfortunately.

He did the same last year in Brazil while driving straight into Michael. That is a bad bad habit.

Edited by sofarapartguy, 10 September 2012 - 10:18.

#3384 Dunc

Dunc

• 433 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:46

Whatever happens, I hope Williams can get a quick, consistent and disciplined driver into their car next season. PM was setting fastest laps a lot yesterday, but that's for nothing when you're in 20th place. The car is obviously quick but PM doesn't have the discipline needed to be up at the front each race and Bruno, sadly, isn't really good enough. If only they had kept the Hul in 2011 and ditched Rubens.

#3385 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,635 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:51

All signs show that it will be Maldonado-Bottas driver pairing at Williams in 2013. A lot of sources are confirming it recently.

#3386 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:00

I think Senna would still be too slow but he's further handicapped by the fact his weekends start on FP2..

I've said that many times but I think it's a huge shame it was handled that way.

If you want Bottas in the car, put him in the car for good FFS.. and stop cashing Bruno's checks.

#3387 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:12

I think Senna would still be too slow but he's further handicapped by the fact his weekends start on FP2..

I've said that many times but I think it's a huge shame it was handled that way.

If you want Bottas in the car, put him in the car for good FFS.. and stop cashing Bruno's checks.

It's not right to put Senna's lack of performance down to missing FP1. Other drivers - for example Hulkenberg and Di Resta - have sometimes had to give their cars up but it hasn't affected their performance at all. Plus Senna has shown no noticeable improvement on the occasions when he has had all practice sessions.

#3388 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:24

It's not right to put Senna's lack of performance down to missing FP1. Other drivers - for example Hulkenberg and Di Resta - have sometimes had to give their cars up but it hasn't affected their performance at all. Plus Senna has shown no noticeable improvement on the occasions when he has had all practice sessions.

I wouldn't bet the house on that.

Also I said I thought Senna would still be too slow, but in my view it's a matter of principle. Williams are not maximizing Senna's potential, missing so many FP1s in such an established team is completely unheard of.

I don't think Senna is a very good F1 driver, but I'll never support the kind of conditions he has to operate under. Part of it his his fault as well, it's surely in his contract, I realize that.. but it sure is a shitty way to compete in a F1 season.

#3389 Latos

Latos

• 65 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:36

The idiotism here baffles me...7 points splits di Resta, Hulk, Maldonado and Senna. Williams is good on the high downforce, FI on highspeed, low df tracks. Cars are there, very similar. Nor Hulk, nor the all loving di Resta lost that many fp1 as Senna did, in the season where tyre understanding is crucial. Where did you get all that "Bottas would do better job" ?? Anyone who follows this sport more than 2+ years should know that kind of speculation worths nothing in formula 1!

#3390 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:40

I wouldn't bet the house on that.

Also I said I thought Senna would still be too slow, but in my view it's a matter of principle. Williams are not maximizing Senna's potential, missing so many FP1s in such an established team is completely unheard of.

I don't think Senna is a very good F1 driver, but I'll never support the kind of conditions he has to operate under. Part of it his his fault as well, it's surely in his contract, I realize that.. but it sure is a shitty way to compete in a F1 season.

Well, lets see.

In China, Di Resta gave his car to Bianchi in FP1, outqualified Hulkenberg by 0.4 and beat him in the race as well.
Spain, Bianchi in PDR's car in FP1, but he outqualified Hulkenberg.
Europe, Bianchi had Hulk's car, but Hulk outqualified and out-raced Di Resta. Ditto for Silverstone.
Okay, in Germany Di Resta was way behind Hulk after giving his car to Bianchi in FP1.
Hungary, Hulk gave up his car, outqualified and outraced Di Resta.

I'd say that's pretty convincing evidence that Bianchi's involvement has had little or no effect on the performance of Hulk and Di Resta.

#3391 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:45

7 points is significant when you're realistically fighting for the last points-giving position though.

I'm sure the technical people at Williams are scratching their heads, the car was good enough to handily win the race at the track that is the barometer of all tracks when it comes to car performance.

