Photo

Rallying 2012

• Please log in to reply
1342 replies to this topic

Poll: Rallying 2011 (204 member(s) have cast votes)

What did you think of the WRC in 2011?

1. Poor (Must do better) (102 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. OK (72 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Good (20 votes [9.80%])

Percentage of vote: 9.80%

4. Excellent (10 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

Will the WRC in 2012 be:

1. Better (57 votes [27.94%])

Percentage of vote: 27.94%

2. The same (93 votes [45.59%])

Percentage of vote: 45.59%

3. Worse (54 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 23:21

We can only hope......

Edited by kosmic33, 15 December 2011 - 23:24.

Advertisement

#102 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:27

http://www.ts.fi/moo...nit/289434.html

Commerical purgatory

Turun Sanomat 15.12.2011 22:48:08

One purgatory in WRC was put off now that the captain of M-Sport and Europe's Ford, Malcolm Wilson, reached a two-year contract to continue as a factory team.

Financial times are most difficult for these kinds of negotiations. Wilson was looking for a 4-year contract but now he has to go with a commitment that ensures years 2012-13.

The short contract means that M-Sport's pressure to show are catalyzed. They have to get success right away and not somewhere during the end of season 2013 in order to get the mother company Ford to invest in rally longer than now.

Jari-Matti Latvala is in the same position in Ford as his main rival Sebastien Loeb is at Citroen. Ford and it's private teams will put all they have on Latvala's championship battle.

Petter Solberg became Latvala's team mate but he still has to fund his own driving by taking his private team's sponsors to M-Sport.

WRC-serie begins 17th January in Valence with Rally Monte Carlo. In a way the teams aren't in such a big hurry to sign up since they don't even know who controls the tv-rights.

North One Sport is the main promotor of WRC and it controls the tv-rights. The former owner, Russian businessman Vladimir Antonov, is however out of the game due to his bankruptcies and financial obscurities.

The attempts to find a new investor at this stage look desperate.

In rally circles they predict that if forced, then FIA and WRC-commission's chair man Jarmo Mahonen would control the commercial rights at least into summer until they find a new capable owner for North One Sport.

They are desperately looking for a buyer candidate all the time but it looks certain that at least Monte Carlo will be held without the serie's main promotor.

Naturally the racing teams are very worried about the chaotic commercial situation.

Turun Sanomat

HEIKKI KULTA

Edited by Wolfie, 02 April 2012 - 11:02.

#103 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:51

Thanks Wolfie for the above article.. interesting that Petter is having to throw his own sponsors into the mix!!! Proves that Ford are once again putting in the bare minimum.

As to this...

In rally circles they predict that if forced, then FIA and WRC-commission's chair man Jarmo Mahonen would control the commercial rights at least into summer until they find a new capable owner for North One Sport.

With all the teams complaining at the dire commercial state of the WRC...why on earth, would the FIA want a new buyer for NOS? They need to completely get rid of that entire management team, otherwise the stench of rot and decay will remain, irrespective of new owner!

#104 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:09

So if it’s true that Ford are putting in the bare minimum – then they really don’t deserve to win – and nothing is likely to change. I did chuckle yesterday at comments on some websites/ forums about Ford re-signing for 2 more years.....

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96765

Really, the evidence doesn’t support the claim.

As for NorthOne - time to move over....give somebody else the opportunity to Promote.

#105 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:14

With all the teams complaining at the dire commercial state of the WRC...why on earth, would the FIA want a new buyer for NOS? They need to completely get rid of that entire management team, otherwise the stench of rot and decay will remain, irrespective of new owner!

FiA obviously believes in North One and they have a long term contract with them, all that has changed is that the financial backing behind NOS has gone into administration.
Find a new owner/investor and the plans FiA and NOS made can continue, heck I was told FiA folk were in London and talking to NOS and Antonov when he was arrested last month.

