Photo

Rallying 2012

• Please log in to reply
1342 replies to this topic

Poll: Rallying 2011 (204 member(s) have cast votes)

What did you think of the WRC in 2011?

1. Poor (Must do better) (102 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. OK (72 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

3. Good (20 votes [9.80%])

Percentage of vote: 9.80%

4. Excellent (10 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

Will the WRC in 2012 be:

1. Better (57 votes [27.94%])

Percentage of vote: 27.94%

2. The same (93 votes [45.59%])

Percentage of vote: 45.59%

3. Worse (54 votes [26.47%])

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,588 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 15:09

I'm not sure what I think, I want WRC to go back to having so unique events that locals that are fast, and gets theire hands on a good full-spec car, should be able to get great results. But as long as WRC doesn't have those unique events, I don't get the big enjoyement of it either...

Advertisement

#202 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 16:15

Take it he's not impressed then.....

Oh wow.

Hope he can get a ride in the IRC or something. :|

Edited by Dispenser89, 23 December 2011 - 16:16.

#203 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 870 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 18:09

Rally Argentina 2012 will be a long one as speculated: 503 km of racing. It will take place at Córdoba in its entirety, despite early talks that it could go through three different provinces.

#204 PhilG

PhilG

• 474 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 18:41

Not good news from Kris' Twitter acoount.......

Prodrive have kept quiet on this.
I know Prodrive get a lot of support, but don’t forget the huge cock-up with the Aston-Martin AMR1 LMP1 car – an unmitigated disaster!!

Yes, lots of people who should have known better.... its why there are engine design companies with years of experience.. cos they know what they are doing... they may be the dear route on paper, but paper is cheap... once the metal bit dont work, you are a long way down the road with a lot of cash spent.

#205 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,171 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 20:10

Rally Argentina 2012 will be a long one as speculated: 503 km of racing. It will take place at Córdoba in its entirety, despite early talks that it could go through three different provinces.

I see there is a 66 km long stage. Interesting.

#206 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,537 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 14:46

I see there is a 66 km long stage. Interesting.

Thats about the length of some national rallies!

The tyres will be in some state by the end of it, especially the more agressive drivers like Latvala's

Edited by kosmic33, 24 December 2011 - 14:47.

#207 rpm2000

rpm2000

• 32 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 15:47

Sounds like this will be an interesting rally and I am looking forward to it, especially if we have a 66km stage. Not sure if travelling to Argentina and having such a long this exactly helps with cost cutting and encouraging new manufactures however………..

#208 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 15:59

Truly sorry for Kris.... This shambles is beyond a joke now!

If this is a championship at the point of being brilliant again... there are some very trippy pills being swallowed! I am still staggered we have not had a formal announcement of control of the series being taken back by the FIA.

I wish YOU ALL a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Here's to a more stable, well thought out and properly planned WRC and a better year for rallying as a whole in 2012!

#209 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 16:59

Truly sorry for Kris.... This shambles is beyond a joke now!

If this is a championship at the point of being brilliant again... there are some very trippy pills being swallowed! I am still staggered we have not had a formal announcement of control of the series being taken back by the FIA.

I wish YOU ALL a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Here's to a more stable, well thought out and properly planned WRC and a better year for rallying as a whole in 2012!

Hmm, according to Twitter, it seems as though NOS might have a deal, and could go through after Christmas......Personally, I was hoping for a fresh start, and new ideas.

#210 sesku

sesku

• 282 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:53

Just sharing

http://www.wrc.com/n...-wrc/?fid=15881

#211 EightGear

EightGear

• 405 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 18:49

Monte Carlo entry list:

http://www.rally-man...ws.php?id=12264

I hope all the mistakes in the list will be fixed (Abbring is listed as German, but he's Dutch, and some names are wrong).

#212 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,588 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 22:24

Just read on the norwegian rally site that Lotus is supposed to debut in GT at MC, but there ain't a Lotus on the entry list...

#213 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,353 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:32

The new 1.6T S2000 regs haven’t worked – only another 2 Manufacturers have signed up & the costs aren’t significantly cheaper, as they were supposed to be. And 2 of the 4 are doing it on a shoestring budget.....not good.

Is there some way that privateers can build their own cars that are competitive like in touring cars or NASCAR etc? You have the basic engine bits and basic chassis homologated by the manufacturer, then the race teams can do their own thing and build different versions of the same car?

