Photo

NASCAR 2012

• Please log in to reply
2191 replies to this topic

#1 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 21:48

With the 2011 Season done, its time to think about 2012.

To save writing out huge lists of stuff in this thread..

Schedules:
Sprint Cup: http://www.jayski.co...12cup_sched.htm
Nationwide Series: http://www.jayski.co...ideschedule.htm
Camping World Truck Series: http://www.jayski.co...12cts-sched.htm

Team charts:
Sprint Cup: http://www.jayski.co...s/2012teams.htm
Nationwide Series: http://www.jayski.co...nwide-chart.htm
Camping World Truck Series: http://www.jayski.com/cts/2012cts.htm

Will they run fuel injection full time ?
Will NASCAR technical changes break the two car draft racing we've seen lately ?
Will the ex Red Bull team find a backer and continue ?

Lets keep the countdown going, I know wqe've got some Bill Elliot fans, lets see him driving the #91 ! :)

Advertisement

#2 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 23:05

Everyones done a runner.. soooo

91 Days until Daytona 500 2012
Posted Image

#3 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,722 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:43

Will they run fuel injection full time ?

I believe that is the plan, yes.

Will NASCAR technical changes break the two car draft racing we've seen lately ?

They're trying to, but it's likely they can't completely get rid of it.

http://www.nascar.co...arby/index.html

Right now, the goal is trying to find a way to make it so that drivers don't need to do it to be competitive. Maybe the redesign will help, but Jimmie Johnson doesn't think so.

Will the ex Red Bull team find a backer and continue ?

It's looking pretty bleak right now.

Also, I imagine that we'll be seeing images of the new 2013 cars pop up on the web, probably sometime over the summer. It'll be interesting to see if really look that different (less boxy hopefully).

Any new faces for the Chase this year? This year we had Keselowski. I think those RPM dudes will be in the running, and I know this is a broken record, but Martin Truex. Note that TRD and Gibbs are merging engine departments, with the idea of having Gibbs horsepower coupled with TRD reliability.

Edited by Dilla, 28 November 2011 - 06:52.

#4 depailler on tyrrell p34

depailler on tyrrell p34

• 314 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:31

saturday and yesterday max papis was in monza with the toyota camry. I have got the pleasure to try the seat. Amazing!
Posted Image
Posted Image
here there is a video of my friend that was papis passenger during a lap in the monza track around the old oval! don't miss it!
http://motorsportran...-show-il-video/

#5 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 15:35

Thanks Crafty!
Gonna be tough to beat this years chase.
I was very surprised to see Jr. finish so highly in the chase, heck I didn't even think he'd make it.
In the spirit of the countdown to Daytona...Tim Richmond
Posted Image

#6 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 15:59

*cough* check numerical order *cough* :)

#7 Juablo

Juablo

• 730 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 18:12

Addington will crew chief for Stewart next year

http://www.nascar.co...-shr/index.html

#8 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 18:24

*cough* check numerical order *cough* :)

:drunk: subtle as a geordie you are :rotfl:

Seems the big news for today is that Addington is Stewarts new crew chief...

ETA my post overlapped Juablos.. so what do we think guys ? I guess if Addington could put up with Kurt yelling at him he should be able to handle smoke.

Edited by Crafty, 28 November 2011 - 18:27.

#9 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 18:44

Already looking forward to the Bucyrus 200! Remember that race? "Thanks, Max!" And Michael McDowell all over the freaking place.

And then, I'll be brushing up on my French for the NAPA Auto Parts 200 in Montreal--looks like they've gotten that sorted.

The rest of the NASCAR season is just you know, filler. :)

#10 blackonyx4

blackonyx4

• 1,284 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 19:29

A couple of friends went to Monza rally show last weekend. Sadly, I just couldn't afford to go with them these year. Already saving for Barcelona F1 trip next year.

The only thing that those two friends talked about today was not Loeb or Rossi, but the sound of NASCAR car. Although they went with me these year to Hungaroring (their first F1 race!), they said they would pick that sound before F1's high rev screamers any given day. Jaw dropping moment...

As for the next NASCAR season, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some good JV news...

#11 red stick

red stick

• 14,061 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 21:19

:drunk: subtle as a geordie you are :rotfl:

Seems the big news for today is that Addington is Stewarts new crew chief...

I guess if Addington could put up with Kurt yelling at him he should be able to handle smoke.

