Formula 1 Dampers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 F3000

F3000

• 53 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:57

Hi everyone,

I know that in the past Penske and Koni were the main suppliers of dampers in F1, but who are the main suppliers now? I could only find suppliers for about half of the teams.

Red Bull: Multimatic
McLaren: Koni
Ferrari:
Mercedes GP:
Lotus Renault GP:
Williams F1: Williams
Force India:
Sauber: Sachs
Toro Rosso: Sachs
Team Lotus: Penske and Multimatic
HRT:
Marussia Virgin: Penske

I'm surprised that the teams don't make their own so much, or at least the bigger teams.

Many thanks and best regards.

Advertisement

#2 jpf

jpf

• 627 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 14:04

Some years ago in the mid-2000s when Ferrari were credited with some innovative use of rotary dampers, those were from Sachs. I don't know if that has changed since then.

Oh hey, here's a Racecar Engineering article about the Sachs rotaries: http://dc318.4shared...up/preview.html

#3 F3000

F3000

• 53 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 15:06

Thanks very much for the article jpf, very interesting and still very relevant by the sound of it.

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 15:30

But are McLaern buying a special Koni or handing them a list of requirements, or even a blueprint, and a bag of money to manufacture them?

#5 F3000

F3000

• 53 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 15:56

Good question Ross, I'm sure they're working very closely with each other whatever the case. Without doubt the bag of money is quite large.

The McLaren website states:
"In Formula 1, as Official Supplier to Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, since 2007, KONI will help hone the team’s on-track performance in 2010 with sophisticated frequency selective damping (FSD), which adapts its hydraulics to be stiff for high-speed stability and optimum aerodynamic performance, and soft for the best grip and handling over kerbs."

#6 maxay1

maxay1

• 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 17:23

Good question Ross, I'm sure they're working very closely with each other whatever the case. Without doubt the bag of money is quite large.

The McLaren website states:
"In Formula 1, as Official Supplier to Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, since 2007, KONI will help hone the team’s on-track performance in 2010 with sophisticated frequency selective damping (FSD), which adapts its hydraulics to be stiff for high-speed stability and optimum aerodynamic performance, and soft for the best grip and handling over kerbs."

Last I'd heard, McLaren was using a Koni product for the third spring/damper, Dynamic dampers for the corners.