Photo

Rallying 2012

• Please log in to reply
1342 replies to this topic

Poll: Rallying 2011 (204 member(s) have cast votes)

What did you think of the WRC in 2011?

1. Poor (Must do better) (102 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. OK (72 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Good (20 votes [9.80%])

Percentage of vote: 9.80%

4. Excellent (10 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

Will the WRC in 2012 be:

1. Better (57 votes [27.94%])

Percentage of vote: 27.94%

2. The same (93 votes [45.59%])

Percentage of vote: 45.59%

3. Worse (54 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 23:02

I think Wolfie posted an article here where Red Bull was mentioned as one of the candidates for the rights, so that would fit. But I guess that would only count for Austria, to my knowledge you can't get ServusTV anywhere else (or maybe I'm mistaken). Would welcome that move though if it happens.

You can receive Servus TV in Germany, Austria and Switzerland via cable or terrestrial and in the rest of Europe via satellite.

Advertisement

#152 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,266 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 23:13

You can receive Servus TV in Germany, Austria and Switzerland via cable or terrestrial and in the rest of Europe via satellite.

Right, I get both, ServusTV and ServusTV Germany, as free channels in Astra down here in Spain.
Selfish me would not mind at all if they got the rights :blush:

#153 sesku

sesku

• 285 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:15

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96810

Proton to enter SWRC and APRC for 2012. No IRC for Proton next year.

#154 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:14

It's an interesting decision! With hardly any competition to the Skoda's in the IRC, they would have had gained much more publicity in the IRC I suspect, taking the fight to Skoda, rather than the S-WRC.

However it does pave the way for a possible future swap into the main WRC which has bee rumoured for a while...

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 21 December 2011 - 11:15.

#155 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 380 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:20

So what the hell is going on with Atkinson? I see no mention of him in that article. I'm guessing he is no longer contracted to Proton, or are they just keeping him in the APRC?

Either way, he is clearly the superior to Basso, Andersson, and McRae. Somethings just not right here.

#156 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:22

Since the IRC is set to merge with the ERC in 2013, I guess this decision makes sense... however just like Ford and M-Sport, MEM will need more backing from Proton if they want to do more than just participate imo, even though the few entrants in SWRC will make them look a bit better than in the IRC.

#157 sesku

sesku

• 285 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:28

It's an interesting decision! With hardly any competition to the Skoda's in the IRC, they would have had gained much more publicity in the IRC I suspect, taking the fight to Skoda, rather than the S-WRC.

However it does pave the way for a possible future swap into the main WRC which has bee rumoured for a while...

Is the next step for Proton after SRWC is WRC? There is a rumour of proton participation of WRC for a while. They really dominating APRC but look pretty weak in IRC. It going to be a long journey for Proton to be in WRC. Proton used to won 2002 PWRC.

#158 EightGear

EightGear

• 417 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:39

So what the hell is going on with Atkinson? I see no mention of him in that article. I'm guessing he is no longer contracted to Proton, or are they just keeping him in the APRC?

Either way, he is clearly the superior to Basso, Andersson, and McRae. Somethings just not right here.

I've read somewhere he could be driving Paddon's Subaru R4 next year.

#159 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 497 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:39

So what the hell is going on with Atkinson?

He should be in the WRC! From what I recall a couple(?) of years ago in Ireland he ended up matching Loebs times in the wet in a one off drive in a Citroen, that he had never driven before. Since then he has disappeared from the WRC radar but has done well in the APRC. Another lost talent given the current state of the WRC?

Advertisement

#160 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 380 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:02

He should be in the WRC! From what I recall a couple(?) of years ago in Ireland he ended up matching Loebs times in the wet in a one off drive in a Citroen, that he had never driven before. Since then he has disappeared from the WRC radar but has done well in the APRC. Another lost talent given the current state of the WRC?

Ya and he ended up spinning his C4 into a telephone pole as well lol

#161 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:06

Yes I am disappointed Chris did not get a better crack at the WRC, but just as he worked his way up to a works seat, it was pulled from under him. Such is the nature of the championship, that if the likes of Petter Solberg as former World Champion, has to pay for his own ride for several years, it would be almost impossible for Chris to do likewise.

This all comes back to the mangement of the series......

