Photo

If I only had the patience, and the time!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,209 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 18:21

The skill in this world never fails to amaze!

Advertisement

#2 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 18:46

The skill in this world never fails to amaze!

It amazes me as well, but surely the most remarkable fact was that it took just 1220 hours to make, that's about 8 months if the builder worked a 40 hour week.

#3 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 23:07

It amazes me as well, but surely the most remarkable fact was that it took just 1220 hours to make, that's about 8 months if the builder worked a 40 hour week.

I think this is the same motor my brother saw running at an auto show.

Awesome skill and dedication to build this! :up:

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,139 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 23:49

If I only had the patience, and the time! And the skills!

#5 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,630 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 00:03

:up:

#6 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,011 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 00:43

Absolutely amazing---and yet some jerk made the comment 8 minutes ago that it is a fake because it is running on compressed air!! :rolleyes:

#7 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,737 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:10

Absolutely amazing---and yet some jerk made the comment 8 minutes ago that it is a fake because it is running on compressed air!! :rolleyes:

Apparently said 'jerk's' post has been removed.

#8 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,746 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:24

Cor! I had enough trouble filing a 1" cube. Does anybody know what the accompanying music is?

#9 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 645 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:41

Cor! I had enough trouble filing a 1" cube. Does anybody know what the accompanying music is?

If you scroll down, the music used on the soundtrack is listed.

#10 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,512 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 13:17

Why?

#11 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,209 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 14:31

Why not? If you can't afford the real thing, and your capable of producing something like that, go for it!

#12 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 15:15

Why not? If you can't afford the real thing, and your capable of producing something like that, go for it!

True, but not being able to afford the real thing has nothing to do with it, creating things like this in miniature can be one of the most rewarding experiences known to man, but the appeal is completely lost on many, especially the video game generation. I sail toy boats in my local park, and passers-by often ask questions, the most usual from younger people is "How fast does it go, how much did it cost, and where can I buy one like it?" As the model concerned last time I was asked this was a steam-powered yacht that took almost five years of on and off spare time to build, these questions aren't easy to answer, in this particular case the response would be "Just above walking pace, I couldn't put a price on it, and only by persuading someone like me to build one for you". I apologise for showing off, but here's a photo. The model has a fibreglass hull that I made myself, the deck is scale-size planking, and almost everything else that's visible is made from lime and mahogany wood. I didn't make the steam engine, that was made by a friend, and I doubt if he could put a price on his creations either.

Posted Image

And yes I know, my lawn could do with a trim.

Edited by kayemod, 20 November 2011 - 16:51.

#13 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,209 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 16:03

Very nice, and that cannot be considered showing off.

I understand that scale engineering, as I prefer to call it, isn't always because the real thing is so expensive, but I made the remark as a few friends I have build/collect model cars because as they say, "the chances of anyone having one of each of every Grand Prix Ferrari in real life is unlikely, just less so in model form", and I see their point.

I shall never own a 1959 Gibson Les Paul sunburst, but I'm building a replica, as it's the closest I'll get, but there are many that can't see why I would spend weeks making a new guitar look like it was made in 1959, but it keeps me off the streets!

#14 Gerald Swan

Gerald Swan

• 158 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 16:14

I reckon it would take me at least 2440 hours (given the necessary skills) factoring in the amount of time I would spend on my hands and knees, cursing loudly whilst looking for sundry dropped screws etc.

#15 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 16:53

I reckon it would take me at least 2440 hours (given the necessary skills) factoring in the amount of time I would spend on my hands and knees, cursing loudly whilst looking for sundry dropped screws etc.

Try walking across the room in bare feet, preferably in darkness, that will find anything sharp that you've dropped.

#16 T54

T54

• 2,479 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 17:08

I shall never own a 1959 Gibson Les Paul sunburst, but I'm building a replica,

Beware, the PC brigade might have you arrested for using illegal wood!

Please CLICK HERE and weep.

That V12 is really neat because its technology is very vintage, like a pre-1914 design with a ton of cylinders... a lovely and very artistic project.

#17 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 17:25

Very nice, and that cannot be considered showing off.

Well, I know I really am doing just that, but you're too kind, so here's another one, probably of more interest to many TNFs.

Posted Image

As I said earlier, the reaction of most younger persons is both sad and predictable, but it gets even worse. A recurring theme in the old Blood Pressure thread was "What do they teach them in school these days?", and as we all know, not much of it seems to involve mathematics or useful literary skills. They don't appear to teach much of the principles of physics either, one young onlooker with his father couldn't grasp the concept of steam power, he seemed to be convinced that an electric motor and batteries were hidden inside the boiler. I told them steam was once the only form of motive power there was, and that all of today's nuclear submarines were steam powered as well, and I'm sure they didn't believe me. I've been a modelmaker all my life from about the age of ten, at various times, flying models, slot cars, and latterly mostly boats, it's both rewarding and satisfying if you're that way inclined, but from what I've seen in recent years, largely a pursuit of the over 55s. I went to a major model exhibition recently, and looking around, couldn't see many people under about 60.

#18 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,209 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 17:26

Beware, the PC brigade might have you arrested for using illegal wood!

Please CLICK HERE and weep.

That V12 is really neat because its technology is very vintage, like a pre-1914 design with a ton of cylinders... a lovely and very artistic project.

