Photo

Rallying 2012

• Please log in to reply
1342 replies to this topic

Poll: Rallying 2011 (204 member(s) have cast votes)

What did you think of the WRC in 2011?

1. Poor (Must do better) (102 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. OK (72 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Good (20 votes [9.80%])

Percentage of vote: 9.80%

4. Excellent (10 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

Will the WRC in 2012 be:

1. Better (57 votes [27.94%])

Percentage of vote: 27.94%

2. The same (93 votes [45.59%])

Percentage of vote: 45.59%

3. Worse (54 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 00:55

I am truly not one to stand up for the decisions of NOS, however to be fair to them, you can be extremely thorough with due dilligence and not find anything wrong. If however it comes to light thereafter that there were shady dealings ongoing...then yes, you may have some accountability but that is not the big issue.

The MASSIVE issue, comes from the trace on the Lithuanian millions that 'appear' to have been 'misappropriated'. If the WRC/NOS never received a single payment from Vladimir Antonov/CSI, then there is probably no major issue to the championship....however...should there be ANY link to such funds being paid to or received by NOS/WRC, then irrespective of intent, there would be enormous grounds for bringing the good name and reputation of the championship into disrepute and questions would need to be answered.

Investigations are still ongoing and no-one can make any accusations, but due to the timing of the championship start, I think it is in the interests of the teams and the FIA and more importantly the WRC, to draw a line under this sorry period of WRC history (Mr Loeb's magnificent achievements excluded) and for all commercial and TV rights to be cancelled, with the FIA to taking control before Christmas.

I have no doubt Eurosport could be drafted in last minute to cover the Monte Carlo, while effort is then put in behind scenes to establish a proper interim management team.

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 07 December 2011 - 00:56.

Advertisement

#52 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:15

To be honest i'd rather anyone but Eurosport do the coverage.

Yes I know the live stages on the IRC are great but their actual coverage is sh1t.
Name 1 redeeming feature of the Eurosport coverage other than the fact that sometimes they show live stages?

They have a presenter who still hasnt a clue what a rally car is, `you have to have a sky subsctiption to watch it & their scheduling is atrocious!
Greenlight (and they're not great either) or the BBC would do a far better job but i doubt any of these firms (including Eurosport) will ever be covering the WRC

#53 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:20

Where does one start??

Easy, the weekend and the RAC Rally – a marvellous event, ‘proper Rallying’ as it is meant to be. Even snow thrown into the mix; spectated at Langdale, Ae, Newcastleton & Kershope....
Gwyndaf was in another League, as he should be – I think he’d have won the BRC this year if entered, and ran Cronin close last year. But great drives from lots of guys out there, and quite a few offs as well.
It would be nice of they could get a major Title sponsor, enabling them to lower the entry cost and get the regular Historic cars seen throughout the year.

Now for the WRC/NorthOne/CSI ‘mess’ – or is it shambles??
Personally, I’d thank ISC/ NorthOne for their efforts, and move on....it hasn’t happened – if anything, it’s got worse. The sport just isn’t attracting enough new Manufacturers, sponsors, etc
2011 was supposed to be a ‘new beginning’ for the WRC – Well, was it? Citroen, Ford as normal, Mini with a small programme in readiness for 2012, and rumours of VW and other joining. Mm, well VW will join in 2013, and...er, that’s yer lot!!

I know Eurosport aren’t perfect, but I can’t think of anybody else to do it. And remember, the Monte organisers switched back to the WRC hoping for online Live coverage – what will happen now?
And the Ford decision, Mini short of funds, etc it’s pretty depressing – all made worse by the Sky F1 announcements....the gulf couldn’t be greater.

#54 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 14:58

To be honest i'd rather anyone but Eurosport do the coverage.

Yes I know the live stages on the IRC are great but their actual coverage is sh1t.
Name 1 redeeming feature of the Eurosport coverage other than the fact that sometimes they show live stages?

