Photo

Rallying 2012

• Please log in to reply
1337 replies to this topic

Poll: Rallying 2011 (204 member(s) have cast votes)

What did you think of the WRC in 2011?

1. Poor (Must do better) (102 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. OK (72 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Good (20 votes [9.80%])

Percentage of vote: 9.80%

4. Excellent (10 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

Will the WRC in 2012 be:

1. Better (57 votes [27.94%])

Percentage of vote: 27.94%

2. The same (93 votes [45.59%])

Percentage of vote: 45.59%

3. Worse (54 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 21:40

So the 2011 WRC and IRC seasons are done! Mikko has moved to Citroen and begun testing already with the DS3... Ogier will be testing for VW and the rest...well...truly open at this time!

In the coming weeks we will discover if Ford will back M-Sport and rallying, along with who will partner JML in the 2nd works set? My money is on Petter...

Prodrive are continuing discussions with potential sponsors in light of the budget shortfall currently. Their target was to do a full season with the Mini next year, but it is clear there is not quite the budget from BMW/Mini to do this currently and so even the might of David Richards and Prodrive are having to go seek sponsors....

The IRC has added some good events for next year and it seems they will continue with current formula of S2000 for a further year, with discussion of a new 'R4T' class, becoming the main class for the future.

We all know the current status of the WRC and those that run it.... and we all know that the IRC is good...but just lacking that final spark to make it truly great..... but the rally competitor, team boss, fan, marshall and broadcast monkey are all tough beasts...and we shall continue to support, bitch and moan...about a sport we all love!

The 2011 rally thread provided some good areas of discussion, So here is to 2012... the 'off-season' of the next month, could be quite interesting!

Advertisement

#2 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 22:25

Right, let's crack on then.
First, thanks to FOC, artista & kosmic mainly for most of the points in the Rallying 2011 thread. There were other who added very good points, but it did/does seem to be a handful of posters throughout the year.
If I have one wish for 2012, it's that this thread garners more interest - if so, it will mean the sport is making progress - and boy do we need it.

One thing I will admit to, and the reasoning; I can come across as being a little negative - I'm not a negative person, but the state of the sport leaves me feeling that way. However, I honestly try to see the 'bigger picture' - something I'm not sure those in the sport do. I really believe the stakeholders, are in te main, out of touch and have no idea were the sport is going wrong.

The recent RallyGB was a perfect example - all the moaning and groaning over the route, service park, etc What should have alarmed them was the virtual non existent mainstream coverage, compared to 5-10-15 years ago when it received massive coverage. Doesn't it concern them? What about the lack of interest from general Motorsport/car fans.....??

As for 2012 - great to see Ogier at VW, Hirvonen at Citroen - I think it's a good move for Mikko, who I'm hoping will receive a lease of life at a new, well financed team. The BMW-MINI/Prodrive budget issue is indeed worrying - if DR can't get a sponsor, then who can? Similarly Ford - committ fully, or don't bother.

#3 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 22:48

Since its the start of the thread, now would be the time for some predictions perhaps? (they'll be easier to find :) )
WRC Driver:
1. Loeb
2. Latvala
3. Hirvonen
4. Petter
5. Ostberg
6. Neuville
WRC Team: Citroen
SWRC: Ogier
WRC Academy: Fisher

IRC: Mikkelsen

On another note, I see in FOC's post that the IRC is considering adopting the R4T class to replace the s2000's, I hope it doesn't, they'll be awful to watch and the main selling point of the IRC - the 2L n/a spectacle, will be lost

Edited by kosmic33, 08 January 2012 - 17:14.

#4 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 16:35

:clap: Congratulations to Bjorn Waldegard on taking Porsche's first ever win on te East Africa Safari Classic Rally!
Rally drivers are like wine.... they just get better with age!!!

Posted Image

Onto predictions....

I think It's a toss-up between Petter and Mads as to who gets the 2nd seat at Ford, but my gut says that Ford will want Petter in that seat... in which case my predicitions are:

WRC WDC
1: Loeb
2: Hirvonen
3: Latvala
4: Solberg P
5: Meeke
6: Sordo

WRC Manufacturer - Citroen

IRC - Neuville

BRC - Truly do not have a clue!!!!

