Photo

HRT 2012 Thread

• Please log in to reply
2071 replies to this topic

#1451 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:09

This is the full article, makes me feel a little better :)

HRT is hoping for a reliable start to their 2012 season in Melbourne this weekend after completing only a handful of pre-season laps with their Cosworth-powered F112. With the design of the new car having only begun in September the team finally lost the battle to get it ready in time for the final pre-season test when it failed an FIA crash test last month.

Speaking to the press in Melbourne on Thursday, Spain's Pedro de la Rosa said the first race would be a glorified test session for the team. With the reliability of the car still a big unknown however, they are not confident of completing significant mileage.

“It's very interesting for all of us. It's a new team but it's also a new car with which I haven't done any running,” began Pedro. “We have to use this first Grand Prix as a big test session, have a lot of patience and enjoy every km we can do tomorrow. We are not expecting to do high mileage. There are many unknowns so we just have to learn as much as possible.

“It's a big unknown how reliable the car will be. We are planning to gradually build up the kilometres. The first few runs will be very short and there will be quite a big delay between them to check the car.”

Although team-mate Karthikeyan's car has been completed and is ready to run tomorrow, Pedro's car is awaiting a number of parts to be flown in but remains confident of running in first practice.

“Narain's car is finished, so that's good for their side. On our side there are still some parts arriving today and the mechanics are working flat out, but it's looking pretty good,” he continued. “If all these parts arrive during today, we will be able to start tomorrow.

“We knew that this was going to be the case coming into the first race. It looks pretty good. Apart from these two or three parts that are missing, the car is fully ready. It looks likely that we will start tomorrow, but we have to be realistic that if there is a delay on the flight we could miss FP1.”

Wind tunnel and CFD data from the F112 already show a dramatic improvement in performance over its predecessor, so much so that de la Rosa is confident of being as quick as major rivals Marussia, subject to reliability.

“We are planning to fight them hard, for sure,” de la Rosa said of Marussia. “I don't know if we will be reliable enough but I think we will be quick enough.”

Advertisement

#1452 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 328 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:37

well, it's a small and new team without lots of money. So what would you expect? It's business as usual. 20 years ago we had small teams who really struggle to make in to the grid. They will fight with what they have. We're somehow biased by the fact we use to spot on big teams and how they operate. Why should we expect them to behave like Force India or Toro Rosso? or even Caterham? Caterham has the money to hire some experience F1 people. HRT does not.

Farewell to HRT!! and keep working

Edited by pikamoku, 15 March 2012 - 08:38.

#1453 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,166 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:40

HRT requests a delay to the scrutineering of Pedro de la Rosa's car

#1454 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,218 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:52

HRT requests a delay to the scrutineering of Pedro de la Rosa's car

Uff!
Fingers crossed they are able to assemble that second car on time.

#1455 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 15:58

with the FIA duly agreeing for it to be examined before 11am.

I read this as meaning the FIA already approved the delay, so as long as they get the car ready by 11AM they should be OK, at least for the check.

Either way, third season in F1 this shouldn't be happening, no matter how low your budget is. If you can't have the cars ready for the first race, then something has got to change.

#1456 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,577 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 16:33

I read this as meaning the FIA already approved the delay, so as long as they get the car ready by 11AM they should be OK, at least for the check.

Either way, third season in F1 this shouldn't be happening, no matter how low your budget is. If you can't have the cars ready for the first race, then something has got to change.

This isn't the same team as before at all, so in this case they have merely fallen prey of the same problems the OLD team encountered last year. What is clear from this incarnation of the team is that they have the money to get by, but their schedule is so tight because of the late start on the project owing to the change in management.

#1457 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,058 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 18:20

As a complete sucker for the underdog however I am glad that HRT have made it to Oz and like the last two seasons I hope they mug the Virgins for 11th place. Good luck to them!

indeed :up:

Go HRT!

#1458 xxiiooiixx

xxiiooiixx

• 100 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 23:33

I agree its getting too much, you can't repeat the same mistakes even if its a new team and new management. These kinds of mistakes/delays can cost the team big sponsors and risk the teams place on the grid.