They have a presenter who still hasnt a clue what a rally car is, `you have to have a sky subsctiption to watch it & their scheduling is atrocious!
Greenlight (and they're not great either) or the BBC would do a far better job but i doubt any of these firms (including Eurosport) will ever be covering the WRC

Yep, I don't disagree, unfortunately I would also have some coverage rather than none for the time being and figured Eurosport is probably one of the few outfits that could get enough hands on deck to replicate what they did last year.

Make 2012 a reconstruction year of all elements, ready for the arrival of VW in 2013 and full assault by Mini and a championship worthy of this investment.

Other than the last of the 'groupies', I dont think there is a single supporting voice of any credibility that can argue against a change and reconstruction of the WRC.

#55 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 15:03

And remember, the Monte organisers switched back to the WRC hoping for online Live coverage – what will happen now?

Me thinks there has been much swearing in French.... how they must wish they had stuck with the IRC for at least one more year!!

This does however look promising...

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96678

I note Mr Evans, did not write this piece...

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 07 December 2011 - 15:14.

#56 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 15:33

Happy the FIA decided to do something. Let's hope whatever they do, it is the right thing.

I'm beginning to get nervous :| . The mess around Antonov, no Ford agreement yet, Mini asking the FIA to soften the rules to enter as manufacturers because they still don't have the budget to do the whole season... I've heard the FIA has extended the deadline for the manufacturers to entry the championship until December 22nd, but I don't know if it's true.

PS. Yep, Pablo Elizalde seems to be multitasking a lot lately.

Edited by artista, 07 December 2011 - 15:33.

#57 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 16:01

I've heard the FIA has extended the deadline for the manufacturers to entry the championship until December 22nd, but I don't know if it's true.

PS. Yep, Pablo Elizalde seems to be multitasking a lot lately.

19th December was the date I heard?

#58 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,745 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 16:18

Nice. It was awesome seeing how well Delecour did this year. With the state of the rides for next year, who's to bet against him getting another top 5!

Well, it was "only" because of a right tyre choice on one stage. Of course that is important in Monte, but he wasn't that fast :)

#59 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 18:06

Well, it was "only" because of a right tyre choice on one stage. Of course that is important in Monte, but he wasn't that fast :)

Only because he was driving an older spec & underpowered car
If you look at the split times from the stages he was losing all his time on the uphill sections and was as quick as anyone going downhill.
He said this himself numerous times during eurosports coverage of the event and it was plain to see on the live coverage.

I dont think he'll win but if the weathers iffy I wouldn't count him out for a good result!

And anyway, rallying isn't just about being fastest over a stage, its about making the right decisions :D

Edited by kosmic33, 07 December 2011 - 18:08.

Advertisement

#60 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 18:17

19th December was the date I heard?

Thanks! :)
It does seem that they have really extended the deadline then.

#61 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:24

According to today's print edition of Autosport, because of the situation (CSI under administration and so on) none of the manufacturers has signed yet for next year, and they don't want to sign anything until somebody (the FIA) clears how things are going to be next season.

#62 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:43

Rightly so....

We truly are at the 12th hour now for the WRC for 2012! The way I see it, there are a number of options on the table:

1: The FIA takes back control of the series, installs an interim management team with no TV rights for the year, allowing events to organise their own coverage for this year, similar to Rally GB and their deal with S4C this year.

2: The series is cancelled in its current format for the year, (other than Monte Carlo, which all the teams are more or less ready for already) the remaining events are all then put into a hat and just 7 other events are selected to form a shortened calendar that relieves the financial burden on Ford and Mini/Prodrive, allows the FIA to truly organise these events in the finest possible manner, while allowing proper time to put all resources in place for 2013.

3: Simply fold the WRC into the IRC for this year, with a new combined 'Super Championship' established for next year.

4: Or...... stick with the current highly successful management team that has brought us to this unenviable position of WRC popularity...........

But whatever the FIA does.... it will need to do within the next 10 days!