The BIGGEST mistake NOS made, was being overrun by Max Mosley, Ford and Citroen (mainly the latter and Mad Max). Mosley had this bloody '1 world engine' idea and unfortunately the WRC fell for it hook line and sinker.

All this talk that manufacturers were no longer interested in making 2L Litre engines has been proven to be inaccurate. The WRC had the opportunity in 2010 to switch to the S2000 formula, Whereby instantly you would have had cars from Skoda, Peugeot, Ford, Proton and even lesser options like the MG, Toyota, VW Polo and Opel Corsa.

A clear path would have been to make the WRC S2000 until 2013, where upon a new WRC would be born... (with 1.6 Turbo's if need be) which is when Mini, VW, Citroen, etc could have all entered the fray and giving other manufacturers chance to build something to compete in the new category, all on an equal starting basis.

Instead the IRC was born from proven demand, two manufacturers went their own way in the WRC, leaving us with a lack of seats, a god awful championship and now a situation where any incoming manufacturer has to spend a HUGE amount of money to catch up with Ford and Citroen, in order to break the duopoly! as Mini has discovered....

The truly scary thing is... this is not rocket science above.... it was sheer, basic common bloody sense.... and yet 'those in the know' thought they knew better. Unfortunately it now leaves us with a WRC in dire shape and absolutely no recognition from the current promoters that they have royally screwed it up and more importantly, what they are going to do to put it right.

It's a shame Audi is so set on sportcars these days, as this new little beasty the A1 Quattro, with it's 2.0L TFSI and 4WD would make a super S2000 car!
http://carscoop.blog...a1-quattro.html

#162 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,733 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:47

Hopefully the deadline for entries is extended and Mini makes it, it would be a big blow if they're out of the sport already. It needs as many competitors as possible at the moment, and losing one out of 3 manufacturers when another of them is so shaky (Ford) is worrying. Even with VW arriving - we don't want the sport to be a mere VW vs Citroen duel.

#163 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 13:17

Oh no, not the fabled ‘World engine’. This was discussed briefly on the RadioLeMans website – and what a surprise that only the WRC/ WTCC went for it - the 2 weakest, and most denigrated Championships in Motorsport!! How predictable. Have these ‘shopping trolleys on steroids’ really captured the general Motorsport fans imagination?? I’d say no they haven’t.
The new 1.6T S2000 regs haven’t worked – only another 2 Manufacturers have signed up & the costs aren’t significantly cheaper, as they were supposed to be. And 2 of the 4 are doing it on a shoestring budget.....not good.

If I was Jean Todt, I’d be tempted to start all over again – so everyone can start from scratch with a clean slate. But, it’s too late for that. However, I’d try and get the GT class in and quick....

#164 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 17:45

This has just had me in hysterics!!

Old Honda...nice screamy engine! :up:

Flat Over Crest... :up:

ENORMOUS COJONES... :up:

Points for effort in trying to get the car started and continue.... HUGE :up:

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#165 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 17:49

If I was Jean Todt, I’d be tempted to start all over again – so everyone can start from scratch with a clean slate. But, it’s too late for that. However, I’d try and get the GT class in and quick....

Can you imagine what 1.6Turbo V6's would sound like in the forests.... :up:

As to the GT's.... The perfect cars in waiting are the Toyota GT86 and the Subaru BRZ! If I were JT, I would be ALL OVER Toyota and Subaru to get those little drift monsters into the WRC! However preferably with the Subaru 3.0 Boxer6 rather than the 2.0 Four banger!

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 21 December 2011 - 17:50.

#166 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 890 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:43

Marcos Ligato will return next season to P-WRC with a Subaru by Top Run.

#167 BRG

BRG

• 11,663 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 20:55

Yes I am disappointed Chris did not get a better crack at the WRC, but just as he worked his way up to a works seat, it was pulled from under him. Such is the nature of the championship, that if the likes of Petter Solberg as former World Champion, has to pay for his own ride for several years, it would be almost impossible for Chris to do likewise.

He had by far a better crack at the WRC than most. Three years in a works car is a pretty fair crack in my book. Tried, tested, but not quite good enough. He has nothing to complain about.

This all comes back to the management of the series......

:rotfl:

#168 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,038 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 20:56

Came across this the other day -- P. Solberg foot cam.

#169 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 380 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 21:08

He had by far a better crack at the WRC than most. Three years in a works car is a pretty fair crack in my book. Tried, tested, but not quite good enough. He has nothing to complain about.

