Photo

Williams 2012 - FW34 Renault

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#401 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:08

So if Williams are looking at Senna does this mean the QNB deal has fallen through?

Don't really see the association of it, but it is always a bit of possibility.

Not sure about Senna? Yes he is a bit uncertain. If Sutil get no seat then...

Advertisement

#402 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:20

Don't really see the association of it, but it is always a bit of possibility.

Not sure about Senna? Yes he is a bit uncertain. If Sutil get no seat then...

I would have thought that if the QNB deal was signed, coupled with Maldo's money, they wouldn't need a second pay driver?

Although the 3 that seem to be in the running at the moment (Rubens, Sutil, Senna) all appear to have money.

#403 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,075 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:26

I would have thought that if the QNB deal was signed, coupled with Maldo's money, they wouldn't need a second pay driver?

Although the 3 that seem to be in the running at the moment (Rubens, Sutil, Senna) all appear to have money.

It also depends of what driver suits best for sponsors events.

#404 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:03

Senna did this shopping shots for Lotus Garments. Kinda neat.

Rubens sells Smile.

Sutil is this lite presence.

Com'on It is about the formula one race driver! Who is the faster guy on track!

#405 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,075 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:07

Senna did this shopping shots for Lotus Garments. Kinda neat.

Rubens sells Smile.

Sutil is this lite presence.

Com'on It is about the formula one race driver! Who is the faster guy on track!

And Santa exists.

#406 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:57

I bet Williams is waiting for Kubica.

#407 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 791 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:03

From what I understand, Sutil now looks unlikely, it's between Senna and Barrichello (ironically the same as 2008 when Barrichello almost dropped out of F1 too).

Barrichello has amassed sponsorship of approx $5m.

#408 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:32

From what I understand, Sutil now looks unlikely, it's between Senna and Barrichello (ironically the same as 2008 when Barrichello almost dropped out of F1 too).

Why is Sutil unlikely? Where have you seen this?

Maybe he is waiting for Ferrari

#409 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 17:47

That would be a good reason to wait.
If Kubica can still go he would be the hands down best driver available.

Something just occured me, if they are looking for Kubica, maybe Williams is proposing a contract that can be terminated mid-season no questions asked.
I think Senna is the only one who would accept that gamble.
Sutil surely wouldn't.

#410 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,686 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 18:50

Why is Sutil unlikely? Where have you seen this?

Maybe he is waiting for Ferrari

I hope he isn't holding his breath.

#411 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 19:14

I hope he isn't holding his breath.

Why? Doesn't blue suit him?

#412 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 19:18

With all the cash he earned from Ferrari and Honda over the years, he could quite easily triple that out of his own pocket if he was really so desperate to just drive.

#413 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 19:22

With all the cash he earned from Ferrari and Honda over the years, he could quite easily triple that out of his own pocket if he was really so desperate to just drive.

I don't think so... he is married man (with kids), his wallet ain't his anymore :rotfl:

#414 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 16:14

Interesting...(sub reqd)

http://plus.autospor...r-williams/?v=1

Let's hope they can sort the problems out as they say

#415 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,686 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 19:35

Why? Doesn't blue suit him?

When did Ferrari wear blue?

#416 intothepits

intothepits

• 409 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 22:52

Rubens for the 2012 seat! Yeah, eat it up.

#417 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 660 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 22:55

Fingers crossed :)

#418 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,952 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 23:58

When did Ferrari wear blue?

Well, kind of..... http://www.forix.com...4...amp;p=0&o=1

#419 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,671 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:12

It looks like AT&T is no longer titular sponsor of Williams. Look at official website ---> http://www.williamsf1.com/
The logos of AT&T Williams have now been replaced by logos of Williams F1. You also can't see AT&T logo on the bottom of the website. It's still in "our partners" section, though, opposite to GAC and Sparco, who have disappeared even from there.

Advertisement

#420 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:23

That's sad news if at&t is gone, they have been a great partner since 2007 on the most difficult times for the team.