#63 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 13:16

The FiA are busy in India with the Gala....;)

If it was up to me, I’d do as you point out, and what I actually suggested previously – run a short season of the best events and take it from there. Monte-Carlo is no problem, like Le Mans, it’s almost bigger than the sport and will continue.

A new broom& new thinking is needed, although NorthOne hace only had the official contract since 2010, ISC have had the filming rights for years, and DR bought ISC off Bernie in 2000, I think. Since then, is it a coincidence the WRC has been on a downward spiral?

#64 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 13:30

A new broom& new thinking is needed, although NorthOne hace only had the official contract since 2010, ISC have had the filming rights for years, and DR bought ISC off Bernie in 2000, I think. Since then, is it a coincidence the WRC has been on a downward spiral?

True, but despite the 'new promoter' that was created in 2010, it has indeed been the same team from ISC heading down the same path...

But you have to remember Arnage.... What do we know about the sport?

#65 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 14:05

I’m no expert, just a fan & spectator – who also follows other sports/Motorsport series...and can see were the sport stands. And all the mistakes that have been made.....
Too much short termism, and not seeing the ‘bigger picture’ have ruined a great series. All it needed were a few tweeks.....but got lobotomised. All for TV......

#66 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,576 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 21:56

So true.

And it's so funny that with WRC the shambles it is, WRC threads are always to the point, while with F1 doing as well as it is, all F1 threads quickly degenerate into food fights.

That's because there's not enough rivalries in the WRC for there to be driver fanboys ruining things!

#67 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 00:21

Can't really add much to what has been posted above, just as Arnage I guess shortening the calendar is, at this point, the smartest and possibly only viable option. Setting up a new promotion package for the WRC 5 weeks before the start of the championship just seems impossible to me.

By the way, has anyone followed what's going on around the Italian WRC round? Apparently the ACI planned to move the event to Sicily next year, but the fact that there has just been a new president appointed at the ACI could mean the WRC event will finally stay in Sardinia...

Also Belgian reports indicate Neuville might do a combined program next year, with Peugeot in IRC as usual and with Al-Attiyah in a Citroen B-team in WRC.

Edited by Turini, 09 December 2011 - 00:33.

#68 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 14:13

Also Belgian reports indicate Neuville might do a combined program next year, with Peugeot in IRC as usual and with Al-Attiyah in a Citroen B-team in WRC.

Yeah to be honest this makes all the sense in the world for Citroen, so that if they do stay, they have started grooming Neuville to take what would have been Ogier's seat.

On other news, the R4T category I was discussing earlier in the thread was formally announced the other day if you didnt see it.

The WMSC also confirmed that, from 2013, R4T rally cars will be eligible for FIA Regional Rally Championships.

The FIA said: "This new category of four-wheel-drive cars is designed to be cost-effective and more affordable for competitors. The acceptance of different category cars within the FIA World and Regional Rally Championships will be confirmed during 2012."

The FIA has asked transmission companies to produce a system for 25,000 euros purchase price to competitors, for these cars. Of course that will depend on manufacturers giving said companies enough pre-orders to make the engineering cost effective enough to reach this target pricing. I do however have the nasty feeling that such cars will go the way of the S2000 cars, which were meant to be 150,000 euro cars, that rapidly went north of that.

In the UK, the MSA is set to approve FIA R-GT cars from January 2013 onwards.... however, they may have to change the engine regulations to allow all engines up to 3.5Litre V6's otherwise they will face without doubt, challenge as to why some rich guy gets to play with a 3.5V6 Supercharged car, whereas other clubmen cannot simply take a normally aspirated 3.4 or 3.5 Litre 6 cyclinder engine car rallying. discussions are however ongoing about this.

The MSA is concerned about bogey times being beaten and they pointed out recently the time it took them to create the current regulations, however this argument has an enormous hole blown in it, when they allow category two type cars like the Murtaya, with 340bhp and 4WD, yet won't currently allow early 2WD heavy GT cars for fear of bogey times being beaten.... MOST odd!... but then again... the MSA has for long time now, gone the same way as NOS in becoming an Ivory Tower, often losing touch with the core base of the sport they represent.