He's not quite good enough, but Petter is still considered to be one of the best? Am I the only one who watched 2008?

#170 BRG

BRG

• 11,663 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 21:25

He's not quite good enough, but Petter is still considered to be one of the best? Am I the only one who watched 2008?

Wow, he managed 5th in the WRC and was a whole 4 points ahead of Solberg. Remind me how many rallies he won in 2008?

#171 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 380 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 21:52

Wow, he managed 5th in the WRC and was a whole 4 points ahead of Solberg. Remind me how many rallies he won in 2008?

Remind me how many rallies his teammate won.

He finished where he was supposed to finish, ahead of his teammate.

5 podiums vs 1 for Petter.

I don't want to start some argument, I just believe that Chris was faster then, and he's most likely faster now, and its utterly ridiculous to suggest that he "wasn't good enough" when he outscored his teammate, who is supposedly still world champion material. And lets be honest with ourselves here, who was getting the preferential treatment in that team?

#172 BRG

BRG

• 11,663 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 22:07

Solberg won the WRC and 13 WRC rounds. Atkinson didn't. How hard is that for you to understand?

#173 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 22:46

Not quite sure what your laughing at... 4 Factory works seats versus a potential minimum of 8 factory seats had they gone S2000? How is that not a decision of the championship manager?

#174 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 23:22

Not quite sure what your laughing at... 4 Factory works seats versus a potential minimum of 8 factory seats had they gone S2000? How is that not a decision of the championship manager?

Guess he had to laugh at the predictability of your post too. :lol:

#175 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 00:13

I've been trying to figure out the 8 works seats......
Peugeot? Nope, wouldn't be allowed enter.
Proton? Well that's 1 seat.
Skoda? Wouldn't be allowed enter by VAG and if they did they'd be out after this year.
Fiat? They've quit

The wrc on the other hand will have 9 (maybe 10) factory drivers next year.
Citroen: Loeb, Hirvonen, Neuville
Ford: Latvala, Solberg
Mini: Sordo, Meeke
VW/Skoda: Ogier, (Hanninen?)
Proton: McRae

#176 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 00:14

He's still the only driver to ever beat Loeb in the world championship......

#177 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 497 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:03

So after winning 3 out of the 6 APRC rounds, and only narrowly missing out on the APRC title due to mechanical issues, Proton have dumped Chris Atkinson completely for 2012. How does that make any sense when their WRC designated driver is to be P-G Andersson? Surely Atkinson would be a more competitive choice than P-G?!?

#178 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:23

I've been trying to figure out the 8 works seats......
Peugeot? Nope, wouldn't be allowed enter.
Proton? Well that's 1 seat.
Skoda? Wouldn't be allowed enter by VAG and if they did they'd be out after this year.
Fiat? They've quit

The wrc on the other hand will have 9 (maybe 10) factory drivers next year.
Citroen: Loeb, Hirvonen, Neuville
Ford: Latvala, Solberg
Mini: Sordo, Meeke
VW/Skoda: Ogier, (Hanninen?)
Proton: McRae

Again, much better to read the post in its entirety... I was reflecting the position in 2010 had it switched to S2000.
Peugeot/Citroen One would have run two cars,
Ford would have had two cars,
Proton had two cars,
Skoda had two cars,
There were also cars from Fiat and various privateer teams...so yes AT THE TIME there would have been more factory seats, which may have enabled Atkinson to continue in the top flight, which was the point of the post.

THEN... in 2013 they could have possibly had a huge manufacturer entry wit a proper build up and development for all manufacturers on an equal basis.

I hope that clarifies what I thought was clear....

#179 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:26

Guess he had to laugh at the predictability of your post too. :lol:

Your personal infatuation is getting equally creepy. There have been various people on this thread discussing the exact same point about the championship and the organisers and it is mirrored across the internet by the hundreds of thousands....

Yet you seem obsessed with trying to make this a FOC personal issue... move on you sad individual, as I said, simply changing your user name does not hide this is a very pathetic constant attempt to make this personal.

Advertisement

#180 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,733 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:34

Well as a neutral I'd say you're quite right to be annoyed with the management of the WRC, yet the constant preaching against Simon Long is getting tiresome and really does sound like a personal issue.

