Photo

Formula F100 Royales

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 17:11

My research has lead me to ask these questions regarding Royale F100 Cars.
How many were made ?
Do any still exist , even if they have been re-engined.?
Does there exist any records of chassis no's that can be put to these cars.?

Royale RP4
I believe that 11 were built . 3 went to Brasil, the rest between the UK and USA.

IN 1970 these were entries in the F100 championship

Les Leston
Motor Racing Stables for Ray Allen
John Calvert
2) Jim Russell cars for Stan Matthews/Brooks Firestone and replacement driver Mike Wilds
John Kennedy for Bob Deverell
Mike Spence Ltd for Vivian Talfourd-Cook
One is alleged to be a rolling chassis used by Firestone for advertising when they sponsored the races

This seems to make up the 11 , if you include the 3 that went to Brasil
So did any go to the US ?

I know of one, possibly 2 that exist in the states. chassis RP4/06

Royale RP 4A , it is said that 3 were built ?
1- FOR John Tait in 1972

Any further knowledge out there?

Edited by petestenning, 19 November 2011 - 17:13.

Advertisement

#2 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 18:52

A bit of info on WSC:

http://www.racingspo...Royale/RP4.html

#3 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 22:02

Pete

"The Story of Royale Racing Cars / Nowhere To Hide" book states that 15 RP4s and RP4As were built - 11 and 4 respectively (in 1970 and 1971).

Ray Allen won the 1970 Tarmac series and Tom Pryce took the 1971 title as I am sure you know already.

Edited by MCS, 19 November 2011 - 22:13.

#4 John Brundage

John Brundage

• 309 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:30

My research has lead me to ask these questions regarding Royale F100 Cars.
How many were made ?
Do any still exist , even if they have been re-engined.?
Does there exist any records of chassis no's that can be put to these cars.?

Royale RP4
I believe that 11 were built . 3 went to Brasil, the rest between the UK and USA.

IN 1970 these were entries in the F100 championship

Les Leston
Motor Racing Stables for Ray Allen
John Calvert
2) Jim Russell cars for Stan Matthews/Brooks Firestone and replacement driver Mike Wilds
John Kennedy for Bob Deverell
Mike Spence Ltd for Vivian Talfourd-Cook
One is alleged to be a rolling chassis used by Firestone for advertising when they sponsored the races

This seems to make up the 11 , if you include the 3 that went to Brasil
So did any go to the US ?

I know of one, possibly 2 that exist in the states. chassis RP4/06

Royale RP 4A , it is said that 3 were built ?
1- FOR John Tait in 1972

Any further knowledge out there?

RP4/ 3 is in the US

#5 andyrp26

andyrp26

• 33 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:34

This is a link to the Royale Registry but this is not totally accurate for some unknown reason.

http://www.royalerac...om/registry.htm

This link is for the RP4 of lead singer of AC/DC Brian Johnson.Which is listed as an RP2! :confused:

http://www.motorspor...lery/?id=978692

#6 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 16:31

This is a link to the Royale Registry but this is not totally accurate for some unknown reason.

Slightly O/T

I have Derek McMahon's FVC-engined Royale listed as an RP9 which is a SuperVee according to the Register - The Register lists it as an RP10?? :confused:

Posted Image
Photo: Copyright Bill Patterson
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#7 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 16:58

Slightly O/T

I have Derek McMahon's FVC-engined Royale listed as an RP9 which is a SuperVee according to the Register - The Register lists it as an RP10?? :confused:

Posted Image
Photo: Copyright Bill Patterson
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think they are right on this one. According to the Royale book "Nowhere to Hide", RP10 chassis 01 was sold new to McMahon. He raced it in Ireland in 1971/72 according to my records.

Where was your picture taken?

#8 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 22:19

I think they are right on this one. According to the Royale book "Nowhere to Hide", RP10 chassis 01 was sold new to McMahon. He raced it in Ireland in 1971/72 according to my records.

Where was your picture taken?

Thank you, Allen - RP10 it is then. :)

Photo taken of Derek McMahon's RP10 at Mondello Park, near Naas, Ireland

Edited by bill p, 21 November 2011 - 16:06.

#9 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 15:21

A chap called Jack Paterson used an RP4 in early S2000 races, 1977-78, without much success. Was there a second RP10 too?

#10 Mark_Silverberg

Mark_Silverberg

• 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:16

I started the Royale Registry from the US in about 1999. It was originally hosted on Vaughn Rockneys vintage garage web site. Most of the information was culled from the web via race results and other public information from 1999 to 2001. I handed the site back to vaughn in about 2003. Most of the ownership information may be quite out of date. The chassis designations are correct in the registry as they came from a 1971 or 1972 Motorsport article and were confirmed in the Royale history book. The folks at Royale USA have taken the information i collected and are using it without attribution - but are certainly free to do so. I would encourage anyone with updated information to contact them.