#106 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:37

http://www.ts.fi/moo...lli/289440.html

A WRC-serie with nine rallies was also on the table

Turun Sanomat 15.12.2011 23:06:38

The financial distress has a substancial effect also on the WRC-serie. Not even the factory teams' funding seems to be enough for the current schedule.

According to information Turun Sanomat has, both David Richards from Mini as Malcolm Wilson from Ford presented to FIA that the WRC-serie should be minimized to only nine rallies due to the lack of budget.

However FIA confirmed in their meeting in New Delhi that season 2012 would include 13 rallies.

Turun Sanomat

HEIKKI KULTA

Edited by Wolfie, 02 April 2012 - 11:02.

#107 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:54

FiA obviously believes in North One and they have a long term contract with them, all that has changed is that the financial backing behind NOS has gone into administration.
Find a new owner/investor and the plans FiA and NOS made can continue, heck I was told FiA folk were in London and talking to NOS and Antonov when he was arrested last month.

That is a stretch at best.... 'Believes in them?' no...trust me...not a single fool on this planet 'believes' the NOS BS anymore, unless of course they recive a paycheck/favours from the company. The bigger issue is that the FIA is between a rock and a hard place and it may not have any option but to continue to let those that have destroyed the championship in 10 years to continue....for now.

As to the contract... I would be absolutely staggered if there was not a performance clause in the contract, or some form of get-out clause if the good name of the champonship was brought into disrepute. There is not a single lawyer that could defend a disrepute case, in light of the question mark over misappropriated funds and the NOS statements of glowing support for Mr Antonov when the deal was done. The reputation of the championship is in utter bits right now.... defend that?... I don't think so.

It's all very well NOS back peddling now and claiming to be a seperate entity and trying to distance themselves from CSI.... but there is an old saying....

"if you sup with the devil...you need a long spoon"

#108 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:56

FlatOverCrest, it came as a minor shock to me that Petter has to take the driver #2 seat, I had to re-read the article many times until it went through :lol:

Still I'm very sad that he is put into that position. What do you think, will it be easy for Petter? And what if Petter outscores Jari-Matti? They call Ford Malcolm's kitchen in the Finnish forum when they fail in making up strategies :blush:

Heikki Kulta also wrote this article yesterday:

Quite a good vid for you Wolfie..

It's interesting also that both Dave Richards and Malcolm Wilson are now reported to be requesting a solution that several on this forum have proposed, in reducing the number of rounds in this years championship.

#109 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:09

That is a stretch at best.... 'Believes in them?' no...trust me...not a single fool on this planet 'believes' the NOS BS anymore, unless of course they recive a paycheck/favours from the company. The bigger issue is that the FIA is between a rock and a hard place and it may not have any option but to continue to let those that have destroyed the championship in 10 years to continue....for now.

Yes it could be a lack of better options too.

As to the contract... I would be absolutely staggered if there was not a performance clause in the contract, or some form of get-out clause if the good name of the champonship was brought into disrepute. There is not a single lawyer that could defend a disrepute case, in light of the question mark over misappropriated funds and the NOS statements of glowing support for Mr Antonov when the deal was done. The reputation of the championship is in utter bits right now.... defend that?... I don't think so.

If you're so sure the contract can be terminated due to poor performance or disreputing WRC then why doesn't FiA?
Lack of better alternatives?

It's all very well NOS back peddling now and claiming to be a seperate entity and trying to distance themselves from CSI.... but there is an old saying....

"if you sup with the devil...you need a long spoon"

It's the only option in this situation, distance yourself from the entity in administration and move onwards.

Like the saying though :up:

#110 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:30

Indeed, I wouldn't be so sure that there is a performance clause in the NOS contract either, remember that at the time this deal was put together it was still Mosley heading the FIA...

However the pressure of the manufacturers and the FIA on NOS has grown in the last months, and if this isn't the last straw that breaks the camel's back then I don't know what is.

Edited by Turini, 16 December 2011 - 12:31.

#111 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:37

If you're so sure the contract can be terminated due to poor performance or disreputing WRC then why doesn't FiA?
Lack of better alternatives?