#181 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:53

Unfortunately he is the man at the top... if it was Neil Duncanson in that role, he would be getting the flak. It really is that simple and in fact most of my postings in this thread have been about the management group with just a few references to the statements made by Long. I won't apologise for highlighting statements he has made that show what a key role he has had in championship direction.

Again, I could not care less about the guy personally, but what I do want to see, is someone with some experience in the sport to step forward as the new head of the series to take it forward. Someone like Ari, Juha, Michele....truly put them in charge of the series rather than liaison officers.

I should add...that I have been quite clear that I think the ENTIRE management team should go, however my comment which started this usual accusation from 'Concorde' is that if the FIA either choose not to or cannot get out of the agreement currently in place, then they should insist on new leadership.

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 22 December 2011 - 11:56.

#182 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 380 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:54

Solberg won the WRC and 13 WRC rounds. Atkinson didn't. How hard is that for you to understand?

Boss I understand it completely. I also understand that for all of those wins, his teammates were a Tommi Makinen clone, a nowhere near his prime Mikko Hirvonen, and Atkinson in his first full season. Hard to compare apples and oranges. I'm not taking anything away from Petter. He was great in 2003. For a span of about five years he was the second or third best driver on the planet. I understand this.

#183 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 13:34

Want to go drive in the WRC?

Here's the first Mini S2000 spec car I have seen for sale, 290,000 Euro's....

http://www.rally24.c...2000-32382.html

Then there are the entry fee's, running cost's, transport, hotac, insurance... Very expensive business for a privateer, where you will not get much coverage and thus exposure return for your sponsor.

Versus taking 300,000 euros and putting that into a season's racing at a decent level with good TV coverage and ample opportunities for sponsors.... Therefore it is easy to see how difficult it is to attract more privateer teams to the WRC in the current economic climate.

#184 VoiceofRally

VoiceofRally

• 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 14:11

Unfortunately he is the man at the top... if it was Neil Duncanson in that role, he would be getting the flak. It really is that simple and in fact most of my postings in this thread have been about the management group with just a few references to the statements made by Long. I won't apologise for highlighting statements he has made that show what a key role he has had in championship direction.

Again, I could not care less about the guy personally, but what I do want to see, is someone with some experience in the sport to step forward as the new head of the series to take it forward. Someone like Ari, Juha, Michele....truly put them in charge of the series rather than liaison officers.

I should add...that I have been quite clear that I think the ENTIRE management team should go, however my comment which started this usual accusation from 'Concorde' is that if the FIA either choose not to or cannot get out of the agreement currently in place, then they should insist on new leadership.

I really enjoy this forum, but FOC, you are the tiresome and boring broken record. (and yes, that is personal)

If it's not me who you're insulting it's respected journalists such as David Evans or people like Simon Long. The sad thing is that your preoccupation with people bashing detracts totally from the fact that you very occasionally have some interesting things to say. Just my opinion, but maybe worth listening to!

#185 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,546 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 14:24

Please take personal disagreements to Private Messaging, but, remember, keep them civil.

#186 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 16:37

I really enjoy this forum, but FOC, you are the tiresome and boring broken record. (and yes, that is personal)

If it's not me who you're insulting it's respected journalists such as David Evans or people like Simon Long. The sad thing is that your preoccupation with people bashing detracts totally from the fact that you very occasionally have some interesting things to say. Just my opinion, but maybe worth listening to!

I wondered how long before you would chime in. Do you really want to discuss personal attacks? Your personal animosity is long chronicled, but I guess somehow you exclude yourself from such teachings?

As to the broken record.... The WRC is in dire situation.... maybe that is not convenient for you? Maybe when MANY other posters who post similar about the state of the series, they are somehow different? No...the broken/tiresome thing here is the personal attack from a couple of people who are trying to do their best to deflect the focus from the utter diabolical position the WRC finds itself in, by trying to make it seem like I am the only one that finds the current situation appalling. In addition MANY, many solutions have been put forward and many ideas discussed as to how to fix things...but again you cannot really attack that.

As to accusation of insulting people? Where? I find David's constant non-critique of the current ghastly state of affairs in the WRC as extremely poor journalism. I am entitled to highlight this and beg to differ, to the often 'All is great' content of some of his pieces... That's not insulting the guy, its disagreeing with him and what appears to be a biased view of the championship.