Does the full field of WRC teams get free travel in the way that F1 teams do? The idea that you have to go to every round but you get significant benefits (up to 1/3 of your budget?) for doing so, is on balance, not such a bad thing for F1 or aussie v8s etc.

#214 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:11

Good to see Delecour entered in a WRC car this time (Monte).

#215 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,409 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 00:01

Good to see Delecour entered in a WRC car this time (Monte).

Interesting, but I'd much rather have an up-and-coming driver than someone who retired 10 years ago, and is a few months from becoming 50 years old. Waste of a perfectly good car in my opinion.

Though with Novikov, Tanak, Prokop and Neuville all on private WRCs for this event, this should prove fun. Not to mention we're all eager to know what Solberg and Hirvonen can do for their new teams - and Monte is all so random. Looking forward to this.

Edited by noikeee, 29 December 2011 - 00:02.

#216 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,409 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 00:08

Wait, where's Mads Ostberg? Anyone knows what is he doing this year?

#217 PhilG

PhilG

• 474 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 00:43

Is there some way that privateers can build their own cars that are competitive like in touring cars or NASCAR etc? You have the basic engine bits and basic chassis homologated by the manufacturer, then the race teams can do their own thing and build different versions of the same car?

Does the full field of WRC teams get free travel in the way that F1 teams do? The idea that you have to go to every round but you get significant benefits (up to 1/3 of your budget?) for doing so, is on balance, not such a bad thing for F1 or aussie v8s etc.

you cant do it on the cheap, to get a budget together you would need to commit to doing it properly, and that would need a lot of work.. you cant just do it with one car, and expect to have it last.

Travel isnt subsidised, there is no paying punter at most events to support this, Ford chartered a boat to get them to the middle east last year, it cost them a fortune, to do a rally nobody watched... and where nobody buys their cars.. pointless

#218 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,353 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:47

Ford chartered a boat to get them to the middle east last year, it cost them a fortune, to do a rally nobody watched... and where nobody buys their cars.. pointless

Really? Don't they have old Crown Vics still to sell. Big car, big engine, cheap = winner? Only to bring back a modern Fairlane to take on that cheap and cheerful Caprice... :) I hear Chevy's sales have plummeted too so never mind me... It's amusing to watch a Caprice pull behind a Suzuki Swift, it is literally twice as long.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 29 December 2011 - 05:49.

#219 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,171 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:22

Wait, where's Mads Ostberg? Anyone knows what is he doing this year?

What I've heard (not sure about the reliability of the source, though): Ostberg will start the season in Sweden and he might be driving a Mini.

Advertisement

#220 PhilG

PhilG

• 474 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 13:39

Really? Don't they have old Crown Vics still to sell. Big car, big engine, cheap = winner? Only to bring back a modern Fairlane to take on that cheap and cheerful Caprice... :) I hear Chevy's sales have plummeted too so never mind me... It's amusing to watch a Caprice pull behind a Suzuki Swift, it is literally twice as long.

The whole point for the manufacturers is to put their product under the noses of the people who buy them...

As much as NASCAR racing is manufactured, racing $50,0000 cars for $5,000,000 purses is what its all about, not the other way round... sadly WRC's business model lacks the influx of cash from the paying punter to balance the books.

I can the IRC getting stronger... traditional events that are cheap to do, under the noses of the people you want them under.

#221 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,537 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 13:58

The whole point for the manufacturers is to put their product under the noses of the people who buy them...

As much as NASCAR racing is manufactured, racing $50,0000 cars for $5,000,000 purses is what its all about, not the other way round... sadly WRC's business model lacks the influx of cash from the paying punter to balance the books.

I can the IRC getting stronger... traditional events that are cheap to do, under the noses of the people you want them under.

But a nascar costs nearer $300,000. and you need at least 3 different cars for a seasons racing so that makes $900,000.......
And anyway the WRC has about as much in common with football as it does NASCAR.

Unfortunately the IRC is getting much weaker.
Its lost its flagship event
Its only has 2 of the 7 s2000 manufacturers (Fiat Abarth quit, Proton have moved to the swrc & ford/opel/mg never really bothered)
Some of its events have Moto GP sized entries.......

Edited by kosmic33, 29 December 2011 - 13:58.