Posted Image

Based on a very badly neglected and abused 1991 Korean made Epiphone Gold Top, all mahogany, so I think I am safe! After I sprayed it, it looks to "new", so I'm ageing it as we speak!

I totally agree on the V12, the construction reminded me of the 1904 Grand Prix Mercedes I used to work on, with barrels bolted to the block, I notice the builder has a few other engines on Youtube, should you need to waste a few hours !!!

#19 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 127 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 18:07

A lot of younger people never have to build anything with their hands - such a shame and a waste of a form of unofficial mechanics "home-schooling".

I don't count Lego I'm afraid, I'm thinking more of something which used to be a part of most young boys' lives, and used to appear in our school science labs a lot too to help constructing experiments. I'm talking about good old Meccano.

I used to have loads of it in my loft which I wanted to give to my daughter, who is starting university next year to do automotive engineering, but sadly the screw box broke and emptied itself somewhere during the last house move. You can't just buy Meccano screws and bolts any more. The modern Meccano kits are not really much help, they're more "Lego-ized" in that you can build a couple of easy models with them and that's it, but the days of creating something like a differential out of a random pile of nuts, bolts, gears and the like, seem to have been lost. I have many happy memories of just creating something different out of the huge pile of stuff that I got given at various times. I used to construct single-seater cars with working steerings, suspensions and simple gearboxes, as well as the occasional crane, locomotive, etc.

I was not very good at taking the next step, making my own parts, etc and anyway life took me in a different direction but I can empathise with the desire to create smaller mechanical models. I'd far rather see young people doing that - a creative art - than playing computer games where the object seems to be to destroy places / enemies / the world, etc!

Must be getting even older...

Advertisement

#20 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 18:18

There must be an awful lot of modelmakers on TNF, this would be a good thread for them to post pics of their work, don't leave it all to (showing off) me & (showing off) F1Steve. Lets see a few more of you showing off as well, it doesn't have to be a fully working self-machined V-12.

#21 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,011 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 19:46

Posted Image

Based on a very badly neglected and abused 1991 Korean made Epiphone Gold Top, all mahogany, so I think I am safe! After I sprayed it, it looks to "new", so I'm ageing it as we speak!

I totally agree on the V12, the construction reminded me of the 1904 Grand Prix Mercedes I used to work on, with barrels bolted to the block, I notice the builder has a few other engines on Youtube, should you need to waste a few hours !!!

Steve, I have a Korean made copy of a Gibson 335--it is better made than any new Gibson I have seen...

Meccano---Ahhh. I had so much as a kid I could have built us a house! My father was working at Hawkers at Dunsfold and would make me Meccano parts by the dozen--when he wasn't building steam launches. I am not sure how they found time to build the Hunters and Harriers!

A friend has built an exquisite model of a Lakes District steam launch. It even has a bottle of wine on the table with a readable label. I will see if I can post a photo of it.

#22 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,209 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:04

Ah a 335, just what I'd like to do next, just like Bill Nelson's, trouble is there are quite a few abused Les Pauls to be had to do up, but people look after 335s!!!

I learnt a lot about engineering from my Meccano sets, cams, levers, do nuts and bolts up tight enough (!!!) etc but I suppose my kids know much more about PCs and the like, so it could be relative.

Anyone on Facebook should go and look at Emanuele Pirro's page/photo's. He slipped into the conversation once, "I like to make model diaramas of 'planes", and he has put a few pictures on his page, they are superb!!

#23 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,270 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:30

Mention has been made of youth and their lack of engineering appreciation. I am currently building a Lomax 223 (three-wheeler) car and on joining the relevant clubs discovered that I am one of the youngest members, and I'm 65! Youngsters in their 20s and 30s don't seem to have any interest in building things for themselves. My son looks at my car and just says "Why? What's the point?". He just doesn't get it.

#24 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,161 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:42

Mention has been made of youth and their lack of engineering appreciation. I am currently building a Lomax 223 (three-wheeler) car and on joining the relevant clubs discovered that I am one of the youngest members, and I'm 65! Youngsters in their 20s and 30s don't seem to have any interest in building things for themselves. My son looks at my car and just says "Why? What's the point?". He just doesn't get it.

Then I blame you!

Of course, personally I can't put a stick in a turd without breaking both, so who am I to talk. And I haven't reproduced either, so you can probably blame me too.

But back to being serious. The problem is that we (as a society) have 'allowed' the younger ones to pursue their own thing and haven't done things with our kids. Another example I can think of is sports and sparetime acitivities. When I was a kid we could either play football or badminton in the village. So either you got good at one or the other. These days the selection available to the kids are immense. Which means that they don't pursue one thing like we did, instead they shop around. The kids in my household (they came as part of a package with my spouse) have done 15 different things in their spare time ranging from football, swimming, scouts, guitar lessons to self defense and skiing. Good at most, excellent at none. But who am I to judge? As long as that is what make them happy.

#25 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:49

My son looks at my car and just says "Why? What's the point?". He just doesn't get it.

Sadly, it isn't only the young ones who think like that. A recent overheard conversation at the lakeside, two men well over 50 discussing an array of self-built scale sailing boat models.

First TV addicted thickoe. "They're lovely models aren't they, I think they make them themselves".

Second TVAT. "No, they must buy them ready built from China, no-one could make anything as good as that".

Or words to that effect.

#26 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,256 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:28

Personally not for me. But the dedication and workmanship is to be admired.
Besides that the real thing is starting to get too hard to se when assembling so I would never see that!