Whose to say they are not going to? There are many, MANY meetings ongoing currently, that much I know. NOS and the management team thereof, are fighting for their lives.

Now to be fair... there are many people who deal with the day to day tasks of the WRC that do a very good job, no one can deny the groundtroops that. The issue is the management. As we all know, Simon Long is never going to do the morally responsible thing and quit, so the FIA may force NOS to make management changes, enabling the company to carry on as the promoter.

A company is only as strong as its leadership and unfortunately, this current leadership has simply failed in their duties. This is not a personal opinion, it is simply proven fact, the championship is absolutely on it's arse right now.... and unfortunately we now live in a society where it's always 'someone else's fault'... In days gone by, if you did a crappy job you were fired...end of.

If somehow, through all of this, Mr Long manages to deperately hang on to power, it will reflect extremely poorly on the FIA and from the conversations I have had, it truly would be the last resort option, as the majority recognise his tenure as the sport's 'front man', as being a complete failure. He may be a nice guy to meet and chat to, but the WRC needs a figurehead that can lead it into a successful new era...and that means a change is required at the top at the very least.

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 16 December 2011 - 12:42.

#112 EightGear

EightGear

• 415 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 13:04

Great news about Ford and Solberg! :up:

There are rumours about Neuville, who most likely will be doing a 10-round WRC campaign in a DS3.

Kopecky and Hanninen are confirmed at Skoda for the 2012 IRC. Only yesterday Autosport was reporting Kevin Abbring would replace Kopecky.... :well:

#113 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 13:26

Whose to say they are not going to? There are many, MANY meetings ongoing currently, that much I know. NOS and the management team thereof, are fighting for their lives.

Now to be fair... there are many people who deal with the day to day tasks of the WRC that do a very good job, no one can deny the groundtroops that. The issue is the management. As we all know, Simon Long is never going to do the morally responsible thing and quit, so the FIA may force NOS to make management changes, enabling the company to carry on as the promoter.

A company is only as strong as its leadership and unfortunately, this current leadership has simply failed in their duties. This is not a personal opinion, it is simply proven fact, the championship is absolutely on it's arse right now.... and unfortunately we now live in a society where it's always 'someone else's fault'... In days gone by, if you did a crappy job you were fired...end of.

If somehow, through all of this, Mr Long manages to deperately hang on to power, it will reflect extremely poorly on the FIA and from the conversations I have had, it truly would be the last resort option, as the majority recognise his tenure as the sport's 'front man', as being a complete failure. He may be a nice guy to meet and chat to, but the WRC needs a figurehead that can lead it into a successful new era...and that means a change is required at the top at the very least.

So it all goes back to "I hate Simon Long" and if FiA doesn't terminate NOS then I hope he'll be forced out.

rather predictable :lol:

#114 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 379 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 13:04

So Skoda are keeping Hanninen in IRC instead of SWRC? Maybe they don't want any direct comparisons with Ogier in the same car on the same rallies?

#115 rpm2000

rpm2000

• 32 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 15:39

Great news about Solberg. At last he has a decent drive as its been sad to see his talents go to waste over the last few years. I would be very pleased to see him win the championship next year and belive that he can do it as long as Ford do not cut back and give him a poor car. Bring on 2012 :)

Edited by rpm2000, 17 December 2011 - 17:47.

#116 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:55

So it all goes back to "I hate Simon Long" and if FiA doesn't terminate NOS then I hope he'll be forced out.

rather predictable :lol:

This constant attempt to try and make this matter personal is juvenile and tiresome.... if you bother to read again, I VERY CLEARLY said that while simon may be a nice guy, as the head of the promoter he has failed in his repsonsibilities, therefore he has to go. Tell me which responsible business (and yes the WRC is a business) allows the CEO who has failed in performance and his duties so badly, gets to keep his job?