Getting back to the RP4 - there are at least 3-4 cars running in vintage races in the US - often with Lotus twin cams fitted. The RP4 is a very pretty car is and quite competitive here still as a small sports racer.

#11 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 383 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 13:59

I wonder whether anyone knows if Bob Deverell who competed in 1971 in a Royale RP4 is the same driver as the one who was racing a Lotus Seven with GT hardtop in the mid-sixties?

I am trying to find out more about the Seven and what engine it was running. He seems to have been competing at Brands Hatch at the end of April 1965.

#12 Kale

Kale

• 47 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 17:31

About the Royale RP6 :
From the Royale Book : 9 Cars were build
Two Cars are in Germany ( Ex Hartge Car and Ex Wolfarther Car )
One Car is in Holland ( In Parts - Ex Bonting )
One Car is in Switzerland ( Ex Morrand )
One Car is in U.K ( Offered as a Rolling Chassis )
One Car is in Brazil ( Yellow painted - now with a Pinto Engine )
That´s a total of six cars - Who are the others ?

Chassis RP6/1 is in my Garage ( EX H,G Wolfarther - comes from U.K in 1972/73 )

#13 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,585 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:13

I wonder whether anyone knows if Bob Deverell who competed in 1971 in a Royale RP4 is the same driver as the one who was racing a Lotus Seven with GT hardtop in the mid-sixties?

I am trying to find out more about the Seven and what engine it was running. He seems to have been competing at Brands Hatch at the end of April 1965.

Posted Image

This is the report from Autosport 30th April 1965. The photo shows the car. I have checked other copies that I have but couldn't find any details of the car in these.

#14 BritishV8

BritishV8

• 160 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 17:26

The book "Nowhere to Hide" by Paul Lawrence has been mentioned several times in this thread. Just thought I'd throw-in an "appreciation" for it. In my opinion it's a really fantastic book. If you have even the slightest interest in the topic, you'll enjoy Paul Lawrence's book from cover to cover. He does a far better than average job of noting specific differences from model to model and from year to year. Lots of great photos. Top notch printing and binding. I wish there were more "marque" books this well done.

#15 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 18:36

Sorry, missed the posting, Charles.
Yes it is the same chap.
Roger Lund

#16 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 383 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 15:14

Very many thanks, Steve and Roger. Having established that I think I'll ask my questions about Deverell's Seven on another thread.

Does anyone know whether R.S. (Bob ) Deverell is still around?

#17 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,585 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 15:55

Very many thanks, Steve and Roger. Having established that I think I'll ask my questions about Deverell's Seven on another thread.

With a capacity limit of 1150cc it probably points to being either a Coventry Climax, Ford FJnr spec unit or Austin/BMC unit. If you get anymore details of events he competed in post it on this thread.

:wave:

#18 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 16:00

Very many thanks, Steve and Roger. Having established that I think I'll ask my questions about Deverell's Seven on another thread. Does anyone know whether R.S. (Bob ) Deverell is still around?

Charles, he was a couple of years ago. I have his no. here somewhere, but lots of stuff is in boxes at present. Bear with me.......will PM it when I find it.
ISTR he was running a 1 litre engine as there was a keen 1000cc GT class, qv the little works Diva.
Roger Lund

#19 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 383 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 16:09

Thanks very much, Roger. Your reply has overlapped with my similar question on another thread!

Edited by Charles Helps, 11 May 2012 - 16:09.

Advertisement

#20 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 16:28

The book "Nowhere to Hide" by Paul Lawrence has been mentioned several times in this thread. Just thought I'd throw-in an "appreciation" for it. In my opinion it's a really fantastic book. If you have even the slightest interest in the topic, you'll enjoy Paul Lawrence's book from cover to cover. He does a far better than average job of noting specific differences from model to model and from year to year. Lots of great photos. Top notch printing and binding. I wish there were more "marque" books this well done.

It is a good book, lots of good memories in it from my time as the 'lad' broom operator/gofer/van driver at the Royale workshop in late 70s. The painting on the front cover isn't too bad either :cool: Alan Cornock owns the original.

#21 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 17:16

It is a good book, lots of good memories in it from my time as the 'lad' broom operator/gofer/van driver at the Royale workshop in late 70s. The painting on the front cover isn't too bad either :cool: Alan Cornock owns the original.

It doesn't make enough of the successes Tom Pryce achieved in F3 at the start of the 1972 season (he won the opener at Brands, led the second at Oulton Park from Roger Williamson and then suffered - through no real fault of his own - the leg break at Monaco that ruined his season, thanks to somebody else's incompetence). In 1973 - once the car was reliable - he was able to beat the likes of Colin Vandervell, David Purley, Cyd Williams and others in Formula Atlantic until F2 and beyond beckoned...