Photo

How to buld a .. supercar - recommended

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 21:13

I have just finished watching the UK BBC2 programme "how to build .... a supercar about the new Mclaren MP12.

I would really recommend it as a chance to see a lot of good detail about its development and manufacture. RonDennis is great as mr control freak but seriously it is very good.

If you can get the BBC Iplayer where you are it should be up by tomorrow I would think

Advertisement

#2 nmbrown

nmbrown

• 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 21:17

It was a great programme - although Ron really didn't come across well!

#3 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 21:39

I enjoyed the part where he got his facts wrong about the MP4-12 stating it had 4 pedals!

#4 RVF400

RVF400

• 50 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 00:47

Cool, thanks for the heads up I will keep an eye out fot it.

#5 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:07

I enjoyed the part where he got his facts wrong about the MP4-12 stating it had 4 pedals!

...and it's not possible that you're wrong?

BTW, you're wrong, not only did the MP4/12 have 4 pedals, it was a moment in F1 technology history (being discovered by a suspecting reporter who stuffed a camera into the cockpit and took a shot of the pedals) and led to it being banned (of course).

Should explain I guess, there was an extra pedal on the left of the clutch that operated either inside rear brake as a steer brake - a switch on the dash was flicked left or right to operate that side only to suit the coming corner. The reporter noticed the inside rear brake glowing mid corner but not the outside and he was smart enough to work out what was going on and got the proof.

Edited by cheapracer, 21 November 2011 - 07:17.

#6 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:31

I know all about brake steer, but the photo clearly shows only 3 pedals!

http://www.farzadsf1...N-3RD-PEDAL.jpg

Now you have a small brake pedal to the left, where the clutch pedal USED to be! normal brake pedal in the middle and the accelarator to the right, only 3 pedals, the clutch was paddle operated on the steering wheel

#7 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:32

And as far as I remember it was actually Darren Heath who took the photo!

#8 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:44

Decent program, nothing new if you have read up on the car but interesting BTS visuals. Some part of the program were weaker than others: I did not like their explanation about the engine (a V8 is basically two four- stroke engines.....bolted together). The engine sound segment was also meh, more so when you recall Mclaren had to make changes after customers and media complained.

The highlight, though, was Ron moaning about the slight shade difference among the different batches of grey floor tiles. :lol:

#9 DaveW

DaveW

• 431 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:19

The highlight, though, was Ron moaning about the slight shade difference among the different batches of grey floor tiles.

Rather than, perhaps, complaining about the workmanship that caused the failure....

#10 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:29

It should have sent shivers down the spines of Ferrari and Porsche. That sort of standard of attention to detail (never a strong point on the products of Maranello anyway) are way beyond their competitors - even the Germans! This was wonderful publicity for McLaren.

Although personally, I think things can be carried too far. Worrying about the colour of the tyres on trolley castors seems to be overly anal to me. The overall antiseptic aura of the factory was a bit of a turn-off, perhaps some pasta or bratwurst stains are worthwhile if they accompany some character and flair?

#11 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:30

Rather than, perhaps, complaining about the workmanship that caused the failure....

Or always keep spares from the original batch, maybe lift an unbroken tile from else where in the room, that's in a less noticeable position

#12 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:36

It should have sent shivers down the spines of Ferrari and Porsche. That sort of standard of attention to detail (never a strong point on the products of Maranello anyway) are way beyond their competitors - even the Germans!

And yet everyone who's driven both chooses the Ferrari ....

I had an Alfetta for 7 years and hated every moment of it yet I totally regretted selling it and I'd buy another one tomorrow I loved it so much, it was just that good to drive. Some cars have immense character and most cars simply don't, apparently that includes the McLaren.

#13 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:39

I know all about brake steer, but the photo clearly shows only 3 pedals!

Well looks like I was wroooogg, wroonn, wrooo... damn, can't say it ...

Although personally, I think things can be carried too far. Worrying about the colour of the tyres on trolley castors seems to be overly anal to me. The overall antiseptic aura of the factory was a bit of a turn-off, perhaps some pasta or bratwurst stains are worthwhile if they accompany some character and flair?

I would think it's a mild form of Asperger's actually, no doubt a key reason to his success.

Edited by cheapracer, 21 November 2011 - 12:43.

#14 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:50

I would think it's a mild form of Asperger's actually, no doubt a key reason to his success.

Very likely, and something he shares with Bernie, I reckon.

But probably nearly everyone at the top end of F1 (drivers included) is a bit odd. And then there was Max....

#15 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 13:17

I agree some of it was , to our eyes, a bit "jack and jill" simplsitic but remember it was on one of the UK's four main terrestial channels at prime time.

I liked the piston forging bit as I have never seen how it is done, nice to see somebody can still actually do that in the UK. I liked the forging operator and how he got in mention of (castrol) GTX as a lube base without the BBC picking up !!

The carbon moulding was very interesting too, shades of the Louts VARI sytem much updated and with prsesure not vacuum. Also I guess it is a development of the original GM process for Corvete bodies

#16 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 13:31

Well looks like I was wroooogg, wroonn, wrooo... damn, can't say it ...

I dont even know the meaning of the word so don't worry!

Tis what I love about f1 these little trick devices and innovations