One way or the other this seriously brings the drivers into question.

I'd say that's pretty convincing evidence that Bianchi's involvement has had little or no effect on the performance of Hulk and Di Resta.

I remember the drivers complaining about it a couple of times, so maybe they could have done even better with an additional 1.5 hours of track time to work with.

But then again the additional track time didn't prevent Maldonado constantly colliding with stuff so I guess you can read whatever you want into it. Personally I think Senna could have used the seat time.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102324

That's just the last one, you can go back and notice Senna was on the backfoot a lot of times. The only thing that's good for is for Bottas.

Edited by Slowinfastout, 10 September 2012 - 13:01.

#3392 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:48

Also Senna's performance at Spa, where FP1 was a washout for everybody, was way behind Maldo in qualifying

#3393 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 13:19

Senna had FP1 in Australia, but qualified 0.5 behind Maldonado. He also had FP1 in Monaco, but was 6 tenths slower. He had FP1 in Canada, and outqualified Maldonado, but only because Maldonado crashed at the final corner. If he'd finished the lap he would have been about 0.7 ahead of Senna based on his first two sectors. So unfortunately it seems that Senna's problem runs far deeper than just missing FP1.

#3394 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:02

I think we can conclude that Senna is simply not good enough for top-tier motor racing. He is way more likeable than Pastor, he doesn't make lots of stupid mistakes, but he is slow, slow, slow. I really think he should've been replaced after the summer break, and I think Williams ain't doing themselves a favour by keeping him by the end of the season. They would have a reasonably ready Bottass for the next season (instead of rookie Bottass they will have).

#3395 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,635 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:31

Williams are not maximizing Senna's potential, missing so many FP1s in such an established team is completely unheard of.

I'm afraid Williams have never intended to maximize Senna's potential and always treated him as a temporary solution. I think it was a part of a long term plan.

Let's look at it:
- Williams had poor 2011. They needed to rebuilt the team. But they needed money to do this. They were lacking a bit of cash after placing themselves at 9th in WCC and losing title sponsor without replacement of it. They needed to make themselves able to build a competitive car again rather than having two competitive drivers. They needed money with an immediate effect in order not to go further with their crisis of performance.
- So they went for Bruno, as it was probably the most efficient way (mabye the only possible one) to gain the amount of money they needed. Moreover, they could force him to share the car with Bottas, as Bruno had no other reasonable options available. That allowed them to gain another $$$ (not very much though) from Bottas' personal sponsors for giving him that much time in the car.
- They've rebuilt the team before 2012. They get "a one off payment following a new commercial agreement for their continued commitment to Formula One" this year, and they will improve they WCC standing by 1 or 2 compared to last year. So they will be able to drop Senna's backing without that much negative influence on the team. And they will have Bottas, the driver who was probably intended by Williams to get a racing seat somewhere in the future. Bottas now has more experience in F1 car thanks to being that much in the car in the cost of Bruno. That will help him a lot.

So all in all, they've used Bruno in their plan to get money exactly when they needed it the most (winter 2011/2012) and to give Bottas more experience with F1 car making him more ready to be a future lead driver of the team. After this, they don't need him anymore so they will probably let him go. I would say poor Bruno, but it was his own choice to agree on Williams terms. And he could do yet another F1 season, which would be probably impossible without Williams. They knew they needed some kind of compromise in 2012. So they decided to go for an intermediate year with Bruno, with a risk of not maximising their 2012 performance, but with a better prospects in a long term.

I think Williams thought a simillar way that I've described. It makes sense for me. It could make even more sense for them.