#5 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 16:46

I`ll expect a better / more interesting season. Based on switches of drivers in teams.

Prediction of mine (not a wish list though);

Loeb
Latvala
Hirvonen

#6 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 18:02

I think It's a toss-up between Petter and Mads as to who gets the 2nd seat at Ford, but my gut says that Ford will want Petter in that seat... in which case my predicitions are:

Just realised I completely forgot about Petter!
Oh well........

Heres hoping M-Sport don't do the same!

#7 nimbus111

nimbus111

• 481 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 18:05

needs better coverage, its very hard to find coverage of these races, i dont do the highlight ****. i heard a rumor that the WRC might start streaming their races on their site, hopefully this is true. im really trying to get into this series.

#8 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 18:14

I'm going to follow the WRC much closer next year. Thank goodness the shakedowns will decide the starting order, no more of this 'sweeping the road' bullshit.

#9 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 18:30

needs better coverage, its very hard to find coverage of these races, i dont do the highlight ****. i heard a rumor that the WRC might start streaming their races on their site, hopefully this is true. im really trying to get into this series.

Actually they did, in some races. And their Rally Radio is better than TV-coverage.

#10 vtpachyderm

vtpachyderm

• 1,112 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 19:28

I honestly thought the season was quite poor. What with Ford team orders keeping Hirvonen still in the game, and with Loeb and Ogier having at it with handbags, I started losing interest.

Next year, with effectively the same machinery setup, don't expect any better - but I hope I'm wrong.

#11 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 20:04

Just realised I completely forgot about Petter!
Oh well........

Heres hoping M-Sport don't do the same!

Yea, but ever since 2000, Malcolm has been swearing up and down that he will never work with Petter again. Malcolm seems like the type who won't back down from holding a grudge.

#12 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 21:40

I'm surprised 8 people actually voted that the WRC will be better in 2012. Ogier out of the championship, Ford potentially pulling the plug and Mini probably unable to contest all the events does not really generate a lot of excitement for me.

Unfortunately things don't really look much better in the IRC, I read some rumours about Peugeot UK maybe leaving which would considerably reduce the Peugeot effort and make the IRC almost look like a Skoda Fabia S2000 cup (since M-Sport have completely disappeared and Proton... well).

But maybe I'm just being too pessimistic.

#13 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 22:20

I don't think this year was so bad, at least this season had a highlight as Mini entered. Hopefully Ford don't pull the plug as it would ruin next season. And, even if Mini wouldn't contest all the events, I'm expecting them to mix the standings in the races they enter. So, I'm expecting a better season.

#14 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 22:33

I agree it does not look good.... the biggest fear right now is this giant FUBAR situation -

Latest news is

Vladimir Antonov, head of the Convers Sports Initiatives organisation that owns the World Rally Championship's commercial rights, is now out on bail after being arrested in London in a probe over alleged asset-stripping of a Lithuanian bank.

International arrest warrants had been issued for Antonov and business partner Raimondas Baranauskas as part of an investigation into events at Snoras Bank, which recently went into administration. Antonov was the bank's majority shareholder.

After Snoras collapsed, CSI issued a statement insisting that it would be "very much business as usual" for all of its activities, including its WRC involvement.

Everyone is saying the same thing in and around the sport..."If ever there was a suitable reason/excuse for Ford to walk away from the WRC....this whole fiasco is it"....

The problem with desperation, is that corners get cut and there is no doubt that the due diligence process that approved the sale of the commercial rights to CSI, was clearly lacking, or rather...ignored for the sake of desperation to sell.

If I was Mr Todt.....I would be making pretty swift announcement that due to the WRC being brought into disrepute by the actions of the head of CSI, the FIA has no choice other than to terminate the commercial rights agreement and all subsequent agreements.