#421 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 16:18

It looks like AT&T is no longer titular sponsor of Williams. Look at official website ---> http://www.williamsf1.com/
The logos of AT&T Williams have now been replaced by logos of Williams F1. You also can't see AT&T logo on the bottom of the website. It's still in "our partners" section, though, opposite to GAC and Sparco, who have disappeared even from there.

That's too bad, AT&T was a good partner for WF1, now the talk about another sponsor backed driver makes much more sense, but I still hope that QNB backing is possible.

On the bright side, I've never liked the AT&T Williams logo, the pure williams F1 one is much much better.

#422 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,681 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 15:47

Saward on Williams: http://joesaward.wor...quick-catch-up/

#423 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 809 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 17:40

Well, my first post of what I hope will be a better year for Williams.

So hope all you Williams fans had a good New Year and fingers crossed that the car, drivers and team have a better year!

:up:

#424 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 660 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 18:21

They've absolutely got to sign Rubens for 2012. It totally makes sense... especially if they're looking at Bottas for the long term, which I expect to be the case. I know that Bottas is supposed to run lots of Friday practices in 2012. He should do that in place of Maldonado, and Rubens should drive all weekend.

#425 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 791 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:14

Interesting...

“Did you hear how it was that Sam Michael was able to get out of contract early and start working for McLaren at the end of last year?” she said. “Apparently, after he was axed by Williams, he went out to lunch one day and, as luck would have it, went to the same restaurant as Williams chairman Adam Parr, who just happened to be having lunch with Kimi Raikkonen. They found themselves in an “I’ll scratch your back if you scratch mine” situation. Most amusing!”

http://f1mole.wordpress.com/

#426 rentonB

rentonB

• 172 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:19

Bullsh**, hes not ready and wont be ready until 2012 start

#427 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 791 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 14:05

Andrew Benson reporting Barrichello is now the small favourite to be retained for 2012. Also mentions that Patrick Head and Adam Parr didn't get on, hastening Head's departure from F1 duties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...williams_f.html

#428 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,245 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 17:29

AT+T has now disappeared from the partner section too, rather confirming it.

#429 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,333 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 18:26

Don't think so. I'm sure they'd pick a healthy Kubica over their current options if given the opportunity, but there's such a huge question mark over this being a possibility at any time in 2012, not to mention today.

#430 davissi

davissi

• 51 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 19:44

If Frank Williams has any say in it he will choose Bruno Senna, its how his mind works, he has never been conservative like that. Think back to all the drivers he's hired and when.

#431 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,686 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 19:50

If Frank Williams has any say in it he will choose Bruno Senna, its how his mind works, he has never been conservative like that. Think back to all the drivers he's hired and when.

I'm sure FW does have a big say in it, but can't see why he would choose BS over other available drivers.

#432 davissi

davissi

• 51 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 21:57

I'm sure FW does have a big say in it, but can't see why he would choose BS over other available drivers.

I can

#433 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 22:01

I would love to read some explanation then...

#434 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 23:18

I could imagine that some put big ? on Kubica, but that is the gamble. Kubica was great and will be.
If Kubica is not available, I wonder if there is any reason which convinces Williams for not choosing Rubens for one more year deal. After all DC went longer than what men thought and, that Nigel was also a old man, not to mention Damon...

#435 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 791 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 23:30

Frank said something like "we will not give up Rubens' experience lightly" or something only a few months back ... it seems Patrick Head was the one who wanted to get rid of Barrichello

#436 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 23:42

It never really seemed like AT&T were that big on their sponsorship of Williams anyway... Their logo was never that prominent on the car, only in the team logo itself...

If they can find someone else (and it looks like QNB) who is perhaps more willing to put big bucks behind the title sponsorship, and whatever space on the car they want to take as part of that, then great!

Perhaps we'll see a sponsor and driver annoucement at the same time?

#437 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,865 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 23:53

QNB have a blue logo on white background, with red bits. I'm guessing this means another slight spin on the same Williams livery colours we've seen for the past decade?