Maybe it takes small teams much longer to build a car even with the best contractors. I just hope they start the F113 mid year this year and aim to finish a month or 2 earlier. Since the team will be in Spain this brings uncertainty and may further delay the next car, You just don't know and you cant take the risk.

This means there should be some one in the team already thinking about planning, budgeting and resourcing the design of next years car. All I can say is Goodluck to the team and hope to see a good car.

Edited by xxiiooiixx, 15 March 2012 - 23:34.

#1459 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 00:10

Second car has the ok from FIA. Let's see how many laps it does in FP1. Great work by the mechanics :up: :up: :up:

Advertisement

#1460 understeer

understeer

• 204 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 00:51

Its raining now. Good or Bad ?

#1461 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 00:57

Its raining now. Good or Bad ?

Bad, the car need to do most of the testing in these FPs

#1462 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:12

Kravitz said he got info from mechanics they still won't make it and they are short on parts :rolleyes:.

#1463 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:14

Kravitz said he got info from mechanics they still won't make it and they are short on parts :rolleyes:.

Let's see, at least he can drive the car...

#1464 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,943 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:14

Third season and they can't get the cars ready for the 1st race.

I'm all for supporting the underdog but they are bringing the sport into disrepute atm.
a joke team

#1465 understeer

understeer

• 204 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:19

no running for Pedro in FP1. They are still building the car.

#1466 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:21

no running for Pedro in FP1. They are still building the car.

FP2 it is then..

#1467 DevilDare

DevilDare

• 341 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:04

That was quick. :rotfl:

#1468 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:17

Third season and they can't get the cars ready for the 1st race.

I'm all for supporting the underdog but they are bringing the sport into disrepute atm.
a joke team

The race is on Sunday.

#1469 redbroccoli

redbroccoli

• 129 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:28

The race is on Sunday.

Race is on sunday, but the race "weekend" start on Friday.

Regardless, what I don't get is why on earth did they build Karthikeyan's car first?
It turned out it didn't matter as the car broke down after like 4 laps, but it would have been much better to build De La Rosa's car first knowing that some parts will arrive late.
Pedro is much better driver than Karthikeyan anyway in terms of driving talent or car development.
Was it because of TATA money?

#1470 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:25

Race is on sunday, but the race "weekend" start on Friday.

Regardless, what I don't get is why on earth did they build Karthikeyan's car first?
It turned out it didn't matter as the car broke down after like 4 laps, but it would have been much better to build De La Rosa's car first knowing that some parts will arrive late.
Pedro is much better driver than Karthikeyan anyway in terms of driving talent or car development.
Was it because of TATA money?

Tata's money is dependent on his race qualification, hence his car is prepared first. One has to debunk this myth of development driver. A driver tests the car and provides feedback. The feedback is then used to develop the car BY THE DESIGN ENGINEERS.
I don't see them doing much car development apart from installing KERS and producing modern spec front wing.

Edited by Petroltorque, 16 March 2012 - 11:26.

#1471 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:30

Forget about beating Marussia.. Glock has some respectable pace already.

#1472 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:34

Forget about beating Marussia.. Glock has some respectable pace already.

Yes I think HRT's media releases have been, at best, optimistic. Ominously Marussia seem to have some pace "out of the box".

#1473 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:37

Yes I think HRT's media releases have been, at best, optimistic. Ominously Marussia seem to have some pace "out of the box".

Im HRT's biggest supporter on here (probably) there is no way Narain and Pedro are racing on Sunday... unless there is a dramatic improvement.

#1474 Iseriouslyhadenough

Iseriouslyhadenough

• 144 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:55

At least it's an improvement over last year already ;)

Seriously, 2010 and 2011 HRT had a huge bag of luck to grab P11. 2012, that bag would have to be so big to stretch the channel to give them a chance :D

#1475 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:58

At least it's an improvement over last year already ;)

Seriously, 2010 and 2011 HRT had a huge bag of luck to grab P11. 2012, that bag would have to be so big to stretch the channel to give them a chance :D

Maybe but luck plays a part in everything ;)

#1476 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:09

Looking pretty bleak for HRT at the moment. Cant see how they are going to be allowed to race on Sunday.