#222 PhilG

PhilG

• 474 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 17:55

But a nascar costs nearer $300,000. and you need at least 3 different cars for a seasons racing so that makes $900,000.......
And anyway the WRC has about as much in common with football as it does NASCAR.

Unfortunately the IRC is getting much weaker.
Its lost its flagship event
Its only has 2 of the 7 s2000 manufacturers (Fiat Abarth quit, Proton have moved to the swrc & ford/opel/mg never really bothered)
Some of its events have Moto GP sized entries.......

Its still peanuts in comparison , owner points , prize money and all the rest make it sustainable , plus sponsors want to get involved.

Its a shame it isnt going forward, but lack of long term investment, and a path from national series to world level doesnt help..

#223 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 14:21

Two weeks tomorrow will see the opening ceremony for the WRC opener; the Rallye Monte-Carlo....

Surely something concrete will happen this week regards the NOS/ Promoter issue. So far, six entries for the S-WRC...yes, six.....It seems people, sponsors, teams won't sign up until everything is sorted.

I wonder if the ACM wish they'd stayed in the IRC...???

#224 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,050 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 14:56

I wonder if the ACM wish they'd stayed in the IRC...???

i wish they stayed with irc...rallying highlight of the year watching it live on eurosport...

#225 JimmyTheFox

JimmyTheFox

• 80 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 15:16

So, is the 2012 WRC season going to be covered on ITV?

North One Sport were apparently in negotiations with them to show it on ITV4...

#226 Turini

Turini

• 710 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 16:58

Surely something concrete will happen this week regards the NOS/ Promoter issue. So far, six entries for the S-WRC...yes, six.....It seems people, sponsors, teams won't sign up until everything is sorted.

Six S-WRC entrants, five P-WRC entrants, and only three WRC manufacturer teams (Citroen WRT, Ford WRT and Palmeirinha Rally which seems to be Paulo Nobre's private team) - super :rolleyes:

Edited by Turini, 02 January 2012 - 16:58.

#227 EightGear

EightGear

• 405 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 19:01

Very bad news coming in about Mini. It is reported MC will be their last event and Mini will no longer support Prodrive.

http://www.rallye-ma...-aus/index.html

I'm no hero on German though, but on other forums these rumours are heared as well.

#228 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,384 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 19:48

Fantastic. :rolleyes:

#229 BRG

BRG

• 11,409 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 20:03

Even Suzuki gave it a better shot than that.

#230 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,171 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 20:19

Oh vaya! :(

#231 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,537 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 20:20

So i'm guessing 1 or maybe all of 4 things has happened
1. BMW see winning their national touring car series as being more important than the WRC (Flatovercrest 1-0 NOS)
2. BMW took exception to Prodrive's rapidly growing fleet of customer cars being driven at an, ahem, relaxed pace near the back of the field as they are cheapening their brand image.
3. BMW didn't want to be shown up by their neighbours VW in 2013
4. BMW never really were that interested in the 1st place as Mini as a brand only sell around 200,000 cars per year

Guess we'll find out in this weeks Motorsport News......

#232 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 20:36

So i'm guessing 1 or maybe all of 4 things has happened
1. BMW see winning their national touring car series as being more important than the WRC (Flatovercrest 1-0 NOS)
2. BMW took exception to Prodrive's rapidly growing fleet of customer cars being driven at an, ahem, relaxed pace near the back of the field as they are cheapening their brand image.
3. BMW didn't want to be shown up by their neighbours VW in 2013
4. BMW never really were that interested in the 1st place as Mini as a brand only sell around 200,000 cars per year

Guess we'll find out in this weeks Motorsport News......

I reckon you're on the money - a combination of all those factors. BMW simply don't get Rallying - add in the NOS/Promoter 'issues' and it's a recipe for disaster. Prodrive aren't smelling of roses either, and after the AMR1 Le Mans debacle........ :down:

I know it's easy with hindsight, but the Prodrive 'generic' WRCar design was probably a desperate act to get back into the WRC.

#233 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,537 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 21:00

I reckon you're on the money - a combination of all those factors. BMW simply don't get Rallying - add in the NOS/Promoter 'issues' and it's a recipe for disaster. Prodrive aren't smelling of roses either, and after the AMR1 Le Mans debacle........ :down:

I know it's easy with hindsight, but the Prodrive 'generic' WRCar design was probably a desperate act to get back into the WRC.