This would do two things.... it would end the failed period of promotion of the championship of the last 6 years, as well as potentially keeping Ford in the championship. Urgent calls could then be made to Eurosport, to see if they could step in as caretaker organisers for two years while a formal bid process is re-established. Eurosport would have to provide extremely cheap highlights shows or coverage to free to air channels as part of the deal, in order to try and reinvigorate the series.

#15 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 22:39

Latest fom Ogier
(Google Translation)

Hi all,

That's it, I am Volkswagen factory driver for three years and I am very happy! I acknowledge that I am also relieved to have put an end to the last weeks of procrastination: I was not worried about my future, but I still head cluttered with this choice between what I proposed Volkswagen and Ford on one side of the other. I thought a lot, but I now think clearly and I am delighted with this new adventure.

I could not but be convinced by the Volkswagen Group, the leading European manufacturer and soon world leader. Their position gives them real credibility and put me at ease. If they commit it to win, and they have the means to their ambitions, which reassured me. I also find it very interesting to build a team from scratch and to support the development of the car. I hope to write a great story with Volkswagen!

The only thing that made me hesitate was the need to agree not to run the WRC in 2012. We still quarrel all the rounds of the championship, at least with the Skoda S2000 and why not with the Polo end of the season: it would be a great reward if we have worked to develop it! This will allow us to Julien and myself but also for the team to gain experience that will prove useful in the future. In addition to this comprehensive program, we have twenty test sessions scheduled in the world and in all fields covered by the world championship. I guarantee you not be idle in 2012!

Last week we had our first contact with the team, in Hanover. It went very well, we were well received. We wanted to show the team we are delighted to integrate their family. Despite the dictionary that has been offered this opportunity, I believe that we should not expect miracles from me in German! Fortunately, the team speaks English well and then Julian has some remains of his schooling, he will need to act as my interpreter the first time.

I soon found Germany for the Race of Champions in Düsseldorf, where I will be driving for the first time a Volkswagen, before giving you visit Paris for the ERDF Kart Masters.

Tchüss!

Seb

Full French version:

Bonjour à tous,

Ca y est, me voilà pilote officiel Volkswagen pour les trois années à venir et j’en suis très heureux ! Je reconnais que je suis également soulagé d’avoir mis un point final à ces dernières semaines de tergiversations : je n’étais pas inquiet pour mon avenir, mais j’avais malgré tout la tête encombrée par ce choix à faire entre ce que me proposaient Volkswagen d’un côté et Ford de l’autre. J’ai beaucoup réfléchi, mais j’ai à présent les idées claires et je suis ravi de cette nouvelle aventure.

Je ne pouvais qu’être convaincu par le groupe Volkswagen, premier constructeur européen et bientôt premier constructeur mondial. Leur position leur confère une véritable crédibilité et m’a mis en confiance. S’ils s’engagent c’est pour gagner, et ils ont les moyens de leurs ambitions, ce qui m’a rassuré. Je trouve aussi très intéressant de monter une équipe de zéro et de prendre en charge le développement de la voiture. J’espère écrire une belle histoire avec Volkswagen !

Le seul point qui m’a fait hésiter, c’était la nécessité d’accepter de ne pas courir en WRC en 2012. Nous disputerons quand même toutes les manches du championnat du monde, au minimum avec la Skoda S2000 et pourquoi pas avec la Polo en fin de saison : ce serait une belle récompense si nous avons bien travaillé pour la développer ! Cela nous permettra, à Julien et moi mais aussi à l’équipe, d’emmagasiner de l’expérience qui s’avérera utile à l’avenir. En plus de ce programme complet, nous avons déjà une vingtaine de séances d’essais planifiées, dans le monde entier et sur tous les terrains parcourus par le championnat du monde. Je vous garantis qu’on ne chômera pas en 2012 !

La semaine dernière nous avons eu notre premier contact avec l’équipe, à Hanovre. Ca s’est très bien passé, nous avons été bien accueillis. Nous avons voulu montrer aux membres de l’équipe que nous sommes ravis d’intégrer leur grande famille. Malgré le dictionnaire qui nous a été offert à cette occasion, je crois qu’il ne faudra pas s’attendre à de miracles de ma part en allemand ! Heureusement que toute l’équipe parle parfaitement bien anglais et puis Julien a quelques restes de sa scolarité, au besoin il pourra me servir d’interprète les premiers temps.