#1477 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,166 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:51

Looking pretty bleak for HRT at the moment. Cant see how they are going to be allowed to race on Sunday.

I agree, they are going to have to get some serious running in tomorrow to have a chance at qualifying. Even then, it'll be a struggle to be within 107%.

#1478 Iseriouslyhadenough

Iseriouslyhadenough

• 144 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 13:09

I think their only chance is if Marussia is also missing the 107% - if the FIA wants to grant them entry despite not making it, then they would have to accept HRT as well. If HRT are the only ones to fail, then see you in KL :)

#1479 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 14:00

I think their only chance is if Marussia is also missing the 107% - if the FIA wants to grant them entry despite not making it, then they would have to accept HRT as well. If HRT are the only ones to fail, then see you in KL :)

Marussia could gain an exemption off of Glock's competitive laptime today. HRT are nowhere near.

Advertisement

#1480 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 16:21

I think qualification is now a different exercise now that the deficit between the prime and option tyre has been reduced. You can't simply run the option to make up the performance deficit. That deficit has to be made up by the chassis. HRT's chassis still looks unfinished, it looks like its missing barge boards adjacent to the tea tray and that front wing is from Hungary last year.
We all appreciate it that its largely a new outfit, but someone is going to have to get a handle on the situation. Qualifying for Sepang next week won't be any easier.

#1481 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,883 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 17:29

This team is a complete disgrace to the meaning of Formula One. Third season in a row that this team can't get their act together. I'd say it's about time the FIA did something about this. HRT has a complete lack of respect to Formula One, and that alone should be enough to get rid of them.

#1482 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,748 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:40

Oh, like FIA got rid of all the other struggling teams in the history of F1?

#1483 Owen

Owen

• 10,506 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:44

This team is a complete disgrace to the meaning of Formula One. Third season in a row that this team can't get their act together. I'd say it's about time the FIA did something about this. HRT has a complete lack of respect to Formula One, and that alone should be enough to get rid of them.

Just reflecting that Max snubbed teams like Prodrive to ensure these guys could race... Nice legacy.

#1484 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,883 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:47

Oh, like FIA got rid of all the other struggling teams in the history of F1?

No other team had three seasons in a row without having a car ready for the first race. HRT is by far the most pathetic team ever in Formula One.

#1485 stewie

stewie

• 458 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:50

No other team had three seasons in a row without having a car ready for the first race. HRT is by far the most pathetic team ever in Formula One.

You might be right on the first point, but I can think of many teams far more pathetic than HRT over the years - look at all of those teams in the late 80s, early 90s for one.

#1486 Wlleiotl

Wlleiotl

• 906 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:51

HRT will qualify and there will be a lot of humble pie eaten

baffles me how supposed f1 fans can actively root against teams, i cant imagine what you'd have thought of f1 in the 80s and 90s

#1487 Owen

Owen

• 10,506 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:54

baffles me how supposed f1 fans can actively root against teams, i cant imagine what you'd have thought of f1 in the 80s and 90s

Nothing against smaller teams, but this is an experienced team now. And not only that but places in F1 are much sought after and some leading names in motorsport were denied entry so these guys could compete. We have a right to expect more from them. If they prove me wrong, I'll be delighted.

#1488 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,883 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:07

I had a lot of sympathy for Minardi, also a regular backmarker. But at least they had a car to race with. HRT has had a chance for three seasons now and they are exactly at the same spot as in 2010 when they first started. Sorry, but they've had enough time to get their act together.

And yes, I would much rather see big spending teams like Toyota and BMW than these struggling backmarkers like HRT and Marussia.

#1489 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:09

I think it's up to the FIA to figure out a way to make sure the teams arrive with a minimum of preparation. You can't have teams shaking down their cars in free practice. I mean, the term mobile chicane is often used unfairly, but that's what it was..

Make the last day of testing mandatory, make a day of testing mandatory, even if that means missing the first GP, or something..

It's not good for HRT, or F1, to be ridiculed on TV.. seeing the guys struggling to fit the nosecone on the car, grind some carbon fiber off, try again, etc.. everyone would be much better off if they could have shipped all that stuff to Sepang, and have a proper day of testing/shakedown, IMO.