We'll sure if it truly is a generic design, they'll have no problem throwing all the bits at a different car and it working straight out of the box.....

At least they managed to get Mini to homologate the car for them so they car start truing to recuperate the money lost on the AMR1. Its not like theres a limit on the number of customer cars they can build.......

#234 BRG

BRG

• 11,409 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 21:04

BMW simply don't get Rallying

That was definitely the case back when Prodrive wanted to develop the original M3 for rallying. They struggled against BMW's reluctance to see their executive expresses getting all muddy. But I guess they didn't mind when Beguin won the Tour de Corse for them.

#235 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:23

You simply could not make it up could you...... :rolleyes:

The 'fallout' has been pretty brutal from what I understand and it all points to a parting of the ways. That combined with Proton's slightly shaky financials with the Loss making Lotus, the WRC is staring down the barrell of not only losing the Mini-Prodrive effort, but possibly a reduced Proton effort and a stillborn R-GT Lotus project....... and yet the FIA remains silent...

So yep...think Kosmic's points are pretty much on the button and yes I suspect the ACM truly wishes it had stayed on the IRC for this year...

The one glimmer of hope I have, is that Subaru see the future in their BRZ Coupe, with a return to rallying as well as their GT race programme. It would be great to see Prodrive return to that famous Blue and to develop a truly awesome fan pleasing rally car again with all the spectacle people are looking for! Rumour has it that Subaru are considering a programme of racing, D1 Drift series and a possible return to Rallying if the R-GT class is properly organised and promoted.

For now...all we can do is look forward to the Monte-Carlo Rally which no matter what...should provide an entertaining event as ever!

#236 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,409 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:22

Bernardo Sousa confirmed to the local press here in Madeira he is in advanced negotiations to drive that GT Lotus in the IRC this season.

Not sure what the regulations for GT cars will be? Allowed in the WRC, IRC or both? Performance vs S2000 and WRC cars?

Edited by noikeee, 04 January 2012 - 09:23.

#237 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:21

Bernardo Sousa confirmed to the local press here in Madeira he is in advanced negotiations to drive that GT Lotus in the IRC this season.
Not sure what the regulations for GT cars will be? Allowed in the WRC, IRC or both? Performance vs S2000 and WRC cars?

Its a cracking machine no doubt, a friend of mine test drove one near the end of last year and said it was enormous fun! In terms of performance, certainly in the right hands on tarmac, it has the potential to get into the top 10, but not sure they will be challenging for wins.

One thing is for certain though... 3.5L V6 with Twin Superchargers and RWD...The little Exige is certainly going to be entertaining.....I just hope Lotus survives, as the much discussed 'product expansion' has truly stretched the resources and cash health of the company!

#238 EightGear

EightGear

• 405 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:55

Finally some good news:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96879

#239 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:48

It's a stretch isn't it.....

"'Mini' confirms entry".... Prodrive may have, but Mini certainly have not. Some telling comments from the FIA 'source':

"We have an agreement that Mini will be registered as a manufacturer for this year's championship. We understand there are existing concerns over the position of the promoter - and particularly the implications for the sport's coverage in Germany, but we are addressing those concerns"

Mini's parent company BMW is known to be unhappy about the level of coverage in Germany and about the ongoing situation with North One Sports

"This is not an ideal situation. Ideally we wanted, in fact everybody involved wanted, the original plan of two cars, two drivers: Sordo and Meeke doing all 13 rounds. That wasn't possible, so we had to find a solution which we have done. The priority here is that Mini is a manufacturer in the 2012 WRC."

Because the FIA knows that if it were to lose them, the WRC would spiral into a larger chasm than it is already in!

There is zero media activity planned by Mini in Monte Carlo and yesterday, all the conversation was of the rumour that BMW/Mini has already decided to part ways with the Prodrive/WRC effort.

Interesting timing of the 'article', very useful for the PR machine that says 'All is good....'.

Advertisement

#240 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:59

Finally some good news:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96879

That looks quite positive given the difficult circumstances :up:

#241 TC3000

TC3000

• 1,019 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:59

Very bad news coming in about Mini. It is reported MC will be their last event and Mini will no longer support Prodrive.

http://www.rallye-ma...-aus/index.html

I'm no hero on German though, but on other forums these rumours are heared as well.