Je retrouve bientôt l’Allemagne pour la Course des Champions, à Düsseldorf, où je piloterai pour la première fois une Volkswagen, avant de vous donner rendez-vous à Paris pour les ERDF Masters Kart.

Tchüss !

Seb

#16 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:19

Unsurprisingly, and predictably – Kimi’s return to F1 has made more news here in the UK than in the whole of his 2 years in the WRC.....Even trending on Twitter......
I wish him well, but I think he could have done better – but did he bring the coverage everybody expected??

#17 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:29

Unsurprisingly, and predictably – Kimi’s return to F1 has made more news here in the UK than in the whole of his 2 years in the WRC.....Even trending on Twitter......
I wish him well, but I think he could have done better – but did he bring the coverage everybody expected??

It truly keeps getting worse for the WRC.... everyone enjoyed trying to get an interview with Kimi and he certainly brought many fans to rallying and now he is gone too! A clean slate is required...and URGENTLY!!!!

I really hope Ford stay and sign Petter, the championship desperately needs it. Apparently Tanak is impressing Ford (read Malcom here) in testing currently and so the chance for a Petter return may be shrinking!

#18 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:37

Well, Kimi brought many media attention, remember the chaos in Sweden in 2010.

Kimi is not media friendly, he has never been, but I also think some things could have been done in a better way from the WRC guys to better use his presence: crashes and mistakes make big headlines and people will click on them, a lot; but it will kill the interest of people sooner (just to give an example).

#19 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 14:13

I think Kimi's and Kubica's rally excursions have brought a bit of media attention to rallying which is good. However, as long as there is no proper promotion and the WRC remains a two-make (okay, now it's three-make!) championship that has even lost a lot of interest among the rallying community, you cannot expect to harvest anything from that.

Kimi did fine imo, I did expect a bit more on the tarmac events though, considering his promising debut in Bulgaria (even though he crashed iirc).

Edited by Turini, 29 November 2011 - 14:14.

Advertisement

#20 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 14:25

The state of WRC is born out by how many times Kimi has to be mentioned, Kimi's gone so it will be in a worse state publicity wise.

#21 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 16:21

FOC may be interested in this:

http://www.guardian....-administration

Seem as though NorthOneSport's owners CSI have hit trouble......

Over to Jean Todt......

#22 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 16:46

FOC may be interested in this:

http://www.guardian....-administration

Seem as though NorthOneSport's owners CSI have hit trouble......

Over to Jean Todt......

Absolutely mate... the FIA 'HAS' to step in, before inconvenient becomes an utter bloody disaster!

EDIT - I am hearing that the FIA may in fact step in tomorrow and announce the cancellation of the CSI commercial rights contract.

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 29 November 2011 - 18:40.

#23 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 18:51

Not sure how I'm supposed to react to all of this. This story definitely tarnishes WRC's image which it can't afford anyway, but if this might get the championship a new promoter this could even turn out to be a great opportunity.

#24 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 18:55

Not sure how I'm supposed to react to all of this. This story definitely tarnishes WRC's image which it can't afford anyway, but if this might get the championship a new promoter this could even turn out to be a great opportunity.

:up: amen.... fingers crossed for tomorrow!

#25 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 19:16

Quite unbelievable this isn't actually considered as a "top story" by Autosport... :rolleyes:

Obviously "Red Bull sure it can still improve" is just way more important.

#26 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 19:21

Could be a blessing in disguise, if that is possible. There's 6 weeks to the Monte, that's not long, especially with the Festive period.....TV deals for next year need sorting.

#27 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 19:23

Quite unbelievable this isn't actually considered as a "top story" by Autosport... :rolleyes:

That is were the WRC is currently......nowhere......A dose of realism for the sport.....for too long it's thought it was something else. Well that's the impression I get.