They've worked together before, so Addington should know what he's getting into.

How long does Penske have to keep Busch?

#12 red stick

red stick

• 14,061 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 21:34

And while I'm asking questions:

1. Will Kyle learn anything from his latest annual late-season slide? Or have we seen the ceiling on his personal growth?

2. Did Stewart prove that driver-owners still can do it all? Or just that Hendrick engines are a good thing to have?

3. Who gets Darian Grubb?

4. How many wins for Kasey Kahne in what should be the best equipment of his career?

5. Is Junior once again the fourth best driver at Hendrick?

6. Is 2012 the make or break year for Logano?

7. Who gets Reutimanned next?

8. Is Edwards the favorite for next year? Or, having come close, the next Denny Hamlin?

#13 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,722 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 21:51

Stewart is no Alan Kulwicki, I'll say that much.

In the spirit of the countdown to Daytona...Tim Richmond

About two months too early, bro. :)

Posted Image

Edited by Dilla, 28 November 2011 - 21:54.

#14 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,722 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 22:32

Woah. . .looks like Miguel Paludo will join his compatriot Nelson Piquet at Turner Motorsports.

http://www.nascar.co...2012/index.html

Quite unexpected (he was expected to re-sign with Red Horse).

-----------------------------

Also, Hendrick has told Grubb that he has a job at HMS if he wants it (as an engineer).

http://www.nascar.co...turn/index.html

I imagine that he'll be getting crew chief offers from Childress for Harvick and from Waltrip for Bowyer, though.

Edited by Dilla, 28 November 2011 - 22:42.

#15 John B

John B

• 7,954 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 22:45

That's Jody Ridley's #90 the year before he got Junie Donleavy's only NASCAR win in a enduro at Dover.

No lifetime wins for a #89 yet, plenty for #88 (even including Jr's recent tenure with it..... :p )

Edited by John B, 28 November 2011 - 22:47.

#16 Juablo

Juablo

• 730 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 00:30

Apparently Gibbs are refusing to release Zipadelli from his contract to become competition director at SHR. Surely they're better off letting him go rather than forcing him to see out his contract, especially considering his apparent lack of chemistry with Logano and the performance of the 20 car over the past two seasons. They have a ready made replacement with Jason Ratcliff or could even go for someone like Grubb.

#17 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,722 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 00:40

Probably because JD Gibbs may have had plans for promoting Zipadelli to a higher position himself. That's the only reason I can come up with outside of stubbornness.

Edited by Dilla, 29 November 2011 - 00:47.

#18 Juablo

Juablo

• 730 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:07

True, Zippy can't want to be crew chief forever. He's been leading that team for 13 seasons iirc and probably feels he's due for a promotion.

#19 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:17

Stewart is no Alan Kulwicki, I'll say that much.

About two months too early, bro. :)

Posted Image

yup, now I get it.
I was seeing old sleds, not the numbers.
Duh.
:o

Advertisement

#20 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:34

Is there any info on what went down between Grubb and Stewart? There must be more to this as success wasn't the issue.

#21 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:03

Is there any info on what went down between Grubb and Stewart? There must be more to this as success wasn't the issue.

Remember Tony's cryptic "dead weight" comment? That was well before Charlotte, right?

I'm still kinda ticked that Ganassi didn't scoop him up. He's clearly a good crew chief, smart people (like Tony and I, heh) saw that as soon as he won races as Knaus' fill-in after "back window-gate."

what's the highest profile open Crew Chief position? Probably the 22, right? <shudder>

#22 f1seb

f1seb

• 1,545 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:32

J.P. tweeted on the 21st that there will be some exciting news this week. Anybody know what he meant by that? Was it the tournament in Colombia with Brian "Smash Every Car In Sight and Then Some More" Vickers?

#23 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:53

Remember Tony's cryptic "dead weight" comment? That was well before Charlotte, right?

I'm still kinda ticked that Ganassi didn't scoop him up. He's clearly a good crew chief, smart people (like Tony and I, heh) saw that as soon as he won races as Knaus' fill-in after "back window-gate."

what's the highest profile open Crew Chief position? Probably the 22, right? <shudder>

Yeah, one comment, there must have been a whole lot more going on.

I'm not sure what's going on in Kurt's life right now but he's not in a good place. He's got to learn to control his emotions.