As to this CONSTANT allegation of insulting Simon Long.... this unfounded, extremely boring accusation is pathetically weak and yet you keep harping on about it. If the guy puts himself on the pedestal as the front man for the series, then he has to take the criticism when it goes horribly wrong and yes, the current state of the series he has to shoulder a huge responsibility for? I won't apologise for highlighting this. I have been extremely critical of the entire NOS management team and if you bothered to read, quite supportive of those on the ground in the series....... but I come from the old school of business, that when a business is massively under-performing, its the leadership that has to go.... or everyone keeps running along telling each other how wonderful it is, when in reality things are in diabolical shape. How can that be right?

As to your own personal claim of insult? That's a blatant lie and I'll call you out for it.... I chose poor words once about you which I changed and apologised for a long time ago, yet YOU, constantly snipe and dig and carry your personal animosity around for all to see.... there is but one person that needs to move on from these things otherwise it says a great deal more about who truly has the 'issue' here. You and I know who has done more of their fair share of tale telling away from here, unfortunately for you, none has come from me.

So yes....

I am more than happy to listen to others opinions and enjoy a good debate, but what I find truly pathetic is when people bring a personal animosity into the equation.

I have made it abundantly clear I have nothing against Mr Long, I have a massive issue with what he has done to this championship, as a result I think he at the very least, needs to go.
I have zero issue with David as a person and he is a nice guy, but some of the pieces written recently have been so biased, its not even defendable.
For the FINAL TIME VOR..... I do not have an issue with you nor have I EVER HAD ONE (I still have absolutely NO IDEA where your own personal beef came from!) I disliked some of your past style and technique and THAT IS IT! You however, have carried a bloody chip on your shoulder for years and it's long past time you dropped it...Move on for fecks sake.

#187 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 19:20

Want to go drive in the WRC?

Here's the first Mini S2000 spec car I have seen for sale, 290,000 Euro's....

http://www.rally24.c...2000-32382.html

Then there are the entry fee's, running cost's, transport, hotac, insurance... Very expensive business for a privateer, where you will not get much coverage and thus exposure return for your sponsor.

Versus taking 300,000 euros and putting that into a season's racing at a decent level with good TV coverage and ample opportunities for sponsors.... Therefore it is easy to see how difficult it is to attract more privateer teams to the WRC in the current economic climate.

What World Championship (for that is all you can compare with the World Rally Championship) can you do for €300,000?
Formula 1?
World Endurance?
Moto GP?
WTCC?
Definitely not the Skoda, sorry Intercontinental Rally Challenge
You couldn't even do the World Karting Championship with competitive equipment for €300k
ITS THE WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP, THE PINNACLE OF THE SPORT, ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CHEAP!

Come to think of it, you couldn't buy a latest spec Skoda Fabia s2000 for that €300k!

The new breed 1.6T's are around €10k per day cheaper to run and are spectacular to watch. What more do you want?

Edited by kosmic33, 22 December 2011 - 19:22.

#188 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 21:20

What World Championship (for that is all you can compare with the World Rally Championship) can you do for €300,000?
Formula 1?
World Endurance?
Moto GP?
WTCC?
Definitely not the Skoda, sorry Intercontinental Rally Challenge
You couldn't even do the World Karting Championship with competitive equipment for €300k
ITS THE WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP, THE PINNACLE OF THE SPORT, ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CHEAP!

Come to think of it, you couldn't buy a latest spec Skoda Fabia s2000 for that €300k!

The new breed 1.6T's are around €10k per day cheaper to run and are spectacular to watch. What more do you want?

Christ...I think I am going to post in Mongolian from now on, might be easier to understand.

I was simply highlighting the cost to run a 2nd hand S2000 car , not even a fully fledged WRC car, to those that may have no idea! I appreciate Kosmic that you know a great deal about rally cars, but you have to remember that I am not purely speaking to you :rolleyes: .... so what seems like "No Shit Sherlock" to you....may not in fact be aimed at you!!!

The 'point' I was trying to make, was to highlight the cost to even compete in the 2nd tier of the WRC now! Considerably different from the old P-WRC days... To try an answer your question though, if I was a company and had 300k at my disposal to sponsor a car.... yes to be honest, you could deploy those funds a great deal more effectively within Endurance, Touring cars, etc for greater coverage return than slapping your name on the side of an 'S_WRC' car. The point being...those in this category now are having to spend a great deal more to not even be in the top tier!!