#28 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 19:29

This time, I think I'm happy that WRC is ignored and no big headlines came out.

#29 FSLIV

FSLIV

• 575 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 19:37

My biggest complaint is that there is no coverage in the States. I think you will be able to find some on Speedtv2 next season but it is limited by cable carrier and is online only. :-(

#30 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 20:14

http://www.wrc.com/n...ment/?fid=15846

#31 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 21:15

http://www.wrc.com/n...ment/?fid=15846

:rotfl:

#32 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:22

That statement from NOS is simply desperate..... but surely this is all some mistake.... surely this 'Vladimir Antonov' is not the same guy Simon Long was so gushing about back on March 3 of this year?

Some real gems I highlighted in BOLD

CSI announcement, Q&A for publication: North One Sport CEO, Simon Long
What does the CSI deal mean for the WRC?
"Security and stability for the promoter, North One Sport, and investment to re-invigorate the sport. It will provide the championship with an all-important boost by accelerating our plans to develop the WRC, leveraging the best elements of the sport's rich history whilst also positioning it for an exciting future as we open it up to new audiences around the world. This new deal will be a catalyst, enabling us to reach our goals far sooner. It's good news for the sport, fans and, critically, partners who can help grow the appeal and viability of the championship."

How much additional investment will CSI bring to North One Sport?
"It's impossible to put a precise figure on this because the investment comes in many different forms; from the knowledge and experience of the CSI management team, the benefits of working as part of a wider group of sporting properties to, of course, extra capital. It's fair to say, however, that this package equates to a multi-million pound investment per year, which is unprecedented in the sport."

What immediate changes will there be?
"Well, there's going to be no shortage of action or momentum. In the short term, we'll be reinforcing the resources and organisation available to North One Sport so that we are fully equipped to achieve our ambitious plans for WRC and the other sports we represent. We'll also be discussing and refining a joint plan with the main WRC stakeholders, notably the FIA, car manufacturers and rally organisers. North One Sport will retain its name for the moment although we expect to transition to a new name and a new office location in London during the coming months. Over the course of the current season you can expect to see a number of new innovations being unveiled. I can't go any detail right now but it's safe to say they will create a huge buzz when they are launched."

How does this deal affect North One Sport's existing relationship with North One Television?
"North One Television has been responsible for producing the World Rally Championship's range of television programming since 2001, when it was awarded the contract by International Sportsworld Communicators (ISC). North One Television subsequently acquired ISC in 2007 - effectively becoming both the commercial rights holder and content provider. North One Television is also the company behind the championship's website wrc.com. The CSI acquisition means that North One Television will return to its previous position as a supplier of television and digital content. Our co-operation will be stronger than ever."

Vladimir Antonov is a Saab rally enthusiast and has an investment stake in the company. Does this deal mean Saab will enter the World Rally Championship?
"Saab has a long association with rallying and it's no secret that we've had discussions with them about a return to the WRC. But while the deal with CSI means we have a common investor in Vladimir Antonov, it does not signal an automatic return for Saab. So for now we'll continue our discussions with Saab, as we are with a number of other manufacturers. It's my belief, however, that it won't be long before other big brands are following MINI's lead and committing to the World Rally Championship to take on Citroen and Ford who have been instrumental in the current success of the series."

And what about the fans? How will they benefit?
"When North One Sport embarked on its 10-year plan to overhaul the WRC the ultimate goal was always to create the best possible entertainment for the fans that remain the lifeblood of our sport. With CSI's investment accelerating that plan - and a close collaboration with the WRC stakeholders, especially the FIA - we're confident that the changes coming the track will result in more manufacturers, more opportunities for drivers, closer competition, better media coverage and a more ambitious and expansive calendar and format for the sport. Watch this space!"

ENDS

Personally....and I know many have questioned my views about Simon Long.... the above is just a snap shot of the type of individual that instead of growing the WRC over 10 years, has instead, made poor decision, after poor decision, burying it to all an time low!! How the guy does not have moral decency to resign...is simply breath taking. Hopefully Jean Todt will do what should have been done years ago....Fire CSI, Fire NOS and start with a clean slate.