If this article/report is true, then the original deal was that:

BMW would do the engine (same base as for the WTCC, so no big deal for them), and do the homologation as a manufacturer.
Prodrive would design and built the cars and find an external main sponsor to bankroll the project (think 555 for the Subaru project).

Apparently, according to the linked report, it was never BMW´s intention to finance this project.
Now Prodrive did not find a main sponsor and was strapped for cash, so apparently BMW hat to fill some of the holes, to get the project up and running, which they did not like.
Now, that even after the first promising showings of the car´s performance last year, no backer could be found, and the turmoil about the whole WRC promotion (NOS et all), BMW pulled the plug on the project.

They are in negotiations, about the homologation of the Mk.2 Mini (parts), as it seems, that you need a manufacturer to do it (e.g. Prodrive can't do it on there own).
If this can be sorted with the FIA, and some goodwill from BMW´s side, Prodrive can still try and make this a costumer project (as in selling cars to interested parties), but if they want to run the cars in the WRC (or other series), they would need to find an external sponsors to do so, BMW won´t provide the funding for such a project (running costs).
On top Prodrive will need to pay for the engines and engine parts for the future.

In the last part, it says that Gassner jr. had planed to run an S2000 Mini this year, with backing from Red Bull, but that this project is also on shaky ground now, as Red Bull is weary if the car will be competitive, with the ongoing issues between BMW and Prodrive, so he (Gassner jr.) is maybe forced to look at alternative options (different car).

I have no dog in this fight, and I don´t know if this is the truth or not, that´s just the quint essence of the article posted by "EigthGear".
It does not look to good for the WRC right now, and it´s about time that the FIA takes over the promotion again, and/or gives it to a serious company.
What´s going on with NOS and it´s parent/holding company together with the issues in F1, don´t cast a good light, and it´s not really a surprise that no other manufacturers want to enter at the moment.

On the other hand it´s good to see MC back on the WRC calendar (even if it means less cars and glory in the short term for the ACM), and places like Argentina going back to some "real" routes, and to what rallying has been all about in the past.
So from this perspective and with VW coming for 2013, it may does not look all gloom for the WRC.

IMO it´s time to scrap this Rally 2000 concept and go back to "real" rally´s ( 4000-5000 km, 3-4 days events, some with mixed surfaces such as San Remo & Portugal, and bring back night stages).
This is maybe not feasible for all the rounds, but I´m sure, there will be plenty of places (Argentina, Kenya, Finland) and some new countries which can and would make these type of events happen.
But that´s just my opinion, and I´m fine with other people point of view.

Edited by TC3000, 04 January 2012 - 13:04.

#242 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 13:06

If this article/report is true, then the original deal was that:

BMW would do the engine (same base as for the WTCC, so no big deal for them), and do the homologation as a manufacturer.
Prodrive would design and built the cars and find an external main sponsor to bankroll the project (think 555 for the Subaru project).

Apparently, according to the linked report, it was never BMW´s intention to finance this project.
Now Prodrive did not find a main sponsor and was strapped for cash, so apparently BMW hat to fill some of the holes, to get the project up and running, which they did not like.
Now, that even after the first promising showings of the car´s performance last year, no backer could be found, and the turmoil about the whole WRC promotion (NOS et all), BMW pulled the plug on the project.

They are in negotiations, about the homologation of the Mk.2 Mini (parts), as it seems, that you need a manufacturer to do it (e.g. Prodrive can't do it on there own).
If this can be sorted with the FIA, and some goodwill from BMW´s side, Prodrive can still try and make this a costumer project (as in selling cars to interested parties), but if they want to run the cars in the WRC (or other series), they would need to find an external sponsors to do so, BMW won´t provide the funding for such a project (running costs).
On top Prodrive will need to pay for the engines and engine parts for the future.

In the last part, it says that Gassner jr. had planed to run an S2000 Mini this year, with backing from Red Bull, but that this project is also on shaky ground now, as Red Bull is weary if the car will be competitive, with the ongoing issues between BMW and Prodrive, so he (Gassner jr.) is maybe forced to look at alternative options (different car).

I have no dog in this fight, and I don´t know if this is the truth or not, that´s just the quint essence of the article posted by "EigthGear".
It does not look to good for the WRC right now, and it´s about time that the FIA takes over the promotion again, and/or gives it to a serious company.
What´s going on with NOS and it´s parent/holding company together with the issues in F1, don´t cast a good light, and it´s not really a surprise that no other manufacturers want to enter at the moment.