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 09 December 2011 - 18:22.

#69 dionisi

dionisi

• 52 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:59

Novikov, Gassner and Hunt to take part in Mini tests for Red Bull`s rally team, simillar to STR in F-1

Edited by dionisi, 10 December 2011 - 19:44.

#70 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 18:34

Novikov, Gassner and Hunt to take part in Mini tests for Red Bull`s team, simillar to STR

Didn't realise str's drivers were that wealthy.......

#71 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 23:38

Rumour mill is saying that Petter has agreed a deal in principle with M-sport...question is...will it be in full Ford colours!!

#72 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:14

Rumour mill is saying that Petter has agreed a deal in principle with M-sport...question is...will it be in full Ford colours!!

Providing we still have a WRC.....it's all gone quiet....19th Dec is deadline day.

#73 RSmaX

RSmaX

• 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 14:03

If you want to see the factory Ford WRC team next year in the World Rally Championship, here is a online FB petition! http://www.facebook....59136900850976/ Show your support and keep the WRC alive. Thanks :clap:

#74 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 881 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 23:02

Corsa reports Al-Attiyah will race a third works Citröen in WRC next year having secured support from the qatari government. He will skip the race at Montecarlo anyway, because of the proximity between the race and the Dakar.

#75 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:37

MSA has now approved the FIA R-GT category cars to run in the UK. They have also brought this forward a year and will start from January 2012. Further discussions ongoing as to what other GT cars will be permitted.

#76 OSX

OSX

• 4,206 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:27

Petter Solberg will test a Ford Fiesta WRC this week
13 December 2011

"Petter Solberg will test a Ford Fiesta RS WRC for the first time on Thursday with a view to joining the team as its second driver in 2012."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96731

Great news! :up: It would have been a big loss for WRC if Solberg had quit. Solberg and rising star Latvala makes for a formidable driver pairing for Ford.

#77 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 13:25

Absolutely.... :up:

Hopefully Ford confirm backing soon!

In other news, the Mini seems to be picking up customers, with Red Bull and now it appears PG Andersson might be running a Mini WRC on Rally Sweden, which would also be good news.

#78 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 13:27

When will Mikko start to test the DS3?

#79 OSX

OSX

• 4,206 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 13:30

He already has.

Advertisement

#80 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 13:32

He already has.

REALLY? is there any info? I'm curious.

#81 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 13:34

A couple of weeks ago in my home province Posted Image

#82 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 13:36

A couple of weeks ago in my home province Posted Image

You lucky girl! Any photos? Interviews? Times?

#83 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 13:37

REALLY? is there any info? I'm curious.

http://www.youtube.c...nel_video_title
http://www.youtube.c...p;v=3C7WJdFgTXg

:)

#84 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 14:23

Yep..Mikko was quoted as saying there is not much between the Fiesta and the DS3 in the long fast sections, but it is in the slow corners, that the DS3 really has an advantage currently.

However, Petter should be able to bring some experience of the DS3 to M-Sport to help fine tune the Fiesta on the slower stuff.

#85 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 14:49

Don’t like to be a doom monger – however, if & when Ford do committ, what makes them change their policy of providing very little finance? And how is that going to help with the development of the Fiesta?

Yes, we want Ford to continue, but only if it’s a properly funded & committed effort, rather than the half-@r5ed effort we’ve come to know.

#86 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 22:10

Yep..Mikko was quoted as saying there is not much between the Fiesta and the DS3 in the long fast sections, but it is in the slow corners, that the DS3 really has an advantage currently.

However, Petter should be able to bring some experience of the DS3 to M-Sport to help fine tune the Fiesta on the slower stuff.

Pity petter's only experience of a DS3 is of the original version of the car. He didn't even get the 2nd evolution gravel dampers never mind the 3rd......

Surprised mikko was allowed to comment on his test, even if he was rather vague

#87 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 18:26

So will we see the FIA taking back control of the WRC?...... All should become clear very soon!