In a way it's sort of nice they're building a livery tradition, on the other hand I think a radical colors change would help bring some extra life into this increasingly depressing team...

#438 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 23:58

I can

Thanks for that.

#439 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,333 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:55

Frank said something like "we will not give up Rubens' experience lightly" or something only a few months back ... it seems Patrick Head was the one who wanted to get rid of Barrichello

Isn't Patrick Head out of Williams by now?

Advertisement

#440 joora

joora

• 350 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:31

QNB have a blue logo on white background, with red bits. I'm guessing this means another slight spin on the same Williams livery colours we've seen for the past decade?

In a way it's sort of nice they're building a livery tradition, on the other hand I think a radical colors change would help bring some extra life into this increasingly depressing team...

Their logo is also kind of similar to the PDVSA one (both based on a circle split in four)

#441 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,911 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:32

But Parr is still CEO and he seems to favour Senna. Williams look like they will be short on funding. QNB sponsorship is being touted but that does not seem secured. One assumes that the second driver decision will be based on marhetting consideration and NOT sentiment.

#442 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 791 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:24

Isn't Patrick Head out of Williams by now?

Exactly, which has boosted Barrichello's chances of staying.

#443 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,432 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 14:11

Williams tends to run in pre-season testing with a plain blue car, I wouldn't be surprised if the main livery was identical at this rate. :well:

#444 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,911 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 14:27

Exactly, which has boosted Barrichello's chances of staying.

That's pretty tenuous don't you think. Williams on track performace is now mirroring their commercial failings. Its interesting that Williams has still maintained a large organisation despite facing financial difficulty. Diversifying into Hybrid technology and chassi production does not generate large incomes. Its for that reason their driver choice will come down to commercial backing only.
Resigning Barrichello makes no commercial sense and basing his selection on feedback is pointless if they lack funding to implement development. Williams need to have someone with enough backing to aid development. I've no no doubt this years car will be better but it needs to be significantly better for them to be around 5th or 6th place. They won't secure major backing unless the break into the top 4.

Edited by Petroltorque, 04 January 2012 - 15:59.

#445 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 14:38

Autosport reports that Williams "are in advanced negotiations with another telecom company", after the team has confirmed -we all knew already- that they've split with AT&T.
What I find a bit worrying again, is that there's no mention of QNB. Yes, I know they're a banking/financing company, not telecommunications, but it would've natural to make a mention of QNB in that article.
For some time now I've had my doubts about a possible link-up with QNB, and that's why Williams now seem to circle in on the driver which brings the biggest sponsor-package with him. Could well be, as I've mentioned earlier, that QNB lost interest when Raikkonen was no longer available.

Edited by race addicted, 04 January 2012 - 14:40.

#446 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 791 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 15:08

That,s pretty tenuous don't you think. Williams on track performace is now mirroring their commercial failings. Its interesting that Williams has still maintained a large oranisation despite facing financial difficulty. Diversifying into Hybrid technology and chassi production does not generate large incomes. Its for that reason their driver choice will come down to commercial backing only.

Apparently Head was getting tired of Barrichello, whereas others within the organisation favour him. It's understood that Barrichello has managed to secure backing that is so not dissimilar from Senna's.

#447 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,395 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 15:23

It's understood that Barrichello has managed to secure backing that is so not dissimilar from Senna's.

So Barrichello has found $20 million of sponsorship? I doubt that.

#448 Tract1on

Tract1on

• 330 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 15:25

As much as i think Rubens is a lovely bloke i dont see the appeal in having him sign on "for just one more year" where is the benefit for Williams with that...? Williams need to look to the future...
Looking at it on paper i think Sutil is the best choice, but i would like to see Bruno get it.

Apparently Head was getting tired of Barrichello, whereas others within the organisation favour him. It's understood that Barrichello has managed to secure backing that is so not dissimilar from Senna's.

#449 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 16:09

Not too sure if it makes sense, if you get Kubica and caught Medical giants into Williams portfolio this can be a great hit for new generation. The one raise from the edge of health and to beat it with... Should be appealing?

#450 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 16:36

wat