I personally have absolutely no 'dislike' for the guy as I have said, time and TIME again, but as head of the WRC he has failed midserably. It is only the truly idiotic that keep trying to make this a 'FOC' personal thing and no matter how many times you try to make this personal, or change your username, just to be clear....

I DO NOT DISLIKE THE GUY....HE SEEMS PLEASANT ENOUGH.... so get off the personal trip! This is business....this is a failed championship, if you don't get the point I am making, may I suggest you partake in a thread less taxing for you to understand.

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 18 December 2011 - 02:22.

#117 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 19:26

Well tomorrow is meant to be D-day, who takes over the Promoting of the WRC???

Do NorthOneSport carry on, with new backers? - I hope not, although they've 'only' had the Promoters role since 2010, they've (or ISC have) had the WRC rights since 2000. Time to say thank you, and goodnight!!

What about the rumoured parties? Eurosport, Sky & RedBull??? All have their pros & cons.....

May the best package win!!

#118 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 22:08

I VERY CLEARLY said that while simon may be a nice guy.........

I personally have absolutely no 'dislike' for the guy.........

I DO NOT DISLIKE THE GUY....HE SEEMS PLEASANT ENOUGH....[/b]

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. :lol:
But surely Simon will be over the moon that it's nothing personal.

Yeah tomorrow D-day will we have a new promoter, don't expect it but who knows.

#119 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:30

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. :lol:

Nah...some people just seem to be really deaf! either that or incredibly stupid, so best to re-confirm! :wave:

Advertisement

#120 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:25

I don't expect it to happen, but as long as it's not NOS or, if they are retained, there's a clearout at the top with the new backers, i'll probably be happy.

Edited by Dispenser89, 19 December 2011 - 04:31.

#121 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:55

Good to see Autosport giving the sports current plight the coverage they feel it deserves on their homepage........ :cry:

#122 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:57

Good to see Autosport giving the sports current plight the coverage they feel it deserves on their homepage........ :cry:

What, this coverage...???  ;)

#123 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 17:17

Neuville going to compete in, at least, 9 rounds in the WRC. :clap:

#124 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,251 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 17:19

Neuville going to compete in, at least, 9 rounds in the WRC. :clap:

And if what I've heard is right, he will also do 3 gravel rallies in IRC.

#125 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 21:09

What, this coverage...???  ;)

So shall we take it that no news is good news then??????

Good to see neuville getting the chance his talent deserves too
(I'm gonna claim I called it too! :p

Great result for neuville!
Wonder were we looking at the guy that will get loebs seat when he retires or (the less likely) leaves

#126 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,300 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 00:03

great news for Thierry Neuville but what I don't understand is that Ford didn't contract him after Hirvonen left to Citroën, they had the chance to get the biggest young talent in rallying (together with Mikkelsen but I rate Neuville a bit higher) and they let Citroën get him.

#127 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 00:17

great news for Thierry Neuville but what I don't understand is that Ford didn't contract him after Hirvonen left to Citroën, they had the chance to get the biggest young talent in rallying (together with Mikkelsen but I rate Neuville a bit higher) and they let Citroën get him.

I'm pretty sure he was already tied down and ford only confirmed that they are competing in 2012 last week. And anyway, unless he brought a large amount of money with him, I doubt Wilson would've been interested......

#128 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 00:26

Mini will apprently be at the Monte... which is great news in light of recent finance concerns.

As to the rest, from what I have heard, Sky have to prove they can deliver a rally product as the FIA does not want to have a repeat of the last 8 years. Otherwise, the tried and tested Eurosport is likely to be given the nod unless NOS can pull a financial rabbit out of the hat this week!

#129 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 00:32

Mini will apprently be at the Monte... which is great news in light of recent finance concerns.

As to the rest, from what I have heard, Sky have to prove they can deliver a rally product as the FIA does not want to have a repeat of the last 8 years. Otherwise, the tried and tested Eurosport is likely to be given the nod unless NOS can pull a financial rabbit out of the hat this week!