On the other hand it´s good to see MC back on the WRC calendar (even if it means less cars and glory in the short term for the ACM), and places like Argentina going back to some "real" routes, and to what rallying has been all about in the past.
So from this perspective and with VW coming for 2013, it may does not look all gloom for the WRC.

IMO it´s time to scrap this Rally 2000 concept and go back to "real" rally´s ( 4000-5000 km, 3-4 days events, some with mixed surfaces such as San Remo & Portugal, and bring back night stages).
This is maybe not feasible for all the rounds, but I´m sure, there will be plenty of places (Argentina, Kenya, Finland) and some new countries which can and would make these type of events happen.
But that´s just my opinion, and I´m fine with other people point of view.

:up:

#243 PhilG

PhilG

• 474 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 23:35

That is a shame, the Mini looks like its going to be a good car, but if the article is to be believed , then the likelihood of Prodrive paying for engines from BMW is zero, and the job is over..

#244 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,537 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 23:47

That is a shame, the Mini looks like its going to be a good car, but if the article is to be believed , then the likelihood of Prodrive paying for engines from BMW is zero, and the job is over..

Especially considering their relative lack of performance in comparison with their rivals.....

#245 JimmyTheFox

JimmyTheFox

• 80 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:29

I can't seem to find any WRC Monte coverage in ESPN's UK TV schedule; have they dropped the WRC :confused:

Possible return to ITV? :clap:

#246 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:04

Some intresting points/claims in this piece which was released by CSI on the 1st of November 2011, which I was aimed at tonight by someone....what a difference two months makes! I added some numbers and bold type to some questions which pop into my head, none of which seem to be ever asked or questioned. I raise these points after the press release... This is not bashing NOS/CSI but simply trying to work out if what was presented was truth? or questionable or how such statements were made?...you can be your own judge. I am sure the FIA are also asking similar questions....

Eight Months with NOS

Today marks the eight month anniversary (1) of Convers Sports Initiatives (CSI) acquisition of North One Sport (NOS). The following press release looks at the development of the business since February and at the exciting future of the company.

(2)North One Sport is the rights holder of the FIA World Rally Championship, the Isle of Man TT, Clipper Round the World Yacht Race and Velux 5 Oceans Race.

FIA World Rally Championship

(3) One of the most significant developments has been the innovation of WRC TV, with the introduction of the Championship’s first ever made-for-TV live “Power Stages”. Each rally has seen its final stage broadcast live around the globe via a major outside broadcast operation funded by NOS and CSI.

(4)More TV content has been developed in response to requests from broadcasters and viewers. NOS, in partnership with CSI, has increased its programme output by 100% in 2011. This has seen the WRC TV audience grow by 6.3% during the first half of 2011 to 251 million viewers, and has been boosted by the completion of 14 new broadcast agreements.

(5)More digital content has been created following increased investment in the official Championship website (www.wrc.com) with 25% more video clips being made available. Since recruiting additional editorial staff at the start of this season, the amount of news and feature content on wrc.com has also increased by a quarter. The WRC Newsletter has grown to 6,532 recipients and social media audiences are up 25%.

NOS and CSI have made a major investment in a pioneering outside broadcast operation to provide the first ever Live Internet TV pilot on WRC.com at Rallye de France. This featured 14 hours of live stage action and interviews with drivers and team management. Online viewers from 66 different countries tuned in to follow the action and this technology will be used for some or all of the 13 rounds in 2012.

(6)In October, NOS hosted a high profile stand at Sportel, the leading Sports Media Rights market, where Prince Albert II of Monaco officially opened the WRC stand. Plans for a new, more global calendar, were announced and NOS met with over 60 different media owners to unveil a new multi-media WRC content offering for 2012.
The new season will be launched in January at the Championship’s most iconic rally location, Monte Carlo. This will be followed in the New Year by the launch of the new calendar for 2013, which will see the sport visiting new destinations.

In partnership with the FIA, NOS launched the inaugural WRC Academy featuring 23 young drivers aged between 18 and 24 from 5 continents representing 16 different nationalities. The winner will receive a €500,000 cash prize towards a WRC programme in 2012.