Oh... and while NOS is claiming to be a completely independent subsidiary....I hope for their sake, that none of the missing Snoras Bank millions ever found its way into NOS accounts!

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 30 November 2011 - 01:23.

#33 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:56

To say that today has been 'full scramble mode' for those in the Ivory tower...is an understatement!!

#34 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 18:50

Why not let WRC go down? And make it reborn again like in the late 80's, when you just had Lancia running for it.

EDIT: Yes I know, there was quite a few different cars, but only Lancia really put an effort in to it if I remember right from those very old VHS tapes.

Edited by Myrvold, 30 November 2011 - 18:53.

#35 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,787 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 19:08

I'm probabily the only one who thinks Hirvonen will start to retire Loeb. Sebastien is aproaching 40, so inevitably, his speed will fade. I remember Makkinen/kankkunen/sainz/ also lost in the end to younger drivers who weren't exactly more talented, but were younger.

#36 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,180 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 21:21

I'm probabily the only one who thinks Hirvonen will start to retire Loeb. Sebastien is aproaching 40, so inevitably, his speed will fade. I remember Makkinen/kankkunen/sainz/ also lost in the end to younger drivers who weren't exactly more talented, but were younger.

That's an interesting point of view, but I don't think Loeb looks yet like starting to lose his edge, and Hirvonen looked like he was going to raise his game a while back but ultimately seems to have dipped in form instead. All things summed I think Ogier was more likely to retire Loeb than Hirvonen - unless Mikko stays there for long enough to Loeb to lose his edge. But next year already can't see him being that much of a threat.

#37 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 21:27

What a mess for the WRC in the last couple of days! :(

I've been too busy lately and could not pay much attention, but the last few things I have heard about Ford are weird/worrying. Does somebody have news about it?
And, as far as I know, Mini should have already have announced some big sponsor in the last few days, but there is nothing yet :well:

#38 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 21:30

Why not let WRC go down? And make it reborn again like in the late 80's, when you just had Lancia running for it.

EDIT: Yes I know, there was quite a few different cars, but only Lancia really put an effort in to it if I remember right from those very old VHS tapes.

Hmm, interesting you say that. I've been thinking that maybe now is the time for the sport to 'cut your cloth' accordingly. Cut the WRC to say, only 10 rounds for a few years until some stability returns. Concentrate on the best events and take it from there. This isn't F1!! Remember, there is still a recession out there - M-Sport/Mini are having budget issues........

Of course, nothing will happen, there seems to be a feeling that everything is okay with the sport. It's not......

#39 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:49

RAC Rally results and timing for those interested.... some proper pieces of kit here!!!

The Bus driver has still got it!!

http://www.tynecomp....c_11/index.html

Advertisement

#40 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 17:04

RAC Rally results and timing for those interested.... some proper pieces of kit here!!!

Only problem is the front running cars cost over £100,000..... :(

Edited by kosmic33, 03 December 2011 - 17:04.

#41 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 15:29

Speaking of costs....

Cheapracer will like this.... Just been reading up about Murtaya Sports Cars and their very interesting rally project. Endorsed now by the MSA as a cetegory 2 purpose built rally car, it offers clubmen and national competitors a slightly more exotic option and performance, for the fraction of the price of an equivalnt performance rally car.

http://www.murtayasp....uk/design.html

THIS...is more the principle of a regional rally car, not the Fiesta put forward by M-Sport, which appears to be more about providing extra budget for M-Sport, than it does about providing cost effective fun and capable 4WD regional rally cars.

#42 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 17:41

Speaking of costs....

Cheapracer will like this.... Just been reading up about Murtaya Sports Cars and their very interesting rally project. Endorsed now by the MSA as a cetegory 2 purpose built rally car, it offers clubmen and national competitors a slightly more exotic option and performance, for the fraction of the price of an equivalnt performance rally car.

http://www.murtayasp....uk/design.html

THIS...is more the principle of a regional rally car, not the Fiesta put forward by M-Sport, which appears to be more about providing extra budget for M-Sport, than it does about providing cost effective fun and capable 4WD regional rally cars.