#88 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 18:38

So will we see the FIA taking back control of the WRC?...... All should become clear very soon!

Will they be any better?
In saying that its not like i've a better suggestion!

Suppose Michelle Mouton could do a good job?

#89 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 20:58

Well...yeah, I don't think she could do much worse to be fair and Sorry Kosmic....but this next bit is going to be long!!

I just finished reading last weeks Autosport Group B special which was great... what I found truly pathetic however is the continued 'Fanboyism' of David Evans toward North One Sport. North One don't need a PR director...they have David! His side-bar is possibly one of the most 'out-of-touch' pieces I have read from him all year.

When practically the entire sport of rallying and all within it, are calling for an end to this 10 Years of ISC/North One Sport excercise in failure... I will put forward some answers/motions that I have observed from others, as well as my own opinion:

David Evans - Rallies Editor - December 8th 2011

where's that foot? There it is. take aim. Fire! Bang. Both Barrels. Both Feet. When will the World Rally Championship get it right? The calendar was coming, the manufacturers were returning, the rallies were getting it right. And then the Russian was arrested, just days after promising millions and millions more.

It's not the World Championship that needs to get it right...its North One Sport David. The WRC is not an entity in it's own right but there are people who run it and those people are NOS employees, therefore when looking for the people that must be brought to task over this farce, it is they, who you must ask the question.

As to the next part... :confused: We have one of the TWO main manufacturers teetering on the point of leaving the WRC (Ford), one new 'manufacturer' (Mini) that is so much a manufacturer, that despite having its best sales figures in November and Mini sales up 14% on the previous year, this new 'manufacturer' is not in fact giving the full budget required by Prodrive to compete, resulting in them having to seek a title sponsor elsewhere in order to carry on......combined with a manufacturer that actually wont arrive until 2013, by which time we may have lost two manufacturers leaving us once again with TWO!..... Is this REALLY manufacturers coming back?? #stretch

Then...the slap in the face to rally organisers the world over.... "the rallies were getting it right" er Hello?????? The rallies always had it right, it was not until they were instructed by Jerry Cottles Circus...to try clover leaf rally formats and daylight only rallying, that events lost their character. It was the RALLIES, like the Monte, who basically said 'Screw this..lets go back to what fans want'...so the rallies were never the ones that got it wrong...it was North One Sport!!!!

The sport is now faced with a major problem. The WRC is on the brink of being brilliant again. Everything is in place. Except those millions. But what do we do? Do we castigate them for the current plight or do we back them to get us out of this mess. What alternative do we have? Have I missed the queue of investment firms lining up the WRC and asking where to put their money? No. They're not there. We have have to get behind North One Sport.

:blush:

Where to start...The 'sport' of rallying, will carry on regardless, while popularity of the WRC has been made out by many to be the be all and end all of 'the sport' it is in fact just the pinnacle. The only ones facing a justly deserved crisis right now is NOS. As to everything being brilliant again??? SERIOUSLY what bubble do you live in??? step out of the bubble for a moment and look at every internet forum, media outlet, Twitter, Websites, Youtube, the world over... there hundreds of thousdands if not millions of people stating that they have either stopped watching the WRC or cannot bring themselves to watch..EVEN IF THEY COULD FIND A BROADCAST!! It is far from brilliant...it is in one of the worst depressions of it's entire history. That's not just my view...you are massively outnumbered with voices of discontent versus those of support.

Yes we do castigate NOS from this mess, as they bloody made it! The list of failures of this management group is breath taking; 'New LIVE Rally coverage with fancy graphics overlaying cars on stages' made only possible by subsidised satellite time with sponsorship by Inmarsat! So having changed rallies to suit this new format of rallying and coverage...BOOM! Inmarsat ends its sponsorship and NO ONE stepped forward to pick up the tab of those satellite bills to enable that coverage. Begin the freefall here...........