Isle of Man TT

(7)Isle of Man TT television audience figures have hit new highs in 2011 with a territory reach of over 80 countries and a total cumulative audience of 15.9 million, a 96% increase on 2010 (8.1 million). Broadcasters of the event include; ITV4, Discovery Turbo, Sport1, Viasat, Servus TV, Sport 5, Abu Dhabi Sports, SuperSport, One HD, Sky Sport, ESPN and Speed HD.

Clipper Round The World Yacht Race

Successful distribution of the 2009/10 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race has resulted in NOS being awarded a renewal of the TV distribution rights for the 2011/12 race, which is currently underway. Broadcasters for the 2009/10 Series include; the Discovery Network, ESPN Star Sports, SuperSport, Viasat, Fox Sports and Band Sports

Velux 5 Oceans Race

With the conclusion of the 2010/11 edition earlier this year, production of the documentary series has proved a success with broadcast deals already agreed with many worldwide broadcasters including; the Discovery Network, Viasat, Sport Klub, SuperSport, Fox Sports, Ten Sports, ESPN Star Sports and Band Sports, ahead of delivery in November.

NOS and CSI want to continue the progression of the business during 2012 with particular focus on reaching new audiences and maximising the ‘fan’ experience as much as possible. We look forward to the launch of another successful season for WRC and we’re excited to announce plans for the 2013 calendar. We are also encouraged about the year ahead for the Isle of Man TT and the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race which culminates in July, and we remain dedicated to providing an unrivalled experience for the viewer, whether that be live or watching from home.

1: If NOS (the WRC rights holder) was in fact SOLD to CSI and all the communications relating to the sale were that NOS was in fact sold, how then can it be claimed

North One Sport would like to categorically confirm that the business is a stand-alone subsidiary and that it is not in administration.

?? CSI BOUGHT the rights to the WRC did they not? If so...the rights holder is in administration, irrespective of what the 'NOS division of CSI' profess to be? No one has clarified this position and therefore it is no wonder manufacturers like BMW are utterly confused as to the status of the promoter? In short this is very simple, basic 101 PR failure and needs resoluton for all involved in the series.

2: Is it? Isn't CSI the rights holder? If CSI purchased NOS, it acquired the assets thereof? Surely? If not... this is possibly the cleverest sale I have ever encountered, as well as brave. Telling a Russian millionaire that what he thought he had purchased...he in fact...didn't, is a very risky proposition that you need extremely large cojones, to pull off!

3: False representation? Final stages have been shown live from WRC rounds for decades. Stately home stages from RAC/Network Q rallies were 'Specialy made for TV' stages, that went 'Live' into peoples homes around the world for years... but I guess, because they were not called 'Power Stages' this is a new 'innovation' in world rallying? Sorry...but THIS is the exact sort of claim that any investor would look at and question. WHY on earth would you try to claim the innovation of something that has been done for years? What abot the purpose built 'Super-Specials'..again, these were often shown 'Live'.

4: 250 million TV viewers and yet only 6532 take the WRC newsletter? Numbers can be thrown around like Candy..but actually proving the statistics presented/questioned, is another. All I can say, is that a conversion rate of 250m to 6532 newsletter subscribers.....is a VERY scarey ratio for any future investor.

5: Complaints were everywhere, about the reliability of the WRC.com website....if so much was invested, then why was it still so unreliable? Oh and just as an aside.. is there a clear trace of funds given to the WRC/NOS, that none of which came from Snoras bank? Yes its a difficult question, but manufacturers are being asked to invest millions along with sponsors in a series that MUST have 100% integrity. Proving the origin of all funds received must surely be a priority for the FIA, otherwise there might be MANY future skeletons waiting in the cupboard that will destroy any future opportunity for championship growth.

6: If I was an investor, I would be asking...is this what my millions buy me? in which case, why do I need you? Anyone can man a stand at sportel? I would of course be asking this AFTER I get cast Iron guarantee that if I think I am buying the 'Rights' to the WRC...then I actually AM buying the rights. Any investor will rightly consider ownership of the rights as an asset...irrespective of whether that investor goes bankrupt, the 'Rights' SHOULD..become an Asset for the creditor to sell, to help recover losses. If I was a creditor of CSI right now, I would be seeking an injunction on the 'Rights' which were bought. Otherwise the Press Releases stating CSI had bought the rights were false.