When were eurosport ever tried or tested?
I can't recall them ever producing their own wrc highlights package, and when they did show n.o.s. produced highlights their scheduling was atrocious. Also, if that imbecile Carlton kirby is presenting I will not watch it. Ever.

#130 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:14

While I do accept is as a sign of our days and I acknowledge and enoy the fact that racing hardly never been that close it is a shame that the cars have become ever more similar in appearance, construction and pace. It really seems close to a spec forumula and the margin of freedom is ever becoming smaller. For example banning the active differentials was one of those steps which did remove a very interesting technical aspect from the sport.

Anyway I hope we will see a very competitive field in 2012 and some good drives.

#131 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,251 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:36

But Sky is a solution in just a couple of countries, there is no Sky for the rest. ):

#132 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:54

But Sky is a solution in just a couple of countries, there is no Sky for the rest. ):

But they'll Promote, film & market the sport and sell the rights around the world.....and those countries that have Sky/Fox will likely get it. Those that don't will hope their current broadcaster will buy the rights....

#133 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,251 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:59

But they'll Promote, film & market the sport and sell the rights around the world.....and those countries that have Sky/Fox will likely get it. Those that don't will hope their current broadcaster will buy the rights....

I'm just being a bit selfish or, to be honest, very selfish. That situation would mean that my chances of getting to watch anything of the Monte Carlo are reducing by the minute. After watching it live the past couple of years in Eurosport and, especially, after the amazing show of last year, I was looking forward and willing to pay for the on-line coverage of the Monte Carlo.

I suppose, with all this mess, we can directly forget about the internet coverage. If the rights go to Sky, Nitro will have to re-negotiate them and that takes time. My only other chance is German TV via satellite, but Sky would take the rights from Sport1 there so that chance would be gone.

-------------------------------------------------

In other order of things, Dani Sordo says that not even he knows which will be the calendar of Mini in 2012. The team is supposed to tell him on Thursday.

#134 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:08

When were eurosport ever tried or tested?
I can't recall them ever producing their own wrc highlights package, and when they did show n.o.s. produced highlights their scheduling was atrocious. Also, if that imbecile Carlton kirby is presenting I will not watch it. Ever.

By Tried and Tested I meant that last years Monte showed what Eurosport can do with a rally. I think that was one of the best pieces of coverage this sport has had for over 8 years, it was superb. Granted you dislike Kirby, but the way they have taken a championship and built it into an International series in just a few years is indication that they can also promote as well as make coverage.

I think that most would gladly accept Eurosport as the promoter, based on their recent efforts and clear passion for the sport, rather than trying to make it something that it is not.

#135 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:02

One problem with leaving the deal until late – is the possibility of the TV stations having no/ very little space in their schedules for the WRC. It’s one huge mess – what will happen here in the UK regarding MotorsTV & ESPN coverage?? It’s not like it’s F1 and space will be cleared for it – this is a niche sport.
Unless Eurosport get the job – and even then, the schedule needs to be reliable.

#136 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:17

Ford already has Tänak...

Edited by skywing, 20 December 2011 - 12:22.

#137 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:56

By Tried and Tested I meant that last years Monte showed what Eurosport can do with a rally. I think that was one of the best pieces of coverage this sport has had for over 8 years, it was superb. Granted you dislike Kirby, but the way they have taken a championship and built it into an International series in just a few years is indication that they can also promote as well as make coverage.

I think that most would gladly accept Eurosport as the promoter, based on their recent efforts and clear passion for the sport, rather than trying to make it something that it is not.

But that was just their coverage of 1 event, which was bankrolled by the A.C.M.
The coverage of most of the other events was shocking, sometimes not bothering with highlights from the 1st or last days at all.
As for Carlton Kirby, its not just me that dislikes him, he is awful

http://forums.autosp...2Bcarlton kirby

#138 EightGear

EightGear

• 415 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 13:21

According to Facebook, Craig Breen will do SWRC starting in Monte Carlo. SWRC could become very interesting next year, with Ogier, Breen, Paddon, Mikkelsen and maybe one more VW Skoda (?). Rumours are Abbring will do Monte Carlo for VW.

