Photo

'TV' Tommy Ivo's four-engine dragster

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 17:11

Any idea when he first started to race this 4 engine dragster?

Advertisement

#2 TooTall

TooTall

• 336 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 17:41

First mention I find is July 23, 1961 at San Fernando Drag Strip. I used to drive by his shop all the time in the '60s and '70s.

Cheers,
Kurt O.

#3 buckaluck

buckaluck

• 149 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 17:41

It never raced it only was allowed to do exhibition runs solo. Mid to late 60's.

Buck

#4 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 17:43

The Showboat, as it was known, was never raced, as NHRA thought it was too dangerous. Built in 1961, it performed only exhibition runs.

Link

#5 buckaluck

buckaluck

• 149 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 17:56

It never raced it only was allowed to do exhibition runs solo. Mid to late 60's.

Buck

It looks like the first car was in the early 60's but he built one called the wagon master in the mid 60's.
Here is a good link with lots of pictures back in the day.

http://speedhunters....seum-gt-gt.aspx

#6 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 17:59

Here's a neat picture of Ivo and Prudhomme pushing the car.

Link

edit to add I see that this picture is also in the great article Mike has linked to.

Edited by helioseism, 20 November 2011 - 18:01.

#7 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 18:17

It looks like the first car was in the early 60's but he built one called the wagon master in the mid 60's.
Here is a good link with lots of pictures back in the day.

http://speedhunters....seum-gt-gt.aspx

Showboat was turned into Wagonmaster when it was owned by Tom McCourry in 1965.

In 2005 rather than trash Wagonmaster TV Tommy Ivo convinced owners of the America’s Car Collection Museum being planned in Winnemucca, Nevada, who own Wagonmaster, to build a replica of Showboat so that visitors can see both vehicles for the first time side by side in all their splendour.

#8 Big Jim

Big Jim

• 86 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:13

I actually sat in that car when I was about 11 or 12 years old. I was visiting my big sister in Cincinnati, Ohio. Tommy and his four engined dragster were on exhibition at a local Buick dealer. Yeah, I know..big deal. But, at the time it was a big deal for me.

#9 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:25

I actually sat in that car when I was about 11 or 12 years old. I was visiting my big sister in Cincinnati, Ohio. Tommy and his four engined dragster were on exhibition at a local Buick dealer. Yeah, I know..big deal. But, at the time it was a big deal for me.

Sounds like a great new thread cars I have sat in :up:

If I'd sat in Wagonmaster aged 12 I probably would not have slept for a week either :smoking:

#10 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:57

Sounds like a great new thread cars I have sat in :up:

If I'd sat in Wagonmaster aged 12 I probably would not have slept for a week either :smoking:

Cool thread and links, Guys!

Artti, I think that is a great thread idea! Anything that has everyone recollecting our best memories is always awesome... and sometimes in short supply.

#11 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 14:09

Saw the car at the same dealership in Cincinnati. Small world isn't it.

#12 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 402 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 16:23

Saw the car at the same dealership in Cincinnati. Small world isn't it.

And to make it just slightly smaller, I worked (briefly) for a Buick dealer in Cincinnati in 1961 or so. As I recall it was on Gilbert Avenue -- was that the same dealership?