Then there is the daylight only rallying, the computer game (because that's where the real audience is apparently), the famous 'we only need four manufacturers' statement, the loss of Free to air TV coverage... the total collapse of printed coverage around the world (Mr Evans excluded). Then the sub-championships, J-WRC, S-WRC, P-WRC....every single one dwindling in numbers....allowing the two main manufacturers to dictate the switch to 1600cc Turbo's wayyy too soon with too many electronics, when 90% of the sport were saying that S2000 followed by a well thought out, well funded NEW WRC for 1600T's in 2013.... the list of failures could go on..... In short... the sport's promoters have not had a single clue what the hell they are doing and have not done so since they took over as ISC and tried to cover their failings with a 'new brand' 'North One Sport'.

Then there is the 'investment' question.... having worked in and around the investment community, let me educate you to a little thing that the 'Investor' is looking for..... "IRR" - Internal Rate of Return!! What exactly is the 'Investor' going to get a return on? and what prcentage will that be???? The reason there are no investors lining up...is the fact that there is the princely sum of 'ZERO' rate of return currently with the WRC!! The management entity has become a cost eating bohemoth...that requires a HUGE global audience, via enormous television numbers, in order to have a 'VALUE' that the investor can quantify in order to determine if they they can reach their intended IRR. In short....that simply is not there!!...If someone is then offering to give you MILLIONS in this current championship climate, alarm bells must surely be ringing???....

Newsflash (in-case you were not sure)..... the championship is at an all-time low, the television coverage is pitifull (not the presenters, they can only work with what they have), the printed media coverage is almost non-existent and 'New-Media' coverage, is getting slammed by people all commenting that rallying is not what it used to be, etc etc. HOW THE HELL..do you expect to find an Investor, when the promoter has created the mother of all 'swine-procreations' to leave the series with such an incredibly poor value? And you honestly want to say that the WRC is at the point of being brilliant again David??? Please.....

At the same time, the FIA must surely shoulder some responsibility here. It took a long time to rubber-stamping this deal with Antonov and his firm Convers Sports Initiatives and put plenty of diligence into its due diligence, yet here we are

Here we are indeed.... It is very simple to understand why the due-diligence took so long....because there were many that were not 100% about this deal within the FIA. Let's not GLOSS OVER THE FACT David, that it was North One Sport that presented this group to the FIA, it was NOS that proposed this new investor.....why??? Because NOS had run out of cash and ideas and was having to revert to former formats of rallying with the faintest of apology... It was NOS that could find no other financial partner and in desperate bid to keep their Ivory Tower from crumbling..threw what was always going to be a questionable deal onto the table.... So what choice did the FIA have? other than to do what they could to check all the details and reluctantly, agree to the deal.... And while Simon Long was personally stating how great this deal was and giving his full endorsement... what the FIA SHOULD have done..is said..."On your head be it...."

So David Evans...your column is headed "AUTOSPORT SAYS".... it is long past time, that you take off the rose tinted spectacles and admit that the last 10 years of WRC promotion have been an un-mitigated disaster area..

You asked what do we do? Here's what we do....all commercial rights are cancelled and all TV agreements made null and void! The rights to the championship get taken back in-house within the FIA and managed by people that actually have some experience in this sport, taking 2012 and slashing the calendar to just a handful of high quality events, based in Europe if need be, to keep costs down, while a proper tender is created for a new promoter to take over from 2013!

Enough of the fanboyism.... formers drivers are calling for NOS to go, Photographers, Commentators, Ex-Champions, Organisers...the list is enormous, ALL calling for a radical change from the FIA and quickly.... North One Sport has had it's time, it is time for a new restructuring year..to make 2013 a PROPER return to what Rallying should be all about!

#90 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 21:15

Enough of the fanboyism.... formers drivers are calling for NOS to go, Photographers, Commentators, Ex-Champions, Organisers...the list is enormous, ALL calling for a radical change from the FIA and quickly.... North One Sport has had it's time, it is time for a new restructuring year..to make 2013 a PROPER return to what Rallying should be all about!