Edited by Slowinfastout, 16 March 2012 - 20:21.

#1490 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:19

Anyone who's posted that HRT are one of the worst teams in F1 have no knowledge of F1 prior to 2000. I suggest you google Life, Forte Corse, Pacific, Andrea Moda......
HRT got their F1 entry courtesy of Campos Meta who had won the F3000 feeder championship and a chassis commissioned by Dallarta an FIA sanctioned constructor. The problem is the present management don't appreciate how competitive F1 is.

#1491 Owen

Owen

• 10,506 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:27

Anyone who's posted that HRT are one of the worst teams in F1 have no knowledge of F1 prior to 2000. I suggest you google Life, Forte Corse, Pacific, Andrea Moda......
HRT got their F1 entry courtesy of Campos Meta who had won the F3000 feeder championship and a chassis commissioned by Dallarta an FIA sanctioned constructor. The problem is the present management don't appreciate how competitive F1 is.

Saying 'it was even worse in the past' sounds like a pretty poor excuse to me. Sorry.

#1492 Ulysses777

Ulysses777

• 64 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:50

First of all, the manufacturers are not coming back. Get over it. When your customers want cars that do 1000 miles on a tank, F1 becomes unfashionable as a marketing tool. Only the supercar manufacturers might be interested, and without a major backer like Fiat, they can't ever afford F1, and they know it.

As for the current teams, it's not about experience, it's about money. If you can't afford as many people, things don't get done as fast. And back in the days of Minardi, you didn't need to have a new car every year, or have it crash-tested before you can even use it.

And they're not stopping anyone else joining, USF1's slot is still open. And who would take their place? Epsilon Euskadi? Gone under. Prodrive? Not without a £40million cap or customer cars.

On the other hand, perhaps Ferrari/Fiat could buy them and resurrect the Maserati and Alfa Romeo teams...

#1493 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,748 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:55

Well, I can't say I think Forti or Pacific was bad efforts. Forti was a bit unlucky. Pacific very unlucky!

However, things was a bit different back then. Pacific had 35 employees... 35!

Edited by Myrvold, 16 March 2012 - 20:56.

#1494 Wlleiotl

Wlleiotl

• 906 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:59

Saying 'it was even worse in the past' sounds like a pretty poor excuse to me. Sorry.

whos making excuses? this type of team is just as much a part of formula one as mclaren and ferrari, teams that do it for the love of the sport and dont care that they're not going to win races or even score a point

the idea that hrt are taking up someones place who would be competing, just laughable

#1495 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 688 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 21:10

I had a lot of sympathy for Minardi, also a regular backmarker. But at least they had a car to race with. HRT has had a chance for three seasons now and they are exactly at the same spot as in 2010 when they first started. Sorry, but they've had enough time to get their act together.

Well, i guess you didn't follow Minardi during their first three seasons. During that period they managed to get a car to the finish a total of 9 times. Talk about pathetic. People tend to praise them, but only because they can only remember the times that Minardi had already established themselves in the sport. And before someone comes here to say "times change" etc, well that's exactly why you shouldn't compare Minardi to the current teams in the first place.

#1496 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 688 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 21:13

the idea that hrt are taking up someones place who would be competing, just laughable

Yeah, i don't see new entrants queueing outside the paddock to take HRT's or Marussia's places. And as long as it stays like this, i have no problem with the backmarker teams.

#1497 Viceroy

Viceroy

• 333 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 22:55

It was a big mistake to get rid of Kolles.

#1498 regracing

regracing

• 25 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 00:40

Yeah, i don't see new entrants queueing outside the paddock to take HRT's or Marussia's places. And as long as it stays like this, i have no problem with the backmarker teams.

Agree

#1499 Siperoth

Siperoth

• 321 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 00:44

Just reflecting that Max snubbed teams like Prodrive to ensure these guys could race... Nice legacy.

Don't make me laugh. Prodrive wouldn't even be running after the budget cap was stopped. at least this guys still manage to keep the shop open. It's so nice claiming others would have been better when they didn't get the chance to show how miserable they would be.

Advertisement

#1500 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,112 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 00:46

It was a big mistake to get rid of Kolles.

a sentence i'd never thought i would have heard said