#24 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,722 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:08

Coincidentally, Kurt has been going through a divorce this year. Not sure if that is the reason for the extra blowups because he's already been a hothead, but yeah.

And I believe that Stewart was referring to some girlfriend drama that had been done away with when he was referring to dead weight, not Grubb. The fact of the matter is that Stewart was dead in the water the first 26 races to the point where Stewart commented that he didn't deserve to even in the Chase. Regardless of the championship, I think Stewart would be like more consistency throughout the season.

I don't think that Grubb wants to go to a struggling team. Would you go to a team like Ganassi when there are jobs for powerhouses like Gibbs (assuming Zippy walks to Stewart or is promoted), Hendrick and Childress available? Keep it 100.

Edited by Dilla, 29 November 2011 - 04:27.

#25 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:23

Is Ganassi picking up any staff in his attempts to get JPM and McM further up the standings?

#26 Juablo

Juablo

• 730 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:52

They've hired John Probst as technical director and a new aero guy in addition to Heroy

#27 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,722 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:59

Oh Lawdy.

Front Row Motorsports driver lineup for 2012 not set: [Front Row Motorsports owner Bob] Jenkins has been pouring millions into Front Row as it seeks major sponsorship. Staying in the top 35 could help, as could recruitment of a driver such as David Ragan (who is under the Ford umbrella but was phased out at Roush Fenway), David Reutimann or Brian Vickers. [Team manager Jerry] Freeze said he expected the team's crewmembers and drivers to be settled by early January (#34-David Gilliland, #38-Travis Kvapil and #55-J.J. Yeley are not under contract for 2012). "It's such an unusual time to have a fairly good crop of drivers that are out there and available," Freeze said. "Not to mention the guys that drove for us last year."(USA Today)(11-29-2011)

Front Row, I respect you guys because you've gone from a start-and-park team to having two cars in the top 35. Don't ruin it by signing Brian Vickers.

#28 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:36

Oh lord, please give us David Ragan and Regan Smith at the same team. And have them frequently qualify on the same row.

#29 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 15:07

I think reutimann would be the most competitive of those guys

#30 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 17:27

Robby Gordon enjoying the off-season at Glamis.
This place is down the road a piece from me, and had +/- 150k folks show up for some off road goodness last weekend.
If you ever wondered what happened to all those Cadillac Northstar aluminum V-8's, you'll find a slew of them down there in the back of some bad ass sandrails.
Posted Image

#31 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 17:51

Oh lord, please give us David Ragan and Regan Smith at the same team. And have them frequently qualify on the same row.

HA, seconded. But I don't like David Ragan, I think he lacks respect for at least one of his competitors (coughJPMcough) so I'd be just as happy if it were Reutimann.

#32 Juablo

Juablo

• 730 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 17:55

Ragan's being linked to Front Row Motorsports not Furniture Row :p

#33 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 17:57

Oh, right.

Front Row is the random Long John Silver's/A&W/Taco Bell/Whoever cars?

#34 Juablo

Juablo

• 730 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 18:00

Yep, #34, #38 and #55 but Waltrip's gonna use the 55 next year so they'll have to change that number

#35 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,040 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 18:21

In Jp's world... the 22 crew chief job goes to.....
Fran Lebowitz
(Shithead wouldn't get a word in edgewise)
:rotfl:
Jp

#36 John B

John B

• 7,954 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 19:12

Kahne has to be the driver to watch given his late momentum - would have been a strong Chase contender with a Redbull no less had he been able to qualify. Hendrick has had several other much-anticipated drivers struggle upon joining his team historically but I don't see that happening. It might also push Johnson and Knauss to raise their level more than the other team cars have. Likely a big relief for Hendrick who has seen Busch and Keselowski depart and strengthen their competitors.

Edited by John B, 29 November 2011 - 19:15.

#37 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 19:28

Robby Gordon enjoying the off-season at Glamis.
This place is down the road a piece from me, and had +/- 150k folks show up for some off road goodness last weekend.
If you ever wondered what happened to all those Cadillac Northstar aluminum V-8's, you'll find a slew of them down there in the back of some bad ass sandrails.
Posted Image

So Jeff Burton likes answering questions on twitter. Someone asked him if he'd get in to a buggy with Robby.. answer "NO!" :drunk:

He also said "Really pumped up about Drew coming on board. He was tops of my list. Very honored to have him. Lets go kick some ass"

Q "What happens to Luke now?"
A "Announcement soon, gonna be with RCR"

Q "Think crew chief change will help Harvick ?"
A "RCR has a lot happening that will help all teams"

This one made me giggle a bit..
Q "Do you ever go to Harvicks house and race at his go kart tracks with the others?"
A "Hell no!"