Thus begging the question....is the 2nd tier still too expensive!?!?! THAT is the type of point I am trying to get people to consider and discuss!

Again, personally I preferred the original WRC cars for spectacle, I think that mix was about right.... these 1.6T's are an improvement over the last gen of WRC cars... however.....My post was not even discussing the latest WRC cars :confused:
So I guess what I want, is to ASK that you to actually take the time to read what I have written and then discuss....rather than start telling me about the cost reduction and the status of the pinnacle of the sport, when I am quite well aware that the 'WRC' 1.6T machines SHOULD be relatively expensive as they are indeed the pinnacle of the sport!

Not Mongolian but it makes the point!
این یک نبرد خونین نیست!

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 22 December 2011 - 21:21.

#189 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 00:40

Dani Sordo's twitter (translated....)
Good afternoon everyone, after an intense day of reunion I am glad to tell you good news, the 2012 season we there minimum 10 races with the mini wrc starting at the Monte Carlo Rally. I hope that the car and I continue to evolve and give many joys. All the information I transmitted this is waiting for a release from the team. A big hug

Only 10 rounds.....
Suppose it beats 0 Rounds

#190 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 00:46

Well yes, 10 rounds is better than 0, but not ideal is it. What about Kris/Paul?? What about homologation?? Will BMW put more finance backing if the Promoter issue is sorted??

Too many questions......

#191 rpm2000

rpm2000

• 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 00:57

Perhaps having 10 quality rounds for the entire WRC this year would be best. With so many questions and issues focusing on a basic but quality package may be best for everyone. Plus you get all manufactuers at every round and something to build on for 2013.

#192 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:10

Many of us made this exact point a week or more ago.... the FIA is taking far too long over this. They have had Dave Richards and Malcolm asking that this years championship be shortened as well...
Unfortunately, event contracts may prevent this...but who knows? Either way, a shortened, mainly European based championship for an interim year (Europe due to travel costs..sorry NZ, Arg, Oz etc) would allow everything to be put into place for a proper 2013....

Back on Dec 7th I was discussing the Mini situation elsewhere and was told of the truly dire situation the Prodrive WRC campaign was in and that they may only run one car next year....I truly hope for Kris's sake that this is not the case..but BMW truly needs to step up right now and throw some extra beans into the tin!!

Edited by FlatOverCrest, 23 December 2011 - 01:34.

#193 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:59

From his twitter:
No Monte for Meeke. Sordo + a privateer.....

:(

#194 JeePee

JeePee

• 582 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:04

Kevin Abbring gets to drive a Fabia S2000 next to Ogier in Monte. Really hope he can impress! Would be nice if he gets the VW drive.

#195 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,050 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:21

Is Petter Solberg confirmed at Ford?

#196 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,266 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:52

:(

What the Spanish press is saying is that Meeke has been fired because of the lack of money. Don't know if the information is correct or not. I sincerelly hope it is not true.

Is Petter Solberg confirmed at Ford?

Yep.

#197 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:00

Not good news from Kris' Twitter acoount.......

Prodrive have kept quiet on this.
I know Prodrive get a lot of support, but don’t forget the huge cock-up with the Aston-Martin AMR1 LMP1 car – an unmitigated disaster!!

#198 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,266 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:33

Not good news from Kris' Twitter acoount.......

Prodrive have kept quiet on this.
I know Prodrive get a lot of support, but don’t forget the huge cock-up with the Aston-Martin AMR1 LMP1 car – an unmitigated disaster!!

Urg! I have just read Meeke's tweet :( it fits too well with what the Spanish press says: the 2nd Mini should be for private drivers who rent it during the different rallies.

#199 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 14:15

That does confirm what many said here, that BMW seems not to be giving much financial support to the WRC operation just like Ford with M-Sport...

But in a way it's nothing surprising, why should manufacturers invest in a championship that doesn't attract a lot of media attention, and on top of it conveys the impression that it is managed like it was the Andorran amateur football championship.

Edited by Turini, 23 December 2011 - 14:18.

Advertisement

#200 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 15:02

ever wonder what it would be like to have the girl you loved tell you shes leaving you to go work as a prostitute?
#MotorsportCanBeDangerous

Take it he's not impressed then.....