And how much does this subaru in a different shell cost?

#43 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 19:12

And how much does this subaru in a different shell cost?

£30,000! Granted many might say...why would you not simply run the Impreza as it is? But the power to weight ration of this little beast, seems to have all the ingredients of a very fun rally car, with a huge amount of relatively cheap spares.

The thing I am most curious about is the MSA's willingness to approve this car which is borderline spaceframe, yet they see big heavy GT cars as much more scary!!

#44 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 19:55

I think its been one of the poorest seasons for a while in particular the second half, due to teams needs both Latvala and Ogier have had to support their teammates especially Latvala who basically had to carry Hirvonen. Also i hate the tactic of slowing down in order to gain a better starting position, rally should be flat out all the way with faster drivers not being punished.

As for next season Loeb's only competition so far will be Latvala i don't believe Hirvonen will be able to challenge him at Citroen especially if team orders need to come into place. So far no Ogier, no Solberg, will M-Sport be there how many rallys will Prodrive take part in, only Citroen with a program in place, not good.

#45 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 20:13

Seems like FiA and North One are not overreacting on this Antonov story :up:

#46 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 21:13

Nah they're just sweeping it under the carpet it seems and pretend like it has zero connection to the WRC... :rolleyes:

Like FOC said earlier, they better hope that none of this disappeared Lithuanian money is ever traced back to NOS...

Edited by Turini, 04 December 2011 - 21:13.

#47 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 21:14

£30,000! Granted many might say...why would you not simply run the Impreza as it is? But the power to weight ration of this little beast, seems to have all the ingredients of a very fun rally car, with a huge amount of relatively cheap spares.

The thing I am most curious about is the MSA's willingness to approve this car which is borderline spaceframe, yet they see big heavy GT cars as much more scary!!

Not to mention andy burtons 306......... :cry:

#48 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 23:55

Makes a pleasant change to see an article in the main UK press on rallying... unfortunately, its for all the wrong reasons.

http://www.thetimes....icle3248962.ece

Kevin hits the nail on the head with

This has been an unhappy decade for world rallying, passed from pillar to post with ownership of the commercial rights moving from Ecclestone, through Richards and on to North One Television

However in reality, the same team has run this series now for 9 years.....

The list of failures by the current management is absolutely staggering, the failed computer game, the failed 'compete against the WRC driver LIVE', the failed coverage following the loss of Inmarsat satellite coverage, the failed clover leaf format, the failed "lets move on from the past its new fans we must attract" without understanding that without the core 'past' rallying dies on its arse...., these along with MANY, MANY failed promises, combined with diabolical poor management decisions which anyone with half a business brain could AND DID, point out was bound to fail, means that the FIA truly has no choice but to take back control of this championship and rebuild from scratch......

And where is David Evans in all this....ahhhhh yes...completely silent.

North One Sport has had its chance, Neil Duncanson has had his time.....Simon Long will not have the common decency to resign and therefore needs to be removed. I am sick to death of watching the very sport I love to death, being run into the ground, by people who 'think' they know what they are doing, when not simply personal opinion, but bloody, failed, miserable track record, proves it is time for North One Sport to be fired from their incompetent job.

It's time for 2012 not to be the end of the world....but for a TRULY new start for the WRC!

#49 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 00:17

What I do wonder is... how could North One get in bed with those CSI guys who quite obviously are some rather shady corporation, and that did not raise any eyebrows back in March when this deal happened... considering North One have 8 years of their contract left, surely the FIA must have asked NOS to provide some kind of guarantee (before they were sold) that those buyers are serious... or not?

On a happier note, MaxRally reports Francois Delecour will return for next year's Monte with a Fiesta WRC! :D

Edited by Turini, 07 December 2011 - 00:18.

#50 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 00:50

Nice. It was awesome seeing how well Delecour did this year. With the state of the rides for next year, who's to bet against him getting another top 5!