7: The Isle of Man TT....broadcast to over 80 countries, via these MAJOR sports broadcasters...ITV4, Discovery Turbo, Sport1, Viasat, Servus TV, Sport 5, Abu Dhabi Sports, SuperSport, One HD, Sky Sport, ESPN and Speed HD, yet only 15.9 million people is claimed as the audience????? How then, does the WRC reach 250 million viewers? and more importantly, has the WRC fallen so sharply in popularity that that even a bike race weekend on a remote island in the Irish Sea (one I love I might add)... can attract the might of Sky Sports, ITV4, Speed HD, etc...?? with an investor perspective, this simply does not compute...?

No where are these sorts of questions being asked openly currently....and the WRC is in desperate need of this sort of clarity. If the championship is not a silk purse right now, but a sow's ear...then sell it as such!! Do not sugar coat it and claim it to be something it is not currently..... Some major reality and honesty needs to be delivered in my opinion, and then..ONLY THEN...will potential investors start to believe what is being shovelled....

I was asked today, "What could be done to fix the WRC?".... understanding and answering the above, would help to clear the very muddy waters, we currently face! then I would simply do the following:
*Cancel all current agreements relating to the WRC, with the FIA taking back control of the championship with an interim team lead by Michele Mouton.

*Reduce the championship to a primarily European focus for this year, helping teams and broadcast outlets save costs, thus making what sponsor funds they do have, go further!

*Give the Monte to Eurosport to scramble a team together to try and match what they did last year.

*Hold a round table meeting with organisers, teams and comptitors to find out exactly what each group wants and see if all can be satisfied in some way.

*Change the variety of events more to old formats..its what made the sport so great.

*Give viewers back the imagery that once created dreams and passion to follow a sport.

*Conduct a fan survey within 6 months, to truly get an exact understanding of what the fans want, rather than this constant 'assumption' of what fans want, often getting it horribly wrong!

*Finally...review the car technical specifications, reduce aero grip, reduce electronics further and reduce the cost of the cars further still. £10,000 to £20,000 pounds for a front bumper or rear wing, is simply bloody stupid in a sport where such items are often knocked off!!!

THAT would be my starting point to get the WRC back on track to being once again, the popular sport it so deserves to be!

#247 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,081 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:58

Whilst I agree with you – no point in having a ’ fan survey’, the Manufacturers run this sport. They know best.....& pay the bills. So much so that we have 2.5 Manufacturers with VW joining next year. Success.....;)
Whilst I don’t like blowing my own trumpet – the thread I started about what Motorsport fans want from the WRC was extremely instructive. The new WRCars have gone down well with the Rallyfans, whilst they leave the ‘general Motorsport’ fan thinks of them as ‘shopping trolleys’.

#248 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,171 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:38

It's official, Quesnel has been replaced in Citroen Racing by Yves Matton. He will keep on working in endurance racing, though.

http://www.autohebdo...emplace-quesnel

#249 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:19

It's official, Quesnel has been replaced in Citroen Racing by Yves Matton. He will keep on working in endurance racing, though.

http://www.autohebdo...emplace-quesnel

I think that is a very good move for Citroen. :up:

#250 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:33

Whilst I agree with you – no point in having a ’ fan survey’, the Manufacturers run this sport. They know best.....& pay the bills. So much so that we have 2.5 Manufacturers with VW joining next year. Success.....;)
Whilst I don’t like blowing my own trumpet – the thread I started about what Motorsport fans want from the WRC was extremely instructive. The new WRCars have gone down well with the Rallyfans, whilst they leave the ‘general Motorsport’ fan thinks of them as ‘shopping trolleys’.

Your trumpet is perfectly in tune sir.. your thread gave an excellent snap shot of opinion and that's why I thought an official version on a global basis, could give the organisers the platform to say.."Ok...this is what the fans want it seems...lets give it to them. That way no one can complain if it does not work!"

If for no other reason... the FIA has to guarantee the safety of the rights to the championship and cancelling all contracts as null and void, would do this. If there are key members of the NOS team that are then involved in the interim management team, then if they are the best ones for that role, let them do it....

The biggest haunting issue right now, which cannot be ignored, is the potential 'fallout' from Snoras Bank funds... and if CSI own the Rights 'As was claimed', then those rights are in very real danger from being dragged into a potential future legal action from the investors of Snoras bank, looking to reclaim some of their money which 'appears' to have disappeared?