Edited by EightGear, 20 December 2011 - 13:22.

#139 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 13:32

According to Facebook, Craig Breen will do SWRC starting in Monte Carlo. SWRC could become very interesting next year, with Ogier, Breen, Paddon, Mikkelsen and maybe one more VW Skoda (?). Rumours are Abbring will do Monte Carlo for VW.

SWRC's coverage last year was truly shocking, if you are driving an S2000 car your sponsors will get a great deal more exposure on the IRC than SWRC, cheaper to do as well.

I will however be interested to see how Ogir does against the WRC cars... I predict a 6th or even 5th place this year! It will also be good for Breen to gauge himself against Ogier in similar machinery!

Advertisement

#140 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 13:34

http://forums.autosp...2Bcarlton kirby

Fair enough... :lol:

#141 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 14:03

Pretty dire....

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96806

The words 'Getting, Act and Together' would seem appropriate. Clearly the enthusiasm from BMW is not quite much as people were spinning earlier in the season...

Less smoke and mirrors and more honesty required in the WRC! If everyone within the Ivory Tower would stop blowing sunshine up everyone elses asses, maybe people could actually be honest about the problems and find a way or creating a working team to deal with them!

#142 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 14:14

Pretty dire....

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96806

The words 'Getting, Act and Together' would seem appropriate. Clearly the enthusiasm from BMW is not quite much as people were spinning earlier in the season...

Less smoke and mirrors and more honesty required in the WRC! If everyone within the Ivory Tower would stop blowing sunshine up everyone elses asses, maybe people could actually be honest about the problems and find a way or creating a working team to deal with them!

Crap........ :(

Edited by kosmic33, 20 December 2011 - 14:15.

#143 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 14:15

Look at the DTM; Audi, BMW & Mercedes – then look at all the associated sponsors involved. Now compare to the WRC. Something is wrong when a ‘domestic’ series is getting better, bigger sponsors than a World series.

#144 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 14:17

Look at the DTM; Audi, BMW & Mercedes – then look at all the associated sponsors involved. Now compare to the WRC. Something is wrong when a ‘domestic’ series is getting better, bigger sponsors than a World series.

I would love to know how much those sponsors are paying to be there though.
Sometimes manufacturers (ie:Moto GP) sell sponsorship pretty cheap to get names on the cars.....

#145 nimbus111

nimbus111

• 481 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 15:37

im sure they'll extend the deadline, they need the likes of BMW in that series.

#146 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 16:42

I think I am most disappointed in Jean Todt's silence in all this... The WRC truly needs a steadying hand right now and Mr Todt has just that hand! An update statement or something, would keep everyone heading down a constructive path!

#147 rpm2000

rpm2000

• 32 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 19:13

I agree that silence does not help the situation. A statement even if it does not confirm very much is better than hearing nothing, which causes rumour and scaremongering. Lets hope that something positive emerges before the end of the week or else I will really start to worry and fear the worst.

#148 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,251 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 21:34

A Spanish rallynews site says ServusTV is also one of the candidates to manage the WRC rights. I don't know if it's true or not, though.

ServusTV belongs to Dietrich Mateschitz, the Red Bull owner.

#149 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 22:27

I think Wolfie posted an article here where Red Bull was mentioned as one of the candidates for the rights, so that would fit. But I guess that would only count for Austria, to my knowledge you can't get ServusTV anywhere else (or maybe I'm mistaken). Would welcome that move though if it happens.

Edited by Turini, 20 December 2011 - 22:27.

#150 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 22:57

I think Wolfie posted an article here where Red Bull was mentioned as one of the candidates for the rights, so that would fit. But I guess that would only count for Austria, to my knowledge you can't get ServusTV anywhere else (or maybe I'm mistaken). Would welcome that move though if it happens.

They could do as FOM does with the F1. Produce it, and then sell the coverage package to the broadcasters around the world.