LOL what a rant but from current FiA proceedings at least they don't seem to be quite so hysterical. :lol:

The contract with North One Sport is for many more years, few realistic alternatives are available so I'd not be surprised as things stay with NOS.

#91 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 21:23

Can't disagree with any of that.

A few thoughts: While the WRC has disappeared from view in UK, does anybody know what the rest of Europe & the World is like? In how many countries is Rallying a Top5 sport - apart from Finland......

Reason I ask, because quite often I/we can be UK centric basing out reasoning on the state of the sport purely on the UK, but I'm not convinced everything is so much better elsewhere. If it was, surely sponsors from those countries would be involved in the sport.

I've thought for quite a long time that the people involved in the WRC do live in a bubble, and have no idea were the sport is in the grand scheme of things. Take RallyGB - most fans thought it was a good event, and a step in the right direction, but unsurprisingly, the Teams 'rubbished' it........IMS called it a success. What is success??
All they had to do was look at the column inches in the National media - and hear non of the coverage on National radio......

Personally, and I've said before - at the end of the 90's the sport needed minor tweeks - instead it got butchered....and people thought it could become 'F1 on Gravel'. Whilst having ambition for a sport is admirable - the stakeholders completely misread the situation - the WRC could/should have stayed at the top of 2nd tier sports - but they thought they knew better and tried to make it into a Top tier sport - all in a short space of time. And what we have now is probably a 3rd tier sport - with all kinds of problems.

#92 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 22:22

LOL what a rant but from current FiA proceedings at least they don't seem to be quite so hysterical. :lol:

Yep apologies for that... :D

#93 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 13:18

Ford has just confirmed that it is to continue in the WRC for another 2 years and that Petter Solberg will partner JML next year..

GREAT NEWS! :up:

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 15 December 2011 - 13:18.

#94 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,390 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 13:53

Yes! Yes! :D

#95 rpm2000

rpm2000

• 32 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 13:58

Good news about Ford and Solberg. If Ford had gone then I am not sure if it would have been worth keeping the WRC going. It upsets me to see how the sport has been ruined over the last ten years. Ten years ago chanel 4 belived that the WRC was so good that they showed highlights every night in prime time and the WRC was in all of the papers. Now it's not even on FTA TV and never in the papers. Amongst the general public the WRC has died. Lets get it back on FTA even if it means selling the coverage more cheaply. If we then drop gimcks like live stages and return to traditional long events with night stages and mixed surfaces the intrest will come back. I doubt if it will happen as to many people live in a fantasy bubble but I can dream. :cry:

#96 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 14:42

It is good news, but I’m not getting carried away yet. Ford put the least amount of finance into their WRC effort compared to the other teams – which explains the dearth of Championship wins. Why is anything going to change??

#97 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,745 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 15:27

And does this confirm at least one manufacturer actually signed up?

#98 OSX

OSX

• 4,206 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 15:38

Ford has just confirmed that it is to continue in the WRC for another 2 years and that Petter Solberg will partner JML next year..

GREAT NEWS! :up:

Indeed! :up:

#99 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 21:39

Well considering this is big news, hardly much interest; However, all we need now is that NorthOne have been chucked as Promoters and it will be good news all round.

http://www.autocar.c...-from-ford.aspx

http://www.guardian....ort/motorsports

Advertisement

#100 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 22:34

It is good news, but I’m not getting carried away yet. Ford put the least amount of finance into their WRC effort compared to the other teams – which explains the dearth of Championship wins. Why is anything going to change??

Is it really to be considered as big news that a manufacturer confirms its commitment to the WRC for just 2 more years? That sort of tells already something about the state of the sport, don't you think? Because for me big news would have been if they would have announced their withdrawal or a long-term commitment for something like 5 or more years...

But indeed it's good news, provided M-Sport/Ford will have sufficient resources to improve the Fiesta, it should be an exciting season actually. However this NOS issue needs to be resolved ASAP, in fact I'm stunned it hasn't been already.