#3396 Kyo

Kyo

• 781 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 17:38

I think we can conclude that Senna is simply not good enough for top-tier motor racing. He is way more likeable than Pastor, he doesn't make lots of stupid mistakes, but he is slow, slow, slow. I really think he should've been replaced after the summer break, and I think Williams ain't doing themselves a favour by keeping him by the end of the season. They would have a reasonably ready Bottass for the next season (instead of rookie Bottass they will have).

i don't think it's a good idea. They are doing exactly what is best for Bottas. Next year Bottas will have a good knowledge of the car and the tracks. he will just start racing after testing all pre-season which is a lot of running and will probably be the most prepared rookie to jump in a race weekend since the ban on in season testing. the trade off to jump in now just sucks. he has nothing to gain and a lot to lose doing that. this is just worth when a driver will probably has no other chance and so needs to prove something to guarantee a sit in the following year.

#3397 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 17:49

I'm afraid Williams have never intended to maximize Senna's potential and always treated him as a temporary solution. I think it was a part of a long term plan.

Let's look at it:
- Williams had poor 2011. They needed to rebuilt the team. But they needed money to do this. They were lacking a bit of cash after placing themselves at 9th in WCC and losing title sponsor without replacement of it. They needed to make themselves able to build a competitive car again rather than having two competitive drivers. They needed money with an immediate effect in order not to go further with their crisis of performance.
- So they went for Bruno, as it was probably the most efficient way (mabye the only possible one) to gain the amount of money they needed. Moreover, they could force him to share the car with Bottas, as Bruno had no other reasonable options available. That allowed them to gain another $$$ (not very much though) from Bottas' personal sponsors for giving him that much time in the car.
- They've rebuilt the team before 2012. They get "a one off payment following a new commercial agreement for their continued commitment to Formula One" this year, and they will improve they WCC standing by 1 or 2 compared to last year. So they will be able to drop Senna's backing without that much negative influence on the team. And they will have Bottas, the driver who was probably intended by Williams to get a racing seat somewhere in the future. Bottas now has more experience in F1 car thanks to being that much in the car in the cost of Bruno. That will help him a lot.

So all in all, they've used Bruno in their plan to get money exactly when they needed it the most (winter 2011/2012) and to give Bottas more experience with F1 car making him more ready to be a future lead driver of the team. After this, they don't need him anymore so they will probably let him go. I would say poor Bruno, but it was his own choice to agree on Williams terms. And he could do yet another F1 season, which would be probably impossible without Williams. They knew they needed some kind of compromise in 2012. So they decided to go for an intermediate year with Bruno, with a risk of not maximising their 2012 performance, but with a better prospects in a long term.

I think Williams thought a simillar way that I've described. It makes sense for me. It could make even more sense for them.

Totally agree with that, 100%.. but I still don't like it.

Basically I'm forced to put an asterisk (*) whenever I talk about Senna's performance, missing 1.5 hours out of 5.5 hours almost every weekend is not competing on equal terms to his peers.

#3398 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,635 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 18:11

Totally agree with that, 100%.. but I still don't like it.

I understand you don't like it but it's how F1 works.

Sometimes team's interests are conflicting with driver's interests. Senna has accepted his role as Bottas had guaranteed his 15 FP1 runnings much earlier than Senna signed his contract. So he had to know about that and he agreed on that so I don't think it's right to bewail on him. He is guilty himself for the situation in which he is now. He has famous name and large sponsor backing so he still has easier task with securing his racing future than many others.

#3399 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,337 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:21

Senna's interest was getting a drive with the most competitive F1 car that he could possibly get, with Williams he got a race winning car which is more than I'm sure he was getting.

I'm sure if he was given the choice between a slightly compromised Williams drive and an HRT or even a Toro Rosso he would choose the Williams. Additionally Williams have very good simulators so this would mitigate his loss slightly.

Unfortunately if Bruno was good enough we would have seen it by now, despite the lack of Friday running. I do hope that he ends up better tha Maldonado just because of the differing levels of likeability, however I don't think he should be in the car next year (neither Maldonado for that matter).

Advertisement

#3400 dimoose

dimoose

• 67 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:52

Senna has accepted his role as Bottas had guaranteed his 15 FP1 runnings much earlier than Senna signed his contract.

I wonder what Williams would have done if they had signed Kimi?