Rodney Combs in the 89.. in 89(I think..)!
Posted Image

#38 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 1,030 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 00:50

Oh Lawdy.

Front Row, I respect you guys because you've gone from a start-and-park team to having two cars in the top 35. Don't ruin it by signing Brian Vickers.

It would make sense for them to get David Ragan. Roush has a lot of influence over all the Ford teams considering they all get equipment from him. I could easily see he and Ford telling Front Row that Ragan will be their driver for a year. Maybe they can give Stenhouse a few races as well.

But yeah, Front Row is an example of why I don't mind the start and park teams. Some people just loath them but really 99% do it out of necessity, not profit. Front Row s&p'd to get funds just to keep things going. This past year they were finally able to get some decent sponsors and it allowed them be in the Top 35. Now if they could get Ragan or David Reutimann, they would easily have their most talented driver to date and would give them a chance to see what they are really capable of. As we saw with FURNITURE Row this year, winning a race isn't out of the realm of possibility.

#39 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:22

you guys better knock off the Ragan to Front Row, you are going to ruin his world...
Anyhoo, the final standings, and purses, list is out, a few things caught my eye.
Carl Edwards took home two mil more than Stewy for the season. And came in 2nd.
Keselowski came in 5th, and won 5 mil, Juan came in 23rd...and took 5 mil. Go figure.
And while you are in the start and park mood, Dave Blaney, who I consider in that group, pinned down 3.2 mil.

Advertisement

#40 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,722 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:33

For Stewart/Edwards, Carl Edwards won the million dollar purse in the All-Star Race and finished 2nd in the Daytona 500. Also, when Stewart was struggling for most of the season scrapping by with finishes in the top 15, Edwards was consistently collecting top 5 purses.

Don't know about BK/JPM, though. And Dale Jr. is looking lonely in the top 13. :p

Edited by Dilla, 30 November 2011 - 04:42.

#41 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:36

Anyhoo, the final standings, and purses, list is out, a few things caught my eye.

Keselowski came in 5th, and won 5 mil, Juan came in 23rd...and took 5 mil. Go figure.

Now that is weird, because Brad has a few wins so there should be nice payouts for those.

#42 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 15:37

Other tidbits:
Joe Needacheck started 36 races,finished 65th, scored 0 points, yet collected 2.9 mil.
Not a bad way to make a living!
WWMkII searches for the rattiest hauler, a banged up chassis and a crate engine to form the Atlas race team, hires Ross to qualify it for 10% of the purse ;)

#43 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 15:42

We'll never be able to agree on a purse split. Because if we are Start & Park, Inc you can either qualify your own car and keep all the money or I can bash together enough of a vehicle to pass tech every weekend.

We should definitely do the Indy 500 though. I think that's about 250k for last place.

#44 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:40

We'll never be able to agree on a purse split.

Yeah, you are probably right. I'd be taking the creased fenders out of the split. With no engineer, it would probably cost you a bit for all the wall scrapes...
But seriously, Start and Park, Inc and it's start up expences, would probably run about a mil, in the first year it would pay almost 200% profit. Not bad at all.

#45 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:47

Dear Roger

Since you are not using the 12 car or it's equipment, can I borrow it?

All my love,

#46 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:47

Actually the 12 is the 22 now I think, technically. So his extra car is the...uh...77?

#47 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:55

Actually the 12 is the 22 now I think, technically. So his extra car is the...uh...77?

Yup, I think Hornish is going to run 10-12 races in the 77 though.

#48 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:27

Yeah, you are probably right. I'd be taking the creased fenders out of the split. With no engineer, it would probably cost you a bit for all the wall scrapes...
But seriously, Start and Park, Inc and it's start up expences, would probably run about a mil, in the first year it would pay almost 200% profit. Not bad at all.

Now where was that lottery ticket :rotfl:

#49 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:34

Heh, what ever happened to that guy who won the lotto and started a truck team? They still going?

#50 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:52

Heh, what ever happened to that guy who won the lotto and started a truck team? They still going?

Yeah, that's who Hornaday is driving for in 2012.